All Comments on 'Life as a New Hire Ch. 30'

by FinalStand

Sort by:
  • 46 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Excellent!

Coming on strong: love the O'Shea action in here. You will need to write a side bar story on Temujin's return/ascension, but this was great! Stayed up an extra 2 hours to be able to read this before I went to bed.

Excellent work!

pariah001pariah001over 9 years ago

This story is taking leaps and turns I can never hope to imagine. The creativity involved is just staggering. Keep on writing FinalStand, one of the best series I've ever had the pleasure and honor of reading!

emeraldknight74emeraldknight74over 9 years ago
umm wow

I keep thinkning "He had to have peaked, there has to be some downtime now in the story." Then the next chapter comes out and I am proven wrong AGAIN! Keep it up up and well, we all might have to do SOMETHING! lolz

djexempt77djexempt77over 9 years ago
Jesus Christ!!!!

You gotta turn this into a book. This is great. I think I could get half the women I know to read it and you would be the cause of a small baby boom in Texas.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wow again

i can't stop reading... I disagree about a book though this should definitely get a movie deal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
amazeballs

I don't often comment, but when I do its because of truly epic things

Your story is amazing in the depth of the characters and the pace of the story is just right.

You have scope to build so much more and if you look at it as a universe you have yourself a treasure trove that would make most envious.

All these other societies seem to have stories that may need to be told too, if you are ever up to it.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

DK

cliuincliuinover 9 years ago
Amazing

It's time to put somebody who knows what she/he is doing in control of the Task Force. Aren't anymore the silly games what the CIA is usual doing, Cael took the games to another level, so it's time the CIA put some Division Chief with field experience on control and not a bureaucrat ( if it's still necessary to keep the CIA in the game ) .

Cael has ties with the E&S showing where was Temujin before the Seven Pillars had the chance to capture him ,the reason why now he is a Prince, rewarded by allowing and protecting the Sulkanen family's holdings ( somehow this is still a favour in the eyes of Temujin ) . Now with his diplomatic mission making the Brits to recognize the Khanate , he did a second or third favour. Helping Miyako's clan ( the Ninjas ) he is doing a favour to the Nine Clans .The Illuminati are already on his side thanks to his grandfather and his aunts. Putting everything together , the other secret societies will come to Cael slowly , if not for an alliance for a truce . With the Seven Pillars out, the Condottieri are in the deep water with sharks coming from every direction when Cael decides to hunt hem down .

On the other hand, with the Host, the Khanate, his aunts, his grandfather, Saku, various girls , the US of A ,Cael can't be safe even in the outer space . Even if he can evade in the outer space, with his luck , some aliens ( girls ) would want a piece of him .

Like always an amazing work , thank you !

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
suspension of disbelief

The only thing I can't believe here is Cael proposing to Hana without ever having sex with her. I know time was short, but he needs to get his priorities straight again. ;)

maxd01maxd01over 9 years ago
Yo dude

Nice post and I have been waiting for it. It was nice to see more interaction between Cael and the others. I understand you had to set the scene and all that but damn I missed his crazyness and how he verbally played with others. Now I have to wait for the next damn chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
It picked up speeeeeeed

20 chapters ago the sparring in the plane would have been a single chapter. But hey, it's cruising along nicely, so please continue.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Trying to slow down

Complaints heard and I'm working on more dialogue/conversation between the characters.

From Chapter 32 (yes, 31 is with the editors already)

**“We’ve used Butch and Sundance,” Pamela checked her L42 Enfield Sniper Rifle. It was the weapon Pamela had trained with and used for longer than I’d been alive – old yet very effective even today.

“<b>Heat</b>?” I offered up. “You can be De Niro and I can be Kilmer.”

“Nice. Michael Mann really had a way of killing people,” Pamela grinned then pumped her eyebrows. “Too bad I end up dead in this one.”

“We’ll avoid airports – you should be safe,” I jibbed. Three explosions rocked the building, shooting glass throughout the place. Fortunately, Pamela and I were hiding behind the bar.

**

gnome_mangnome_manover 9 years ago
Rockin, Rockin, Rockin Along!

