All Comments on 'Love Wasn't Enough For Her'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 240 Comments
HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 13 years ago
Unsure what to say.

It was a story and held my interest, but it seemed to just die out, rather than end. It had a beginning and a middle and then it jus................

Raptor5Raptor5over 13 years ago
Slippery Slope.

Started out good and then petered out. Both made mistakes and paid for it. But she did make the biggest. Trust is the biggest and the biggest killer in a relationship. She lost it and he will still wonder if she did cheat on her trip or at her other study parties. Time too move on.

DoctorWyldcardDoctorWyldcardover 13 years ago
I sorta agree HDK...

BUT... ya knew it was there didn't ya...but...I think by drifting off we get more ..real.

Here is a guy who is truly in the process of finding himself and what HE wants. Notice how BOTH girls he fell with had their lives planned out? And his mother is trying to get him back with his ex.

Heck even his Dad has his great events...and the hero? Nada. Now he is finding and starting to travel HIS pathway.

But most if it did feel real. The drop back into parting, the 'friends' who wanted him to be the bill payer while she partied it up, her...change of plans... and I'll admit I don;t know if she wanted HIM back or wanted his paycheck but....

And the mind game... well as a man married for 13 years...yeah he has no clue but somehow he should have known that he could get her into bed. Yeah ...

Pretty good job Slirpuff, now stop reading our comments and get back to writing. ;)

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
can someone Please --PLEASE point out what Mistakes the husband made?

because I cannot find one. anyone? anyone at all ?

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 13 years ago
At the end-- the scene where they "talk" at the resturant-- KILLS it

First this story is so boring and predicatble. You just knew that the husbands parent would of course end up siding with the wife right?

I presume the super wimp husband told them that she disappeard at spring break for 3-4 days right? she could of been killed or raped. So if the Parents KNEW all this and they are still saying "but she loves you".... its just cliche. If the husband never told his own folks about the shit she was pulling ... he looks even more pathetic

the husband is a faggot and wimp and coward. The FIRST time he comes home and she her getting too friendly and making out with a guy from the study group... THAT one he let pass.

of course he never actually confronted her about it.... but for the sake of the marriage and kids he let it pass. Good for him that it did not come to violence.

But the 2nd time was well absurd. But NOT -- NOT -- because the husband didnt use violence.

Recall the resturant scene. The wife says she was having 2nd thoughts about the divorce. She wanted to call it off.

so naturally she fucks another men in their house.!!! But it gets worse. Every other paragraph the wife is drunk and cannt seem to remember what she is doing.

Her actions clearly show a high probability that she fucked a LOT of men at Spring break and she never lost her phone. She simply turned it off .

Even worse while they were living under one roof the wife says that she wanted him - the husband -- to make a move and try and re-connect. But she never tells him that-- she is under the impression that husbands are suppose to be Mind readers. She does not see the impact and implications of HER filing for divorce.

so at the dinner where she want to "talk" and aoplogize she ends up SCREAMING and SHRIEKING at him.

who the fuck would re-connect with a woman like that. ? Is this wife realted to Lynn GKS.????

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Depressingly real

Author, to me, seems to have this incredible ability, by accident or through understanding, to observe and report on real women's thinking. Women have this incredible stupid capacity to lie about virtually everything except what they should. Remarkable REAL conversation on page 4: She admits to sex with a guy "she wasn't even attracted to." WHAT? Since when have you ever seen or heard of a woman allowing a guy she wasn't even attracted to fuck her or even get to kiss her? Where does that happen? (Please someone find me that spot so I can go there a get all the nookie I want whether the girls are interested or not!) So what she said was a lie. Then she says: "I can't say I didn't enjoy it because I did..." So after lying that she had sex with a guy she supposedly didn't like, she admits to the husband she's trying to win back, who's telling her what she did with the other guy just about killed him inside, that the sex really rocked her world! What a time for telling/hearing the truth! Amazing display of airheadedness but so like what happens IRL. What a deal killer! I'd have alot more respect for this guy if 1) he made a point to find 'Kevin" and ask him some questions about his wife's activities and then help him have "an accident" since Kevin knew the wife was going through a divorce, still married (and still "belonged" to hubbie) and vulnerable and 2) hubbie explain to all concerned that the only reasons Becky isn't dating is she NEEDS hubbie back to support her since she's finally realized none of the younger study group guys want her for anything but some easy sex and don't want some older broad with a kid for the long haul.

bigguy323bigguy323over 13 years ago
Thats IT?

Not your best effort.

JennyBearJennyBearover 13 years ago
Good story

I enjoyed it. The ending worked for me, maybe more realistic than most on Lit.

Scorpio44Scorpio44over 13 years ago
Quality writing from where I sit

I discovered that reading the story showed me how the husband in the story was more patient and willing to allow himself time to process the events in his life instead of basing his response to a snapshot. Maybe that approach will lead to a more satisfying life in the long run. In my life I tend to make decisions without allowing a long processing time.

The discussion of blame could have included blaming the Catholic church for convincing them to live with a mistake instead of having an abortion and waiting five or ten years to have children. I suspect Slirpuff didn't go there as it would have inspired hundred of comments and three days in a confessional.

hawkeye007hawkeye007over 13 years ago
Please...!

He put up with having sex only 4 times in two years. I can't believe anyone could be that week.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Good one

I think you hit it dead on . Those readers who have not been through divorce wouldn't understand it . No matter what the situation , weather its a good thing or a bad thing , divorce sucks ass . Everybody has their own way of dealing with it . What works for one guy wouldn't work for another . He put his kids first and runs his life the way he wants to now . She's a dumb asshole and he knows it now . He does it for the kid and for him its simply a matter of convenience than anything else . Good read . Keep em coming .

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 13 years ago
Well written

I liked the ending, it was not the normal getting back together at any cost or kick the bitch to the curb ending. Good job there.

I respectively disagree with HDK, the ending was purposely left open. Let the reader use their imagination as to the final outcome.

One comment said that the husband did nothing wrong, I sort of agree. I think he shouldn't have agreed for the wife to go on spring break. Also he could have and should have put a stop to all the nights out with the study group. It might have brought things to a head sooner but what the hell they got there anyway.

The story was an easy read with a good flow and well developed characters. Good job and thanks for your hard work. Looking forward to your next effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Nice Story!

I agree with everything that Woodmanone said. Thanks for sharing! Ohio, USA

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Wrong??

A good story, but can someone please explain what exactly the husband did wrong during his marriage other than placing his trust in wife which she promptly destroyed.

kelly_kellykelly_kellyover 13 years ago
Umm...

Though well written, hardly any errors — but not up to the "mark". Few of the scenes are (somewhat) similar to JPB's Carmen/Camrin's(Someone's) Baby.

*-*-*

"I don't know how it happened. We were studying and the next thing I knew..."

"Steve, the two of you were by all accounts basically divorced and she told me herself that she was drunk. I know that doesn't excuse what she did...

*-*-*

Wow, who gets drunk while "studying" and have sex with people they are not "attracted" to? *SMILES*

~Kelly~

RehnquistRehnquistover 13 years ago
It's not a story without an end

Sorry, but even Gone With the Wind had an end--and end where he left her, granted, and we're left with hope that Scarlett will persevere. But that's not what we have here. Wanna get them back together? Then do so. Wanna kick her to the curb? Do so. The real problem with the way this story finished, though, is we're not really sure that the husband has learned anything, has grown much at all, and where he's going.

Sorry, you don't have to answer every single question, but leaving us all hanging on whether they get back together really seems like a major question that should've been answered.

H2Okie79H2Okie79over 13 years ago
I enjoyed that...

A nice read, flowed smoothly, and held my attention to the end. A couple of nice twists to keep it interesting. Well done.

SqueezeplaySqueezeplayover 13 years ago
Huh?

Usually your stories are great. This one just leaves me shaking my head. I agree with Rehnquist - it needed some type of ending.

jasonnhjasonnhover 13 years ago
Not surprising

This story is what can happen when 2 children marry. Steve seems to be trying to step up and plan a future together. Becky still wants to be a kid. Her disrespect for Steve is massive. Spring break without him, almost daily study time and partying with buddies, a bitchy and accusing attitude. In the end SHE files for divorce. She figures she is going to ride him like a mule. She finds out life may not be as easy as she was told by her "friends". Then she tries for an accommodation that is simply for her convenience. He, being testicularly challenged, agrees with it. She whines that she wants to stop the divorce (which she started) and to prove her sincerity sleeps with another guy. Steve's major problem is that he can't figure out what he wants. He says over and over he couldn't trust Becky but refuses to take action based on that truth. He is wishing for things that just are not true. A mature, trustworthy Becky doesn't exist. His thrashing around is a sign of his immaturity. Amber is a free spirit. They like each other but she is never ready to settle down. Even at the end she is playing it out because she doesn't want to lose him completely. He essentially decides for the status quo, that is to take no action and just keep strolling along through his life. It's funny that he keeps hooked up to the two women who he cannot have closure with; one he can't trust and one who doesn't want to be pinned down. There are other fish in the sea. I agree with the criticism that this didn't end, it just kind of fizzled out. I enjoyed the ride but at the end of the trip I got out and found myself in beautiful downtown Hoboken wondering how the hell I ended up there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
kelly is right

Who gets so drunk while studying that "it just happens" and they end up in bed? What exactly do they study ? Spring break: drunk for several days. Nights out : coming home plastered. What's happening then and in between. I couldn't trust her nor accept it either. Live instead of being lived. He made the right decision. And the rest is a convenient arrangement while his son is growing up.

OldHidekiOldHidekiover 13 years ago
I wanted a cleaner ending.

Steve is still hurting, and Becky still doen't wants to blame Steve. Everyone wants Steve to forgive Becky, and I felt he has every right to not trust the woman ever again.

Average_WriterAverage_Writerover 13 years ago
Good story Slirpuff.

I would like a slightly better ending. But hey it's your story. And as ever it was well written. Thanks for the story.

RePhilRePhilover 13 years ago
Agree with Better Than Average Writer

Good story but the ending could surely be more complete it would have really made the story perfect

chytownchytownover 13 years ago
Great story!!!!!

One of your best!!!!! "Thank You" for a great read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
A very nice story.

It certainly worth reading. No one can say it was boring. Nice writing. Cheers Roger.

oldwayneoldwayneover 13 years ago
Somehow, I think the ending was as it should have been.

However, it could have gone, Steve would have probably been left with some regrets. All of his issues were not resolved, so it should have been left without a real conclusion. I don't think you need to take it any further. Let you reader come to his or her own conclusion about how it should end. Several authors whom I greatly respect have called it a weak ending. I respectfully disagree. Thank you for your story.

jkneusjkneusover 13 years ago
Sorta been down that road....

and came to the point where Steve finds himself now. Seems like two different paths to travel, at three really. And of course his son is at the center. Well that's life isn't it.....and then you take that next step. Good story.

DanielQSteele1DanielQSteele1over 13 years ago
Back to the really good stuff

I'm not sure exactly why becuase I generally like stories that have an ending, but I liked this one. Actually I liked it better than some of your more recent ones, and I like all of them to some extent. You're a very good writer, but the latest stories up until very recently were at a different level. You were always interesting, but your later stories moved you, in my opinion, to one of the best writers on this site. There are tightly plotted stories that have the movement of a Swiss watch, which are fun, and then there these almost slice of life stories that feel more real than most on this site. This was one of the latter. I felt for the hero, but as somebody else wrote, the wife had a valid reason for feeling that he had ruined her life. She was at fault for throwing the marriage away, but many marriages that start that way don't make it for a lot of reasons. Anyway, I liked it.

zed0zed0over 13 years ago
Pretty Good Read, I guess

Your "straddle" ending although different, was not satisfactory. I think trying to please the reconciliation at all cost wimps, and the kick her to the curb kill the bitch crazies did not work very well at all. It appeared the story was headed for a total wimp out when he passed on fucking Amber's boss. Steve seemed a little unbelievable, I mean for a twenty something, buff-boy, stud muffin, you have him acting like a fifty something sexually repressed priest with a small penis. And not kicking the shit out of the guy fucking his wife was pure disgusting wimp out, although keeping the ex around as a fuck buddy was a nice touch. I hope he dumps her for Amber in the next chapter.

SalamisSalamisover 13 years ago
A life in limbo

Good writing and a good story, though it’s a shame to have the hero end in limbo with two women: one geographically undesirable and the other just plain undesirable.

I felt sorry for Steve. He did nothing wrong, but that certainly doesn’t guarantee you a happy life. By the end of the story he hadn’t really grown. He had more experiences, but he was still stuck in the same conundrum.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteover 13 years ago
Sorry slirp-dog....

...couldn't take the time to read a story that couldn't possibly end well...I can only fish for so long and that line won't test....I see other readers O.K. with no limits to the odds but I gotta see some chance of a happy ending, some chance of drama. First page said enough., As always though looking forward to your next.

rlg99prlg99pover 13 years ago
IT Covered Everything

From the start to the end the story covered every part of the relationship. Her getting pregnant,getting married,problems with the baby,his work, his classes and her school buddies. She listen to her friends instead of talking to her husband and the marriage died. It was a good story Author keep writing.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 13 years ago
a nice enjoyable smooth reading story

A very realistic story with believable characters that kept my interest through out.

A good story concept that is well edited and nicely done.

Thanks for the good story

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteover 13 years ago
For Christ's sake Dungdaddy can't you at least give this author....

....enough respect to change the word processor once in a while???

jimhesdedjimhesdedover 13 years ago
Does harryinVA EVER say anything positive?

The story was good, not great. It had its good points and its bad points, like most of the writing at Literotica. But I swear if I read one more harryinVA criticism of an author's work, I will scream. The man has never read a cheating wife story he liked, forcing me to ask WHY THE HELL HE KEEPS READING THEM? Is it only to feed his own ego by writing crits that show everybody how smart he is? Have I missed something and he has written marvelously better stories than anyone else? Has he written ANY stories? Sheesh! Give us a break Harry......how about skipping the next 10 (or a 100, even) comments, and just let us assume you did not like the story as usual? Cripes!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
I've lived this life.

It brought back a lot of memories of my own experience. It was for the most part like real life and its pitfalls. I give the author five stars!

bruce22bruce22over 13 years ago
Interesting and Very Realistic

You really never know where the story will end until you are dead.

Really if he had beat on Kevin probably he would go to jail and basically most people consider people who are a couple of day from the final decree as free. The only shock came from his still letting himself be hurt... But she never tried to talk to him about what she wanted or worried about how he was feeling, and in fact felt that she was entitled! Entitled to ride him like a mule while she enjoyed herself.

Basically this was a revenge fantasy for her because he,,,,, did not put a condom on and ruined her life. Actually where the story finished is the end of the story. He can never move away and he can never really trust her, trust her to do what is right for the couple and their kid....

Nice Work Slirrpuff!

needchocolatenowneedchocolatenowover 13 years ago
I half agree with Harry

The husband is a dumb ass and a coward. Not seeing the homosexual inclination Harry suggests though. Wimp? Not seeing that either but it depends on how "wimp" is defined. Husband never met his wife's emotional needs, she sought solace elsewhere. Not saying she was right, but that's the bottom line of where they went wrong.

Dumb ass mistake #1:

The husband gets this marriage way off track to begin with. She's pregnant not dead. Still has the same needs any woman has; the need for emotional and physical love. The need for comfort, both from aches and pains and the comfort of being valued as the same person that attracted you to begin with. The need for reassurance. As her body changes she NEEDS to hear often, convincingly and passionately that she's beautiful and desirable. Husband in this story provides food, shelter, clothing and infrequent companionship. If he ever did meet her needs, he sure as hell stopped when she got pregnant.

Dumb ass mistake #2:

First weekend without the baby and he plans for sex without talking to her about those plans, after he's essentially ignored her emotional needs for the previous year. Hmmm, ya think she's really interested? She has done nothing but focus on her changing body, her baby and putting her dreams on hold for a year and her first free weekend goes to dumb ass husband? Now, had dumb ass talked to her about his desire for a weekend of reconnection, he might have found out that she'd stopped viewing him as her lover and only views him as they guy who took away her dreams and left her emotionally abandoned. Screw that, I'll paint the baby's room and get some lasting satisfaction....

Dumb ass mistake #3:

When she was involved in the study group he should have voiced his concerns repeatedly and not backed down. "I want you to spend time with me, not with them." Sounds demanding but to a wife who has been ignored, it's a chance to get to the bottom of their issues. Husband claims she never talked to him, to say how unhappy she was. He had been the creator of a huge chasm between them and yet he expects her to build the bridge. She finally gets her chance to do something for herself and she goes overboard in her zealousness. Perhaps prompted by years of resentment for being ignored, being put on the back burner, putting the baby and husband before herself and now she gets to do things for herself.

Dumb ass mistake #4:

Due to all the previous dumb ass mistakes, he's left his wife with a question mark about her self worth and where she fits in her own life let alone others. She's now the MILF with college boys, getting attention-the kind husband should have been giving. She begins to see that other people appreciate her charms but her husband only sees her as the mother of his child, the wife who is supposed to be at home with her family. Had dumb ass mentioned that he missed spending time with her, wanted to be with her, had he spent some time wooing her, she wouldn't have been so vulnerable to listening to other dumb asses. (Understand that wives make this dumb ass mistake as often as husbands)

Husband was cowardly because even when his mother finally explained his culpability in the dissolution of the marriage, he is too chicken to see beyond his hurt. Which is why he'll never get a happy relationship in the future. If he can't see where he went wrong, he'll never see where THEY went wrong and he's doomed to repeat it over and over again.

Be it known I'm not suggesting the wife was some innocent blameless victim of biological urges and societal norms, she played a larger role in destroying the marriage than the husband did.

As far as her getting some action 4 days prior to the divorce being finalized... grow the fuck up! Of course she is free to seek out some comfort, as was he. Their agreement said no overnights, the study buddy didn't stay the night, or at least it didn't say so in the story.

I thought the ending was perfect because it was unfinished. The husband hadn't yet gained enough insight into his own contributions to his unhappiness. This story was a narration into one mans life during a certain period of time. At the end of the story his divorce was not as painful and more accepted. The next step is the beginning of a new story.

BriteaseBriteaseover 13 years ago
Personally, I think ---

Well, I think that this was a pretty good story. I've been reading Slirpuf for some time and he gets better and better. Despite what (my best friend and supporter ??? ) Harry says, this was realistic enough, but sufficiently fancieful to be a good story and a good read. I think that's the point surely isn't it? If a story is too typical of life out there, then who the hell would enjoy reading it. Too far fetched, and it becomes totally unbelievable. The point is to stretch what is normal just sufficiently to be different and exciting, and that's not easy to do. In this Category it's damn well impossible to please everyone, and it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. Then again, that's what makes LV so special. Keep it up Slirpuf. I'm a fan.

bdoggriffenbdoggriffenover 13 years ago
seemed very real

To me this seemed like I was listening to a young man still in the ending of a bad marriage. To me one or your great strengths is how real your characters seem. I would say a bit the opposite of DSQ, whose stories I also love, but whose characters seem to leap more from nighttime TV dramas. The husbands mistake, by the way, to whoever was asking that question, was getting the girl pregnant in the first place. It was a forced marriage that was doomed. She was obviously not ready for the commitment. He was young and lost. His parents should have been more help and given him better advice, but we don't all get perfect parents. I do think you could have ended it in a different place. But you had my interest throughout. I think the characters seemed real and acted in realistic ways. Also as in many of your recent stories the dialog was very smart. OH, and I should add you are one of my favorite authors here.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
HUH?

I don't get it. If the guy is getting all the dates he wants with a number of hotties now that he is "buff", why would he date his ex who looks ratty and is now fat? Why wouldn't he continue to date the hotties until the the other girl he is in love with is ready to settle down? Dating the ex who is not to be trusted makes no sense.

jiminabjiminabover 13 years ago
Sad

It just seemed sad to me.

sshine55sshine55over 13 years ago
title

I thought this story drug out a lot and was waiting for details of cheating and never got there, it was very boring when it just said that they had sex.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
this was bullsit...

what a cop-out! you didnt end the story and god damnit i hate when the family never really stands up the guy. you made the mother say how shes not saying either of them were right or wrong, but becky wants to try again and danny started all of this anyway. you suck and i bet you're a terrible family member if that is how think a family should act. i hate the excuse-i was drunk- because it doesnt mean shit and frankly it seemd as if becky wanted to try again but he never made a move and well, women have needs. so instead of getting her needs satisfied by her husband, she fucked her studdy buddy which was one of the problems. youre not as bad as matt moreau (thank god) but RAAC (reconcilation at all costs) pretty much should never be an option. *sigh* i generally like your stories but you have such shitty characters and endings and im fucking tired of reading them. i think i might have to stop reading your work.

VickieTernVickieTernover 13 years ago
I dunno. You do have problems with endings.

Becky may be anticipating a sentimental fuck because she now regrets her mistakes and all, and she's the mother of their child and all, and she's older now and all, andmay have learned from the past and all (this I doubt -- she's only learned from the consequences). But Steve needs to get on with his life with someone who can be a partner and helpmate, and she just isn't qualified.

Amber is. Just look how good she is for him, and how she's already cased the Atlanta scene for her man, how independent she can be -- rather than a burden -- what she can bring to him!. And check out her confidence in him even when he lacks it. He owes it to Becky to remove himself altogether so she can get on with her life on her own terms. She wasn't up to their earlier difficulties though he was, if barely, and she can't be expected to be up to future difficulties -- and such will come, they always do. She doesn't cope and then move on.

And these are the terms YOU set up. Why you end so indeterminate I don't know -- what exactly are you evading, or what unspoken principles or obligations are you still weighing, or who or what that isn't part of the story are you trying to please? If they don't follow from the story and its characters as they are, they have no busness governing your conclusions. Do you have some unstated agenda with this story? To somehow satisfy some religious conviction? Somehow please -- or not displease -- a spouse? Please your own "tutelary genius" (S.T. Coleridge's term for the inner Muse that creates the story out of your most profound feelings and perceptions)! I'm not arguing for a "happy" ending -- I'm arguing for narrative integrity. If you want him to rejoin her, rewrite both of them! If you want him indecisive and a little passive, as it would seem, rewrite the whole story!

SilverWolf78754SilverWolf78754over 13 years ago
Growing Up

It seems to me Becky is growing up and has learned her lesson, but I think Steve has grown up too. If Becky can stop blaming everyone else for her problems and take responsibility for her own life, there is a good chance she will be a good wife.

Also, Steve needs to decide what is important. While Amber was fun, she called all the shots. Unless Steve becomes a lot more ascertive, it will never work.

As for Becky and Steve, with a lot of communication and even some counseling, I think they have a good shot. I know they love each other. If they can be honest and regain trust in each other, It can work. But every relationship takes work.

Is there plans on a sequel to this story?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
45 minutes I'll never get back!

Got to be the worst Slirpuff story yet with the worst reader comments ever. Silver Wolf, how can people like you droll on about working out "trust" issues. Here's how it works, dumb ass, you put a certain amount of trust in a person until they screw you over. Then you no longer trust them. There's really nothing to work out. Don't complicate life, it's hard enough already.- lonewolf3307

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
I had to give this one a two.

This is one of the few totally unsatisfactory Slirpuff stories I've read. The husband wanders around indecisively and the story just sort of peters out. But hey, there are a lot of good Slirpuff stories here .... this just isn't one of them :-)

sojomansojomanalmost 13 years ago
Confusing

This story like several others by this author seems confused, hesitant, and the ending makes one wonder if the author actually has the slightest clue how to put an end to his own indecision and confusion when he writes his stories.

The portrait of the two main female protagonists is fairly realistic. Amber is, in a way, living the life Becky would have wanted for herself, with her own ambitions and dreams. Unlike Amber's, Becky's dreams were ruined by Steve. Steve couldn't bother getting up to get the condom !! He thought he could pull out in time !! What a sad sad definition of a man. He has trust issue with the mother of his child (who by the way was stressed and drunk) and seems to be living a decent life caring for her child but doesn't have issues with the woman that won't let him into her flat because another guy was in her bed and tells him to go have a walk? What a stupid, sad, and wimpish image of a man.

I love people who have the generosity of heart and a deep sense of humanity to forgive their partner when mistakes are made in a moment of weakness or emotional hardship and the partner demonstrates true regrets. I also believe that those who hurt their partner, and not only by cheating, out of premeditated deceit and lack of respect deserve the most serious of retributions.

I wonder if this is just another confused and poorly written story or, considering certain patterns in this and other stories, this is a reflection on the author's own issues in life. Certainly the fixation on using the same name for the main male character is intriguing. Deep personal issues are buried down deep in these stories.

DWornockDWornockalmost 13 years ago
A pox of them both.

Both men and women lie to put themselves in a better light. Women just do it better. Of course she lied about fucking during Spring Break and it is obvious she was fucking at the so called study sessions since it was so frequent that even with her husband present she and a guy started making out. If the study sessions had been on the up and up that would not have happened.

There is not much reason for study sessions anyway and, if their is, the library and college study rooms are availible and better because they are set up for studying and there would be no drinking. The fact is she wanted to party and have fun and study session was just the lie she used as an excuse so she could fuck hot young college studs. Not that she was doing anything wrong getting fuck on the side, but she knew her husband would never approve.

The husband is a worthless mental case because he cannot control his emotions, get over his ex, and move on with his life.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggalmost 13 years ago
A Great Story ( that shifts gears, slips and grinds to sputtering halt)

& yet it garners five stars based on the great journey it took me. The ultimate destination was a little lassez-(un) faire by my stars. I admired the economit and time management realities depicted . Becky when it was all said and done didn't seem to be worth the angst she put the narrator thru. Would actually enjoy a story from her POV where I would understand her rationale. Still five stars for taking the time to elevate story above" stroke status".TY Slirpuff!

ParPlus10ParPlus10over 12 years ago
I thought it was good.

This story showed a lot about the confusing nature in a divorce.

I actually think it was good that you ended it the way you did. Stories that end in revenge or reconciliation are really common.

This story leaves the reader somewhat empty which is what the main character felt and was trying to resolve.

I wouldn't want this type of ending all the time but it was good for a creative change.

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 12 years ago
i find it amazing that he would want either of the two women

Amber is a skank that's fucking anyone she wants. But at the same time she expects Steve to wait on her. He pops up at her house and she's fucking some other guy and Steve wines like some little bitch. Becky already showed her true colors. So why would he want either of those to sluts.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 12 years ago
Nice Slice-of-Life Story

The story & characters really rang true. I'm guessing tales like this actually occur over

and over in modern marriages...spouses get thrown into situations that they aren't ready to deal with. Great job of story telling!

cantbuymycantbuymyabout 12 years ago
i can understand it

neiother is married - the x needs to stay an x. amber is single and offered to make it exclusive and he said no, but maybe. that is called dating; marriage and what leads up to it is supposed to be when exclusive comes into play.

Ntropy586Ntropy586almost 12 years ago
Pet Peeve Time!

Okay, I've got to say it...especially since nobody else seems to be pointing it out: whomever you've gotten to edit your work needs to SERIOUSLY revisit the proper use of phrases such as "used to be" and "supposed to be". In every single instance in this work, you are using a present-tense verb ("use to be," for example), when these types of phrases are a PAST-TENSE verb format ("I used to be able to ignore such improper usage of the English language," as yet another example).

Think of it this way: whenever a person - or an author - uses such a phrase, it is in an instance where the act of using or supposing is assumed to have happened ("I'm supposed to be going to Mary's later," while talking about an event yet to happen, still assumes that the supposing has already happened, therefore it's a past-tense verb conjugation).

If it makes your life simpler, or if it does so for your editor, I can boil it down to one simple rule: ALWAYS USE THE PAST-TENSE FORM WHEN IT INVOLVES THE PHRASES "USED TO..." OR "SUPPOSED TO...".

...anything else is just sloppy.

Other than that, I really enjoyed your work (and yes, I realize I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill, but your obviously hard work is undermined by something so easy to avoid...and I would rather spend my time enjoying what you have to write!).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Hard to relate to

For me it was an agonizing trip through the mind and actions of our hero. I find it very hard to believe how much he allowed himself to wallow in his own hurt feelings for about 60% of the story. What his wife actualy did was very forgivable under the circumstnaces. Only one act of intercourse, some acts of fondling (definitely not appropriate for a married woman) and many months of her self absorbed bitchiness.

Compared to the vast majority of other cheating wives on this site she was almost like a nun. Of course, we know she was a self absorbed brat and using I was drunk as an excuse for infidelity in her own home which broke her legal aggreement with her husband is certainly a major breech in moral judgement, All said our hero throughout was a constant victim of his own emotiona and hurt feelings hardly very enlightened don;t you think ?

BetterEndingBetterEndingalmost 12 years ago
Hard to Imagine

She wants to go on spring break with her friends and does not ask her husband to go along? (Who does that and who allows it?) She is gone for several days, he cannot contact her and she never calls? She lost her phone?

Oh, you don't like that excuse (because there were probably hundreds of other phones around), then how about that she was drunk for the whole time? Oh, but even though she was too drunk to attempt to call, she never cheated.

And then when she got back she spent all her free time with her friends, even coming home late drunk. And this guy had to wait for HER to file divorce papers???? Boggles the mind.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Atlanta

They're young and they had been in love most of their lives and now, they still have feelings for eachother BUT...now there is an obstacle, an obstacle that cannot ever be removed and will be or would be a constant heartache and hurtful memory for life. Too bad, she had similar feelings as him but at the very end...she fucked up and fucked another guy while the man who worshipped her lay 2 stories down in total horror, hurt and despair - that will always haunt him, as a friend or even again - as a husband!

He knows that even in anger, ones love for the other puts a self imposed wall in front of cheating and even drunk, she petted and had sex with someone else, knowing full well it was her house with her still husband and that it would be a knife in his heart...consequences - young and stupid but now alifetime to hurt and regret. Aomeday, they'll both realize that what they had as teenagers was love and they did care for eachother but deep down it was not ebough to secure a lifetime of fidelity and love. Eventually there would be other issues that would drive them to anger with eachother. Yes, they both hurt but they needed to move on - HER decision to vacation, play, flirt and use him for an excuse (even a little justified due to their age) was a dead giveaway...she wasn't ready and maybe they would end up together but not before she had fun, dated, got a degree, got a good job, dated some more and then thought about him...she didn't get to do her thing, her life he had np idea of and I will give her credit - she really did try but in the end - her having sex in their house was her subconscious indicator that she would move on...even though she hadn't gifured it out. She didn't want to feel guilty and she just didn't put that togetjer and at the end of your story, she still hasn't figured it out and he - he isn't too far off. He is beginning to realize that it is okay to be without her and yes - hehonestly does have feelings for her, good feelings but there will always be the betrayal?

As much as she felt she missed her fun loving college days, going to Panama, getting drunk and not calling him was not good. She could have had him go with her, let her get crazy while he read andit would have been fine. Did she cheat with all of her now late studying - Yes, even if it was just grab assing - to some degree she cheated and that wasn't just disrespectful, it meant that the deep down love for him wasn't enough for her to draw a line against petting and/or seducrion - even in fun!

Okay, Atlanta. Amber committed to exclusivity and while she didn't commit to marriage, she did commit to exclusive and they both really want to be together. He needs to make some kind of a griendly deal with the Ex for shared custody of Danny, move to Atlanta and get a challenging job with upward mobility to quench his thirst for achievement and enjoy life. Hell, they may never get married but there are couples out there just like them and ... they are happy!!!

This is not punishment for Becky and eventuall she'll realize it. Her screw up was also rebelling at her being married and with a child for which all her choices had vanished. Presented with the opportunity to play at being single - she did.. , Does she love Steve - SURE for everything that they were but now she would always feel the hurt she inflicted, she would always feel his uncertainty and he would always have flashbacks so...Sadly, best to try and be friends and move on.

I do feel sorry for her but she did refuse to get a counselor and talk about things. Worse case scenario, he may have opted for a sexual and cordial separation, maybe let her be a hotwife provided she was discreet and kept him informed, maybe go out of town and swing but anything that could be worked out by just getting a third party to intervene or talk = she didn't so now...Steve should go to Atlanta and again, I liked Becky.

Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Edditing

Would have been better with some editing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
sophisticated, nuanced story

Slirpuff is firmly in the pantheon of my favorite authors on this site. His stories are agonizingly real, frustrating, and often heart-breaking. As things start to fall apart, the protagonist is never sure what he should do, and you know what? That's what real life is like. I needed to get out of my first marriage, but to this day, some 40 years later, I still remember that heart breaking moment when I thought the word 'divorce' in my own mind. I still wish I could have found another way.

Sure, I wish the story had a more definitive ending, but think about it for a minute: as another commentator observed, Steve hasn't exactly grown through all this--he just kind of endured and aged. The up-in-the-air ending is perfectly matched to this still unformed lead character. The way he is trying to decide between Amber and Becky is exactly at the same level of maturity as a high school student holding his tray while he tries to decide whether to sit at the table with his new friends or go over and sit with his old friends instead.

If you think of it like that, the ending is kind of a profound snapshot of Steve's character.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
1ST MINUTE

identified; a catholic story. enuf for me.

Charley49erCharley49eralmost 11 years ago
Please

learn the difference between suit and suite; quit, quite, and quiet. Too many of your stories have those mistakes and your proof reader is letting you down..

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
becky is an immature cheat, Amber is a self centered slut

no reason to do anything with either of them. Time to move on and move up

phil2213phil2213over 10 years ago
Shit happens in the folly of youth

This story was well written and examines the inequities of immature people in trouble with an unplanned pregnancy. The outcome was predictable and the characters were very realistic.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 10 years ago
Great Tale

He made the right decision in the end. No decision. What he went through with his ex-wife and what the other fuck friend is going through herself it's good he keeps his options open and takes on life as it comes. Somewhere out there is the ideal woman for him. He will find her, someday. This story does need a sequel.

sugnasugnaover 10 years ago
Messed up people

What a mess of messed up people. Where were the parents? Someone should have interceded and told Becky to get her head out of her ass. Instead her parents let her mess up her life, Steve's and Danny's life.

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
WHEN THE "WHAT IF"

becomes why not and why trouble looms. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Good story.

Enjoyed this story. Good set your own priorities and let it roll decision. Hell, that's a pretty good life.

sdc92078sdc92078about 10 years ago
Maybe Amber in a couple of years, but NEVER AGAIN Becky

Becky let her friends talk her into trying to turn Steve into a single girl's meal ticket. That was worse than the actual divorce and the fooling around with other guys that went along with it, because while the sexual indiscretions could be "it got out of hand," deciding to walk out on him and turn him into her money slave was totally and coldly deliberate.

krosis666krosis666about 10 years ago
According to this story

There are only 3 women living on the entire planet, and one is his mom. So that leaves the choice of 2 childish, self-absorbed women that treat him like shit. There are no other women out there for him? Why are all these stories written as if it`s a LAW that he has to be married? As if it`s a law that his only choices for a wife are the ex that cheated, or the new slut that cheated? There are no other options, he MUST choose between only those two!

How about, just for the novelty of it, you write a story where you don`t blame the husband for his wife`s infidelity, and where he actually moves on with his life, instead of crying and pining away for an ex who couldn`t care less about him, and that he meets someone that doesn`t treat him like shit. And throw in some parents that actually support him, instead of trying to force him to take back the slut- wow, there`s a novel idea! That`s probably too much of a fantasy, even for this site!

krosis666krosis666about 10 years ago
Also

There were a few references to "Mistakes" made by the husband, and that he was at least partially to blame. WHY? What mistakes did he make? Getting her pregnant? Don`t you think a woman has at least SOME responsibility in getting pregnant? Or is it only the man`s fault?

As far as I can see, his only mistake in this story, was that he married her in the first place! Hell, even his own mom blames him for his wife's cheating! If only he had gone to work, 24 hours a day, to pay the bills and put a roof over their heads, and if only he also stayed at home too, to raise their kid, and if only he had told her to spend all their money on partying, and let her fuck around, then maybe, just maybe, if he was REALLY lucky, he might still be married. Bullshit. He had NO responsibility for the break up of the marriage.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
where to start

Too bad there's now way of physically preventing intercourse among the young until they can prove maturity. Surely these two didn't.

The continual finger pointing of blame on Steve was so unfair especially as he seemed to be trying to make the best of a bad situation.

I know it was part of the author's attempt to force Becky into a financial hole for stories' sake, but 'doubt that would ever happen in today's biased court system.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsalmost 10 years ago
cracks me up

Chip and Dale dancers, too funny.

Does Slirpuff use speech to text or does he actually type this?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
no but he is one of the best wimpy cuckold

Writes on this site behind MATT M, OHIO and Murphy621

KarenEKarenEalmost 10 years ago
Move To Atlanta

Amber's the woman for you.

Drive up every other weekend to see the kid.

kdcee79kdcee79almost 10 years ago
Hello Steve Moore

I've just it worked out ... you're actually Steve Moore & all these stories are fantasy autobiographies. Huh ? ? ?

I know many commentators think you're a great author, sorry I don't; what you are is a writer who can develop very good plots & sub plots & fleshes them out quite well. Where you fail miserably is with your basic English writing skills i.e spelling, wrong tense, changing tense in the same sentence, using the incorrect punctuations or none or in the wrong places. A good author doesn't do that, he/she has editors to help correct any mistakes so that when their work is published it's perfect.

Now to this tale, had a good basic plot that in most places you handled well but as most readers read for their enjoyment it's quite easy to spoil the " mood '' with just small basic errors that seem to crop all too often in your works.

Most commentators seem to spend their critiques talking about the actual story, however that's not my aim, I prefer to look at the writer & his/her abilities/ skills & critique those areas. This failed for me.

2 **

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Stay away from Becky

Not only is Becky old news, she's bad news. She a cheater, a liar and a shitty wife, as you found out.

Run Steve, run.

Tootight1Tootight1over 9 years ago
good story

sounded a lot like real life. I had a similar type experience in real time. went back to wife, been together for 25 years. if he doesn't go back, eventually his son will come into his thoughts, along with the love he still had for his wife.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
WHICH IS HOTTER

the frying pan or the fire and do you really want to know. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Four...Because

I loved her too but she was independently loose and mischievous with the emphasis on freely flirting and enjoying the single life...her marriage didn't stop her from engaging in petty make out play time so...

Amber, too bad she isn't ready, he is the family married type and she would be perfect. On the other hand he has a vivid imagination and will never get over his flashbacks of Becky's trip to Panama, the drunk party he went to with her and watched her get groped and - of course - her spending the night fucking a guy named Kevin.

Just because she claims she grew up doesn't mean he should block out her indiscretions, not likely to happen. Her mood swings due to pregnancy and motherhood - understandable but -being freely accommodating to other men - No...too bad but she'll need to settle down with the next guy she finds she has feelings for and in the meantime - she might as well date and have sex - move on.

I have feelings for our guy, he is the kind of guy who mates for a lifetime and now finds himself having to rethink his life and hopefully find someone to fall in love with. Unfortunately, he'll always miss what he wished had been his and hers but - he knew he couldn't live a life with memories and doubting trust.

SAD!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Unlucky At Love, Or Is It Just Timing?

"They", and I emphasize they, made a mistake. Ultimately, she, maybe because mothers do shoulder not only the most physical stress, not to mention the mental stress of having a baby, and then a young child, couldn't handle it. Or maybe, she's just immature and selfish. In any event, there's no way to believe that she didn't stray in Panama City, if nothing else because of the familiarity later with Kevin, and the fact that her cell phone was "lost", with a husband, and baby at home. There weren't other phones? However, maybe she's grown up, although it's probably because she again selfishly realizes that she probably can't do any better than her husband in the long run. If he takes her back, she'll probably stray again, but it'll be ok until she needs that ego filled again that she's desirable. As for Amber, encouraging her boss, heaven knows why she's in that town, to buy him at the auction for the purpose mutually engaging in oral sex, shows what she wants. That's a relationship where it's ok if you occasionally stray from your vows to your partner, and that's hardly a basis for a long term relationship.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 9 years ago
Reasonable Story

Too bad Becky wasn't a bit more mature - they could have made it if she had stopped the divorce and went out with hubby rather than partying with a dick. I have no problem with the ambiguous ending - a slice of real life. Besides, maybe FTDS will get inspired and finish it.

OneShotOneOneShotOneover 9 years ago
he needs a new mother

But this is a slirpuff story so someone has to shit on the husband so why not his mother.

mike9698mike9698over 9 years ago
wtf is this

nobody with any sense would let their spouse go on spring break. i dont know what kind of mothers some of these authors had but damn. i had a girlfriend in high school cheat on me. my mom wanted to kill the bitch. i dont know many moms who stays friends with someone who screws over her kid.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
3 stars

which is bout the best could ever rate slirpuff tale

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
TIME TABLES.....ARE LIKE PLANES AND TRAINS

they seldom run on schedule and the destination is subject to change. TK U MLJ LV NV

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
WHY IS IT THAT THE ONES CHEATING

always have buyers remorse and want a do-over 2nd chance, TK U MLJ LV NV

calflashcalflashover 9 years ago
Steve

he deserved an entire "makeover" of his life of all females including his mother. The early childbirth was BOTH their faults not just his and Becky's failure to grow up ruined what they had esp as he was supporting her continued education. Amber was just too carrier motivated and not open to commitment

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Mistakes on both parts

But your ending was so unsatisfying that it was a letdown from what was a fairly well written story. I will say neither woman he's currently thinking about seems to be a good fit. But his thinking is so muddled that the story suffers from it.

RhomanovRhomanovabout 9 years ago
*****

Great job capturing the feel of an early life surprise pregnancy. I really wonder if Becky has grown up much and Amber, like so many women today, is career focused. That is both good and bad.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 9 years ago
Enjoyed it

a slice of life. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Expecting

I was expecting more at the end of the story, but it kind of fizzled out and just laid there.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Jeezz!

Somebody make up their mind. Many LW authors seem to have trouble reaching a climax.

krosis666krosis666over 8 years ago
She fucked a guy she 'Wasn't attracted to'

In the same house she is sharing with her still husband, because, she says, she was 'Drunk, and didn't know what she was doing'. Didn't she also say that the reason she never took his calls on spring break, was because she was drunk for 3 days? Yet she maintains that she never cheated there, when she was thousands of miles away, even thought she will make out with a guy in front of her husband, and fuck a guy in the same house as her husband, while trying to win him back? Yeah, right.

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
THOSE SCARS ARE WORSE THAN TATOOS

except the scars are deeper. TK U MLJ LV NV

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
Only Fair

He should make a choice, preferably Amber, and del mwith the distance!

I’m sorry, but married women, MOTHERS no less, do NOT go on Spring Break, ESPECIALLY without their husbands!

As others have said, if she could get so out of control with her husband right there, why is it so hard to think she could have done worse when she was hundreds of miles away, so drunk she couldn’t find her phone to call home?

Since his gym job is supposed to be “under the table”, how does he explain where he goes every night?

Back when she STARTED back to school he only had four online courses left, I don’t know how much time has gone by, but it has to be quite a bit, and he’s not done yet?

Why is he upset that Amber is with a guy? They never made promises to wait for each other, Hell, she even TOLD him to date other women!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
That's the way it's supposed to happen?

Talk about your basic clusterfuck. First off, he shouldn't believe a word coming out of Becky's mouth. Nor should he believe a word coming out of Amber's mouth. Becky's lying through her teeth. She got fucked down in Panama City and she brought her lover home during their divorce just to show him who was in control. The one thing I didn't understand during the divorce? Why not make the payments on the house and immediately put it up for sale? Even if you only walk away with a couple grand each, it's a whole lot better for your pocketbook and your credit rating then to let it go into foreclosure and kill your credit rating. That was dumb. But Steve was an idiot. Why he didn't stay at home, save some money and concentrate on work is beyond human reasoning. Advance at work and spend your spare time working out and looking for a new job FAR away. Screw family and friends. He needs to get his head on straight and the only way he's going to do it is without having Becky and Amber pulling him in different directions. Move away, get ahead and forget the two bitches. Once again a well written story takes a dump at the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
He needs help

Like many here, stick with Amber - dedicated, successful, hot, willing to be totally monogamous. Steve, will always have that 'lingering doubt' about Becky, if he's not willing to jump fully back into it then walk. [I can tell you from personal life that once the marriage 'sexual trust' has been broken it becomes a lingering doubt that never goes away! You always wonder when she will stomp you with the other foot. Make up sex is good but never last long - mine hit me at my ultimate low, just unemployed, two young sons, and a stiff mortgage {but I had no pending relationship}. She was boinking a fellow married office mate - I only stuck it out for the kids, I'm still living this mistake and now at 60 I get no booty and for the past 20yrs maybe once a year, yup I'm a dummy.]

So Steve is willing to toss Amber just to remain close to Danny, getting bribed with some booty - sorry but Steve you have an opportunity for a loving life again go for it. You'll work out the visitation details - but with a new loving monogamous real wife. Life is way too short not to move on and love! I know.

When is the sequel coming to get to the real end of the story?

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 8 years ago
GMAFB

Hubby has a young son, who lives primarily at Sweetie's house. Sweetie made some bad mistakes, but was fixing many of them when she made one more bad mistake. Sweetie regretted that mistake and took significant steps to not repeat that mistake OR her earlier mistakes. Sweetie wants Hubby back and has given up her earlier immature expectations. Son NEEDS his Dad back full time, in large part to experience modeling of an adult marital relationship.

Amber is getting closer to settling down, but is NOT yet ready for that. Hubby may NOT appeal to her when (if?) she is ready, in part because of his inability to man-up to his existing parental responsibility; and in part because of his possessiveness while in a clearly-stated non-exclusive relationship with her!

I regret that Slirpuff did not see fit to pull the Reconcile trigger (but still gave full points.) As a story, it is good and should be required reading for high-school juniors and seniors!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous