All Comments on 'In What We Didn't Say'

by Scorpio44a

Sort by:
  • 43 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
And then you woke up!

Grear read, I loved it.

Risq_001Risq_001almost 15 years ago
Great till the wagon wheels fell off.........

<p>....at the end of the story (^_^)</p>

<p>A lot of what the story had in it I could identify with. This story fit a quote I heard from someone, I forget who, that women never lie and men never listen in relationships.</p>

<p>What it basically means is that men often listen to what is "actually" said, but don't look at what most women say from a purely emotional stances, so often we don't actually understand what they are trying to say. And this story fit exactly that mold. Its not true all the time, but often times it can be. In this story, the wife was talking, but the husband kept trying to use logic to fix his wife's emotional problem. But to be fair she really didn't vocalize her intent well either. She just made decisions and he was expected to puzzle them out. So he really couldn't hear what she was saying because she barely said it. But with the help of Sharon he did.</p>

<p>But where the wheels fell of your wagon was at the end. You created a story where they were all church going people. They were apparently active in the church. The pastor's wife set Sharon up to live with them. Then they turn around and start living a polygamy lifestyle? With the wife, who's feeling put out and upset that the husband doesn't want her anymore and is trading up for a younger model, she then puts the younger model in his path and says basically "Go for it, you have my blessing"? Huh? Doesn't fit the characters you've designed so far.</p>

<p>That's what killed it for me at the end. Sorry. I did try, but I just can't get around it. It was like the story ended as an old mans wet dream. It was so based in reality right up to that point. But thanks for posting regardless.</p>

-Risq

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
wow the ending was absurd

I agree-- great story up until the end...Church going 3 somes?!? what sort of " chruch" is that?

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 15 years ago
The menopause angle was REALLY well done

Most of the time in LW stories when women enter Menopsuase or go into "empty nest syndrome" MOST authors use it as an excuse for the wife to behave like a whore and the husband to at SOME point eventually say... well its not your fault.." and accept her or take the wife back.

<br></br>

In THIS Mostly wonderful story-- until the pathetic ending-the real differences between How the husband views the "empty nest time" (he is looking foeard to it) and how the wife sees it (she is devastated) is BRILLANTLY done.

<br></br>

while the wife feelings are Real and have to be listened to it IS clear the wife at some point is mentally unbalanced in this story.

<br></br>

1) <b>the fact that the husband after 25 years is NOT listening to his wife IS Bad but that doesnt give her the right to cut him off sexually and more importantly emotionally. </b> She does have an OBLIGATION to tell him what is going inside her.

<br></br>

2) she makes this leap that her husband is ONLY interested in her sexually. I cannot for the life of me figure out how she made THAT leap.

<br></br>

3) on the other hand it is very odd that the husband NEVER discussed with his wife what they would do once their kids were gone and out of the house. My kids are 10 and 12... my wife and I talk about what we could do when they are off to collge all the time!!

<br></br>

finally the ending seems way off. Sure its different I will grant you that. I Understand that sharon would develop strong feelings for him given the terrible time she has had with bad evil men. But a threesome with strong church going members?

<br></br>

anyway as Much as I dislike the ending I still HAVE to give this story a score of a 100.

DrallDrallalmost 15 years ago
Wow!

I loved it! Thanks.

sirsemegasirsemegaalmost 15 years ago
Good story

Actually made me cry at one point when they finally sat down and expressed their true feelings. I thought for sure Sharon was the one that seduced him in his lazy-boy!<br>

The ending was fantasy, but fun to read. Actually aside form the church going issue, I bought into Donna and Sharon clicking and getting along together. Her house is no longer empty and she has a partner to interact with while he is off at work.<br>

I really liked the fact that she actually lost her sex drive and wasn't having sex somewhere else. The menopause slut/whore thing is overplayed, yet the email conversations was a little murky and unclear and I don't think needed to be included in the story. The "Bam!" conversation didn't work for me, it was very unclear who was talking and what the whole chocolate cake metaphor was and what the meaning was. Who was telling it. I had to read it a few times to figure it out, and it didn't work for me.

