I Will Love You Forever Pt. 2 Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He was at the library early. He didn't want to miss a minute of being with Isadora. Isadora, Maeve and Ernie walked up a few minutes after he got there. Isadora was dressed in a light blue dress with white sandals. To Saul she was the most beautiful woman in sight if not the world. His father used to feel that way about his mother, but that was before he began to drink and became an abusive brute. As Isadora walked toward him, Saul wondered how she would react to the news that he had been imprisoned for murder. He hoped that once she heard the circumstances that she would understand. He hoped that she understood that he would do it again if need be to protect her and his family. That prompted another thought- his family and their reaction.

"Saul," he muttered, "you're getting too far ahead of yourself."

"Hi Saul," Maeve greeted when they finally reached him. "This is Ernie, Ernie this is Saul Mullins from South Carolina. He'll be starting classes in two weeks."

Saul and Ernie shook hands and assessed each other before relaxing. Ernie saw that Saul was no more interested in Maeve than he was interested in Isadora. It wasn't that he didn't think that Isadora was pretty, she was; but not his type.

Maeve took charge of the tour and made sure that Isadora had to walk with Saul. By the end of the tour, Isadora had relaxed enough that she and Saul were talking freely. It helped that all of his questions pertained to school. During the social, Maeve introduced Saul to a few of the students that would be in some of his classes. One of them was a pretty brunette who tried to latch onto Saul by offering to help him study. Maeve looked over at Isadora to see what her reaction was. "Aha!" She thought when she saw Isadora's eyes squint. She looked at Saul to see how he was handling the blatant flirtation. She was impressed with how he gently put the girl off. "Yep," she thought, Saul Mullins had it bad.

After the social, Ernie drove Saul and then Isadora home. He waited in the car to give Maeve and Isadora a few minutes for girl chat and then lightly tapped on the horn. He still had several applications to go through. He had only agreed to go to the social because he and Maeve hadn't spent any real time together and that concerned him. A lot of things about their relationship concerned him and at some point, they needed to talk.

****

Isadora went into the house hoping to sneak into her room unseen. She knew that Bella had wanted to talk to her ever since the picnic and so far, she had managed to avoid her.

"Did you have a nice time?"

"Yes, it was fun," Isadora replied as she headed for her room.

"Isadora, sit down for a minute," Bella said, "I want to talk to you."

"I really need to..."

"It won't take long, I promise," Bella said as she patted the empty spot next to her on the couch. When Isadora was sitting, Bella took her hands in hers. "Honey, people are talking about you and the white boy. Most don't care- they like him, but others..."

"There's nothing to talk about," Isadora broke in.

"Isadora, are you really that naïve? That boy is in love with you- anybody with half a brain can see it."

"He doesn't even know me!" Isadora exclaimed. "And I'm not interested in him or any other man."

"Why is that?" Bella asked. "I've told you before that I know that something happened to you and I can even guess what it is, but Isadora at some point you're going to have to share it with someone."

"What does he have to do with this?" Isadora snapped.

"Nothing or maybe everything," Bella replied. "All I know is what I see and I'll tell you something else that I see... you like him. If you didn't you wouldn't have taken so long to get ready..."

"So?" Isadora retorted.

"Isadora, aside from whatever your issue is- why are you so afraid of this man?"

"I'm not... it's just that he's white and...."

"And what?" Bella asked. "The last I knew white people had the same body parts as black people or any other people for that matter. As far as him not knowing you, you haven't given him a chance."

"Why are you so concerned about this?" Isadora asked.

"My concern is for you," Bella replied. "Like him or not, but if you decide not to get to know him; ask yourself why. If it's because he's white- then ask yourself since when do you care what people think? If it's only because he's a man, then ask yourself if it isn't time to put those demons of yours to rest. If it's because you're simply not interested; then fine and douse the fire before it gets any bigger."

Isadora pulled her hands from Bella's and looked at her. She knew that Bella was right about the demons in her, but she needed them. They were the fuel that kept her going. Whenever she got tired and thought that she couldn't possibly read another page or write another word, all she had to do was close her eyes and think about them-specifically him. The one she was sure made her...

"Bella, thank you for your concern, but I'll be fine."

Bella noticed that she avoided the topic of Saul but didn't press. She had gotten out what she wanted to say. Isadora went to her room, changed clothes and sat down to study. She found that she couldn't focus because the conversation with Bella wouldn't let her be. She had to admit that she knew that Saul was interested in her, but in love with her- unlikely. He was just another white man drawn by the taboo of wanting to be with a white woman. Even as she thought it, she knew that it wasn't true, but it suited her purpose to believe that it was. She forced herself to go back to studying although she was more than prepared for the upcoming exam. Within a few minutes, she was immersed in her studies. Thoughts about Saul and the conversation with Bella faded away as she read the text.

****

Saul floated on air. In his mind the evening had been a resounding success. The only down point had been when the brunette openly flirted with him, but that had been easily dealt with. He did notice that Isadora had been watching through squinted eyes. She was jealous! She might not have acknowledged it, but she was. That told him what he wanted and needed to know- Isadora liked him in spite of her act of indifference.

He was in the process of changing clothes when Reggie called through his door, "You've got company!"

