All Comments on 'It Happened in Saint Thomas'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
why

Why was it necessary story-wise to describe the colour of the male waiters?

nestorb30nestorb30over 2 years ago

Good story. Well written, a bit overly descriptive. No need to describe everything unless it is relevant to the plot

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66over 2 years ago

A wonderfully told story. But the ending left me wanting more! Please write a sequel.

BillyTheGrayBillyTheGrayover 2 years ago

Beautifully written. A story that touches the heart. A sensual romance that crosses the generational age stigma.

jlg07jlg07over 2 years ago

I wouldn't mind a part 2! 5*

trigudistrigudisover 2 years agoAuthor

About description. There's a few schools of thought on that. There's something to be said about minimalist writing and also for writing detail that some might find overblown. I often feel I don't describe enough. Anonymous might have been offended by my line about black waiters. I've been to Saint Thomas and that's what I saw at the resort where I stayed. I think it lends atmosphere, gives the reader a more complete picture of the setting. I don't think it's got to be relevant to the plot at all. Some like it, others don't. To each his/her own. And thanks for reading.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wish it was more sexually descriptive. Other than that I loved the story. Oh yeah, I do agree with another commenter why did we need to know if the waiters were black.

burningloveburningloveover 2 years ago

Too short! We lived in Gaithersburg, MD from 1973-1995 and they will always be "the Skins".

**** stars! I enjoy your writing and stories!

Burninglove

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very good story and very well written. I like the descriptive details you include in your pieces as they add dimensions to the characters and tell the readers a bit more about who they really are. I saw nothing wrong with describing the waiters as black as that simply reflected the reality of that time and place. I do think there could be a sequel to bring a bit more closure to the story. You do good work. Keep it up as you are one of my favorite writers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very enjoyable read: romantic, low level eroticism, and just happy. Contrast that with some of the sad tales on Lit... I didn’t object to the black waiters in white jackets - authors are supposed to describe the scene, and colour is part of good writing. Check out how you write ‘chaise-longue’; there’s no such thing as a chaise lounge. Thanks.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 2 years ago

Enjoyable story. I liked the description to help establish the setting; it seemed about right to me. Finally, you could do a follow-up story or continuation if you wish but this leaves the couple happy and with hope for their future so I don’t see it as being an issue if you leave their future to readers’ interpretations. Great job!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

So, so very much cringe.

icemn67icemn67over 2 years ago

Great story. But it has the making of something longer. Please continue, with this one. It seams worth it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Where O Where is the rest of the story?????

Not nice to hipe up your readers, draw them in, and drop them into the void of unknown and unfinished endings!

You obviously thought your writing stopped at the appropriate point. It’s a shame that your readers don’t feel the same way! Only our very vivid imaginations allows us to forge beyond your inconclusive and ill timed permanent pause!

Chapter 2??????????

DessertmanDessertman12 months ago

A lovely romance, never mind the age difference!

2 1/2 years ago I met someone on a dating site and much to my surprise, within a month we found ourselves having very strong feelings for each other, despite her being 23 years younger than me.

Due to Covid and other complications such as her being Chinese, living in the far SW of China and her employment

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...