All Comments on 'John's Lament'

by JimBob44

Sort by:
  • 80 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Boring as fuck

Couldn't even get through the endless cast of characters.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
not bad

A interesting take on the situation. A good way to show what one can lose when dealing with drugs.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

Not one of your best, but a nice, poignant character study.

chytownchytownalmost 6 years ago
Great Story Telling****

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Thanks for sharing...

I,v read most of your stories, I find them to be educational showing an insight into a world that i am unfamiliar with... if anything, it would be refreshing to read something with a happy ending form you...even a lowest can catch a break.

Thanks again.

CreeperclawCreeperclawalmost 6 years ago
I know it's his own fault

But I can't help but feel sorry for this character. Good job for that.

gmann57gmann57almost 6 years ago

That could almost be my life, except not as extreme. You hit the nail on the head though JimBob. I didnt have kids and my wife died 4 years ago. So Im no stranger to lonely and the guilt I feel from not making my wife of 28 years go to the doctor earlier that may have saved her life from the cancer, leaves me with low self esteem. Then 7 months ago a 35 foot fall off a roof that should have killed me , didnt just gave me a traumatic brain injury with all the perks that goes with it. Man I was suppose to die before my wife. Great story Jimbob and thanks for reading my little bitch session

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
I LOVE A HAPPY ENDING!

Just sayin........

chris2300chris2300almost 6 years ago
Real life

Thank you for a slice of reality. Well done!

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 6 years ago
You Know

Real life or fiction it's very hard to feel bad for a low-life cheating druggie whose wife came to her senses and left and married a decent man. After twenty years since she divorced him he's only been sober for the last two. He doesn't even deserve his loving mother.

Good tale of consequences.

Five Stars

MightyHornyMightyHornyalmost 6 years ago
Well... that was depressing.

It would be weird to feel the least bit sorry for John, given how little he cared, from the very beginning, about Debbi. No idea what she really thought about him, but you just knew their marriage was going to turn out to be a bad idea by the way he callously ignored her after their first fucking. Some people weren't meant to stick together, and those two definitely weren't expected to have a great love story.

Still, pretty amazing how much of a loser John turned out to be - addiction will do that to some people. One thing I really do not understand is how Debbi managed to get Tony to adopt her kids without her ex-husband's knowledge - don't you need the other biological parent's consent to pull it off? Don't know - maybe John signed papers rescinding his parental rights while he was shit-faced out of his mind... Then again, if he seriously wanted to be part of his kids' life, he would have been. It is what it is.

Well written, and overall very righteous, but too sad and not at all erotic enough to get full score. This story does, however, bring up the concept of "Loving Spouse" - everybody knows that husbands can be just as moronic with their marriage as wives can be. So, once again, it wouldn't be a bad idea to re-title this category... doubt it would ever happen, but gotta mention that it's probably time for an update.

Thanks for the mild depression, Jimbo - really needed to feel sorta bad about a fictional character, on this hot summer morning... thanks!

BigCuntryBigCuntryalmost 6 years ago
You right

That's definitely not a feel good warm and fuzzy story. John is an idiot. I was headed that way til I got Saved, then enlisted. I drink a beer 3 or 4 times a year now. There but for the grace of God...

etchiboyetchiboyalmost 6 years ago
Sad. Depressing. Demoralizing.

But superb. 5- stars.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsalmost 6 years ago
Known a couple of guys like that

I’m lucky: I never liked alcohol, so I don’t drink, and, other than a few joints at college parties, plus one side chick who would only fuck if you smoked with her — and it was her smoke! — I stayed away from drugs. But I’ve seen John, just under different names, in different places, and know how lucky I’ve been.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Last Sentence

The last sentence makes the story a five.

wonder203wonder203almost 6 years ago
Well done

A very human side of life that most don't think of. He made a ton of bad childish decisions and paid a big price.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Great story

Too many stories are so unrealistic they reek of bullshit; but this was a refreshing change. A story of bad decisions and a lifetime of regret.

Sad that Patty doesn't get to see her grandchildren but that is life.

ArsVampyreArsVampyrealmost 6 years ago
Not a bad story, but not what I want to read

My rating isn't fair, and this isn't fair criticism, I'll state that up-front.

I didn't like the story. There's nothing wrong with it, but I didn't like the subject. Sometimes, these stories need to be told. Sometimes, it doesn't matter that the subject is uncomfortable. I genuinely and generally like your work.

But I didn't like this one. I read it out of respect, but I didn't want to, and I can't in good conscious say I enjoyed it. I didn't. I don't have any suggestions on how you could have made me enjoy it. I find it hard to empathize with drug addicts who throw their life away, whatever the excuse, and John has no excuse.

That by no means you shouldn't tell this story or stories like it, or that you did anything wrong. I just can't enjoy it.

swingerjoeswingerjoealmost 6 years ago
Dark, but maybe some light at the end of the tunnel?

This is a story about a middle aged man who realizes he’s thrown his life away. This realization, and owning up to the decisions he made in his life, could be the catalyst he needs to turn his life around. It isn’t too late.

Of course, because the story is left open-ended, it’s up to the reader to craft his own ending. I prefer the happy ending. The alternative is an overdose or a bloody, brain-splattered, wall. Call me an optimist.

Good writing, by the way.

Crusader235Crusader235almost 6 years ago
Liked it

Liked it. We've all known a good time Johnny that just never grew up. I was heading in that direction, thank God a woman found me and made me see the light. 40+ years later we're still married, retired, and enjoying grandkids and life. I sure hope Johnny had success for the rest of his life. Five Stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Can't give this a good rating

It has the feeling of your usual stories. But, as advertised, it was a dark, sad tale. And that's simply not what I'm looking to read on a porn site. It's just depressing. You see people like this all over the place in our Country today. Drugs are an epidemic and we keep passing laws that seemingly help drug addicts to continue being addicts. This simply wasn't entertaining.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Not a dark tale, only

just a sad, sad tale. So sad it hurts. And that's why it's a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Don't Get The Dislikes

I hope you keep John. I'd love to watch him start over at 40. Thank you for leaving him with hope.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 6 years ago
Frankly everyone would be better off if John was dead

I agree that I don't understand why this is in a loving wise category. It's well-written and it's an interesting character study. But quite frankly even after all this time being sober.... He still a shallow repulsive stupid person with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

after all this time being sober and going to the meetings for him to still blame the drugs as opposed to his own decisions and mindset and shallowness..... Is disturbing but also somewhat fascinating. He's only one crisis away from falling off the wagon and becoming another useless drug addict or Junkie. He still doesn't get it at all.

frankly he's using up food and water and air that somebody else could use to doing something more productive

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
A loving Wife

John played a key role in making her a loving wife, but to a new and loving husband.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Mixed feelings.

This was a good story. It was well written and very plausible. It was not however, an enjoyable one. There really didn't seem much point to it. Dumb shit ruins lives, sure, and dumb shit with drugs and alcohol ruins them worse. This point seemed self evident from page one. I guess that I expected something of a more pointed ending and the lack of any definitive conclusion was what I missed here. It read just a little too much like a day in the life off story. Just not for me.

Thanks for the read through.

boatbummboatbummalmost 6 years ago
Put It In Your Sister's Pocket

Ha! Thanks for a touch of humor in an otherwise dark tale.

Sadly, this is all too real a scenario for far too many families. Thanks for a well-told tale of consequences....

TLB1981TLB1981almost 6 years ago

All Vickers, Vickers and Dumas make another appears in a story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Mixed bag

I really can't feel sorry for the useless, pathetic, worthless son of a bitch he was. The man he's trying to be gets a little sympathy, but very damn little. A life wasted,,, all too real in this world today. Hardly a family existing today that hasn't had this happen to it. Thank GOD, his wife had the balls to get out of it before it destroyed her and the children. 5*, EXCELLENT rating.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
All too real

5* - thanks for the story.

dinkymacdinkymacalmost 6 years ago
Thanks

for a great story!!

SpottedDog2018SpottedDog2018almost 6 years ago
A freezeframe of dudes I knew in high school

So reminiscent of about half the guys I knew in high school. Hard partying, boozing, refusal to ever change, I'm so glad I left for the Air

Force and learned there was more to life than "hanging out"

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Well crafted presentation of a loser trying to regain some dignity and self respect.

If he's only forty years old he has an entire other lifetime to start over and do better. Probably won't, but sometimes they do. Let's hope he does. Maybe you would consider writing that story. Lots of possibilities. Maybe some how he intervenes in the life of one of his grand children, using his hard learned lessons to help him or her turn their life around. I think his ex wife would consider that paid in full.

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 6 years ago
I have known ...

It has been to my great benefit to have known a bunch of these guys. Benefit, because without having been exposed to them early on, I coulda been one myself.

A main difference mighta been ‘sleeping under the pier’ instead of ‘under an I-10 bridge.’ Gators are pretty prevalent in the bogs under most of the bridges over Eye10.

5*. Thanks for the memories of what I (mostly) figured out to avoid.

26thNC26thNCalmost 6 years ago
Good as always

Sad, dark story of choices and consequence. Not my favorite JB44 story, but his usual great effort. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Depressing tale

This is the kind of story one writes when it's feeling down and suffering from depression. No good. Not even a glimmer of hope for better days. The daughters could have recognize him at the end of the wedding but no.A Sad story which is impossible to like. My rating reflects this feeling. 2 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
In re: Depressing

When an author tells you before you start that it is a dark story, and you find it depressing, DON’T give him a fucking TWO STARS! He hit just where he was aiming and you bust his chops. This was not my cup of tea (I don’t care for addicts) but it was gritty and evocative. 5 stars. Next one, make me laugh, JB. Thanks for writing. JPR

davwoodavwooalmost 6 years ago
A stark reminder

A dark tale in deed. It acts as a stark reminder of what drink and drugs can do to drag you down. But as JB44 reminds us, it isn’t the drink and the drugs, it’s the choices we make. There are lots of losers in this world who never had a chance because of intellect, lack of ambition or self belief. Our city streets and our jails are full of them. Now we have ideological fanatics to deal with!

crazycujocrazycujoalmost 6 years ago
A rough one

You nailed this one! 10*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Perfect

Excellent story. Sadly it is almost an autobiography of my oldest brother. He destroyed his life with alcohol.

TailakaTailakaalmost 6 years ago
Well written story

A good, well written story even if I'm about as thoroughly depressed as I ever have been after reading a story on here!

HaydenDLinderHaydenDLinderalmost 6 years ago
Ahem. JB?

42 God damned comments in 2 days!?

I can't get 2 comments in two weeks. you dick!

Oh and the story was 5 stars. Very well written. Painful but beautiful.

I hate you.

Please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
I too....

have known some folks like this. Unfortunately for a few of them, they didn't survive long enough to look back with regret.

ltpw

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 6 years ago
More about John?

Gritty cautionary tale. Powerful. I know in the real world that people are left bitter and broken. Any hope for John? Any redemption for him in your world?

Oh, and is there a back story for Bear? If there is, I must have missed it somehow.

Thanks again for a compelling story.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionalmost 6 years ago
Painful progress, powerful portrayal

There is no real hope for John, his only option is to keep going on. Excellent writing 5*.

DogFuzzDogFuzzalmost 6 years ago
Mixed Review

With your opening paragraphs and numerous characters it was difficult to understand who everyone was and where the story was going. Later paragraphs reduced the haze thankfully. However I liked the moral of the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Throwing your life away

That character was human garbage.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Sucked

Eat my used condom

cabbage01132cabbage01132almost 6 years ago
5*

every council estate in the uk is now riddled with scum like john and worse, perhaps john will do everyone a favour and od one day.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

This story is just like John. No redeeming quality whatsoever.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Could be a true story

I don't like the first comments because this story is very well written. I know of several true sad stories that parallel this story. The exception is the guys didn't know the next husbands. However, even some of the sons have followed their real fathers' footsteps and even some daughters selling themselves to buy drugs. Extremely sad! Awful! An absolute waste of what could have been a happy and productive lives. This does not make enjoyable reading due to the sad and tragic subject matter, but it exceptional well written.

georgelittle2000georgelittle2000over 5 years ago
Sad and brilliant

You established in the first paragraph that this was a dark tale. Well, it isn't. Your story is full of pity and tenderness. In the end also an epiphany of what it was and what could not be. Jeeeez... Some mild flirting with one of the guests also?

Your character is ripe for a second chance... And your story is ripe for a sequel.

Thanks!!

Birdstheword1Birdstheword1over 5 years ago
Well...

That was depressing.

I say it's a success if that was the goal.

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
A MAN PERSONIFIES TOO LITTLE TOO LATE

finally realizing his demons and accepting his fault, TK U MLJ LV NV

steeltiger01steeltiger01over 4 years ago

I cant call it 'God's, because that's a soul-searching story if there ever was. But damn, its sure powerful and sticks with you.

robroy93robroy93about 4 years ago
Man

That was a good story, but what a downer.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 4 years ago
Very good, but very sad.

I know that world better than I like to think, not first hand, but by association. My heart goes out to the guy. That was very well written.

MightyheartMightyheartalmost 3 years ago

So sad.

Drugs - Horrible

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Second time reading. John's a character that might go on to sponsor someone else in a couple of years. He might send a letter apologizing to people. He might make a difference in someone's life.

amygdalaamygdalaover 2 years ago

Really sad…but so poignant.

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955over 2 years ago

I bypassed it the first time. The reason being your warning about it being dark. I am glad I gave it a chance. Not dark at all

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 2 years ago

That was painfully true and very well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A sad story that plays out every day - unfortunately. Thank you for your tale. 5 stars (BTW - not dark, just so sad)

somewhere east of Omaha

ribnitinribnitinover 2 years ago

I have gotten accustomed to your writing style, to the point that it no longer jars me. That allows me to enjoy them more.

MattKesterMattKesterover 1 year ago

I lived in a town near New Orleans for a while, and I did business in Louisiana from Huntsville, AL, and Phoenix, AZ. You capture the dialog and culture of upstate perfectly. You also capture what I think of as the essence of those who are not born wealthy and who have a tough life. Interestingly, when I read the dialog, I can just hear the accept and idioms. And I smile and nod.

And I felt this one. I had a friend in high school basically screw himself by the choices he made. While I didn't try to date his ex-wife, I did spend time with her children. I told them the good stories that I remembered of their dad. The ex-wife was grateful for that. To my knowledge, they never saw him again, either.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Yes... it WAS dark... VERY dark, but very real and an authentic 'feel' to it.

Not my favorite of yours, but very real.

EastCoaster

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

First time I gave you a high five

ibuguseribuguserover 1 year ago

Dumb Ass Husbands is the right category.

5* for a well written story.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Thurd time reed this here yourn.

Still have family.

Dry date 5/13/77.

LOVE slap-hapy-papy #9

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

The story was right on. It well documented the dissolute life of one of lifes losers.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinion11 months ago

Gave it 4-stars for the writing. But this is absolutely not a feel-good story. If you have a friend or family member that has a substance abuse problem, then you know it affects everyone their lives touch. This story brings to light memories that are better left in the dark corners of your mind.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

There is no one on this site who can connect with his characters as quickly and deeply in so few words. Still the best.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

YOUR STORY IS RIGHT ON THE MARK FOR THE HUSBAND AND DRUG ABUSE ONCE STARTED NO TURNING BACK. WHEN THEY FINALLY WAKE UP THEIR LIFE IS GONE

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Not a helpful comment, I Know but I detest ALL DRUG (illegal) users, Alcoholics, etc... speak the phrase "Self Medicating" and I hope you O.D. I don't care if it's the supposedly functioning sort or junkies, my favorite plan for them all is to spike the sources of illegal drugs so when they're processed the become lethal at first dose (it's an EVIL, MALICIOUS plan and not good for ones Karma) to thin the herd of D.U.I.s out there and then need to work on the drunk drivers who need to be disposed of.

I know, I went off on a rant but drug and alcohol abusers are one of a few varieties of human beings I long to see exterminated along with Nazi, KKKers and any others who can't stop ruining the worlds decent peoples lives, I know decent people exist, I've met some (and I don't mean the holier than thou religious "Holy Hat brigade type) and hope and pray the become the majority of the worlds population.

You drink, you drug, you deserve to loose all.

fredbrownfredbrown4 months ago

I've written and threw away two separate comments on this sad little tale. I could fill a short school bus with guys like John (was) within a mile of my house. Sad story, sad life they've bought into .......

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJimBob44@JimBob44
All stories published on Literotica under the name JimBob44 are the sole property of the author. Permission is NOT granted to anyone to publish these works elsewhere.