I Will Love You Forever Pt. 2 Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before they left, Ani, Jiro and her father stood before them. Mai looked each of them in the eyes for several seconds before she spoke.

"Anata wa subete no watashiniha shinde iru- you are all dead to me. Ko o nozoku dare mo watashi ni hanashikakenai kamo shirenai- no one but the child may speak to me. He is an innocent.

Ani felt as if she had been sucker punched. She knew that Mai had been angry, but to pronounce them dead? She had hoped that once the wedding took place and Mai grew accustomed to the idea, that she would see that they did what they thought best. That they were looking after her welfare as she seemed incapable of doing so for herself. She thought that Tamayo would allow Mai to finish her residency- apparently; she was wrong. She was beginning to see that she had been wrong about a few things. It had taken losing Mai to make her see that. The question that she asked herself was this- if given the chance, would she have done anything differently? Sadly the answer was no. Right or wrong, she would have done the same things. It wasn't her place to change or question things but- if that was so, then why did she feel so horrible?

They watched as Mai followed Tamayo to a waiting car. It would be the last time that they would see Mai for a long time.

*****

Niko was worried. It was Wednesday and Florrie hadn't been to school since the picnic at his house. He tried to hide his concern but it finally got the best of him. During the recess period, he went to the teacher.

"Mrs. Randall?"

"Yes Niko? She asked as she began to grade papers."

"I'm worried about Florrie..."

At this she looked up from her papers. The truth was, she was worried too. Florrie was one of her best students and had never missed more than one day.

"I'm worried too," she confessed. "I'll go check on her after school today, how's that?"

Niko nodded eagerly, his anxiety slightly eased. He wondered if he should tell the teacher about Florrie being hurt. If he did, he might get into trouble, but if he didn't then no one would help her.

"Mrs. Randall- I-I think that her father hurts her."

"Maybe she's sick," she replied. She had the same suspicions, but she wasn't about to tell a child that. The problem was, if that was the case; what could she do about it? "I'll stop by her house after school. I'm sure that she's alright and will be back tomorrow. Why don't you go play and try not to worry."

Niko walked away not at all convinced that Florrie was alright.

As Mrs. Randall thought, Florrie was at school the next day. She was quiet and didn't return his smile and happy greeting.

"Florrie? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine... I forgot to thank you for letting me come to your house."

"You're welcome- I hope that you can come again."

Florrie didn't reply. She couldn't bring herself to tell Niko that her father had finally gotten a job and that they would be moving to Texas. She forced herself to smile and tagged him.

"Tag! You're it!" and took off running.

By lunch, she was back to her cheerful self. She wanted her last hours of school to be happy ones. At the end of the day, she had no choice but to tell Niko that she was moving.

"Where?" Niko asked thinking that she was moving to another house.

"Texas, my father got a job in the oil fields. He said that things will get better now that he has a job. He promised not to hurt us anymore."

Even at his young age, Niko didn't believe it even though he didn't know why. Unashamed, he allowed a tear to escape. Florrie had been his first true friend and now he was losing her. Not only that, he had become her protector at school. No one teased her and called her names like 'Oink' or 'fatso' or 'piggy'. Who would protect her at this new place?

When Florrie's mother came to get her, she gave Niko a sad smile and thanked him.

"You've been a good friend to my Florrie- thank you."

Niko sadly watched as Florrie and her mother walked away. "Niko?" Abby called from behind him, "What's wrong?"

She listened as Niko told her about Florrie's leaving.

"When are they leaving?" Abby asked.

"Today was her last day," Niko replied.

"But she didn't say when they were leaving?"

"No," Niko replied miserably.

"Let's get you home," Abby said. Her mind was already going at a hundred miles an hour. "What's your teacher's name? Randall isn't it?"

"Yes..."

"Good," was all that Abby said under her breath as she helped Niko into the car. She didn't know what she could do, but she had to do something.

The next morning, Abby was at the school early hoping that Mrs. Randall was early. It wasn't too long before the teacher arrived at the school. Abby introduced herself and asked for a moment of the teacher's time.

"What are you proposing?" Mrs. Randall asked when Abby was through. "Legally there isn't much that we can do."

