Lost and Forgotten Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'I understand.'

I knelt and crawled into the air shaft. I switched on the head lamp I had brought to light the way. I could lie and say I wasn't scared but that would be pure bullshit. I was frightened to death. There were any number of ways this could go lethally sideways. I would be just another statistic in the mysteries surrounding Nightshade and Missouri Smith. It took me twenty minutes to reach the end of the shaft. There was empty dark space beyond. My light couldn't reach far enough to illuminate anything. I took off my backpack and removed the glowsticks. I cracked one, shook it, and threw it out into the inky darkness. I watched it spin end over end and diminish into the distance. I expected it to disappear completely, but it didn't. I could still make it out, so it was time to anchor a line and climb down. Once more I dug into my bag and took out my climbing hammer and a spike. I drove the spike into the stone.

'Turn on your GoPro. They will want to see what you experienced.'

"Jesus Jacen, you scared the shit out of me!" I cried out and listened to the echoes of my voice filling the abyss.

'My apologies.'

I reached up and activated the camera. I attached the rope to the loop that was part of the spike. I slipped into the climbing harness and after a thorough check lowered myself to the floor below. My feet touched a stable surface and I looked around. It was here that I began narrating my journey.

"I've reached the cavern floor. My glowstick isn't far from here. I am marking my rope with a second stick. They should last about ten to twelve hours. If my math is correct this cavern is a hundred and fifty feet above the railroad tunnel. I am hoping to find signs or arrows pointing the way to the lower tunnels. I am nervous but hopeful. I haven't found any records of this in any of the railroad files I have read. There are no obvious signs, but the floor appears to have been leveled by human hands."

I have walked along the wall of the cavern to get a measure of its size and shape. I found an opening in the cavern wall that led downward. I marked it with a glowstick and continued until I had the measure of this place. It is huge. I guess that it is at least two hundred feet across and sixty feet wide in an irregular oval shape. The center is still a mystery but not for long.

"I am going to explore the center. I am going to crack another glowstick and see what's in the middle." I said and threw the stick. "Let's see what... no fucking way!" I cursed as the stick hit something. "How? It can't be! It is like the monoliths in the cemetery." I walked around the structure and tossed two more sticks to be sure. "It is an inverted pyramid. It looks just like the one I have seen in the Old Cemetery except this one isn't nearly as pitted at the other. The cavern has preserved it from weathering and sunlight. Dear god who built this?" I approached it and spotted the thousands of markings covering the pyramid's surface. I am recording these markings for analysis and decoding." I felt that same psychic cold I had during my second visit to the cemetery. "Fuck this, I am out of here!"

I spotted my rope. I was crossing the cavern floor when I kicked something. It skittered and landed further ahead. I found it and knelt to examine it. It was a rat. A huge fucking blind rat and it was petrified. It had turned to stone or was mummified. The body was shriveled and curled into a fetal position. Death hadn't been kind to the white eyed mutant. There were more of them between me and the rope dozens of them in fact. They were all mummified. There must be a colony of the blind rats in this mountain. The temperature suddenly plummeted. I could see my breath as I exhaled. I felt my anxiety increase.

"It is freezing in here." I whispered so that whoever watched the video knew what was happening. "It is time to go." I hissed under my breath.

The rope I had to get to my rope. I had to leave this place. A few more steps and I heard the noise. It was a soft wet slapping sound. It sounded like something had crawled out of some underground lake and was flopping around on the cavern floor.

I froze in place. I turned off my headlamp. I switched on the camera's lowlight feature. I could still see the glowstick in the distance. The thing was getting closer groping in the darkness for me. It must have been starved isolated down here feeding on rats and whatever animals wandered in here from the surface. I tried to remain still, but I was losing the battle with my fight or flight instinct. I caught a hint of movement behind me. It was larger than I expected. The shape of the thing was undulating and irregular. It seemed to sniff around and with a sudden rush of movement it lumbered directly towards me.

"Fuck this!" I screamed and bolted for the rope.

I raced half blind across the floor of the cavern with the thing chasing behind me. It had surprised me again. It was not only larger but faster than I had believed possible. I leapt for the rope and hauled myself up. Arm over arm I raced up the silken line. I reached the tunnel and pulled my body into it. I was operating on instinct and that instinct screamed look down. God help me I looked down. I could see the faint light of the glowstick through it. The shapeless translucent shape began climbing the rope. It was still coming! I pulled the knife from my ankle sheath and desperately cut the rope. I heard it hit the rocks below. The thunderous wet smack of the indescribable thing crashing to the cavern floor echoed in my ears. I clenched my teeth to keep from screaming. I scrambled up the shaft for daylight. I stopped long enough to catch my breath, but it wasn't finished with me. I heard it behind me in the tunnel. Panic kicked in and I sprinted to the opening of the shaft.

"Fuck you!" I growled as I moved as quickly as I could on all fours. "God damn it all to hell!" I cursed the length of the tunnel. "Motherfucker!"

I cursed the entire time, but the end of the air shaft felt so far ahead. I finally caught a hint of daylight. I could almost feel the warmth of the daylight and behind me that formless mass.

'Unidentified lifeform closing on your position!'

"I fucking know! Shut up Jacen!"

I dove for daylight. I launched my body outside and curled into a ball. I felt my bladder empty as the thing shrieked when the clean rays of the sun touched it. I clamped my hands over my ears. I think something snapped inside of me. I felt it break. I awoke on the path. I was still soaked from losing control. The stink of my urine startled me to wakefulness. I looked above me, and the sun was closer to the western horizon than I liked. I had to get back to town. I had to get indoors. I ran along the path. I trusted my feet to keep me safe until I reached the point where I would be forced to climb down. I was in too great a hurry to bother with chalk. I positioned myself and began climbing down.

'Help is on the way.'

Climbing down was easier than up. I pushed down the panic until it was simply fear. I almost screamed when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I spun and looked into my mother's eyes. The sense of relieve was overwhelming. I wept as she helped me into the car.

"What the hell happened to you?" She said fighting back tears of her own. "John? What happened?"

"I need a drink." I stammered as I sat in the car.

"You need a shower. You stink to high heaven. Let us help you. Diana has recovered from her fever. I'll wash you. It'll be nice."

"Mom? Oh god mom!" I cried.

"I got you."

She drove me back to the hotel. I staggered to the elevator while Jynx, mom, and Diana kept anyone from questioning me. They wrinkled their noses up and got me into the room. Mom stripped me down while Jynx started the shower and Diana set out clean clothes. I stumbled into the shower while the three of them undressed and joined me. It was a tight fit, but I didn't mind. I felt their hands on me as they lathered up my body and washed the sweat and stench from my skin.

"John." Mom softly addressed me. "What happened?"

"I found an air shaft that reached a large chamber inside the mountain. It is about a hundred feet above the railroad tunnel give or take. I anchored a rope and climbed down into it. I placed glowsticks around the perimeter of the chamber. There is a tunnel that may lead down to the railroad tunnel. I found an inverted pyramid and it has marking on it. I was leaving when I heard it."

"It?" Jynx asked. "What was it? A bear?"

"I don't know. I heard a wet slapping sound. There might be an underground lake. It chased me. I raced for the rope and cut it after I got to the top. It climbed the wall and almost caught me before I got into the light. The scream. It screamed when the light touched it. Aw god, I will be haunted by that sound."

"Hush." Mom said softly. "We got you."

"You are in a shower with three, count 'em three gorgeous women." Diana declared with a smile.

"She's right." Jynx purred. "Any guy would kill for this kind of attention."

"True. I am a lucky bastard." I agreed. "How are you feeling Diana?"

"Fine. It was just a touch of flu or fever." She stated. "We should go out."

"I filmed it. My GoPro has it all. Yes. Food. Let's eat and then I am going to break all of you."

We finished and dressed. I was shaken and hungry after what had happened. I took the memory card out of the GoPro and slid it into the nigh on invisible port on my phone. Jacen uploaded the files and began processing them. We left the hotel and headed for the nicest restaurant in town Bella Donna. It had a long and colorful history over the last two hundred and fifty years. The first owner was an English privateer who took his wealth after the War of Independence and help found the town of Nightshade. Captain William Davis was a cunning strategist and a bold leader of men. He brought that dynamic charisma to this town and by will alone forged a legacy that lasted centuries later. That heritage of interesting personalities drew men and women to take up the mantle as the owner of the Bella Donna. The current owner was the first self-made female billionaire, Gemma Waterhouse.

"Gemma!" I called out as I strode into the restaurant.

"Johnny Boy! I have your table for you and your three friends. I'm so jealous." She replied as she hugged me. "You always smell so damn good. Follow me."

We sat at the Chef's table and the Head Chef came out and greeted us. She was a striking woman in her early to mid-forties with jet black hair and bright blue eyes that captivated the observer. She wore the gleaming white uniform of a chef and greeted us with a bright genuine smile. My newfound celebrity had earned us the honor of being seated at her table. I shook her hand and told her she had our unwavering trust. She kissed my cheek and promised we wouldn't be disappointed. I ordered a bottle of champagne and relaxed as I turned over control to my mother Meghan.

"Isn't that Sylvia Archer?" Diana asked.

"Yes." Meghan replied. "A two-time winner of the Iron Chef competition."

"I love champagne." Jynx added since she had little experience with such places. "Who the hell is that?"

"Huh?" I asked turning my head in the direction she was staring. "Holy shit!" I cursed seeing the petite yet curvaceous silver haired beauty that was heading our way. "Did you invite her Meghan?"

"Nope. Anyone?" Mom asked but they denied knowing her.

"She looks familiar though." I admitted. "Something about her eyes, the color or is it the shape. Violet eyes are rare, and she is cute."

"Cute. She is stunning." Mom corrected me with a smile on her lips. "You're right she does look familiar."

"You're sitting at my table." The stranger said as she sat next to me. "I'm Elsbeth, Elsbeth Cartwright."

"John Morgenstern." I replied and then introduced the others. "I teach at St. Sebastian's."

"Hold on," Elsbeth called foul. "Men aren't allowed on the grounds of St. Sebastian's let alone teach there."

"Titania made an exception." I told her, and her demeanor cooled.

"You must be quite close to use her first name." She said with a tone that was a hair's breath away from contempt. "Are you fucking her?"

"Wow. You have a mouth on you." I fired back while the others kept score.

"You have no idea what my mouth can do." Elsbeth retorted and then smirked. "I love champagne."

"Thank you," I said to the server and gestured for a second bottle with the newcomer's arrival. "Are you staying for dinner or just drinking?" I asked, and the silver haired brat just raised an eyebrow. "Please tell the chef we have an unexpected guest." The server nodded and left. "So why is this your table?"

"My girlfriend owns this place." Elsbeth responded. "Speaking of girlfriends. I hear you found Titania's private collection."

"She told you eh?" I said and glanced at mom. "Have you seen them?"

"Of course. I saw them as they were being painted." Elsbeth cooed as she sipped her drink. "The artist was quite gifted."

"You say artist as in singular." Mom commented watching the girl grin.

"He was an art thief and also happened to be one of the most gifted artists I ever met." She said as her index finger traced the lip of the crystal stemware she was drinking from. "He would meticulously pick out a target, scope it out, and rob them blind. They were typically private collectors who had in their possession works of questionable ownership. He would then copy the acquired works and sell them covertly making a killing."

"What happened to the originals?" Jynx asked.

"It is said he had an underground bunker somewhere. He tapped into the local power grid to provide power to the climate control to maintain his treasure." Elsbeth explained. "I've seen his collection once. I was blindfolded and driven to his lair for a private viewing."

"A dragon and his hoard." I commented, and she agreed.

"Not so far off as you may think. Pity all that beauty is lost. He died last year and with him the location of the bunker."

"I'm sure his lackeys stripped that place clean the minute his heart stopped beating." I offered but her look said otherwise. "If you are right then the world has suffered a great loss."

Our meal arrived along with the second bottle of champagne. We ate in relative silence. I remembered the various paintings of Titania and my terrible assumption that she was a thousand years old. I smiled when I remembered believing she had inspired the great masters to cast her image in paint onto canvas. I felt foolish and gullible. What must she think of me? I was intrigued and wanted to see if what Elsbeth had said was true. Was there a hidden bunker loaded with stolen art? If so, could I find it? It would wait. I promised the ladies my undivided attention and I would indeed give them a night to remember.

The chef had outdone herself. When she returned to see if we were satisfied I praised her culinary skills and I found unfamiliar words tumbling from my lips. I picked out specific herbs and spices used in my meal. The chef was as surprised as I was by the nature of my critique. While the terms were accurate they were a bit outdated. I knew at once that it was the byproduct of the genetic memory.

"My nan was an amazing cook. She inspired me to be a chef." Sylvia shared with a brilliant smile. "I looked forward to every visit and she taught me her greatest secrets. Was there someone like that in your life Mr. Morgenstern?"

"Yes." I admitted as alien memories blossomed in my thoughts. "An uncle of mine." I said, and the image took root in my consciousness. "He reminded me of Father Christmas. His kitchen smelled of drying herbs that hung above my head. His garden was legend in the county and he was often shooing neighborhood boys who crept in and nicked apples off his trees."

I fell silent realizing that the memories were that of a young man that grew up in the U.K. while I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Mom saved me from the awkward silence that had grown up between Sylvia and myself. She declared it was getting late and it was time to get going. I paid for our meal and we headed for the exit. I saw how dark it was outside and stopped. I felt the bile building up in my throat and fought the urge to flee back into the restaurant. I reached into my pocket and clasped the lighter and held it firm. I propelled my body forward and opened the door for them. I held it open as the ladies stepped out onto the sidewalk. I cast my gaze skyward and saw the bleak moonless roof above our heads. I remembered the shriek the thing made and nearly pissed myself again.

"Stick close." I ordered. "Let's go."

"Are you alright John?" Elsbeth asked seeing my distress.

"Yeah. Just the flash of a bad memory."

It took so long to return to the hotel. I drew on the alien memory of happier times. I could smell the distinct scent of apples, mint, and other herbs blending on the wind. That maintained me until I saw the friendly illumination of the hotel. Once more I held open the door while the ladies entered. Connie was at the front desk and winked as she called me Gentleman John. I asked how she and her mother were doing. Simone was entertaining the guests with stories about previous festivals and notable fans of Missouri Smith. The glow of people drew me moth-like to their cheerful flame. The five of us walked into the living area where a grand piano has been wheeled into place.

"Someone talked to Finn." I said as I approached and kissed Simone's cheek. "Am I late?"

"Never. Will you play for me?" She asked.

"I'd be happy to." I said and turned to face the quartet. "Well?"

"Don't disappoint them." Meghan said. "I'll get you a pint."

"I had it tuned up when I heard you could play." Simone said and sat close. "We have a great crowd here tonight. We have fans from across the pond here."

I gave the keys a little tickle and launched into Piano Man. Even the folks from across the pond were familiar with that one. As I had the night before I took requests. The difference with this crowd was asking for more and more obscure songs. It became a challenge to stump me. The highlight of the evening was when a fan from the Ukraine approached and made a request in his native language. The tune, as if by magic, popped into my head and the burly man tapped his foot and we began singing together in his native Polish. That sent my mom for a loop and surprised the hell out of Jynx. The memories that weren't my own added a little flourish occasionally and that seemed to truly delight the old man. The song ended, and the man and his friends bought me a round and clapped me on the shoulder.

"My English is not so good," he stammered.

"My Polish is a little rusty," I offered switching to Polish.

"Your Polish is much better than my English. Where did you learn to play? Those little changes remind me of a dear friend of mine's great uncle. He taught piano most of his adult life. I tried to learn but I am not a musician."

"I am glad you enjoyed it." I said taking the shot of vodka and returning to my beer. "Who is next?"

I think that took the wind out of the others. I played for another half hour before calling it a night. I joined the others at a table near the piano. It was difficult explaining how I spoke Polish so instead I steered those questions away to more trivial matters. It was nearly ten o'clock when we heard the blood curdling scream, a woman's scream. I was up and out before anyone else could react. I saw movement and hurried over to help. I didn't see anyone or anything moving. Others joined me, and the second cry came from a man. It was Dr. Warlock and he looked shaken. The interim sheriff took charge and ordered people to stay back.

"This has got to be a joke." The sheriff said under his breath. "What kind of sick fuck does this?"

1...345678