LongtimefunLongtimefunalmost 15 years ago
Excellent

One of the better pieces I've read here - BRAVO!

GToastGToastalmost 15 years ago
Less is more

I liked the story, a fine entry by a good writer, right up to the end. I have to agree with others who felt the ending was out of left field, not really in step with the rest.<p>I also felt the story was a bit protracted. It could have benefitted by some judicious snippage here and there, shedding a bit of exposition and some chunks of dialogue. In fact, I thought the entire housekeeper subplot could have gone away, or been trimmed way back.<p>Minor quibbles, though; the Scorp scores again with a well-written entry, worth the time and effort to read it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
As regards the ending...

He was sandbagged by the two women, in his position, I would have wanted to be sure there wasn't a trap in the bed.

<P>

Several have mentioned the church going angle. It is a mistake to assume that someone is a devotee because they attend and seem to be a believer. I tried to be a believer when I was a boy, as I grew up and older it became more and more difficult. In my twenties I took an elective comparing and contrasting the 10 most popular religions of the world. That pretty well exposed them all as mythology. I continued to attend church because I like the ethics espoused by Christianity (not as modeled by many Christians or some Christian Churches). Keep in mind that the most raciest time of the week is 11:00 to Noon on Sunday.

<P>

Early in the story the protagonist did some off the cuff research about menopause and libido, I wonder why he didn't share that with his wife while she was giving him chapter and verse about how it was going to be.

<P>

One commenter spoke of communication about their future and what it would mean, many many people don't really communicate as long as their lives meet their expectations. Then when they hit a bump and do talk, they still aren't communicating and they may not realize it. As someone else pointed out he was speaking logic, she was speaking emotion.

<P>

I enjoyed the story, I liked that the empty nest problem was addressed. I don't think menopause played a role other than as an excuse. That in itself was an attempt to avoid communication, ??conscious or unconscious??

<P>

<I>-- srgeek --</I>

rpsuchrpsuchalmost 15 years ago
well done

First, it is a good story well done. It also provoked thoughtful and thought-provoking feedback.

<p>

Religion is not understood and practiced uniformly. In some places the religion is seen as break this rule and you die. Break that rule and you die. In other places you can replace “you die" with "go to hell." In some places it is seen as setting guidelines. The discussions he had with his minister and his wife indicated that their church had guidelines and not all situations fit a template that tells you what you must do. They discussed his situation, offered advice and help as with recommending a possible housekeeper.

<p>

Marriage is a contract. It includes many clauses beyond the vows. We violate these clauses repeatedly, inadvertently when we say or do things that are not fully thought out. We develop adaptations which are, in effect, agreed upon modifications to the contract. In that context I find it believable that their modification is consistent with the spirituality represented by their religion. Even if it were unlikely, it is well within the realm of the possible which makes it perfectly acceptable in fiction.

<p>

Communication was another issue raised in the comments. Men tend to find it more difficult to communicate, but that isn't the only reason they don't. Women often discourage it. They may not realize what they are doing, but they discourage and in many ways. "You should've known that." "That was a stupid question." There is no independent source to tell you which questions are stupid. The missing words are, "in my judgment." You ask a question and risk being punished in some way for being stupid. So you stop asking and you are uncommunicative.

<p>

If a significant number of discussions come to be seen as arguments that somebody must win it's no longer communication, it's competition. Men often don't want to compete that way because they see it as a lose lose.

<p>

That was just a sampler. There are many ways in which either party can squelch communication. Her telling him how it's going to be and he has no input could certainly do that.

<p>

Details help make a story seem real. The reference to the Eskimo practice of letting their lives end when they feel they have nothing to contribute did that for me. I read a novel about the Eskimos in my first semester of college for an anthropology course. Their culture was dictated by their environment. You didn't own a tool like and ice knife; it belonged (temporarily) to whoever needed it.

<p>

This was an enjoyable, skillful contribution.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Loved it..!

I loved it and would like to read more enjoyable stories like this in the future and get some of these so called 'good stories' off here.! Repeats more or less from another persons story and no real story to the story in the first place, just wild sex with 44DD's and 12" cocks. BS This story was different and I really enjoyed from beginning to end.!! Thanks.!

tennesseeredtennesseeredalmost 15 years ago
Tedious and cruel

A linear story told in a bullet-proof style. The narrator is a heartless man who repeatedly claims to love his wife. But he subjects her to mental cruelty in a relentless assault of logic. The fantasy housekeeper/cook/second wife is rescued from rock-bottom circumstances and instantly falls for Mr. Cool Reason and his self-aware honesty. All that is missing from this middle-aged male fantasy is the secret video taping typical of the genre. Spelling and punctuation were both good.

Zeb40Zeb40almost 15 years ago
Wow!

Wanted to say so much, but surprisingly Harry said it all. For once, I have to wholly agree with him. I too was dissatisfied with the ending. Oh well! We can't have it all. Good story, nonetheless.

shangoshangoalmost 15 years ago
Wow!

Talk about finding a pearl in a bucket of manure! You also disguised the ending pretty well.

Kudos

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 15 years ago
I liked the story and the ending

I agree with Harry and Risq on the positives, but I liked the ending. The two ladies get to be sisters and the husband gets lots of good loving. Who knows, maybe wife #2 could even get pregnant. BTW the Bible doesn't say a man can only have one wife, in fact most of the men in the Old Testament had more than one. Our bigamy laws are a result of the traditions of men, not the Bible.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
I Just Wonder How Good This Story Could Have Been

In my eyes that is. I loved the depth - the clear statements of the feelings felt - the strength of his reality and the lack of hers.<P>

I liked that no medical answer was sought as the mind had to deal with everything including the online advice and support she was getting.<P>

The Author did a fantastic job of mirroring life and explaining the marital changes brought about by many inside and outside affectants.<P>

Sure she was weak but then many are in real life when the long comfortable conditions change.<P>

For some marriages it is a suddenly empty house and too much time to think. For others the house becomes more or too full when both are retired.<P>

It is both more exciting, demanding and fulfilling for the MOM - than the Dad. The fathers energy was demanded by the need for an exchange of emotions and support he needed from their union. That she was exclusively his and yet now it was mandatory that her and his life be shared or less from his viewpoint. Children can be a great building block in the marriage or an inexplicable wedge thats lived with.<P>

Now to the negative. A writer has total control of the written word but not how they will be received. We all know a story is graded by talent and content.<P>

This story fell off the cliff - a very high one due to its high quality and depth - until it got really gooofy at the end.<P>

Sure its an author's right to get stupid and ruin a very good story of life, circumstance and consequence. Especially when this harem notion is his old one. In a silly story its kind of a so what - nothing really invested by him or me.<P>

But in a story of this quality - well c'mon - get real - until the end.<P>

Kind of a shame - the time & talent expended than - whoosh gone in a careless whimsical insanity too foreign to what preceded it.<P>

But its done and one can only hope that this wasted effort weighs on the writer so as to preclude a reoccurence.<P>

Be silly or be real - but don't try oil and water - its messy - and without purpose or value in the end.

txcoatl1970txcoatl1970almost 15 years ago
Wow! Really?

I've got to add my two cents- the plot was pretty good with a bit of a loopy conclusion. The hubby didn't like being punked out of sex but also emotional access. Donna did some very arbitrary and clueless stuff to try to force a discussion about what to do in the empty nest. Real believeable stuff. Spouses becoming emotional furniture to each other has kept John Updike and a host of authors in plots of middle-aged ennui.