"I'm well aware of that," Abby replied, "but what if we got her mother to leave her here?"

"And then what? Who will take care of her? Where will she live?" Randall asked. "And what about her father? I went to the house to check on things and I swore that he was going to hit me."

"I'm not afraid of men like him- I was married to one. As far as where Florrie will stay, she can stay with me. I live alone and it'll be nice to have a youngster around."

"What is it that you want me to do?" Randall asked.

"Go with me, help me convince Florrie's mother that it's in Florrie's best interest that she stay here. After she agrees, I can take things from there."

"Why are you doing this?" Randall asked. "What's in it for you?"

Abby smiled remembering being asked the same question several years before. Then the answer had been it was because no one should be kept from the one that they loved. Now it was because she had seen something in the little girl. She saw an intelligence that mirrored Patricia's and given the chance, the girl could go far.

"Will you help me?" Abby asked after answering the question.

After thinking about it for several minutes, Randall agreed; but with one stipulation. She wanted a male nearby in case things got out of hand. Abby agreed, but the only person that she could think of was Nick. After promising to take care of it, Abby left. She felt absolutely wonderful.

She went to Nick's office hoping that he would be in and not in court. He wasn't in, but Will was.

"Abby!" he said surprised to see her, "what brings you here?"

"I was hoping to talk to Nick; do you know when he'll be back?"

"He's in court, but he shouldn't be long. Is there something that I could help you with?"

"Well-maybe..."

She explained the situation and told him what she hoped to accomplish.

"You'll need the father's permission as well," Will told her.

"I don't think that he'll give it," Abby murmured. "Isn't there anything that we can do?"

"Legally no, all I can say is that you need his permission in writing. Are you going to see this family alone?"

"No-Florrie's teacher is going with me and she wants a man to go along. I was going to ask Nick if he was available."

"If he can't then I will," Will said. "I agree with the teacher. This man sounds volatile. I'll draw up some papers for them to sign. It won't take long if you want to wait."

Abby decided to wait for the papers. Besides, she still needed to talk to Nick- it wouldn't hurt to have back up. He arrived almost thirty minutes later as surprised to see her as Will had been. She quickly explained the situation and waited for his response.

"Will is right- the father has got to agree as well, but let's say that he does; Abby are you ready for a child? I know from Kenji and Patricia that your time won't be your own..."

"Nick," Abby said firmly, "what in the hell am I doing now? I help Kenji and Patricia, but other than that what am I doing with my time? This little girl and her mother need help. Are you going to help me or not?"

Nick blew out a breath, thought for several seconds and then finally agreed. For one, he knew that Abby would go with or without him and secondly; he understood what was happening.

"I'll meet you at the school at four, but Abby if they refuse, then it's over."

"I understand," Abby said. "Will is coming too."

*****

Florrie tearfully packed up her few belongings. The plan was to leave first thing Saturday morning. What she didn't understand was why she couldn't go to school for the last day. She pushed as far as she dared stopping when she saw the nervous tic in her father's jaw. It became more pronounced when her mother lobbied on her behalf. Suddenly, Florrie understood something. Things weren't going to change no matter how much money they had. Her father would always be the grown up version of the bullies at school.

Tears welled in her eyes as she thought about school. It had become the only place where she felt truly safe and that was because of Niko. She would be going to a new school where she knew that she would be teased because of the dirty blond color of her hair and her chunkiness. Maybe she could ask her father about not going to school. She hadn't been teased in so long that the thick skin that she had developed had grown thin. The bottom line was this- she didn't want to leave but what could she do?

To cheer herself up, she thought about the picnic at Niko's house. She was still amazed at the amount of love and affection that she saw. Her mother hadn't believed her when she told her about it.

"Nobody acts like that," her mother said. "They just pretended because you were there."

"No mom- it was real! Niko's dad called Niko's mom Kirei- it's Japanese for beautiful. His dad served his mom and ..."

"I don't believe it," her mother interrupted gently.

"I asked Niko if his dad ever hurt him and he said no... Niko doesn't tell fibs- he says that it's wrong."

