King of Hearts Ch. 03

Story Info
Cat and Erich.
3.9k words
4.6
3.7k
4
Story does not have any tags

Part 3 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/25/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Keep up, Mr. Radner," Cat called back behind her, turning her head for just a second to stare back at the heaving, sodden mass of man that was lying on the pavement behind her. He groaned, yanking a white handkerchief from the pocket of his jogging shorts.

"I give up." He panted and forced himself to sit up, his head between his legs. "You win."

"This isn't about winning, Mr. Radner." She couldn't keep the satisfaction out of her voice. "This is about making you worthy of running King of Hearts. It's something I believe in, something I've put one hundred percent of myself in. I would have anyone who wants to be part of it do the same thing."

"Just so you can go and beat up on cheating husbands?" He looked up when he felt her stand in front of him and glared down at him.

"You'd know about cheating husbands, wouldn't you, Mr. Radner."

He stared up at her for a moment, and she could see the confusion in his eyes.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Nothing. Now get up and let's go, we have another two miles to go." They'd already ran twelve, two more than she usually did but she was determined to make him cry uncle and leave the firm. "Then we can go to the gym and do some sparring."

"Sparring? You mean as in hitting each other?"

"Yes, it's the only way you can get used to it." He'd have a lot to get used to, she vowed silently. He was going to feel every bit of pain that she'd inflicted on other cheaters. Maybe when he was flat on his back on the mat, maybe then she'd tell him she knew he was married.

She turned away as he held out his hand for her to help him up and began to jog down the path again, her sweat soaked sports bra cupping her firm breasts, her short running shorts showing off her tan thighs and the muscles that pumped in her legs. She ran like a long legged gazelle, all grace and beauty, seemingly effortless as her feet glided on the pavement.

Erich glared after her. Then he got up, shoved the handkerchief back in his pocket and took off after her... again. He was beginning to regret wanting to see her again.

She'd been on his mind almost constantly since the night they'd spent together. If he hadn't gotten the news the next morning, the news that had changed his life, he had planned to call her and ask her out to dinner.

But he'd gotten the call from his brother's attorney, telling him of the car accident that had taken his brother and sister-in-law's lives. Erich had been particularly close to his brother, Alex, partly because they were close to the same age but mostly because Erich had almost raised his brother when their mother had committed suicide at the age of thirty-two. Their father had left her for another woman and she hadn't been able to cope on her own.

So in a fit of depression, she'd taken a handful of sleeping pills, washing them down with a bottle of vodka while her sons were at school. Erich had been the first one in the door and he'd found his mother, her body cold, vomit on the floor next to her.

After that, they'd been put in the foster care system. They'd gotten lucky and had been placed with a family who could take both the two boys so they weren't split up.

Alex had a hard time dealing with his mother's death. It caused him to have horrible nightmares where his mother looked up, her face swollen and bloated and called his name.

He'd taken care of Alex, protected him from the bullies and the pitfalls of being in the system. He'd let his brother crawl into his bed in the middle of the night when the dreams became too much to handle on his own.

His car had lost control on the interstate late at night. The accident had killed both of them instantly as it blew up into a fiery inferno after striking a concrete abutment. They'd left four children orphaned, and had named him their guardian. The kids took up so much of his time and deserved more than being pulled from one old house to another. They'd changed his life.

"Mr. Radner, are you coming or shall I call you a cab?" Cat voice yanked him out of his thoughts. He glared at her for an instant and a picture grew in his head. He could imagine how it would feel to wrap his hands around her throat. He would laugh in her face as hers turned red and then blue. With a sigh, he shook that pleasant thought away and nodded and stepped up his pace even as he wondered if he was too young to have a coronary.

"Are you doing this on purpose?"

"Doing what?" Her face was the picture of innocence.

"Nothing, just nothing." He refused to look her way. If he had, he'd have seen a very satisfied smile upon her face, almost like the cat that ate the cream.

"Oh come on, Mr. Radner. You told me that you were in shape. A little jog through the beautiful morning air won't kill you."

"I'm not so sure of that. I'm not sure I'd call this 'a little jog'."

They ran for a while longer, the only sound his labored breathing then she turned them toward the park gate. Her small sports car was parked next to his truck, the name of his construction firm emblazoned across the side.

"Follow me to the gym." She unlocked her door and slid into the soft leather of the car seat. He nodded and hung onto the side mirror of his truck. He bent slightly to catch his breath. He watched as she zipped out of her parking spot and headed toward the exit to the park.

"You must have really pissed her off something fierce." The voice was at his elbow and he glanced up to see an elderly man. The man stood close to him and was dressed in tattered but clean clothing. There was an air about him, a demeanor was that of a person who had known the better things in life.

"What do you mean?" Erich stood up straight and turned to face the man.

"In all the years I've watched her jog in this park, she's never ran anyone like she did you today. So what did you do?"

"I'm still trying to figure that out. But once I do, you'll be the second to know." He held out his hand and shook the older man's hand. Then he unlocked his truck door and climbed in. He nodded at the old man before backing away from his spot.

Cat waited for him when he came out of the locker room. He was wearing fresh gym clothes and he had showered before he'd come out. He had a feeling he'd need another before she was through with him today.

"It's about time. You know, I have other things I could be doing if you don't want to take this training seriously."

"Such as?" He was cool and calm but she wasn't going to push him around.

"Mr. Radner, my clients are numerous for both Heart Investigations and King of Hearts. If you are making light of my skills, perhaps I should just tender my resignation." Cat's body was held so tightly she almost seemed to vibrate.

"No, definitely not." Erich put his hands up as if to placate the prickly Cat. "I've met some of the men that you've dealt with in King of Hearts. I was impressed by the change in them."

"Well, when a woman with a gun threatens to shoot off your balls if you don't take her seriously, most men seem to go through a religious experience." She chuckled as she thought of how many men who had called out to the deity as she held their balls in a grip of iron.

"I can believe it. But what do you do for Heart Investigations?"

Cat smiled and thought of the case that she was sure she was going to wrap up this evening "I'm an investigator, Mr. Radner. I investigate."

"What? What kind of cases?"

She looked up and noted the sharp tone of his voice. "I've been successful on multiple types of cases, Mr. Radner. I do everything. I've found lost dogs as well as the mundane cheating husbands. In Heart Investigations, we have to be ready for any cases. I'm skilled at recovering lost and stolen art and can find lost people. Why do you ask?"

Erich thought of the police report he'd read about his brother's accident. It had been a clear night, nothing and no one on the roadways that would cause their accident.

His brother's blood alcohol level had been so low as to be nonexistent. Alex was a safe driver, especially with his wife in the car. He'd loved Marlie more than he'd loved his own life. He wouldn't do anything that would put her in danger.

Then there'd been the report on the car. Erich knew for a fact that Alex had taken the car in for a tune up the morning of the accident. It had been their sixth anniversary and he wanted to take Marlie away for a couple of days to have time alone with her. The report had stated that the brake fluid was low, which while it wouldn't have completely zeroed out the brakes, it would have made them sludgy and unreliable.

Alex's mechanic wouldn't have left it like that. He knew because he used the same man for any work he needed on his own vehicles. In his mind, he felt his brother's death was no accident, but he couldn't talk the police into looking into it. Maybe his one and only hope of proving his theory was going to be Cat.

"I'd like to watch you work. Is that possible?"

"You want to watch me work?" Cat couldn't believe that she'd heard him right. This man had a lot of gall and it was bound to get worse. She found it hard to not pound him into the floor. "No."

"No? You won't even consider it?"

"Mr. Radner, what I do for Joseph Heart is not something that I take lightly. Every case is an obligation for me to do my best for the people who are paying my salary. Dragging along a wannabee on a case is not giving them my one hundred percent."

"A wannabee? Is that what you think I am?"

"Yes, Mr. Radner. I don't know what kind of game your playing or why you've decided to come back here now, but I do think you're acting like a little boy playing cops and robbers. My job is dangerous. It's ninety-five percent stake outs and boredom, researching and computer work and about five percent excitement. But in that five percent, I have to be able to think on my feet. With you along, that would be almost impossible."

"Never-the-less, I want to be in on your next case." He punctuated that statement with a stubborn tip of his head.

"No, it will never happen."

* * * *

"I won't be held responsible for what happens to him, Joseph." Caitlyn paced in front of Joseph's desk, her cheeks flushed with rage. "I can't believe you are forcing this on me."

"Caitlyn honey, settle down a bit and listen to reason..." Joseph was cut off by a small scream of rage from Cat.

"Settle down? You want me to settle down? What reason? Your male perspective? Is that what you want me to listen to? I should have known you two men would stick together." She made another circuit of the room and opened her mouth to speak only to be interrupted by the sound of ring of a cell phone. She turned and glared at Erich and watched as he pulled the phone from his pocket and glanced at the screen.

"I have to take this." He stood up and stepped out of the room.

"You really can't want me to take him on this mission, Joseph. You do know where I'm going tonight and where I found the painting in question?"

"Yes, Caitlyn, I do know. I keep up with your cases as well as with everything else that happens here in my company." Joseph gave her the one look that she hated, the look that said he'd heard what she had to say and that she would be doing things his way. "Take him, show him what we do."

She threw her hands up in the air. "Fine." Then she turned and walked out of his office.

As she passed Erich in the hallway, she heard him speaking into his phone. "I love you too. I won't be home until really late tonight."

"Meet me in my office at seven thirty. Do not be late." He nodded, but she didn't see him, stomping her way into the elevator. Her gaze scorched over him as she hit the lobby button and then the doors closed and she was gone.

"Yeah, baby, Uncle Erich is still here." He heard the sweetest voice tell him that she loved him. It was enough to strengthen his resolve and sent a small smile to his lips.

* * * *

Erich knocked at the door that read Caitlyn Summers, Private Investigator. He entered at her call, surprised to see her dressed like some cat burglar from television. The cat suit she wore was skin tight, molding to her body, exposing every curve, hugging her breasts. She'd left it partially unzipped which showed off a good amount of cleavage while she got herself wired. Bambi held a small roll of tape and she ripped off a piece with her teeth.

"I normally wouldn't be wired, but because you've decided to come along, I want back up handy if you happen to get into trouble. I have your clothing over there as well as your wire. Bambi will help you." She zipped up her suit and yanked up on the hood to cover her hair. Her hair had been braided and put up in a bun at the back of her head. Turning to her desk, she picked up a tiny receiver and placed it in her ear.

"Radio check," she told Bambi who spoke into a small microphone. "Yep, I got you, loud and clear. Just remember, the security at this place will be obscene. You'll need to stay as far back as possible. Last thing I need is for you to get caught in the radio van."

Erich turned, half dressed, his chest bare as Bambi ran a wire from his stomach with its washboard abs through the light furring of hair on his chest. She taped the microphone between his nipples, taking pleasure in placing extra tape across his chest hair.

"This is the receiver," she said, handing him the tiny piece of machinery. She helped him put it into place before going to the microphone and doing a radio check. Bambi smiled when he flinched and turned to give her a dirty look. Then he pulled up his own suit, zipping it up.

"Shouldn't I have a gun?" he asked Caitlyn as he watched her stash her Glock in its holster.

"Do you have a permit to carry?" Cat asked him, knowing damn well he didn't.

Instead, she handed him her Asp, showing him how the metal rod shot out and how to use it. "You keep it sheathed unless you absolutely need it. But even then, I expect you to take off and run if I tell you to. This isn't a joy ride, Mr. Radner. We will be breaking into a house tonight to steal back expensive artwork. I expect you to do everything I say when I say."

"You're the boss, at least for tonight," he said, taking the sheath for the asp and pulling it onto a belt that he wrapped around his lean waist.

"Just as long as you remember that," she said. Then she picked up her kit, checking once more that she had the new by-pass system for the alarm. "You're sure this is going to work," Cat asked Bambi.

"If they haven't changed the system, it'll work. Will you quit worrying so much, Cat. How many times have we done this?"

"Never with an untrained observer. I don't want any complications." She nodded at Erich and moved past him, gesturing for him to follow her. They went through another door out of her office which took them to a flight of stairs. She hurried down them, Bambi behind her, Erich behind the two women. Soon they entered another door that led into a garage that was under the building.

Cat opened the side door of a van that looked as if it had seen better days. It was rusted, one side dented in, but the engine was kick ass and it started on the first crank. "You're in the back."

Erich got in, impressed by the type of equipment that filled the back end of the van. It was all state of the art or better. He sank back into the seat, his eyes shining as he watched Cat get into the passenger side. Clicking on her seat belt, she turned in the seat and gave him a look, nodding her head at his belt. "Put it on."

"Yes ma'am," he said, a hint of amusement in his deep voice. "Whatever you say."

"If that was true, you wouldn't be here with us tonight. I'd be doing this solo instead of putting another of my team members in danger because of you." Cat shut her mouth, taking a deep breath to calm herself down. She had a lot to think about beside his presence. The painting would have to be taken off the frame, rolled and put into a protective tube. It would have to be done without harming the canvas that it was painted on.

Caitlyn hated reclaiming stolen artwork. It was the worst part of her job but one she took very seriously. There were so many things that could go wrong. "What do you know of the Donatelli family?"

"Arthur Donatelli? He's a very dangerous man and not one that I'd like to go up against, why?" His eyes widened and he stared at her unbelieving. "We are going to rob Arthur Donatelli?"

"Not exactly. We're retrieving a stolen painting for a client. The thief happens to be Arthur Donatelli." Cat smirked slightly. "Sure you don't want to change your mind?"

"Yeah," Erich said. "I think you're completely fucking crazy but I wouldn't miss this for the world."

The trip across town took very little time at this hour of night. Bambi expertly steered the van into an alley close to the huge townhouse of Arthur Donatelli and his family. They'd done their research, staking out the building. Tonight, the family would be at their restaurant, making an appearance and eating dinner. They wouldn't be back for a few more hours.

"I'll let you know when they are on their way," Bambi said. She leaned over, her forehead pressing against Cat's as she whispered something to her. Then she kissed her quickly on the cheek.

Cat slipped out of the van, opening the side door to let Erich out. "You stay in my footsteps. If I say freeze..."

"I'll be thirty below zero."

Cat took off at a quick jog, going around the building to a back entrance. The door was locked, a camera situated above it that panned the area in front of and around the door. Cat timed the swing of the camera, holding out her hand to stop Erich. She reached into the pack that was around her waist, pulling out a small leather kit as well as two wires with clips on either end.

"Stay here," she whispered.

Timing her approach, she stuck close to the wall, reaching the door just as the camera would have caught her. Reaching up, she used the wires on the camera, by-passing the signal. "Bambi, record," she hissed loud enough to be caught by the wire.

"Done Cat," she heard in her ear.

"Loop it and play," Cat ordered, waiting until she got the okay before signaling Erich.

"Stay close to the wall," she called. Then she knelt and went to work on the door. In only seconds, she had the lock turning over. She returned her tools to the small leather roll and then slid out a long handled mirror. Using it to check under the door, she cursed lightly.

"We've got a guard at the door."

Erich was about to open his mouth but then just watched in amazement as Cat pulled open the door and before the guard even knew what hit him, had the man unconscious on the floor. She let him drop gently, cushioning his fall before rising and motioning him in.

"That was incredible," he whispered to her, his eyes showing his admiration.

"Thanks." She turned toward a small stairway that led to a room that held a bank of monitors. It was deserted for the moment. "Okay, we've got two more guards up on the second floor. The painting is in the library. Stay behind me and don't be a hero, got me?"

"Yeah," he whispered. "I'm right on your heels."

She stepped lightly over the cherry hard wood floors, the slippers on her feet making no noise. Peeking into the rooms as she went along, she waved him back as they approached the huge, grand staircase. Checking the risers, she turned so that she could see up the staircase, breathing a sigh of relief when they were cleared.

The library was on the other side of the stairs and she waved him inside.

It smelled heavily of cigar smoke and old books. The walls were dark paneling, filled with shelves from floor to ceiling. An unlit fireplace was on one side of the room, over it was the painting. Cat moved quickly, grabbing a leather padded chair and pulling it to the wall. Using the mirror again, she scanned the back of the painting, finding what she thought she would. It was wired.

12