It Happened in Saint Thomas

Story Info
Hannah's special find at her friend's destination wedding.
8.7k words
4.61
11.2k
11
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
trigudis
trigudis
728 Followers

It Happened in Saint Thomas

by

Trigudis

The following story takes place a few years before Covid hit and also before Washington D.C.'s NFL football team dropped the Redskins name.

Saint Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Hannah Gerber had thought about vacationing there but never got around to it until Kaleigh Conroy, her good friend since high school, invited her to her wedding. It was one of those destination weddings, one that would take her from her home in Maryland to what she had heard was some sort of tropical paradise. Hannah had never been south of Miami Beach.

Hannah and Kaleigh were two members of the "troop," the name this group of millennial girls from the Washington D.C suburbs called themselves in high school. They hung together on weekends, shopping at the mall, doing sleepovers, talking for hours on Facebook and their cell phones and sharing information on their love life. After college, as they drifted into their twenties, they'd speculate on who would be the first among them to marry. Kaleigh had always thought that Hannah would tie the knot before she for at least two reasons. One, she was very pretty. She stood around five-foot-eight, with thick, dark brown, wavy hair, its length varying with her mood. Her brown eyes were "too beautiful for makeup," a girlfriend once told her. No skin is perfect, but Hannah's came close, blemish-free, with coloring somewhere between pasty white and olive. She had always struggled with her weight. That is, until recently when she finally made peace with her body type--voluptuous, in the mold of the late Anna Nicole Smith (before Anna Nicole slimmed down). She'd never look like skinny Kaleigh, but then, so what? Lots of men went wild for women with Rubenesque proportions. In fact, enough did to where Hannah never lacked for dates, which was another reason that Kaleigh had said, "You'll find Mr. Right before me."

While packing her luggage for the trip, Hannah smiled to herself thinking back on those discussions. Yes, she used to date a lot but so far, she had yet to find her so-called Mr. Right. She was hardly desperate, not at age twenty-five, and not when she was busy with a lucrative career. Her parents were grooming her to take over the Paramount Craft Festival, the family business that her parents started when they were Hannah's age and one that had made the family multi-millionaires. Besides, she wasn't sure if she even wanted to make a lifetime commitment to anyone. Marriage, kids, a four-bedroom, three-bath split-level in the burbs--it didn't sound like her thing at this time in her life. She wasn't averse to relationships; she'd had her share in high school and beyond. Right now, she considered herself single. Single and horny. It had been awhile.

She looked forward to this trip. It was late October and already she missed the warm beaches of Ocean City. It was in the eighties in Saint Thomas. It was also hurricane season. So far, the forecast looked good for her four-day reservation. Many of the troop girls would be there, girls she had kept in touch with but hadn't seen for a while, save for their pics on Facebook. She also looked forward to meeting Peter Bedingfield, Kaleigh's fiancé. She knew little about him other than he managed a hedge fund and, like Kaleigh, he was athletic. She knew Jill, Kaleigh's mom, but she had never met Craig, her dad. The two had been divorced for years. Jill had remarried, while Craig had remained single. According to Kaleigh, Craig and Jill, while not exactly friends, had remained civil toward one another. Both would be at the wedding, including Jill's number two.

*****

It was afternoon when Hannah arrived at Cyril E. King Airport three and a half hours after leaving Baltimore-Washington International. Then she hopped a cab over to a noted Sugar Bay resort. From the looks of the lobby alone, she could see that Kaleigh and her fiancé had picked a nice place. It was a vast space, with marble floors, a high ceiling and white columns that stretched to a balcony that ran the length of the first floor of rooms. Ceiling fans whirred away.

Just moments after stepping into the lobby, she spotted Monica Pearlman, another troop member, the "free-spirit among us," as Kaleigh once described her. Fair complected with shoulder-length, strawberry blond hair, Monica did things like cycle across the country to Mexico and then on to Central America. She worked a year or two at a job, saved money, then took off. Guys loved her cute, Mid-Western, farmer's daughter looks, but none of them could ever tie her down into something long-term.

The women hugged, then traded updates on their lives, before they parted to settle into their rooms. Hannah wasn't disappointed when she entered. Besides a thick, champagne color carpet that covered the floor, she got a queen-sized bed and comfortable furniture that included a chair and loveseat, both held together with frames made of bamboo. Best of all was the bay-view she got through her sliding glass doors that opened to a small balcony. "Now this I wouldn't mind waking up to every day," she said out loud, gazing at the clean, white beach, deep blue water and other greenish islands of the U.S. Virgin Island group beyond.

She began to unpack when she heard a knock on her door. It was none other than the soon-to-be married trooper herself, Kaleigh Conroy. "Just checking on my guests," she said. "How was your flight?"

"Comfortable, with no mishaps, thank God," Hannah said. She noted Kaleigh's casual attire, white jeans, a light pull-over and sandals, and then tried to picture her in a wedding gown. No one would mistake the women for twins. Kaleigh stood a couple inches below Hannah. She was sinewy, even muscular in the way that female runners such as Kaleigh tended to be. She had low bodyfat--there were no voluptuous, Hannah-like curves on this girl. Her dirty-blond hair hung below her shoulders as she stood in the doorway, talking to her friend about the wedding, scheduled for tomorrow.

"Both my parents are here," Kaleigh said, rolling her eyes and turning her full mouth into a mock grimace, though Hannah thought there was more than a grain of worry in her expression.

"Well, they get along, don't they?" she asked. "At least that's what you told me."

"Yeah, more or less, and I'm sure things will go okay," Kaleigh said. "But mom's bringing her husband and dad's coming alone. It could be like, awkward for both of them, especially my dad. I kind of feel bad for him that he's not with anyone."

Hannah put a reassuring hand on her friend's shoulder. "I get it. But I'm looking forward to meeting your dad. Your mom I've known for years."

"Maybe you can be his date," Kaleigh said, grinning wide enough for her dimples to show. "I mean, neither one of you is seeing someone at the moment."

Hannah went along with the joke. "Sure, send him around. Is he interested in crafts?"

"No, but knowing the football fan that he is, and the fan that I know you are, you two should hit it off right away."

They had a good laugh. Then Kaleigh asked if Hannah was going to be at tonight's planned happy hour in the lounge. "Absolutely," she said. "I'm looking forward to reconnecting with some of the troopers I haven't seen in a while. And I could also go for a Margarita."

*****

A couple hours, a shower and a brief nap later, Hannah stood in front of a full-length mirror in her room for some last-minute primping. She wore a mauve dress hemmed just above her thick knees and low heels. The heels enhanced the beautiful taper in her full, shapely calves. She had been unusually fussy about her hair because she knew that some of Peter Bedingfield's single friends would be there. She wasn't actively looking for a hookup, though she wouldn't turn one down for the "right" guy, and hoped that said guy would like the way she styled her full, wavy locks. Parted a tad left of center, her hair fell to the tops of her boobs, curling at the ends.

Leaving her room, she descended a flight of stairs, stepped into the lobby, then entered the hallway which led to the lounge, a posh, dimly lit space with wood ceiling rafters and a half circular bar, trimmed in marble. Overhead racks held rows of empty glasses and a bar-length mirror hung on the rear wall. A dozen chairs, upholstered in fine leather, lined the bar. However, only a few people were seated. Most were standing, engaged in conversation, petting their drinks. Hannah stepped up to the bar to get her Margarita. While waiting, she chatted with Wendy Greene, another troop member. The two had kept in touch on Facebook, so neither held any surprises for the other.

Moments later, she spotted Kaleigh's mom, and came over to say hello. Jill Compton, nee' Conroy, nee' Robinson, was in her late forties, about the same age as Craig Conroy, her ex. Jill said it was nice to see her, asked about Paramount Crafts and then introduced her to Bradley, her hubby number two. "Guess you never met Brad," Jill said, "but then I don't think you've ever met my ex either."

"No, never have," Hannah said.

Jill looked around. "Well, I just saw him about a minute ago."

Just then, Kaleigh came up to her, dressed in what she wore hours earlier. "Hannah, this is Peter, my soon to be husband. Peter, this is Hannah, another trooper for life."

"Kaleigh told me all about the troop," Peter said, flashing an easy smile. "Our marriage won't break up you band of troopers. I promise." He raised his right arm from his six-foot-two-inch frame, the one holding a bottle of imported beer.

"As Kaleigh said, we're troopers for life," Hannah said.

Peter excused himself to talk to one of his friends, leaving Hannah and Kaleigh alone to resume their small talk. Curious, Hannah looked to see who Peter was talking to. "That's Doug, one of Peter's single friends," Kaleigh said.

Hannah nodded, checking out this Doug, attired in colorful shorts, flip-flops and a Hawaiian shirt. His blondish hair looked like he hadn't combed it in a week.

Kaleigh noticed her friend's meh kind of shrug. "Not your type?"

"Not really," Hannah replied. "I like my Margarita but Margaritaville types don't appeal to me." She continued to look around. "But that tall, distinguished looking hottie in the blue blazer over a light blue button-down might be my type." She took a sip of her drink, watching said hottie engaged in conversation with another guy, presumably another one of Peter's friends.

Kaleigh laughed. "Ah, that's my dad, girlie. I was only kidding about him being your date."

Hannah let out a squeal of a laugh. "That's your dad?! Ohmygod, he looks like Michael Buble'!"

"He does, doesn't he? My dad's got a nice voice, too. I'll introduce you if you'd like."

Suddenly, Hannah felt shy. She drew a pursed-lipped grin, then took another sip. "He's your mom's age? He looks younger."

"Yes, and too good-looking for his own good, as my mom used to say. Another friend of mine thought he was hot also." Kaleigh took Hannah's hand. "Come on, I'll introduce you. It's about time you met him anyway."

"Well, okay," Hannah said after a moment's hesitation.

After weaving their way around the crowd of guests, Kaleigh said, "Dad, sorry to interrupt, but I'd like you to meet another good friend of mine. This is Hannah Gerber."

Craig Conroy grinned in that tentative, cautious way that people do when first introduced, then stuck out his hand. "Craig Conroy. Nice meeting you, Hannah. Are you a member of the troop?"

"I am," she said, taking note of his blue eyes. Blue eyes and brown hair. She always liked that combo in men.

"Hannah's family owns the Paramount Craft Festival," Kaleigh revealed.

Craig nodded. "I've seen those crowds of people filing into the Kelly Armory when the festival's in town. Popular event." He knocked back a swig.

Very popular, Hannah thought, though she wasn't about to brag how successful the business had become. Speaking of success, from Kaleigh, she knew that Craig ran a successful business of his own, Conroy Commercial Realty. "So how's business on your end?" is all she could think to say at the moment, focused as she was on his gorgeous blue eyes; they matched his blazer.

"Doing well," he said. "Commercial real estate can be a pain in the butt but also lucrative if you pick the right properties. Are you involved with Paramount?"

"I am. My parents are looking to dump all the work on me so they can retire early and lay on beaches like this one all day." She watched him chuckle. "No, but it's fun. I'm looking forward to implementing my own ideas when it comes time to take the helm."

He nodded, keeping his eyes on her as if she was the only person around them. Kaleigh noticed and said, "Well, I'm going to let you two chat away while I make the rounds." She flashed Hannah a knowing wink and moved on, followed by Peter's friend.

Then Hannah asked: "So, what do you think of Peter, this guy that Kaleigh's marrying?"

"So far, so good. He's got a good, stable job. Seems responsible. Look, if Kaleigh's happy, I'm happy, and that goes for her mom as well." Pause. "So how about you, Hannah? I see that you're alone like me. No significant other with whom you plan to tie the knot with anytime soon?"

"Not even close," she said, stirring her drink with a swizzle stick. "I'm single and enjoying that status for now. That said, I am open to meeting new people." She drew him a flirty grin. "And you?"

"Me? Oh, I don't know about marriage. As you might know, Jill married again but I've remained single for years."

"Kaleigh did tell me that. No long-term relationships since your divorce? If I'm getting too personal, let me know."

"Not at all. Long-term...let's see. Would you consider two weeks long-term?" He grinned, watching her laugh, hand over her stomach. He took another swig. "Seriously, I've had my share of romance. One lasted three years before it ran its course. Now, do you mind if I get personal?"

"Please do."

"I think you're a very attractive young lady."

She could feel herself blush as she gave the swizzle stick another few turns around her glass. "Thanks. And I think you look like Michael Buble'. Which is a good thing because I'm a fan. Have you heard of him?"

"Of course. I think Haven't Met You Yet is one of the best songs to come along in years."

"Oh man, such a great song, so romantic." She began to sing:

"I'm not surprised, not everything lasts

I've broken my heart so many times I stopped keeping track..."

She paused. "I wish I could remember the rest because--"

"Talk myself in, I talk myself out

I get all worked up then I let myself down

I tried so very hard not to lose it

I came up with a million excuses

I thought, I thought of every possibility..."

Her jaw dropped in awe, impressed with his prodigious memory and the velvet-smooth quality of his voice. "Ohmygod, Craig, that was wonderful. Kaleigh told me you could sing."

"Thanks. I'm no Michael Buble' but at least I can carry a tune."

"I'll say. I bet you do karaoke."

He grabbed the lapel of his blazer and laughed. "Actually, what you just heard was my first public recital, Hannah. I confine my singing to the shower."

She pictured him doing that, crooning in the buff, undressing him with her eyes. He looked great in clothes, didn't have that middle-age paunch like her dad did and so many men of a certain age did. He'd look great without clothes, too, she thought. "Kaleigh once told me that she gets her interest in exercise from you."

He nodded. "To an extent, I suppose. I had her on the tennis court when she was in kindergarten. Later, we jogged and rode bikes together."

When he asked about her exercise regimen, she mentioned her power walking, spin and aerobics classes. "I try not to miss," she said, "but work sometimes keeps me too busy."

He looked around and noticed that people were starting to file into the dining room. "Looks like dinner is served, or soon will be. If you sit next to me, we can continue this conversation. But don't let me keep you if you'd rather sit with your girlfriends."

"Craig, I'd like very much to sit next to you." She reached out and squeezed his arm, while gazing into his eyes. He gazed back, and for a few pregnant moments, she thought he might kiss her. She sensed that he wanted to. And she sure as hell wanted him to.

But then he cleared his throat and took a step back. "Okay, well, great. I'll join you after I hit the men's room."

Kaleigh came up to her as she was walking out toward the dining room. "Looks like you and my dad have quite a rapport going. People are starting to talk."

Hannah took the talking part in the tongue and cheek, mirthful way that Kaleigh said it. Yet she also knew there was more than a grain of seriousness behind it. "That's what you get for introducing me to a good-looking guy who's got a voice to match, who just happens to be your dad. Seriously, are you embarrassed?"

"Actually, it's kind of funny. My mom thinks it's weird. She said something like, 'why can't he hit on someone his own age?' Then I told her that dad didn't hit on anybody. Blame me, I said, because I'm the one who introduced them. She wasn't appeased. Bradley, on the other hand, seems amused. Peter also."

When Craig returned, he and Hannah took a seat at one of the large, four round tables set up for the wedding party. The room had a huge picture window on one side that looked out on the bay. Thick, square-shaped flagstone columns supported the slanted ceiling, made of wood slats that ran parallel and perpendicular to each other. Track lighting and fans hung from the ceiling. There were eight comfortable wicker chairs to a table, round and covered with a blue tablecloth. Hannah had dined in fancier dining spaces but none with this magnificent view.

Based on what Kaleigh had said, Hannah was relieved that Jill and Bradley were seated at another table, the same table where Peter's parents were seated. Besides Hannah and Craig, there were three of the troopers, Carla, Ashley and Lynn and their boyfriends. Hannah knew the girls but only knew Matt, Vince and David by name. Like Hannah, the girls had just learned that Craig was Kaleigh's dad, and in response to their amused looks, she said, "Craig's not my boyfriend, just my escort for the evening."

"Yeah, she's a little young for me," Craig chimed in. "We wouldn't want to cause a scandal or anything."

Everyone laughed, much to Hannah's relief. The last thing she wanted was for them to suspect that she was developing a crush on this guy. Then again, if things developed the way she hoped they might, they'd find out soon enough anyway. The wedding was tomorrow and Hannah had planned to stay in Saint Thomas for a couple days after that. She had no idea what Craig's post-wedding plans were. She was hoping they could spend some quality time together. But she was getting ahead of herself. Better stay in the here and now, she thought.

Black male waiters in white jackets were beginning to serve. Conversations were going back and forth. Recalling what Kaleigh had said about her dad being a football fan, Hannah mentioned to Craig that she was as well and rooted for the Redskins. He was impressed that she watched football, then reveled that he was a Ravens fan. Hannah said the Ravens were her second favorite team. "Of course, if they ever faced each other in the Super Bowl, there's only one way I could go," she said.

Hannah found that they had more to talk about than just football. They exchanged ideas on politics, business, relationships and talked about their past experiences in college. Their so-called generation gap wasn't such a big gap after all when it came to those topics. It's technological changes that made the difference in terms of what they had been used to growing up. "We didn't have personal computers when I was in college," Craig said. "Nobody registered for classes online because there was no online. We were crowded into the basketball fieldhouse, going from station to station. It could be an all-day ordeal."

trigudis
trigudis
728 Followers