Ruthie Lane looked at her daughter and smiled. She didn't dare dream of a life where she could be cared for like that. It wasn't going to happen. It hadn't happened for her mother or her mother before her. If there was one thing she wished for Florrie, it would be that. She would sell her soul if it meant that her baby girl wouldn't have to live the life that she did.

"Of course he doesn't lie," Ruthie said softly, "he's a good friend."

"Mom? Why is daddy so mad all the time? I try to be good and to do as I'm told."

"It isn't us," Ruthie replied. "Your daddy loves us, but he isn't a happy person. Just remember that you're a good person no matter what your daddy or anyone else says."

Florrie replayed that conversation in her head a thousand times and clung to the part that she was a good person. As far as her father loving them, she had never really believed it. After spending the day with Niko and his family; she knew that it wasn't true. Her father didn't even like himself; how could he like anyone else?

When she heard her mother puttering around the kitchen, Florrie went to help her. As far as she was concerned, this was the worst part of the day. Her father's mood was dependent upon several things- if food was cooking, if there was a beer waiting for him and if he had won at cards. If none of the above happened, they were in for a hard night. If all of the above happened; all would be good. If only one of the things happened..."

Florrie checked the fridge relieved that here were two bottles of beer sitting on the shelf. She touched one to check the temperature grateful that they were cold. She hurried to set the table and made sure that the bottle opener was next to her father's plate. The biscuits were already to go into the oven- there were extra for the ride to Texas and the chicken was ready to fry. Her mother had made extra of everything for the trip. There wouldn't be extra money to spend on food and other luxuries. They weren't even going to stay in a hotel-they were going to drive straight through.

Dinner was barely on the table when he walked in. Both Florrie and her mother froze and moved closer to each other.

"How are the two prettiest girls in California?" he boomed when he walked into the kitchen. "Supper sure smells good! You made extra didn't you? We can't afford to be spending money on food."

"I made extra," Ruthie said softly pulling Florrie closer to her not trusting her husband's good mood.

"Good, let's eat and hit the sack, I want to be out of here before the sun rises."

Just before six, there was a tap on the door.

"You were expecting someone?" He asked suspiciously.

"N-No," Ruthie stammered. "I don't know who it is."

Michael Lane stood up from the table and went to the door.

"What do you want?" he asked when he saw Mrs. Randall and Abby at the door.

Randall was nervous, but Abby wasn't. She looked up him and smiled sweetly.

"We heard that you were moving and wanted to talk to you about Florrie and her future. May we come in?"

Michael Lane stepped back and let them in. He didn't see Nick and Will until it was too late.

"On second thought," he said, "let's keep this outside. The house is a mess with us moving and all."

Abby could see Florrie and her mother standing behind him with anxious expressions on their faces.

"I would like to speak to your wife and Florrie as well," Abby said.

Michael smiled down at her revealing the charmer that he could be if he chose so. "They're busy getting ready to go. What do you want?"

Abby looked at Randall and nodded. It was time for her to make her pitch.

"Mr. Lane- Florrie is one of my best students. She's to the point where she is making friends and becoming more confident in herself. I think that a move would be detrimental to her at this point. I suggest letting her finish out the school year..."

"Uh huh and where is she supposed to stay? Who's going to feed her? In case you haven't noticed she isn't a little girl. What about her clothes?"

"That's where I come in," Abby said. "I live alone so I have plenty of room. I also have no other dependents so I can afford to give Florrie whatever she needs. I agree with Mrs. Randall- Florrie is exceptionally bright. A move right now may not be in her best interest."

Ruthie moved closer so that she could hear the conversation. She could hardly believe it; someone was offering to take Florrie. If Florrie stayed she would have a chance at a good life.

"Michael? Maybe we should think about it. "We can go to Texas, find a place and come back to get her. It'll be easier that way."

"Mom..."

"Shush Florrie," Ruthie said realizing that she was fighting for Florrie's future.

"Did you know about this?" Michael asked as he turned to look at Ruthie. "Did you set this up?"

"She knew nothing about it," Abby said drawing his attention away from his wife. "Mrs. Randall and I talked and thought that we could be of some help. As your wife said, it would be easier for you to find a place to live and to get settled without a child."