Whee doggies, FS! Now he's an ambassador for Ireland! Hana is taking all this seriously, but what about all the other (40,000 Amazons, at least a couple of hundred others - God knows how many) women?

I'm not going to be able to sleep until I see the next episode!!!

Rolly_J_McGeeRolly_J_McGeeover 9 years ago
If the plot gets any thicker...

...readers will need some sort of study guide or companion-book to take some of the strain off our poor brains. (Seriously, I'm not joking. Ask yourselves how many fellow fans found that character list/guide helpful? Cáel is surrounded by so many women, nearly all of whom play significant roles in the story's progression, so it's virtually impossible to keep them all straight while remaining a "casual Cáel follower." Those of us without the aid of eidedic memory abilities have to actually put forth significant effort to keep track of who is whom and who is doing what to keep up with the pace of the story.)

FYI that wasn't a criticism. I've thoroughly enjoyed the complexities, nuances, and convolutions of the story thus far.

One of the greatest obstacles in writing a story such as this is found when the story's complexity outpaces the hero/heroine's ability to remain what they were in the beginning. For example: a happy-go-lucky adventurer sets off on a grand adventure; but, by the end of the tale he/she is eclipsed by the sheer volume of plot-lines, side-quests, digressions, and massive amounts of largely unnecessary minutia; instead of staying focused on the hero's immediate story, it becomes a tedious exercise of trying to tie everything together. Left unchecked, the leading character goes from struggling with his immediate surroundings to micro managing the entire author-created universe.

.. and loses their identity in the process.

Thankfully, your story doesn't seem to be headed in that direction. I'm eager to see how your storytelling skills continue to avoid that pitfall while continuing to add new ingredients to the mix!

One thing I'd love to see more of is Cáel and Aya interacting. In addition to being heartbreakingly adorable, Aya is clearly becoming Cáel's moral and emotional center. Killer Amazon or not, she is his heart. It would be neat if Cáel and Aya could text each other any time Cáel needed to ground himself or Aya needed a little "daddy-time," when they are apart. It would make a nice contrast to his banter with Pamela or Buffy, I think.

Whatever form it takes, I'm waiting on the edge of my seat for the next chapter! Keep up the awesome work!

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
gee whillikers folks

I see all these complaints in the commentaries, for chapter after chapter. Of readers complaining about how complicated this storyline is and how there are too many characters to keep track of.

Yet if you asked each complainant they would claim that they are literate and quite well-experienced at multi-tasking.

So why are their car insurance rates so high?

This is exactly why I loathe and despise the dead religion of Academic English. As they have been misseducating generations of the gullible into intellectual mediocrity.

Stop and think of how many people you interface with everyday. How many more once every week or two and how many over months and years.

You do manage to keep their identities and relationships to you and each other straight, do you not?

If you are having a problem with this story, you need to accept the responsibility of trying harder.

Just as if you were part of a work project or a sports team but failing to contribute to the group effort.

eastwardeastwardover 9 years ago

i enjoy the series very much, just like any other of your writings.

thank you very much, FS.

do you think a sort-of spin off to explain the history of the clans &amp;amp; secret societies would be possible, sort of like silmarillion?

NutRanchNutRanchover 9 years ago
Wow... just... wow

It's already been said so I won't belabor the point.

Much.

Enjoying this story more than the "real" paid authors I follow in the world.

Seriously, look into putting some into print.

=0)

ManofMithgarManofMithgarover 9 years ago
Convoluted!

You have more branches going in this story than a blackberry bush. Very interesting and exciting, I am loving the story.

Papaduck1949Papaduck1949over 9 years ago
I agree with the praise stated above!

This story is a feast. I don't know how you keep all the characters involved, popping out of the woodwork, with all the twists of your plot. I love it! Keep it up, I'll mourn when it ends. Please give us a hint of other works you have written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Might contain spoilers. Might not ;)

So, this is how I see it: To me it's pretty clear that the mc is the vessel for Alal's resurrection. (Perhaps I'm wrong).

