Life on Another Planet Ch. 06-09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,600 Followers

"Thanks," Jesse said, surprised at how easily the man accepted that he might be a candidate for a job.

"Sue," he called to the back of the store, "can you keep an eye on the front for me please. I'll be in my office for a few minutes."

"Okay," confirmed a young female voice from a hidden area in the rear.

Grant ushered Jesse into his little office and closed the door behind them.

"Ellen is getting a little too quick for me these days. My last student employee just got transferred to another school and had to leave. I was counting on him being here, so I haven't even had a chance to post for the job."

"So ... you know Mrs. Coultard well," Jesse said.

"Yes ... very well. She's a loyal customer and is always finding me new customers. In this case, she may have found me an employee. Tell me about yourself, Jesse."

"Uhhm ... well ... I just got out of hospital in mid-July after I was ill. I'm not able to qualify for university yet, so I need a job in the meantime while I catch up on the entrance requirements."

"Ellen ... Mrs. Coultard mentioned that you were a neighbour."

"Yes, I live next door to her with Doctor Mikeska. I helped her with some shopping bags and we got to talking. She said you might need a part time employee and I know I'd really like working in a book store, so she volunteered to bring me here today."

Norwood laughed. "She doesn't waste any time, does she? One conversation and you're down here applying for a job. What are your qualifications? What experience do you have?"

"Well, I worked in a grocery store for three years, and before that I had a paper route. I read a lot and spent a lot of time in my local library. My English teachers said I had some talent to be a writer, so I guess that encouraged me to try."

"How old are you?"

"I'll be nineteen in December, Sir."

"Okay ... and your ambition is to go to college, I take it."

"Yes ... as soon as I can qualify. When I was ill, I had some memory loss, so I'm not ready yet. Eve ... I mean ... Doctor Mikeska ... is going to help me get caught up. I'll do some of it on the computer, and the rest with her help."

"Where are your parents?" Grant asked.

"Well ... they're dead."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Okay, I do need someone and you seem like you want the job and have the interest to do it well. You've had a job before, so you know what an employer expects. This job will be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from one pm until six, when we close. It pays ten dollars an hour, less deductions for tax, etc. Will that be satisfactory?"

"Yes, Sir," Jess said enthusiastically. "Does that mean I have the job?"

Grant laughed again. "Yes, I'll give you a try. If Mrs. Coultard says I should, then I'll take her word for it."

"Thanks, Sir, thanks a lot." The excitement of getting the job was evident in Jesse's voice and posture.

"Why don't you come at noon on Monday and we can fill out the forms and get you started."

"I'll be here," Jesse grinned. He was genuinely pumped at getting a job this quickly. It made a big difference in his attitude.

Grant ushered him out of the office and Jesse went directly to Ellen Coultard.

"I got the job, Mrs. Coultard. Thanks a lot for telling me about this place. I'm really happy. I've got a job."

Ellen Coultard chuckled at Jesse's enthusiasm. It was her reward for recommending him to Grant. If he was that excited about a job, he'd be a good employee and that's all she could hope for. Grant was a friend and she'd be disappointed if Jesse let her and Grant down. She had a hunch that wouldn't happen. She signalled Grant and he picked up the phone to call the taxi.

~*~

"I got a job, Eve. I got a job," he exclaimed as he came into the apartment later that morning.

"Good for you, Jesse. Is it at the bookstore?"

"Yes. Mrs. Coultard made it possible, so I owe her. I'll have to find a way to thank her for her help."

"I'm sure she'd appreciate that. Tell me about the job."

"I won't know all the details until Monday. That's when I start. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, one to six. Ten dollars an hour pay, too. Pretty good, huh!"

"I'm glad you're happy. A book store will be a good place to work for a guy who wants to be a writer."

"Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I just have to make sure I do a good job for him ... Mr. Norwood. He's a nice guy, but Mrs. Coultard set it up for me. Anyway, I'm really glad I've got a job. I won't feel so useless now."

"I don't think you should ever feel useless, Jesse. You've got a lot more going for you now that you did just a couple of weeks ago. Next thing is to get your driver's license. Let me know when you want to take the test and I'll come with you."

"Yes. That will be a big help. Now I can start saving for a car, too."