Michael didn't buy it and looked at Florrie. "What you been saying girl?"

"N- no-nothing daddy, I promise," Florrie replied with a tremor in her voice. She watched as the good mood that her father had been in slowly turned into a dangerous one. It was turning into one that would have her hiding under her bed.

Hearing the change of tone in Michael's voice, Nick and Will stepped forward.

"Who in the fuck are you?" Michael demanded angrily.

"Friends of the ladies who happen to be attorneys," Nick said as he stepped closer. "There's no need to get angry, they're only trying to help..."

"Who asked for their help?" Michael asked, "I sure as hell didn't, now get the hell off my porch!"

"Michael- wait," Ruthie said. "Let her stay, we'll save money that way too. It's only for a few months. I can get a job and help out. Please let her stay."

For just a minute, Abby thought that he was going to agree. So did Ruthie, she began to push Florrie toward the door when he spoke.

"Get the fuck off my porch before I call the cops."

He started to close the door, but Abby stuck her foot in. "May I at least say goodbye to her?"

Reluctantly, Michael Lane moved aside so that Florrie could get by him. Abby knelt in front of the girl and took her chubby face in her hands.

"Florence Lane, you are a beautiful little girl who is going to grow up to be a beautiful woman. One day you're going to make your mark on the world just like Florence Nightingale did. Don't let anyone tell you that you're not special and if they do; don't believe it." Abby slid her hands from Florrie's face, to her arms and took her hands in hers. She pressed a small piece of paper into her hand and then hugged her. "You call me collect if you ever need me and I'll come get you- I promise."

As if sensing what Abby was saying, Michael grabbed Florrie and pulled her back. He gave the group standing on the porch a final glare and slammed the door shut in their faces. Abby stared at the closed door and then began to pound on it.

"Abby, let's go," Nick said as he tried to pull her away.

"I know that you hit her!" Abby screamed through the door. "You beat your wife too you miserable son of a bitch!"

Nick picked Abby up, carried her from the porch and hugged her. He didn't know what it was about that little girl that made her react so strongly, but it didn't matter. She was right, Michael Lane was hurting his family and there wasn't a damned thing that he could do about it.

Nick took Abby home, while Will drove Mrs. Randall back to the school. He didn't know what to say to her. I'm sorry didn't seem adequate or appropriate. If he had had his way, he would have beaten Michael Lane so badly he would never want to hurt another person, but he couldn't. He was an officer of the law.

"This is wrong," Abby said softly. "No man should be allowed to hurt his family."

Nick didn't say anything- he agreed.

The next morning Abby drove to Florrie's house hoping that they hadn't left yet. If they hadn't, she was going to try again. As soon as she pulled up, she knew that they were gone and that they had probably left not long after they did. She hoped that Florrie would remember what she told her and that she would use the phone number if she got into trouble. Now she had to tell Niko that she had failed. Florrie was gone.

*****

Saul changed his shirt four times wishing that he knew what Isadora's favorite color was. Finally he decided to go with a white dress shirt and dark slacks. He ran his hands through his dark hair that had just been cut by Cora. "This isn't a real date," he murmured and then he grinned. "Of course it is- we're just not alone."

As he finished dressing, thoughts of Harry crept in. What would he say about his interest in a black woman? Would he be placed on the list of those that Harry hated? He had tried several times to catch Harry at work, but had either just missed him or Harry was avoiding him. He suspected the latter. Saul was almost certain that Harry's mother had told him that he had come to the house looking for him. He sighed. The time to talk to Harry was getting short unless he kept going to his house. In two weeks his job at the train station would end and he would be a full time college student. His stomach did a flip at the thought. He had never imagined anything like this happening. He had never imagined falling in love with a woman of color either, but yet; both of those things had happened.

The more he thought about it, the more he realized that maybe things were meant to happen as they did- definitely not killing his father or going to prison, but the rest of it- he was convinced that he would still have met Jacob Lincoln or someone like him and he would still be here getting ready for a date with the woman of his dreams. He was tempted to set a goal of when he would go on a date alone with her, but nixed the idea. He would go as slowly as she needed him to. He could and would wait for her. He had the feeling that she would be well worth the wait.

1...345678