Sharon's story sounded like a country song at 2AM at saloon on the wrong side of the tracks. Tragedies happen, and people sometimes get the Job train of afflictions, but she was one dog run over away from being a soap opera heroine.

Pathos became bathos for me and it ruined the mood.

Also, the king triad solution to marital restlessness just blows it for me. There's some gals who'll put up with the most absurd demands a man can inflict (e.g. Sharon) just for the barest scrap of security or attention, but only for so long.

Sure, it's a fantasy Lit story, but you can't string us along with a well-crafted plot based somewhat on reality

then bolt on an ending like that without having the whole story crash and burn in the gorge of absurdity. It's a crying shame that it ended that way, because I know and expect you to do far better.

BriteaseBriteasealmost 15 years ago
Pretty good

I really enjoyed this story, even if I agreed to some extent with others about the ending.----- HOWEVER --------- Since I usually put myself in the place of the narrator, I have to say that personally, the ending sounded pretty attractive to me. A good tale, and who cares too much about reality --- thanks a lot.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Interesting and fun to read!

Enjoyed it a lot - thank you author for your efforts!

bruce22bruce22almost 15 years ago
Amazingly well-written and thought out.

But the ending does not fit in with my (or our) upbringing.

I have to agree with everything that Harry said about this one, but I have a hard time believing that Donna (typical mature occidental wife) would accept the new househole arrangement. She might have accepted a hidden mistress to get her off the hook but having to deal with people knowing that her household is irregular is very difficult. One thing that is relevant in my opinion is that the husband never discussed the future change in their life style because he continued working sixty hours a week and so the changes may have been shocking but they were unexpected. In many of the loving wife stories what happens is that the wife fill the hole with a job and then an affair.

Great work, as always Scorpio. Thanks.

northbaybearnorthbaybearalmost 15 years ago
The flow of life

One cannot know what the flow of life will give us each day. The flow of your story was done well. Real people; real life events. Certainly an atypical story ending, but one made more believable because of Scorpio44a's skill as a writer. Thank you for another thought-producing tale of people learning about love, and the uncommon forms it can take, if we allow it, and are courageous and secure enough to live the love.

jasonnhjasonnhalmost 15 years ago
I liked it

I liked this story overall and this ending better than the alternate, which was surprising to myself.

Another commenter said the husband was cruel, I disagree. His wife arbitrarily decided to cut him off, not only from sex but also from affection. That isn't cruel and bitchy? He responded, in general, mildly and simply asked his wife to consider what she now brings to the relationship, which by her own definition of things was not much. Why would it be OK for his wife to act like this? He didn't bluster, simply proved that if she was to provide nothing to the relationship he could find someone that could. His wife set the rules but she didn't like how it turned out. This can often be the case when someone acts selfishly without concern for their partner. The wife just got told her arbitrary, selfish approach was unacceptable.

Now the wife apparently had other issues (empty nest) going on. OK, the husband could have been a bit more sensitive and perceptive but really, did his wife give him any real clues? Nope, just shut him out. No one else, not even his minister, gave him any useful direction. As soon as Sharon brought the issues out he was immediately understanding and responsive. He loved his wife and showed it.

Now maybe people feel he was too "rational" and not passionate enough but that is who this character is. A passionate man might have been furious and thrown his wife out because he was so upset. Frankly, I don't see how the wife could have handled a passionate man.

The internet "friend" was a good comment on the overall tone from the wife's side, just keep up the pressure and the simple little man will fall into line. Well the man's rights and prerogatives are equal to the woman's and the husband simply stood up for that. I always cringe at "friends" who council domination of the partner so that their own selfish goals can be met. It always surprises when it is shown if YOU can ignore my feelings and try to selfishly dominate the relationship then I can now play by the same rules. That aspect seems never to be considered by the person that kicks it off.