Saul frowned, who would be coming to see him at nine at night? His frowned turned into a smile; it had to be Harry- who else could it be? He quickly finished changing and rushed out to the living room. Harry was sitting on the sofa holding a glass of juice in his hands. Saul thought that he looked nervous and wondered why. He had eaten plenty of meals at the house. It was an observation that he tucked away for possible use.

"Harry! It's good to see you..."

"Why are you looking for me?" Harry asked icily. "I told you that you're safe, now what do you want?"

"Why do you think that I want anything?" Saul asked staring into Harry's eyes, "In all the time that we've known each other, have I ever asked you for anything? I was looking for you because you're my friend even if you no longer consider me yours."

Harry visibly jerked. Saul was his friend and always would be, but he could only do so much to keep him safe.

"Saul-you don't understand..."

"Understand what? That you're part of a group that condones criminal activity? I understand that you think that you're doing it for the right reason, but Harry-robbing people no matter what the reason is wrong and you know it. How long will it be before someone is accidentally killed or hurt?"

"Listen to Mr. College man," Harry scoffed. "You sit there and talk about right and wrong, but look at you- nice clothes, plenty to eat. You can go any place you want because of the color of your skin. Things need to change and if we have to kill to make it happen, then we will."

Saul stared at the young man before him. This wasn't the same man that he had become friends with at the train station. That man hadn't been so bitter and angry. That man wouldn't have entertained the thought of hurting anyone. When had that man disappeared?

"This isn't you," Saul said softly. "The Harry that I knew wouldn't do what you're doing. You're angry and rightfully so, but... Harry- what happened? When did you decide that it was alright to rob and possibly hurt innocent people?"

"I always felt that way," Harry replied defensively.

"Liar," Saul said quietly. "If you continue this, you will get caught. If someone dies, you could go to prison for the rest of your life. Is that what you want? I can tell you from very personal experience that you don't want to go there. For as tough as you think you are- there's someone tougher. It's a dangerous place that I survived only because someone took me under his wing. Harry- there's another way- the right way. It will take time, but don't all things worth fighting for?"

"We're tired of waiting," Harry replied.

"We?" Saul asked, "Are you talking about those thugs that I see you eating lunch with? Harry wake up! They don't care about what's happening around them- they're in it for the money and nothing else. Harry- there's a way out of this, but you've got to leave that gang. There's a way that you can make a difference in a more positive way."

"Sure," Harry said as he laughed. "There's a tooth fairy and a Santa Claus too."

Saul heard the hope and uncertainty in his voice and made a decision. Noah Jackson might be angry about it, but his friend's life was at stake."

"Harry, there's a man that can help you. In fact, he was part of the reason that I was looking for you. He wants to talk to you."

"Why would a white man want to help a black man?" Harry asked. "What does he get out of it? My undying loyalty and I call him Massa?"

Saul was taken aback by the loathing that he heard in Harry's voice.

"Not all white people hate black people and vice versa," Saul said. "Look at where I am. These people have treated me as if I was family-hell; they are family. I would fight for them as I would my birth family. But you're wrong about the race of the man that wants to meet with you. His name is Noah Jackson and he's a black man. All I'm asking is that you think about what you're doing and that you meet with him-unless you're too chicken to hear what he has to say."

"I'm not afraid to meet with anyone," Harry said taking the bait.

"Good..."

"After I meet with your friend, I want you to stay the hell away from me. I don't want you at my house and I sure as hell don't want to talk to you at work-got it?"

"I got it," Saul replied. He had done what he could; he could only hope that Harry saw reason before it was too late.

After Harry left, Saul stayed where he was for a long time thinking about the conversation with Harry. It could go either way. He went to his room, knelt by his bed and began to pray for his friend. He ended the prayer with prayers for his family, friends and Isadora asking for guidance on how to reach her and for patience. When he was done, he got lay on his bed and began to read.

*****

One month after filling out the forms, Hana, Kenji and Dai prepared to become among the first of the first generation Japanese to become American citizens. Kenji was dressed in a dark suit with a small American flag pinned to the left lapel of his suit jacket. Hana and Dai were dressed in western clothing wearing an American flag pin on the left lapels of their sweaters. In fact, all of them were sporting the American flag pin even the children. Patricia felt a relief that she didn't understand at first. Then she understood. Kenji couldn't be taken away from her ever again. Him, Hana and Dai would be afforded the same rights as those born American. She wished that there was something that they could do for Hiroshi, but she understood why he didn't want to take the risk.

As they were getting ready to leave, the telephone rang. Patricia wasn't going to answer it, but remembered that Abby had given Florrie Lane their number in case she needed it. She told Marie to go to the car and went to answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"I would like to speak with Nick Alexander- it's important a soft female voice said urgently.

"Who is this?" Patricia asked her voice terse.

"I don't have time for this, is he there or not?"

Patricia hesitated before responding, "hold on."

Nick was helping Hana into the car when Patricia called him.

"There's someone on the phone for you- a woman. She says it's important."

Nick finished helping Hana into the car and took off into the house at a run. When he got to the phone, all he heard was a dial tone.

"Shit," he muttered.

1...345678