"Maybe I can help with that. Let's get you qualified to drive first. Then we'll deal with getting you some wheels," she said.

"Yeah," he nodded, "First things first."

Eve had an idea that would provide Jesse with transportation when he got his license. There was an aging Toyota Land Cruiser sitting idle in the Whistler garage. No one was using it except when her parents were in town; usually at Christmas. At this time of the year, it just sat idle, gathering dust. She was sure her father wouldn't mind if Jesse used it during the time that no one was staying at the lodge. A phone call would confirm that.

It was good to see Jesse excited about something. She could tell he was getting depressed without something to keep him occupied. As much as he loved baseball, that was just a pastime for a couple of hours each week, weather permitting. The job would give him three days of work, and that would help with his attitude. Now it was time to work on a curriculum to help him catch up and qualify for university.

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:45am

"Hi, It's me, Jesse," he called as he entered the book store. There was no one visible so he thought it wise to announce his arrival.

"Be right there, Jesse," he heard coming from the office.

A few seconds later, Grant Norwood appeared, wiping his mouth with a paper napkin. "Just grabbing a bite to eat," he explained. "You're early."

"Thought I'd get a head start," the boy explained. "You don't have to pay me until one."

"Oh, that's a relief," Grant said with a grin. "That could blow the staff budget all to heck."

Jesse realized he was kidding and returned the grin with one of his own. He was still energized with having the job and was anxious to get started.

"This isn't a complicated job, Jesse. I'll show you how we catalogue and stack the books. Then I'll give you a quick course on the computer and cash register. It's all pretty straightforward."

"Okay. I can start anytime you're ready."

Grant smiled at the enthusiasm his new employee was exhibiting. It was nice to see someone who really appreciated having a job.

By closing time at six, Jesse and Grant were both satisfied that the young man knew what was expected of him and understood the working of both the cash register and the computer program that was used to place and trace orders. Grant had a website that allowed customers to order and pay online, something that Jesse was only barely aware of, although he'd seen something similar at Number 5 Sports on his first visit there.

"You didn't seem to have any problem catching on to what's required, Jesse," Grant noted as they locked up the store.

"No, it wasn't as complicated as I thought it might be. I think I'm really going to like working here, Grant. You've got so many interesting books on so many subjects. What should I do when my usual tasks are all done?"

"Well, Sue Chen, my other part-timer, studies. She's a student at UBC and wants to be a marine biologist or scientist. She's heading off to Victoria to do her Master's program next year. The little desk in the back where we store the cartons and incoming used books is where she spends her time if there's nothing going on. She normally works Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, but if she wants some quiet time to study, she often comes in here and sets up in the back. She's pretty dedicated to her education."

"Yeah, it sounds like it. Well, I'll see you Wednesday, Grant. Thanks again for giving me the job," Jesse said, extending his hand.

"You're welcome, Jesse. Good to have you here."

Grant watched as Jesse unlocked his bike and rode off toward home. He was satisfied that Mrs. Coultard had been right. He was a nice young guy who would try to do a good job for him. He was polite and learned quickly. More importantly, and unlike too many of the boy's contemporaries, he really wanted the job and was interested in the business. That was a bonus. Earning some money seemed to be important to him, but not the only thing on his mind. He'd have to remember to thank Ellen Coultard for steering Jesse his way.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:30pm

"Are you ready to take your written and road tests for your license, Jesse?" Eve asked as they washed and dried the dinner dishes.

"Yes, Ma'am!" he said smartly.

"Good. I've got some time tomorrow, so why don't we get that done tomorrow morning when the Motor Vehicle Branch won't be so busy?"

"Great. I've been making sure I know all about the controls on your car, so I don't think I'll get tripped up there. Not much has changed since I took the test originally. I'm pretty sure I'll be okay as long as I don't get too nervous with the examiner in the car during the road test. That almost got me the first time ... back when."

"Once you have your license it will give you some extra freedom. There will be restrictions on your license however. I hope you remember them."

"Yeah, I'm going to have to have that "L" learner tag in the back window for a year and I can't have any violations if I want to get the "N" novice tag. Boy, they really are tough on your getting a license now," he complained.

"They are, but it's because the accident and fatality rate for young people under twenty-five is so much higher than for adults. Every weekend you hear about teenagers and other young people being killed or badly injured in car accidents. Driving too fast, drinking, doing stupid things with others in the car. That's why your insurance costs are so much higher. It's something to be aware of all the time, Jesse."

He nodded. "I guess it was the same for me back when ... but I didn't think much about it. But I know what you're talking about. A guy I knew at school killed himself during lunch hour one day when he was in a hurry to get to the village to get something. He lost control and hit a tree. They didn't have seat belts or air bags back then. He never had a chance. Don't worry, I know what can happen if I do something stupid."

"Good. That's all I worry about," Eve said.

"Gee, Eve, you sound just like my Mom," Jesse said seriously.

"I guess I do," she smiled, wondering if she hadn't taken on that role.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:05 am

Kirsten was surprised to see Jesse hard at work on the stationary bike when she entered the exercise room. He must have started very early that morning, she thought.

She smiled as she passed him. "You are early this morning."

"Yeah. Eve is taking me to do my driver's test this morning. I'm hoping it goes well. I'm not worried about the written test, but I don't know what to expect from the driving test."

"Don't worry. They do not try to trick you," she said. "Just the ordinary things like signalling and checking your mirrors and not speeding and so on."

"Don't forget parallel parking," Jesse noted.

"Yes ... that too. Are you worried?" she wondered.

"No ... I guess not. I've done all that before, so it won't be new," he said, realizing he might have said too much.

Kirsten stripped off her sweatshirt and began her usual stretching exercises. It wasn't an accident that she did this in front of Jesse, rather than behind him and out of his line of sight. The more she saw of him, the more interested she was. He was just what Eve had said. He was polite and never said anything that was rude or inappropriate. It didn't matter to her that he was a year younger than she. If she was going to have a friendly relationship with a male, it would be someone like Jesse Peterson. The question was, could she bring herself to begin that relationship?

Eve suggested that she would have to initiate "first contact" rather than wait for Jesse. He was shy, she said, and likely wouldn't make the first move. If she wanted to test out how she would feel developing a friendship with him, it would be up to her to make it happen. Kirsten's only worry was her own reluctance to make that first move.

"When do you start university?" Jesse asked as they pedalled side-by-side.

"I must get my books next week, but the courses do not start until two days after Labour Day. What are you going to do about school?"

"Well, I'll be taking some courses online and trying to catch up to what I need to know to qualify for college. I don't know if it will be UBC or one of the community colleges. It depends on how far behind I am," he explained.

"Eve says you are very smart and you should have no trouble with university."

"Eve's my biggest cheerleader. I hope she's right. I really don't know what to expect ... what with my memory being so messed up."

"Is any of it coming back to you?"

He shook his head. "No ... not much so far." Jesse was uneasy with this line of questioning.

"Don't worry," she smiled, "If Eve says you can do it, then I am sure you can."

Jesse turned his head and smiled at her. It was the first genuine conversation they had enjoyed since they first met.

~*~

"Congratulations, Jesse," Eve smiled. "You now have your driver's license. I take it you didn't have any problems with the road test?"

"No ... none. It wasn't anywhere near as difficult as it might have been. Your car is so easy to drive and manoeuvre. I nailed the parallel parking test in one shot, two inches from the curb," he grinned.

"Good for you. I'll make sure the "L" card is in the back window and you can use the car when you need it if I'm around. In the meantime, I'll be driving up to Whistler on Saturday to make sure everything is okay at the lodge. Why don't you come with me?"

"Yeah ... sure. I have a ball game on Sunday, so as long as I'm back for that ... that sounds interesting."

"Okay. The Biranis are taking Tony, his brother, and Mica to the PNE," she said. "It starts this weekend and the forecast looks like sunny, warm weather."

Jesse thought of all the times he had been to the Pacific National Exhibition. For whatever reason he had little enthusiasm to go this time.

"When do you want to leave?"

"Oh ... sometime after nine. There shouldn't be too much traffic. You should ask Kirsten if she'd like to go with us. Her parents have a condo not far from our lodge. She might want to check it out to make sure everything there is okay as well."

Jesse looked surprised, then a bit unsure before he answered. "Okay ... I can do that. She might have a hockey practice, but I'll ask her," he said, overcoming his uncertainty to take advantage of the opportunity.

Eve hid her smile as she saw the indecision, then the choice to do as she suggested. If she could kick-start a friendship between the two, it would help both of them. She only hoped Kirsten would agree. She had another motive besides getting the two of them together.

Friday, August 26, 2011, 7:00 am

"Good morning," Kirsten said brightly as she entered the exercise room.

Jesse was just taking off his new warm-up jacket as she came in. Again, she made a show of taking off her sweatshirt and doing her stretching exercises.

Jesse couldn't resist watching. It never occurred to him that this was all being done on purpose by her. On the other hand, she'd been much more friendly and talkative lately. That was a good sign.

"Did you get your driver's license?" she asked as she mounted the bike.

"Yes. No problem at all. It was a big relief."

"Good for you," she smiled.

"Kirsten, Eve and I are going to Whistler tomorrow," Jesse began a bit uncertainly. "She wants to check out the lodge and make sure everything is okay. She was wondering if you'd like to come along with us. I understand you have a place there too."

"Oh. I had not thought of that. Uhhm ... yes, I think I can. When would she like to go?"

"Is nine o'clock too early?" he asked nervously.

She laughed. "Look at the clock, Jesse. Does it look like nine is too early?"

Her laugh and pointed comment took a great deal of pressure off Jesse at that moment. He began to relax in her company, something that he usually found difficult to do.

"Okay ... well ... I'll let Eve know," he said, relieved. "It looks like the weather will be nice ... and I've never been to Whistler before, so it will be all new to me."

"Is Mica going too?" she asked.

"No ... he and Tony and Tony's family are going to the PNE. I'm sure it will be a lot more fun for them than a drive to Whistler."

"Oh, a nice drive over the Sea-to-Sky highway on a sunny day is very pleasant," she teased.

"I'm sure I'll enjoy it," he confirmed, realizing he was going to be in her company for almost a full day. This was getting better and better, he thought.

~*~

"Is Kirsten going to come with us?" Eve asked as Jesse returned to the apartment from the exercise room.

"Yes. She said it would be a nice day to drive up there."

"Good, we can use the company," Eve said, again suppressing a smile at how easily she put the two young people together. Perhaps a day in each other's company may get them more interested in being closer friends. She felt a bit Machiavellian, plotting to see if there was the possibility of them becoming close. Kirsten needed to overcome her fear of male friendship, and Jesse needed someone to give him another reason to carry on in this new world he was dropped into.

Chapter 9 The Sly Shrink

Saturday, August 27, 2011, 10:10 am

"It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day," Eve commented as they cruised along the Stanley Park Causeway toward the Lion's Gate Bridge and the highway to Whistler.

Kirsten was sitting beside Eve in the front, while Jesse sat behind Eve, giving himself a good view of Kirsten. He was tense, anticipating how this day would go. He really wanted to get closer to Kirsten, and this was the best opportunity he was likely to get.

Interestingly, Kirsten was thinking along similar lines. A day with Jesse might tell her more about him. Eve assured her that she could trust him, but Kirsten was still battling demons from the past, and it wasn't going to be easy to overcome them. On the other hand, Jesse was acting the way she hoped he would. Mind you, his surrogate mother was with him, so it was unlikely he would do or say anything out of line. Eve's presence was the main reason she felt confident enough to agree to come with them today.

Eve, on the other hand, had her own plan to put them together. A quick phone call to Anika Gustafson had provided the answer to an important question. Anika was completely on board with Eve's plot. Now, to make it happen.

Both Eve and Kirsten were pointing out places of interest to Jesse. He had never been further than Squamish, in the past, a mill town at the head of Howe Sound, and it hadn't been the nicest place to visit, nor the easiest highway to travel. However, as he marvelled at the newly improved highway and all the new homes along the way, he could see that the changes he saw in Vancouver were just as dramatic along this road. With the added benefit of a beautiful sunny day, it was a much more pleasant drive than he expected.

The road to Whistler wound northward out of Squamish though the forest and along the Squamish River, allowing glimpses of the nearby mountains. It wasn't until they approached their destination that Jesse caught first sight of Whistler and the surrounding area. It seemed like it had been plucked out of the Swiss Alps and dropped into the wilderness of B.C. as if by magic. It completely surprised him.

coaster2
coaster2
2,600 Followers