Life on Another Planet Ch. 10-13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She stood there, looking at him with her penetrating stare. Was he lying, or was he telling the truth? She really couldn't tell. Perhaps a conversation with this Eve person might be useful.

"Okay, Jesse. I won't bug you about it. I like who you are and I'm happy that we can spend some time together before I have to leave. Why don't we date on the weekends and get to know each other better?"

He nodded. "Okay ... that sounds sensible. I do want to see you again. I think we can be good together. I got that feeling last night that I didn't disappoint you."

"Oh, no," she smiled broadly, "you definitely didn't disappoint me. And I think you're right. We can be good together. Let's see how it goes, okay?"

"Sure," he smiled, kissing her lightly.

~*~

Jesse got a curious look from Eve when he returned to the apartment late that Sunday morning. He had called earlier the previous evening to let her know that he was staying with "a friend" overnight. It surprised her, knowing he had a date with a young woman that he had helped with her paper.

"How was your date?" she asked with a knowing smile.

"Uhhm ... great. Uhhm ... are you upset with me?" he asked, trying to interpret how she felt about him staying overnight with Sue.

"No ... of course not. Jesse, you're an adult and you've never given me any reason to doubt your judgement. Now ... did you have a good time?"

"Yeah. Sue and I ... we're ... close. I guess you've figured that out. It's not like forever, of course. She's moving to Victoria in a few months ... but until then, we're going to date and see how it goes."

"Good for you, Jesse. I take it she's a nice young woman?"

"Yeah. Uhhm, does it bother you that she's Chinese?"

"No, of course not. Does her family approve?"

"Well, all I can go by is how nice they were to me when I was invited to dinner, so I guess that they don't disapprove. I sent Mrs. Chen a card apologizing for my problems that night. I get the feeling that Sue is pretty independent. She didn't say anything, but the fact that I stayed overnight in her apartment didn't seem to bother anyone."

"I thought she lived at home?"

"Oh yeah, well, she has her own place above the big garage. It's like a private apartment. She lives there and studies there."

"Oh ... that's quite convenient for you then," Eve smiled.

"I'm sure my being there was no secret. I guess I'll find out when I see Mr. or Mrs. Chen next."

"Yes," Eve chuckled. "I guess you will."

Chapter 13 Sue Interrupted

Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 11:15pm

Jesse and Sue were lying together in her bed having made love just as they had each Saturday evening for the past six weeks. They had become very comfortable with each other. Jesse was realistic and knew he wasn't in love with the lovely young lady, but she was a wonderful partner in bed and a delight to be with at any time. He had managed to accept a second invitation to dinner at the Chens two weeks earlier and this time, all had gone well. He did not suffer a reoccurrence of his fainting spell, although the memories that brought it on were still with him. It was a personal test he knew he had to pass, and in doing so, his success relieved a great deal of pressure.

Monday, December 5, 2011 4pm

"You did it! You did it, Jesse! I got a top mark ... a 93. I've never got one that high before," she cried in glee.

Grant chuckled at the enthusiasm and happiness of the young woman, while Jesse beamed with pride at her accomplishment.

Sue had talked about testing out early for her BSc and was looking at whether she was ready or not. His help with her English Lit paper brought her a very high mark and some complimentary notes from her professor. She beamed with delight and excitement at the paper, unable to wait to show Jesse. She met him late one afternoon at the store and danced around him and Grant, waving the marked paper in front of them.

"I didn't do it, Sue ... you did," he said, still smiling at her happiness. "You wrote the paper. I just fixed the typos."

"Oh no, Mister Peterson. You did much more than that. You convinced me to pare it down and cut out the unnecessary duplication. That was one of the reasons I got such a high mark. Professor Thomas said I avoided using words to fill spaces. She said it was economical and to the point. That's what you did for me."

"Well, I'm glad it turned out well for you. Congratulations, Sue," Jesse smiled.

"There's only one problem I wanted to talk to both of you about," she added in a serious tone. "I might be able to begin my master's program in January. I've applied to UVic for acceptance based on my current marks. There's a good chance I'll be granted enrolment, but I won't know until nearly Christmas time. I hope that doesn't cause either of you a problem. I'll still be here for the Christmas to New Year period."

Jesse looked at Grant. "I was planning on asking for a week at Christmas if it wasn't going to cause you a problem, Grant. I've been invited to Whistler for that week by my landlady."

"Oh ... Eve's your landlady now, is she?" Sue giggled.

"I don't know what to call her," Jesse admitted. "She acts a bit like my mother, but she's not."

"Don't worry about it, Jesse," Sue said. "I'll be happy to cover for you that week. That okay with you, Grant?"

"That will be fine. That week isn't terribly busy anyway. Usually just the odd return," he assured her.

"Thanks, Sue ... and you too, Grant. I'll be ready for a break by then."

Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:15pm

"You really got a surprise tonight, didn't you," Sue stated as they lay in her bed.

"More than you realize," Jesse agreed. "I had no idea you and Eve had conspired to put on that birthday party for me, even if it was a day early."

"I thought you would want a day to recover since you had more than a couple of glasses of wine," she teased.

"Yeah ... that was a first. I think that water you suggested I drink helped. At least I don't have a headache."

"Your official birthday is only a few minutes away and I have an idea of how to celebrate it," she smirked.

"If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then I'll be a very happy birthday boy," he grinned. He was appropriately wearing his "birthday suit."

What he couldn't tell anyone was that Eve had given him a very special private gift that caught him completely by surprise. Somehow, she had obtained a copy of Jesse's 1960-61 high school yearbook. It was new and unsigned by anyone, but Jesse prized it as the most significant gift he had ever received. A quick look confirmed his picture was as he remembered it on page 38, among the other 300 graduates that year. There were also several pictures of him playing baseball. Of course, he couldn't tell anyone about it but it would bring back a lot of happy memories. When he had the time, he would go through it page by page and reminisce about happier times gone by.

Jesse had made significant progress in his studies, trying to catch up to where he should be as a high school graduate in the early twenty-first century. He had three subjects that presented the largest challenges. History, particularly in the past fifty years, science and the multitude of discoveries and developments in that half century, and mathematics, which had pushed him further into university level courses than he expected.

He was persistent, however, and with Sue and Eve's help, he gradually began to catch up. History was the most fascinating subject of the three. The Vietnam War, the Arab Israeli conflicts, the emerging power of China and India, the declining power of Russia, and the intrusive foreign policy that ebbed and flowed in the United States. He was surprised that the US was vulnerable to attack, but when he read about the guerrilla-like actions of Arab and other terrorist organizations, he could see how no major power was really equipped to deal with this type of unpredictable attack.

A new leader in Russia was attempting to restore that country to its previous powerful state, but so far it was a shadow of its former self. Gone were several of the states that it controlled outside its borders, along with several that were inside. Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia had broken up into separate entities and were now developing democracies. South Africa had shucked off apartheid and its leadership was now native African. Spain had escaped from Franco's dictatorship and was now a modern democratic state. The changes were mind-boggling to Jesse. It was as if the world had been made anew in just a half-century.

He was very careful about asking Sue for help, knowing that he had to keep his questions logical for someone who had memory loss. Eve was the most helpful, of course. She knew where to get answers and not arouse suspicion. As far as history was concerned, Jesse didn't really need any help that he couldn't find on the Internet. Eve's strength was in science and she was a big assist in tying together basic development with the resulting technology. Jesse was fascinated with micro-surgery as practiced now. Eve's father's development was particularly amazing, but then, when he saw the kinds of photographs that could be taken by his cell phone, it gave him some idea of just how far miniaturization had come. The touch screens were equally fascinating. The digital age almost overwhelmed him.

Over the months, Jesse had been collecting car magazines. What interested him the most were the vintage sports and grand prix car races that were now common in North America and Europe. They brought back fond memories, even though he didn't recognize all of the vehicles.

For his birthday, Eve had given him a subscription to Vintage Motorsport magazine. It not only featured the various races and concours events, but the history of a number of famous cars that were active in the '50s, '60s, and '70s. He had cut out a picture of an Austin Healey 3000 that was the same colour as his father's car and pinned to the wall in his bedroom. The car was still stylish and sleek in appearance more than fifty years later. He wondered if he'd ever be able to own a car like that.

As he lay that evening with Sue, he thought about the coming months and the next year. Sue would be gone and he would be on his own once again. She had taught him how to please her and he was incredibly grateful for the experience. He liked Sue a lot as a friend and lover, but he knew they weren't going to be together permanently. She assured him that he was a very attentive lover and would undoubtedly please any woman he chose to be with. Her words gave him a great sense of satisfaction and confidence. He was catching up with his contemporaries.

~*~

With money in his pocket and some time to spend, he began shopping for Christmas presents. He included Sue and Kirsten on his list, but Kirsten's would be a small token. They were friends but with the hockey season in full swing, they saw each other infrequently. Kirsten would be playing steadily from mid-September through to the third week of March, not including the December break for exams, and the spring playoffs if they made it that far. Their travel would include all three Prairie Provinces as well as Ontario and Quebec. It was a gruelling 45 game schedule with the month of December the only open time.

Even now, Jesse could see the toll it was taking on Kirsten as she tried to combine her hockey with studying for mid-term exams. She had reduced her exercise and fitness program and dedicated herself to passing her exams. She would resume her hockey the second week of January. He had thought of inviting her to his birthday party, but thought it might be awkward with Sue there. He hoped she didn't feel slighted and discussed his concerns with Eve.

"Don't worry about it, Jesse. I understand the problem and it's not like you two have been dating lately. Perhaps in January or when her season ends you might try to see if she's interested. I know she thinks highly of you."

"Yeah ... I guess that makes sense. She looks pretty busy right now, so even the Christmas break is only going to be a couple of weeks for her after exams."

"She'll be in Whistler for those two weeks, so you can get together with her then," Eve suggested. "We always invite the Gustafsons to dinner at least once while we are there. My father and Tomas get along very well, as do my mother and Anika. I'm sure Kirsten would be happy to have someone of her own age to ski with."

"Okay, that's what I'll do then. Thanks, Eve," he smiled.

~*~

With Sue bound for Victoria in the next few days, Jesse was facing the fact that he would be without a weekend date once more. He had become used to the idea that they would have sex each time and he knew that he was going to miss that part of their relationship more than anything. The only other potential girlfriend on the horizon was Kirsten.

Jesse had lusted after Kirsten from his quick glimpse of her the first morning he awoke in Eve's apartment. At first he thought she was untouchable; too beautiful and desirable to be interested in some teenager like him. That was especially true when he considered his circumstances and his inability to reveal the truth about himself. But over time he realized they had at least become friends, if not close. He knew she, like he, held some secret that she could not share.

Jesse despaired that he might never be able to tell anyone about his past. Could he hold his secret for the rest of his life? It seemed impossible, but it also seemed imperative that he do so. Who would believe him? Eve was the exception, but even she was at a loss to understand what had happened to him. How would he ever form a permanent relationship with anyone and not reveal the truth?

He was pleased that he and Kirsten would be together in Whistler over Christmas. In addition, she would probably be around the apartment or Number 5 Sports during December. He could probably dream up a reason to visit the store. He had purchased all his ski equipment during the September sale, but there was always something he could find to buy or to discuss with her. The incident in Whistler this past summer was the beginning of her willingness to relax around him and, as time progressed, they had become quite friendly. She had even agreed to a date with him at the ballgame.

The question in his mind was how to move their friendship forward. She was so involved with hockey that getting a date with her was a challenge. When she wasn't away for a road game, she was studying or preparing for a home game. It really didn't allow her much free time. The Christmas/New Years break was his most likely opportunity.

What pushed his plan forward was her work schedule at Number 5. Her parents were heading to Whistler on Friday, December 23rd. The store would be open, but the assistant manager would handle things that day, giving the Gustafsons at little extra time for a break during the busy season. Sue had volunteered to cover Jesse's shift that day, so he was free to travel Friday as well.

Since Eve's parents had taken the Toyota back to their lodge when they arrived on the previous Saturday, Jesse would need a ride. He would be welcome to travel with Eve and Mica, but he was wondering if he could catch a ride with Kirsten and her parents. Unfortunately, the timing didn't work and he was stuck with the original plan to travel with Eve and Mica. It wasn't a terrible letdown, but he had hoped that it might have happened.

Friday, December 23, 2011 9am

"I wish Tony could have come with us, Mom." Mica was bored already with the drive to Whistler and they hadn't even left Vancouver.

"Tony is going to be with his family, Mica," Eve explained patiently. "He couldn't just leave them. His grandparents are coming too. It wouldn't be a nice Christmas for him if he wasn't with his family."

"Yeah ... I guess," Mica said, his eyes fixed on his tablet.

Jesse was sitting beside Eve in front, while Mica had the back seat to himself. He objected at first, but again, Eve was patient with him and suggested he would have a lot more room for himself in the back. That seemed to quell the objection. After almost six months, Mica had come to accept Jesse as a "big brother" figure in the household. At least Jesse could teach him and Tony baseball and other stuff older kids had learned.

The trip to Whistler was uneventful, although the traffic was a good deal heavier, and some of the drivers were taking unnecessary risks on the wet pavement. The day had dawned cold and rainy in the city, but Eve knew the rain would turn to snow as they neared their destination. In November she had equipped the Subaru with proper winter tires retrieved from her basement locker. She hadn't had a problem before and didn't expect to have one this morning.

Jesse was lost in his thoughts. Sue was leaving, and that left a big hole in his love-life, short as it had been. He admitted to himself that he lusted after Kirsten, but she was even more difficult to capture. Between hockey, her studies, and her nervousness around males ... his company seemingly the exception ... she wasn't going to fall into his arms in the near future.

Perhaps this short vacation might allow him to get closer to the beautiful young woman. He wondered what it would take to break down the barriers that she constructed around herself. They had made good progress when they were in Whistler earlier that fall, but since then ... nothing. No dates in the last two months. Perhaps she was upset that he had been dating Sue, although he couldn't figure out how she would know.

Eve was equally absorbed in her thoughts. Jesse had been a reminder that there was no man in her life, and hadn't been one for almost two years. Kent had been the last of a short list of suitors. He was a helicopter ambulance pilot, and as a consequence, was on call at unpredictable times. When they reassigned him to Kelowna, the relationship dwindled and died. While he wasn't the love of her life, he was a nice, personal companion with some pleasant side benefits. She wondered when she was going to find a life partner ... if ever. The hospital was "out of bounds" under any circumstances. Besides, the life of a surgeon was no less unpredictable. There didn't seem to be any likely candidates on the horizon, much to her frustration.

They arrived in Whistler just before noon, having been stopped by a traffic accident on the highway between Squamish and the resort town. It was an all too familiar sight on this highway. Someone had been travelling too fast for the conditions as the rain turned to snow. They could barely see the SUV upside down below the highway, with police cars and an ambulance already on the scene. It added over half an hour to their drive. Mica was fascinated by it, briefly putting a stop to his complaints about not moving very fast. Jesse just smiled and remembered his own impatience when something slowed his travel down.

Eve's mother, Sabina, had already prepared lunch in anticipation of their arrival. Both Sabina and Gregor were there to greet the threesome. Jesse had been introduced to them when they arrived from San Diego and stopped at the apartment to pick up the Land Cruiser. He had been warmly welcomed into the family group and felt quite at ease with them. He had a chance to talk to Gregor about his medical equipment development and was fascinated with the science that went into it. Gregor promised to show him the DVD of the procedure and the equipment when they had more time.

Gregor had been clearing the driveway with a snow blower in anticipation of Eve's arrival. There was over a foot of snow on the ground and it was still snowing steadily when they arrived. Eve parked the Subaru in the garage, leaving an open space between the two vehicles in the three-car garage. In the back of the garage, Eve saw something that wasn't there on their last visit. It was a new snowmobile, sitting on a small trailer. Her father had succumbed once more to his lust for toys.