I was surprised that I liked the ending. It was a bit fabulous. I also don't personally like multiple partners. I don't condemn stories that work out that way, it's just not my preference. I think it's hard enough to balance a relationship with one let alone more than that. I guess what did it for me is that I liked ALL the characters and I wanted them to be happy in the end. In this ending I was sure they were. The fact that I DID care about the characters is a tribute to the storytelling. Nice work.

curious2ccurious2calmost 15 years ago
I liked it.

The idea of a wife going through menopause and ending up that way was realistically protrayed. I know about menopause and marriage changing having lived it personally.

At first the end threw me off a bit. I re-read the story one more time and finally came to an understanding I think. Donna's sex drive is off. It's a physical part that some women lose in menopause, never to gain back.

There are medicines that can help some women with their sex drive, but not all women can or will be able to get hoped for results. It's hit and miss...like a lot of medicines are.

Donna saw the love Sharon had for her husband and she knew that she couldn't provide the sex life that her husband would need. (Not want... need) so, being in love with her husband and knowing her sex drive (Or lack of) was driving them apart, to divorce, she learned to like and then love Sharon and worked to include Sharon in their lives.

It is an ending that many won't or can't like or imagine. It is an ending that fixes a few of the issues, yet in the end, the whole picture is a marriage that will probably survive this crisis, and maybe even be stronger because of it.

There are no wimps, no 'toss her to the curb' endings in this one which is one reason I liked it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Brillant writing, poor ending!

I didnt knw who to feel more sorry for donna or sharon? Both deserve better! The ending is a bit unbelivable! I would have perferd if they jst got divorsed! That way sharon gets her happy ending and donna gets to find that there's alot more in life than family(maybe even meets some one)! I really cant c two women sharing the one man not unless the wife is cheating (guilt) then the bitch deserves every thing that comming to her! If it was a man in donna's place and the wife wanted to cuckold him would there b so many high marks? I dnt think so!! The second ending is better! My heart just went out to donna at the end when she leaves sharon and her husband in the cabin, its almost like kicking a dog when its dwn! The reader loses respect for her!

KOLKOREKOLKOREalmost 15 years ago
His threats: perhaps justified but impossible

Overall the story was original, interesting and touching. Unlike many other readers I was not bothered so much by the unrealistic (yet still possible) ending. I kind of chuckled by the frank sharing of what seems to be a pure male fantasy the author allowed himself to indulge in…<P>

I was bothered though by the premise that in an uneven situation in a marriage – the bread winner, could at any point in time, act on his (or her) grievances by forcing the other spouse out of the community property or pay rent if the other spouse refuses to do what the other "asks" him/her to... (unless she provides certain services –labor or sexual).

Just as they may sound – it just could not work. Simply put, the house is not his to kick her out of…<P>

He could have claimed all his grievances through divorce proceedings, but chose not to do so. The wife was not well, but was not stupid. It’s unlikely that she would not have seeked the council of a lawyer in some women rights organization or a Social services agency. <P>

The problem for me is that those unrealistic (and impossible in reality) threats were the main thing which moved the plot… The impossible part is what came in the way of fully enjoying the story…

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
The ending is great. Better than the other versio

often when women play the game the wife did in this one she has a lover and if she really loves her husband, that lover is a woman. In this case, all three of them win.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
hate to disagree with some but if the wife chose

to be a roommate in the house, she could and should pay her share of the living expenses. Not as rent of course but for half of all the bills. What is often forgotten is that in the marriage laws of many states it is a wifely duty to have sexual relations with the spouse. Failure to do so becomes a breach of the marriage contract and is justification for divorce. Put another way you cant physically rape your wife, but you can legally force her to provide sexual relations.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Kudos from a 68-year old romantic

From one with some experience in twice-married life I recognized many elements of the interaction, or lack of communication between spouses. The male character took very rational reactions to the wife's declarations. Having the other woman present to recognized and expose the problems between the two was clever. All characters were believable and even the two-woman fantasy at the end did not diminish the plot.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Great Love Story

until the ending.

Ducky7Ducky7over 14 years ago
What can I say, I think he was

justified in his reaction, cautious in his feelings and not as quick as he should have been in the end. I think something started between his wife and Sharon he still is not either looking at or can't see for some reason. Some other truths need to be spoken. This ending came way to fast as compared to the speed of the rest of the story. How does a wife that has shutdown from menopause all of a sudden have a flowing sex drive. Was menopauses the real problem or an excuse?

BigJohn601BigJohn601about 13 years ago
This is a pain every married man over the age of 50 knows all too well......

I sure wished I'd had a Sharron to help me.......

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 13 years ago
You and your polyandry -

ROFL -

I am well divorced and unhappy because my ex never came back from walking away from me and I would not tolerate it any better than he did.

I did have the small added com0lication of learning my ex had found the full replacement for me so there was no road back even with a Sharon - but it would have been nice if there had been one to try - at least I would have known I had done and said all that could be before the end.

Decisions to not bother communicating after delivering the "we're done" speech at our 23rd anniversary were entirely hers I went through the roommate conversation, the we were looking forward to be us again conversation, and the if you do not want to do this right get your own room conversation. Nothing had any effect and the kids even suffered (our oldest was 20 and the youngest 17) from the walkout and have yet to deal with it.

Nice writing bud -

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Interesting outcome

I am in the process of going through it now. "We" haven't had the talk as yet but it will happen before the end of the year. I am not looking forward to it but I don't need a roommate.

Concritic123Concritic123almost 10 years ago
Great story until....

You threw in the threesome. Took points away for that.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
great love story

This is the one of best story i ever read,maybe the best ever... Two thumbs up..

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
THE CAT BIRD SEAT GET FULL FAST

and crowded during inopportune moments, TK U MLJ LV NV

bestisyettocomebestisyettocomeabout 7 years ago
Great Story!

I liked this ending better, despite my belief that it is extremely unlikely that things would work out that way. Kind of a fairy tale ending, but those and nice sometimes in the overall world of Literotica Loving Wives stories.

Thanks for writing it.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 6 years ago
Close...

Lost a "5" with the threesome. So close.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
I liked the ending 5 stars

I don't normally understand the poly lifestyle but it make sense in this case. Husband loved his wife, wife loved the husband but had no desire for sex, their partner loved both of them and had lost everything. She lost her parents, husband and children when her ex killed them all. She was instrumental in reminding husband and wife about what they loved in each other. She needed love too. At this point in the story, this relationship would work. The wife was coming out of her depression and could change her mind about sex as things went on. Over time, the younger woman could find a good man and move out to be with him.

My biggest problem with the story was the sudden change in the wife. Why did she not talk to a medical expert about her problem? Sex does not end with becoming old. The highest rate of STD's is among old swingers who don't worry about protection. Husband was wrong for airing their problems with gossips and no way you can charge your spouse rent for not having sex. On the other hand, he was more patient than I would have been if my wife says I quit doing anything.

Good thought provoking story. Thanks for your work!

reasonable man

notredame43notredame43over 5 years ago
to prev anon NO he wasnt wrong

She had been a loving partner and wifeup until her no sex edict, with that she became a roommate and damn well better pony up to pay her way. if she didn't like it out she goes. I get menopause fucks with women but until he laid it out she wasn't going to do a damn thing to fix the issue. IF that was how it stayed out she goes.

YvesmiYvesmiabout 4 years ago
Nice plot

I like it. It is an unusual plot for this place. Well done and thank you.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman8 months ago

like what Sharon said in Donna's room about why each of you got married. Sharon's prior life is unbelievable, except, in 2023 it seems very possible. Donna got some very bad on-line advice but finally woke up.

oldtwitoldtwit5 months ago

It's a feel good story, nicely done good conversation and thoughts about the way things can and can't be looked at.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous