All Comments on 'La Belle Dame Sans Merci'

by firstkiss

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
mokkelkemokkelkealmost 14 years ago

it's indeed a little bit different, but still it portraits her emotions very clearly. it's always nice to read something well written and a bit on the off side :)

kiwiplumkiwiplumalmost 14 years ago
clever

wow, really interesting well told short story in the classic sense. So glad that it talked you into posting it :)

W_O_GW_O_Galmost 14 years ago
Excellent

Very compelling and quite lyrical.

Thanks for posting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago

I'm a follower of yours and love reading your stories. The way you write is so capturing. And I will have to say that this is my favorite that I have ever read from you and on this website. There is something about it that is so different from your other stories. But it captures emotions and a realistic nature that you don't often see in writing. I'm not only glad you decided to post this story, I'm happy you wrote it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
This really is a beautiful short story in the true sense

You've managed to allude to so much in such a short piece.

victorechovictorechoalmost 14 years ago
I had forgotten about this one

I am very happy you found a title for it. It still haunts me.

The_FoolThe_Foolalmost 14 years ago
Impervious

As youths, we think of love as permanent, impervious. As we grow older, we learn the truth. Even now as an adult, I think of art as ageless. Some is, some isn't. It makes me angry for a beautiful painting to be destroyed, even with words, even though it never existed. I see her. I know her. I've slept with her and loved her. And she has loved me. But there is always someone willing to sunder that reality, that dream.

So do I hate or love your words? They are just words. But they inspire the emotion felt, both love and grief, so for that I must love them. And at you I must smile. You might be able to despise a painting, but you could never slash that canvas.

bluetigerlilybluetigerlilyalmost 14 years ago
breathtaking

You do have a way with words. The emotion in this story is powerful, and so much history and feeling packed into this trinket. Beautiful.

wingedsilverdragonwingedsilverdragonalmost 14 years ago
Gripping

I don't know why this is put under the NonHuman category. Maybe I'm taking it too literary. When I think of NonHuman, I think of animals, creatures of the night, not the faceless body of a painting. The story itself is marvelous. I liked how the painting became a living entity in this woman's life without having to do anything but exist. I enjoyed her realization of the fact that she shared the same opinion, in the end, as the widow. And I liked that she was the one to actually have done something about that painting in the end. No grammatical or punctuational problems that I expected, which was great since it didn't break up the story for me. Firstkiss, you are a talented author!

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 13 years ago
Wow!

Now there was a climax!

I kept asking myself "How is she ever going to wrap up this one? La belle dame is going to get the painting, but then what?" I should have caught the clue you buried in the title.

Absolutely splendid!

1rndm11rndm1over 13 years ago

Somehow reminds me of Dorian Grey. This was great!

rexbrookdalerexbrookdalealmost 13 years ago
The Fool says it all

Ditto to the Fool's comment.

I do hope you would never slash a painting, yourself. I know I never would; not a painting like this one. Perhaps one of my own; but probably I'd just paint over it rather than slash and rip.

LynLeoLynLeoalmost 12 years ago
very interesting

A good short story, but not erotica. You might have better luck with this one on a site not dedicated to sex. Powerful story.

fanfarefanfarealmost 10 years ago
shiocking

firstkiss, I have to congratulate you for creating such a powerful little story. So much passion, so much love, so much hate on a single page. With an ending as horrifying as watching a library burn.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Creative

Were you at all inspired by the novel Picture of Dorian Gray? Very nicely turned short story. You should submit it elsewhere as it is not pornographic.

Archangel_MArchangel_Mover 8 years ago

Absolutely fascinating. I agree with the previous commenter that this should find its way into some collection of serious prose. :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userfirstkiss@firstkiss
A lot has changed since I began writing on this site 16 years ago as a wet-behind-the-ears 20-something — met an amazing partner, got married, started a business, and became a mom. Life with a kid underfoot doesn’t exactly make for much free time for sexy writing. I still da...