Why? Firstly, it's a recurring theme in many supernatural intrigues so I had it in mind from the start.

Secondly, after hearing about the three names it seems clear that Cáel is the last incarnation, right? The last, perfected one.

Finally, I'm not big on destiny, meaning I'm more likely to accept premeditation than predestination (if it's even a word)

In other words:

A direct descendant of the guy just 'happens' to befriend the woman that killed him, an old friend he promised to resurrect and most of the prominent hidden societies. Also securing diplomatic immunity and contacts in the US, Great Britain and possibly most of China (or however the Khanate ends up being called) plus an engagement to the sole inheritor (-tress?) of a big fortune. (she's hot, fun nice and smart, not in that order, and he still wants to escape, the pig)

That descendant happens to be an exact clone with his memories and abilities, training and the love/respect of most of the people he meets and a reputation of extravagant actions and humble demeanor.

At this stage in the plot (kind of halfway through) said descendant already 'somehow' finds himself in a position of power without any suspicion of foul play placed on himself. One might suspect some underhandedness in all of this really, Pamela herself said a part of his soul attached to her and she's perfectly in tune with him while still pulling strings behind his back for ***s sake!! I don't exactly suspect her but I smell fish.

On a side note, if the previous body had any issues with fertility I guess it's safe to say Cáel doesn't have such problem.

So really, he is sharp, a conoisseur of women, an expert lover and a loveable guy in a young, drool-worthy, trained body. And don't forget the direct line to Dot Ishara, a goddess.

If that isn't a perfect host then...

Let's be honest, at this point he has someone else's memories and abilities admitedly taking over his mind and conditioning his body, more precisely 500 years worth of them. So his makeup a this point is 1/25th Cáel and counting.

Really, in my definition, he's pretty much screwed, as in, the harm's done and I don't see an easy way out knowing that things will get worse still.

My bet right now is that, unless the concept of inmortality has been discarded from the drawing board, Cael himself is either already inmortal or on his way to becoming one.

I might go as far ass saying that he probably will notice somthing's amiss when he at some point doesn't die when he should.

Also I should shut up right about this instant.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
WOW AND WOW AGAIN

FS, this just keeps gettint better and better. One of my top favorite stories. This would make an exciting Novel i would be pleased to purchase! Thank you for keeping me entertained and sitting on the edge of me seat waiting for what happens next!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Cael is the hero, Alal is the villain.

Cael has a part of Alal's soul. It was torn into 3 parts and dispersed. Pamela killed Cael O'shea (Alal) but he could not stay dead while there are parts of his soul still in the mortal plane. Cael got a memory dump to even the playing field when Alal takes a new body. (From the sound of the attack in London He is back.) Cael has Alal's memorys but not his experience. (5000 yrs worth.) Pamela died and was sent back like Saku. She is Cael's guide and she cannot die till Cael does. Cael and Alal will someday have to face each other unless Cael can rip the part of Alal's soul from his body. The last 3 chapters have made that kind of clear. (unless I am all screwed up, only FS could tell uswhere I am wrong.)

FS, this story is fantastic. I love the plot. The sex is ok but not what I look for in this work now. Your plot is the best I have read in quite a while.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Fine

Cáel is Cáel. The memories are just that - memories. By embracing them, he can function as if he had those skills. He does not lose himself when he does so, though some experiences are overwhelming from a sensory standpoint.

Alal is, in fact, back.

Pamela has the Baraqu-part of that soul, this she could kill, temporarily, Alal. She didn't know until she took herself to the cliffs that if she died, he would get the Baraqu part back.

Cáel does have Alal's memories. This also means that he will eventually have the memories of Alal's plan. That means Alal WANTED Cáel to have those memories and the knowledge of what he is attempting to do.

A theme in this story has been confronting fate. Destiny puts you in the place to do great things, but the choice to act, or how you act, is still your own. And, if you don't think that is the case, re-read the Alal's story. Remember, Cáel is still essentially the same being he was in Chapter One. He made himself the man he is. He studied, worked out, romanced and embraced the challenges that confronted him. That is key because Cáel doesn't pass the buck. He guesses wrong occasionally, but he learns and moves forward. Whatever spiritual mumbo jumbo and steam-punk science (Alal was growing female clones of himself a 100 years ago) this story contains, it is still about a person making choices he hopes he can live with (and scoring as many chicks as possible).

As for Hana Sulkanen - just imagine the encounter when Aya knocks on Hana's door and asks to have a to have a talk about Hana's fiance/Aya's 'Fehér mén'.

"Lady, please don't hurt Cáel. If you do...well I'm only nine. Don't make me kill you."

One last thing - Cáel does make mistakes and since the story is told from his perspective, you are given his false assumptions as "Facts".

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Guessing

Hanna may feel the sexual attraction but she is too smart to believe Cael all of the sudden loves her.

Pamela or Delilath is "the inside spy".

Alal realized his mistake attacking the Amazons through history and is making amends. Does not want grandson killed.

txcrackertxcrackerover 9 years ago
WOW !

My thoughts are hard to put into words so pariah001 put it better than I could have .

Thanks again another 5*****'s and waiting for more .

TX CRACKER

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
what is the insignia of new Ishara?

what happened to the statue of new Ishara?

also Temujin can't pull of the operation you described in aksaichin unless he controls khotan. by the way plains of aksaichin are called soda plains.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Clarifications, Chapter 31 and a new Cast of Characters (upcoming)

Yes, the 'plains' are actually soda flats ~ the area is rather hellish. The only truly valuable thing in the valley is the road that links up two parts of Tibet. Another means of smuggling troops into the Aksai Chin region would be with the assistance of the Pakistani ISI. All they had to do was let these 'Turks' pass invisibly through their territory and it wasn't like anyone was looking for a move like that. None of the people, or equipment trace back to them.

Chapter 31 as submitted today around 4:30 pm (Nov. 20, 2014)

I am now going to prep the wonderful CoC Nutranch did for me, or go back to working on Chapter 32. I'm not sure which one to tackle next.

AmmononAmmononover 9 years ago
A word about Hana. Hope FS does not mind.

Hana is not stupid. She has had the time to investigate Cael. We know she talked to Odette when Cael was in a coma. Odette would have spilled her guts. Cael was haveing sex with Brooke when Hana met him so she knows he was haveing sex with 3 girls in her fathers house. (ch. 23) I'm sure her eyes are open. We also know she is older than Cael and has a daughter. She could actualy make a good wife for Cael. She might be able to put up with his infidelity. She respects his willingness to pay back her helping him. People with the kind of money she has understands arranged marriages. These are my thoughts from what I have dug out of the story. Only FS can say for sure if my facts are straight.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Excellent read

I had commented earlier as well and I still maintain in the spirit of the story the twists seem reasonable inspite of his total disregard for social niceties he is a great character....flawed but great. There is one question that I do have .....the ghosts of the runners he encounters for not being included into the houses are in some kind of limbo coz of broken promises....but he does not see the ghosts of the Amazon men, male children, innocents who were murdered coz of the stupidity or whatever of one of their family members.....the goddess seems to want him to help save the Amazon race by ensuring availability of a better gene pool .....what does it mean for Cael's future...when he outlives his purpose.....since punishment for the innocents does not seem to be on her agenda I assume even the goddess does not place much value on the male lives....just something I was grappling with

FinalStandFinalStandalmost 9 years agoAuthor
Ghosts and Amazons

The option for being an ancestor only belongs to the Ancestors and is the province of Yakko Ishara as she claims people to belong to her house (along with Dot and Wakko). The dead boys and breeding males were never Amazons so are not eligible no matter what Cael desires. The deceased Runners died as Amazons and their fame was great enough to survive their deaths so that they weren't lost in the Black Sands.

Yes, the Amazons remain ALMOST an all female sorority. If you look back on it, the Ash Men were truly amazing human beings. They sacrificed so much and fought so hard for the people they considered to be mothers, aunts, sister and daughters. They were all incredible warriors that had to be better than the average Amazon. They fought for half as much recognition for being twice as good. Even then, the elite of the Amazon, the cavalry, was closed to them. The Amazons have always been prejudiced and that is not going to change overnight ... not matter how good Cael is. After all, they are Amazons ~ the best WOMEN warriors on the planet (in their minds). I hope this helps.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Good but

How many times are you going to show that the MC and the gang are supper bad asses by recounting previous bad-assery or pulling guns out? Also MC is legit a terrible person acting like a spoilt child when there's literally millions of life on the balance. Goodness isn't soft? Not actually doing anything about an impending doom? Must be a morally ambiguous edge lord. Still im on chapter 30 is good stuff good stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Pondering...

1.) Ghosts and Amazons: Does this mean Pamela won't get to see her brother in her afterlife with stories of his nieces/grand nieces etc.. :( ?

2.) Has Cael met some other aunts? Page 1 says he met 6 of them whilst at the law firm, Pg 6 says/excludes Imogen, Matilda, Baibre, Kelly from that 6.

Matthew A.

FinalStandFinalStandabout 8 years agoAuthor
Matthew A.

Please take into account I'm not in great shape mentally at this moment.

1). The ghost of male Amazons would rapidly dissipate - in general. Countering this ~ twins share souls in this story so Pamela's brother has a 'life line' which could keep him whole in the Land of the Black Sands. Add to this Pamela's Legend giving him extra strength.

1 A) The ghosts of the Ash Men remain ... after 2600 years powered by their incredible love for their people and the wrong done to them. Note: the Wrong has NOT been corrected. The ghosts of Vranus and Bolu and their descendants won't end until the return of the Arinniti sons. Cael did feel the presence of Vranus in Chicago along with the first Ishara back in Chapter 20. He was incorrect in believing Vranus would cease his quest merely because he had been reunited with the Yakko Ishara.

1 B) In the same way, the 'Runner' ghosts survived due to their heroism until Cael 'recognized' them and allowed them to pass on to the Halls of Isharan Ancestors.

2.) I have left it unclear which of the aunts he's met. At the funeral were the ones on the plane plus Briana.

2 A) As of chapter 45, you learn Sibeal (Cael's Mom) and her sisters are all the 'third generation' of female O'Shea offspring. Aunt Faoiltiama is actually a Great-Aunt ~ the sole survivor of the 2nd generation.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Wow

Thanks a bunch, FS. I hope you catch a break with your struggle. You are already a 12/10 author with your burdens, simply awesome yarn. A ways to go until that other chapter. So i guess Sibeal makes her appearance as well. I bet Dora has done something bad (there was a line about her being late to a meeting -- I'm reading too much maybe).

I'm loving this so far. Maybe you can do a Sakuniyas with your life as well? ;)

Matt August.

goodwritingfangoodwritingfanalmost 7 years ago
Clarifications regarding Pamela

James,

One of the comments mentioned the following "Pamela herself said a part of his soul attached to her and she's perfectly in tune with him".

I'm sure she is referring to Baraqu's soul shard, But I don't recall her saying this to Cael. If she does, where does she say it?

Also you mention here Pamela has Baraqu's soul, if she had taken herself to the cliffs it would have gone back to Alal. But in the comments section in Charge. 47, you clarify saying Pamela does not have the Baraqu's soul shard anymore. I hope a clarification is in order.

Another thing I have taken on face value is their psychic bond. Is there an explanation for this? So far, I've just accepted that they are bonded. Just Mamitu. I would love to know if there is a explanation behind this.

Another thing, (I know I'm fishing here for a spoiler) when she kills Alal, she hears a voice in OKH giving her an insight. Is the ambiguity deliberate?

Thanks again James

Rohan

FinalStandFinalStandalmost 7 years agoAuthor
goodwritingfan

First off, I’m still working on that reply I owe you. Family stuff has come up. You are not forgotten!!!

**

One of the comments mentioned the following "Pamela herself said a part of his soul attached to her and she's perfectly in tune with him".

Pamela refers to a special resonance with Alal during the rave at Mindszent. While Alal still has the Alal soul fragment and Pamela, having bonded with the Baraqu fragment to kill Alal feels this, the Alal fragment is no longer the ‘primary/dominant’ member of the tetrarchy. That ‘honor’ has gone to Cáel. Among other things, this means Alal shouldn’t exist as a ‘person’.

After Pamela assassinated Alal/Grandpa Cáel, she released the Baraqu fragment. Keeping it close was inviting karmic disaster and she knew it. Had she died and taken it with her beyond this Realm through the Weave, she reasoned it would have reunited with Alal (his hope) making him that much harder to kill in the future. Pamela realized all she’d done was bought the Host time by killing Alal … so she waited and prayed she’d get a second chance to finish the Bastard off.

Instead she gets to mentor Alal’s grandson … which she has found to be much more rewarding work. ‘A life for a life’ and ‘a life measured by the lives you save, not the lives you take’.

Where is the Baraqu soul-shard? I’m not saying.

Is there a deeper connection between Pamela and Cáel? I’ve thought about this for a long time. I have embraced then discarded various ideas as the story has progressed. I have settled on an answer ~ deep, undying and abiding love.

It is the reason for the cryptic message Pamela was given over Alal’s corpse ~ which saved her life. It is the reason she is drawn to Cáel and he is drawn to her. It is more than Mamitu. It is, if you share a love, nothing is impossible.

Yes, I know this answer remains vague. Part of the mystery is yet to be revealed. Sadly, the explanation for this will have to wait until after the Great Hunt as this part of the story will take more time to unwind.

I hope this helps (a tiny bit),

James aka FinalStand

ranger86ranger86over 6 years ago
dear finalstand

Ive enjoyed many of your stories i hope your writers block is unfucked cause im getting over eager to read more hopefully before i get my ss old fuck check

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

I just noticed that you changed Odettes' last name from Sievert when she was first introduced.

FinalStandFinalStandover 6 years agoAuthor
Anonymous ...

... DOH! (face-palm)

Sorry about that.

James aka FinalStand

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Wow,

Now this is just getting ... weird! (And for this story - That’s W E I R D 😜)

I got married on the “Spring Equinox“, some years ago. And my birth sign is Libra (which starts on Autumnal Equinox).

At least I don’t have to count above double digits for the number of women .... 😉

“May the fleas of a thousand camels afflict your enemies!”

- pal

FinalStandFinalStandalmost 6 years agoAuthor
Anonymous ...

[SPOILER ALERT]

I am happy background information I've been able to weave into this tale has provided extra enjoyment into your partaking of this story. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Take care,

James aka FinalStand

P.S. Unfortunately, due to certain circumstances revealed in later chapters, the wedding has to be moved up from the Spring Equinox to New Year's Day. Our boy, Cáel, has been bad ~ Hana is having twins ~ and 'certain people' want her in a wedding dress before the 'bump' becomes overly noticeable.

P.P.S. "At least I don’t have to count above double digits for the number of women ..."

That's TRIPLE digits because a certain someone has an utterly out of control libido!!!

Geon54Geon54almost 4 years ago
Hana

God, I really like Hana. That girl really rolls with the punches. After Cael's lengthy recitation to Buffy of all the deaths he is responsible for (which didn't include her stepbrother and his friends), Hana's sole question is: "You have someone else's memories in your head?" She takes pretty much everything else in stride, but THAT raises her eyebrows. Definitely a keeper!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

My only criticisim, is that so much can happen so fast, it becomes hard to keep track of what is going on some times.

Malice21Malice21about 2 years ago

This is so on the nose right now…

WargamerWargamerabout 1 year ago

A little bizarre but still fun

5/5

Ravey19Ravey1911 months ago

Bizarre is an understatement but it is one he'll of a ride. Thoroughly enjoyable and so believable in many parts. 5 again.

skippersdadskippersdad9 months ago

I expected to hear at least one, "Hello Nurse" From Somebody. Still good stuff.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userFinalStand@FinalStand
First off, I thrive on feedback; so please fire away when you get the urge. I read it all and it often brings different perspectives. The main thing making me a little unusual is that I'm bi-polar … with some serious medication on board to stay semi-normal. My other character...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES