Life on Another Planet Ch. 06-09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Mikeska lodge was on the south entrance to the town, across from a golf course. When Eve pulled into the driveway and moved up toward the lodge, Jesse was dumbstruck. It was a palace in log and stone, the likes of which he had never seen. Eve drove into the driveway past the building to a three car garage, pushing another button on her sun visor. The middle door opened revealing two open spaces and a large dark coloured vehicle.

"Is someone already here?" Jesse asked.

"No. The Toyota stays here year around, but we're going to make an exception to that today. It seldom gets used at all except at Christmas and New Years. But I have a space for it at the apartment, so we'll take it back to Vancouver with us and you can use it until we come back here in December."

"Really?" Once again, Jesse was shocked at what he was being told. "What is it?" he wondered aloud.

"It's a Toyota Land Cruiser. It's about ten years old and has a lot of kilometres on it, but it runs well and gives us no trouble. It was another thing that my father bought for a distressed price, along with this lodge."

They began to climb out of the Subaru and move toward the back door. Jesse, however, moved to the Toyota to inspect it. It was big, and looked in very good condition. It had leather seats and power windows and all the fancy trim anyone could ask for. If he was allowed to use this, he would be delighted beyond words. He turned and hurried back to the lodge to catch up to Kirsten and Eve.

As they entered the home, Jesse passed through the small anteroom that led into a kitchen that was huge and equipped with every possible modern appliance. Although the outside of the building was log and stone, the inside walls were smooth like plaster, while the ceilings were cedar decking. The kitchen had at least a nine-foot ceiling, but when he entered the dining area, he estimated the ceiling expanded upward to at nearly twenty feet at its peak.

"This is amazing. Did your father have this built?" he wondered.

"No. It was originally designed and built by a dot.com millionaire. When the market crashed in 2008, he had to sell it and since he lived in San Diego, he was happy to get rid of it at a bargain price to my father. The Toyota was part of the package."

"Look at that window," he said in awe as the gazed at the floor to peaked ceiling window wall in the main room, and the view beyond.

"We were grateful that he installed thermal windows to avoid heat loss in the winter and keep the temperature down in summer," Eve explained. "Otherwise, our heating bill would be enormous."

Jesse was wise enough not to question the "dot.com" or "thermal window" comment. He could ask about it with Eve when they were alone.

Kirsten was smiling at the exchange between Eve and Jesse. She had been in this lodge before and had been just as awestruck as Jesse was.

"There are two bedrooms and two bathrooms on the main floor, and three bedrooms and two bathrooms on the loft floor," Eve said pointing to a hallway and then the stairs up to the large loft at the rear of the lodge.

"Five bedrooms," Jesse said, shaking his head. "The other owner must have had a big family."

"Actually, there was just he and his wife," Eve noted. "But I hear they used to entertain quite regularly and threw some pretty wild parties if the stories are true."

"I can tell you've been here before, Kirsten," Jesse said.

"Yes, my parents and Eve and her parents are good friends, so we get together when we're both in Whistler, though our parties are not very wild," she grinned.

"Where is your place?" Jesse asked.

"Why don't I put a lunch together first, then you can take Jesse to your place, Kirsten?" Eve suggested.

"Of course. I am hungry," she admitted. "We can walk to our place, Jesse. It's not far."

~*~

"It's really nice here. Where is the main part of town?" he asked as they strolled down a connecting street past numerous townhouses and the occasional chalet.

She pointed to the right. "Just over there. We can come back that way and you will get to see it then. There is always something happening, even at this time of the year."

"Do you come here often?" Jesse asked her.

"No ... not really. Both my parents work at the store and unless they take a vacation, they do not get an opportunity to get away on the weekend. I am playing hooky today ... with their permission. Working at the store is my part time job."

"Do your parents have help that can run the store when they aren't there?"

"Yes, fortunately. They have a reliable manager and a good staff, so they are not trapped at the business every day. I think father could let his manager run the shop without him, but he needs something to do and the business gives him that. When they need a break, they can take time during the week when it is not so busy. Many people come to the store on the weekend because they know him or about him. He brings in business because of his past career."

"I have only met your father to say hello, but I thought your mother was very nice. She and Eve seemed to be very friendly."

"Yes ... they are good friends. You will like my father too when you get to know him," she assured him.

The Gustafson's condominium was very nice and modern, although not nearly as big as the Mikeska lodge.

"This is nice, Kirsten. Not so big that you would have to spend a lot of time keeping it clean."

"Yes, it is the right size for us. The Mikeskas have to hire people to come in and take care of their lodge, even in the summer. But I must admit, the lodge is very beautiful."

"It is. But it seems so empty with just two or three people living there. It's almost a mansion," he suggested.

Kirsten laughed. "There are many places like that, not just here in Whistler, but in many ski areas in North America. So many rich people who can afford such a place."

"Yes," Jesse agreed. "This is like Disneyland for the wealthy. It doesn't seem real somehow."

"My father was very fortunate to play hockey in North America. He was paid a lot of money, but he was very careful with it. Not all the players are so wise."

"You know, I can hear a bit of an accent in your voice and your speech pattern. How long has it been since you left Sweden?"

"I was five when we moved to Detroit. I spoke only Swedish, so I had to learn English. My father and mother had some English already because of their travels and my father's hockey career. I had a tutor for my first two years, so I did not start school until I was seven years old. Over the years, my accent has lessened I suppose. I do not think about it much. I can still speak Swedish, but not as easily as I can speak English now."

"I like the sound of your accent," he said with a smile.

As they neared the center of the village, the crowds of tourists and locals increased and they passed a number of people on the sidewalk as they strolled side by side. As they neared the town center they were approached by three noisy young men who had obviously been drinking. Kirsten reached for Jesse's hand and held it tightly. It surprised him, but he could tell immediately she was nervous, likely because of the behaviour and language of the trio.

As they got closer, one of the three spoke up. "Hey Blondie, why don't you come with us and party? We're more way more fun than your asshole boyfriend."

Jesse felt her grip tighten even further and her shoulder was pressed against his. She was clearly frightened.

"Watch your language," Jesse warned.

"Oh, shit, the boy hero has spoken," one of them stopped, posturing aggressively. "Whatcha gonna do about it, shithead?"

Jesse knew his blood pressure was rising rapidly and sizing up the twenty-something year old drunks, knew he would be in trouble unless he dealt with them quickly. He wasn't going to let them harass Kirsten.

"If you want to find out, just keep bothering us," he challenged.

"Come, Jesse," Kirsten said nervously tugging at his hand. "You do not want a fight here in the street."

"Don't worry, Kirsten, they're not going to start a fight they can't finish."

"Hah!" the lead drunk spat, weaving slightly as he advanced toward the two.

He was almost within reach of Kirsten when Jesse took a step forward and without warning or preamble, delivered a solid kick between the legs of the first man. The drunk went down in a heap, while Jesse turned and without hesitation, used a soccer style kick to the outside of the knee of the second man. He fell, his voice screaming his pain. The first man was now retching, still on the ground. The third man, having seen the swift and decisive blows Jesse had delivered, held up his hands in a defensive posture.

"Hey, lighten up, man. We weren't gunna do nothing," he said, his eyes wide while he backed away from Jesse. The look on Jesse's face was enough to discourage the man while his friends were still on the ground in pain.

"Come on, Kirsten. We're done here," Jesse said as he took her arm and led her away from the altercation. He looked back over his shoulder a couple of times, but the drunks were still on the ground and looking around unsteadily, needing help to get up. There was no indication they wished to continue the altercation.

They walked silently, Kirsten still in shock over the rapid way Jesse had dealt with the three. She remembered the look on Jesse's face just before he kicked the first man. I was pure malevolence. She knew almost immediately that he was going to do something.

"How did you do that?" she asked, still shaken at how quickly the encounter was ended.

"Something my father taught me a long time ago," he said more calmly than he felt. "He told me that when faced with bad odds, the first strike had to be a disabling strike. I've never had to use that advice before today. I'm glad I remembered it."

"I am glad too," Kirsten said. "They scared me. What are they doing so drunk in the middle of the day?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry if they scared you."

"I am glad you were with me," she said, now holding Jesse's hand firmly.

"I'm glad I was too," he agreed, noticing the worried look she gave him. "Let's head back to the lodge."

~*~

"And Jesse was going to have to fight them if they did not leave me alone," Kirsten said as she relayed the story of their encounter in the village.

"Good for you, Jesse," Eve said. "I don't approve of fighting, but in those circumstances, it must have been necessary."

"Yeah, they weren't going to get their hands on Kirsten without going through me first, and I had no intention of sticking to Marquis of Queensbury rules. My Dad always told me that when you're in a fight and outnumbered, the first thing is to disable as many of the opponents as you can right away. Take the first shot. A good kick in the crotch is a good way to slow most guys down. Those three were drunk, so any kind of hit to the stomach might have made them very ill."

"I'm just sorry it was necessary," Eve said, turning away. "Are you alright, Kirsten."

She nodded. "Yes, I was frightened, but Jesse got me away from them. I am very happy he was with me. I do not know what I would have done if they had grabbed me."

"The only thing you could have done was to scream at the top of your voice and run," Jesse said with Eve's agreement. "Someone would have come to your assistance."

"I am thankful I did not have to do that," Kirsten said.

"Looks like it's time for us to leave if we want to get back to the city in time for dinner. I've got something in the oven for us, so will you join us, Kirsten?"

"Oh, thank you," Kirsten smiled tentatively. "My parents are going out with friends tonight, so I was not looking forward to eating alone. Thank you for thinking of me."

"You're welcome, but I do have a favour to ask. I want to take the Toyota back to the city with us, so I need Jesse or you to drive it. Do you feel confident you can drive it, Jesse?"

"Yes, I think so. It is an automatic, isn't it?" he asked.

"Yes. Kirsten is a fully licensed driver who has passed her Novice period. She can accompany you ... or drive if you're not comfortable with the idea."

"No ... I'd like to get the experience if I may. Are you alright with that, Kirsten?" he asked.

"Yes ... Eve tells me you are a good driver, so I am satisfied with being your navigator," she nodded.

Jesse was happy to see the brief smile and felt the young woman was getting over the unfortunate episode in the village.

"Okay then. I guess we can go any time," Eve said. "I'll lock up the lodge and you and Kirsten can get underway. Here are the Toyota keys and the remote for the parking area. See you back at the apartment. Drive safely, Jesse."

"Yes, Ma'am," he smiled at the once familiar words of his mother. She had never failed to say that when he borrowed one of the family cars.

~*~

"Are you okay with me driving?" he asked Kirsten as they left the lodge and headed for the highway.

"Eve says you are a good driver, so I trust you because I trust her."

"Oh ... okay." He couldn't tell her that he'd driven many miles in both his parents' cars in his past life and considered himself a good driver; no accidents and no tickets. His mother's almost new Ford Falcon (which he hated) and his father's Austin Healey 3000 (which he loved), were his two options. The Healey was a real chick magnet. Was that the draw that attracted Juliet Crouse? Perhaps that was an early sign that she was attracted to the gloss and not the substance of Jesse Peterson.

They rode in silence for a few minutes as they headed south on the highway. It was Kirsten who finally broke the silence.

"Thank you for being there, Jesse," she said quietly, not looking at him.

It took him a minute to process the comment before he understood.

"You're welcome," he said, casting a quick glance at her. "I could tell you were upset and frightened about the three guys. To be honest, I wasn't sure myself what they might do. As it turned out, they didn't get a chance to get a hand on you. That was my main objective."

The silence resumed for a few minutes more until she spoke once again.

"Something happened to me a few years ago. It is why I am seeing Eve ... Doctor Mikeska."

She didn't elaborate, but Jesse began to guess it involved men or boys and her. He realized her grip on his hand was a sign of fear and that put all kinds of scenarios in his mind. But ... there was nothing he could say. He knew if he tried to probe she would likely clam up. He wanted the opposite. He wanted her to trust him to the point she would share her thoughts with him. The urge to ask was strong, but he pushed it down like he had so many other uncomfortable questions in the past six weeks.

"Are you okay with my driving?" he asked, just to get her to say something.

"Yes ... I am okay with it. Why did you ask?"

He shrugged. "I just wondered if you might be nervous since I'm a new driver."

She shook her head, something Jesse picked up out of the corner of his eye.

"No ... you do not drive like a new driver. Eve told me you would be safe to be with."

"Yeah," Jesse sighed in frustration. "That's me ... 'safe Jesse.'"

The silence resumed again for a few more minutes as they navigated their way through the town of Squamish.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" she asked as they resumed their drive south.

"No, not any more." He didn't offer any explanation. "What about you?"

"No, I do not have a girlfriend either," she said with a smirk and a quick look at him.

Jesse couldn't resist a snorted laugh. "You know that's not what I meant."

This time, Kirsten laughed. "I know. I just wanted to see if you were listening. Also, you did not offer very much information about your former girlfriend."

"What would you like to know? She dumped me for the quarterback on our high school football team. She figured he was a move up in social status over a baseball player."

"What was she like? Did you have sex with her?" she asked bluntly.

"Hey! That's personal. I wouldn't ask you that question."

"I am beginning to wonder if you would ask me any question at all. You appear to be very nervous when you are around me," she noted.

"Am I? I guess I'm being careful. I don't know you and I assumed you'd have a dozen boys hanging around you looking for dates."

"A dozen?" she snorted. "Maybe one or two, but I do not have a boyfriend and I am very care ... particular ... about who I date."

Jesse caught the near confession in her comment. Again he resisted the inclination to probe further.

"Juliet was good looking, but she was a snob and a social climber. I put up with it because she was willing to be my girlfriend. I didn't ever think I would be serious about someone like her, but she was nice to have as a date," he explained.

"So, you had sex with her and then she decided she could do better, is that so?" Kirsten persisted.

"Kirsten, you are making me very uncomfortable. Yes, I had sex with Juliet, and no, it wasn't very good. I think I knew at the time she was just using me until she found someone better. It took her almost a whole school year, but she found him."

"I am sorry," she said, now turning toward him. "I should not have pushed you into that. It is a very personal thing. I apologize."

"Apology accepted," he nodded. "I can imagine the pressure on you. You are very beautiful and I'm sure every guy would have designs on getting to know you in a very personal way."

She didn't respond and the silence resumed once more.

As they neared Horseshoe Bay, Jesse had finally summoned up the courage to ask the question he most wanted to know the answer to.

"Kirsten, if I asked you for a date, would you be interested?" It was awkwardly phrased and not very compelling, but he wanted to know her answer.

The silence resumed and Jesse assumed she was either ignoring him, or trying to think of a polite way to turn him down. He didn't press her for an answer until:

"What kind of a date?" she asked, again turning toward him.

Jesse shrugged. "I don't know a lot about you, so we could talk about the things you might be interested in doing and decide."

"What kind of things?" she asked bluntly.

"A movie, a play, a ball game, dinner at a nice restaurant. Those kinds of things."

"What kind of ball game?" she asked.

"Well, I now have a friend on the B.C. Lions and he can get me some pretty good tickets. Or we could go to a baseball game at Capilano Stadium."

"You play baseball. Would you not rather go to see that game?" she asked.

He shook his head. "I'm more interested in what you would like to do."

She sat silently for a few moments before turning to him. "I think the weather is too nice to be indoors. I choose the baseball game."

"Great!" Jesse enthused. It wasn't just the baseball game that excited him. He now had a date with Kirsten Gustafson, far and away the most beautiful girl he'd ever known.

Jesse was almost bouncing in his seat as they drove the last few kilometres to the apartment building. As they approached the underground garage, he pressed the button on the remote to open the gate, then followed Eve's instructions to the lower level and her second numbered parking slot.

As they exited the elevator, Kirsten said she was going to change before she came to the apartment for dinner. Jesse reminded her that it would just be the three of them with the boys still at the PNE. He was still celebrating his good luck at landing a proper date with the blonde beauty. He hadn't felt this good since he'd awoken in the hospital and he didn't want it to end. Indeed, this was a red letter day.

To Be Continued