Midnight Ep. 013: tempE.R.

Story Info
Midnight's mother hanging by a thread. Threads denied!
5.3k words
4.69
3.1k
2
2
Story does not have any tags

Part 13 of the 32 part series

Updated 09/14/2022
Created 08/11/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

(This series is a collaboration with my good friend Sanchez. His ideas, I ran with it. We will see how it evolves. He has a sound concept, and characters, I'm primarily piecing it all together and seeing how it plays out. We hope you enjoy our efforts.)

____________________________________________________

MIDNIGHT Episode 013: tempE.R.

____________________________________________________

"Want us to take Midnight to Cordoba General?"

Deputy Darcy Grainger was concerned, her feminine side processing grief more than her male counterparts. Standing short at 5'5, 130 with enough in the backside to to spark interest, the brunette tried to be useful. With Nick Sanchez hobbling from his tumble to the yard in rescuing Midnight's mother Irene from certain death he simply needed answers.

"Go with the Deputy. I'll be in touch soon." Nick advised a sobbing Midnight Amador. "Your Mother needs you."

"I have a bolo out to neighboring towns to locate her father, Esteban." Sheriff Dolan Roster intervened, "Go on with Darcy here Midnight. When we find your daddy, I'll bring him to the hospital myself." Pouting at having to leave Nick she knew he was right.

Nick sharing a mind reading wince at Dolan envisioned the man's opinion that maybe Midnight's father might be involved. Earlier today Esteban had broken the land speed record past Nick's new home at Harbinger Shoal's. His Deputy's had not run across the man since, so there was always room for scrutiny. He might have been a part of this misfortunate incident, yet again it could have just been an intruder. Until Dolan had facts it was going to be a reunion of family members under dire circumstances.

"You've seen too many 80's action movies Sanchez. Barging in there being a hero is admirable if not just plain dumb."

"I wasn't going to let Midnight down. She's...not letting me down either."

"For some reason, namely her nudity and how you dealt with my nympho kid...not to mention arranging me and Caprice...I think I get it."

"Date tonight off now that this happened?"

"Can't lapse on the job Nick. She would understand, her and Midnight being chums. We have got to locate Esteban and question him on this."

"I saw blood on the floor in there. She was attacked."

"Sure, she didn't just..."

"Back of her head had blood in it. So, it was from behind."

"On my report." Herb DeWhitt joined them with his notepad. "I wouldn't put it past that drunk bastard to have come home and got rough with Irene."

"Her name is Irene?" Nick pondered, "Yeah, I guess I did know that from Tilly and Sheldon."

"Speaking of...I'll go call Tilly and let her know. She can call Mordecai."

"Mordecai?" Nick winced.

"Tilly and Irene's brother." Dolan filled Nick in, "Daddy to those Sage boys. He's got four daughters too. Busy man!"

"Ah! I don't think I've heard his name before now. What's he like?"

"Attitude from hell." Dolan frowns, "He's 100% against anyone not Santee. Some things never change. Sad to say in some circles he's as nasty as Esteban Amador. I let the Rez shut Mordecai down when he gets fussy. Better them than me." He notes Nick's limp as he paces to watch the firefighter's losing their battle with the consumed home. The thoughts on nothing left almost haunted him. In training...encouraging a better word that Midnight give up all of her possessions if she expected to be his, this was certainly a breaking point. The question was...would she lose her mind? Possibly her mother? "You need that knee looked at?"

"I'm fine. I need to go. Call me if you find her father."

"Will do."

"Oh...and don't let this stop you from your date. You have Deputy's that can get in touch when necessary."

"I tell Caprice about the fire there goes the spark she and I had earlier."

"Tell her I said...commit."

"Commit? I'm not looking to get hitched Sanchez."

"Not what I meant. She's a smart girl she will know what I mean. Nail her hard Sheriff. No mercy!" Nick left the Sheriff with a puzzled look in his eyes. The man was an enigma that's for certain. Watching Nick back down the roadway Dolan stepped over to his man DeWhitt just hanging up on Tilly Cooper.

"Tilly is on her way to Cordoba General." Herb acknowledged.

"Good. Keep this investigation under control Herbert. When Darcy's done dropping Midnight off get her ass out looking for Esteban. We both know that prick lost his head and took off spooked. Probably setting bumper down in some ditch by now."

"I'll get the boys from Londale, Combes and Pinky out scouting too. Should I rally Mayor Topsail before he goes to bed?"

"Why? Horatio can't do anything. Let the old fart get a good night's sleep. We can manage and I'll deal with him tomorrow once we have a few facts. Have Combes...drive over here and comb the property for any clues. Likely none but can't hurt."

"Right! Where are you going?" Herb got nosey, "Alexis being a booger again?"

"Always! But not tonight...least not yet. Got me a date can't be late." He already was. It was nearing 7:00 PM, Caprice Comstock had gotten off work at 6:00. It was likely she had waited and given up, heading home. A ten-minute drive to the diner his suspicion was confirmed. Lights out, nobody home.

Pulling into the parking lot Dolan Roster sighed at his misfortune. He knew how to find Caprice's trailer but wondered if he should bother. Thoughts on his late wife made him reflect to his daughter's childhood. Fond memories at first until he used to recall yelling at Alexis every time, she walked in on he and her mother having sex, ofttimes not knowing she was there until it was said and cuddling. Even growing up the kid's curiosity was a bad influence, now a young adult of 19 there just seemed like there was no hope. Her sex drive was off the charts and concerning. Lingering there with his headlights facing the diner something caught his eye. "How did I overlook that?"

A subtle exit from his car Dolan Roster takes a short walk up to the trunk that Nick had purchased from Dolan's Father at the antique store. Standing over it he notes a new lock on it. "How did you end up here?" A hesitant temptation to take the trunk he had second thoughts. If it had a new lock that meant whatever the contents in it were already removed. Grumbling under his breath Sheriff Roster left well enough alone. "Wonder why Dad didn't let me know he sold that thing?" Mainly because he hadn't noticed it missing yet. Alexis having kept Nick's money which bought that trunk another. Questions might be asked come morning. Now? "Let's go chase some tattooed tail." He was not referring to Esteban Amador. That was on his fellow law enforcers agenda.

********

Stopping at his loaned beach house to change clothes and shower Nick Sanchez tended to his knee, cleaning a small wound and bandaging it. He had endured far worse in his lifetime so a small knot on his knee meant nothing. Try getting bitten twice in one day by a pair of black mambas in the jungles of South America. If not for his buddy Marcus Jericho, he would have died. Marcus always came prepared for any occasion. Anti-Venom a necessity when in Venezuela, or as he used to call it Venomzuela, he himself facing similar from a Bushmaster and nearly dying, luckily, they were near a Medic at the time, Nick carrying Marcus to safety. Both knew the serpentine world well. Fearless even now it was just bad luck, bad timing. A strange bond grew to deep respect those days. You save me I save you!

Getting dressed in a hurry, not wanting Midnight to face things alone should her family not show immediately he snatched his keys from his dresser. Pausing to peer at the skull he found in the trunk Nick pondered yet again if he should get Dolan Roster to run tests on it to determine its age and learn how it got inside that locked trunk. With the trunk being in the antique store as long as it had, obvious superstition as to what might be inside its likely negligence on their part, it had gone unknown. Even possessing the skull in his borrowed beach house was likely cursing Nick. Still, if it was home to a wounded butterfly, it could not be all bad. Right? Shaking off his thoughts he knew it could keep.

Cell in hand Nick started his 4Runner then looked up Cordoba General on his GPS. Directions ready he at least knew how to get to the town of Cordoba some 28 miles up the coast. It was just finding the hospital once he hit town. A lengthy drive there gave Nick time to think about what he pushed Midnight into today. He could tell she was ready to be a woman by her dramatic enjoyment once she got started. Not one complaint out of her. It was certainly a sign of respect toward Nick to let him advise her so. He knew the very first time he set eyes on the awkward young beauty that she had what it took. Still, just accepting her without testing her loyalty and limits would have been a waste of time. Nick Sanchez knew exactly what he wanted. Now...after telling her "You are MINE!", if only to calm her down and give her hope, he realized he would need to follow through with that declaration.

"Day at a time Soldier. Let her be with family for now. Stand guard and observe." He almost felt like he should stop and buy flowers but that would seem...unlike him. Nope! Not going there! "Christ! You would think she was my prom date." Nick had never once gone to prom back in high school. Neither had Midnight! Maybe it was destiny!

Reaching the Cordoba city limits he found a population of 82,000 plus, a bigger town than he predicted, but if it had a hospital with a burn unit that usually meant larger town to afford it. While still not a huge town it did offer more than those villages closer to the coastline. Seeking a spot in a three-story parking garage Nick noted Deputy Darcy Grainger's squad car in a handicap zone. What was the world coming to when an officer of the law had a fake handicap sticker dangling from her mirror? Frowning, Nick parked next to her in another wheelchair painted keep out spot. If she could do it so could Nick. Nick however was smart enough to take another page from his diary and leave a note on his dash that said, "I'm with, " a drawn arrow pointing at Darcy's car. Good enough for him. If he got towed, he'd just get it out of impound. It was not as smart as he thought.

While preparing to leave his 4Runner he heard a honk behind him and checked through the doors mirror. A van was behind his bumper and being annoying, the driver a male with a deadly gaze. Opening the door Nick leered back with an equally aggressive glare.

"It takes a white man to steal a handicap parking spot. Make the crippled walk further than they need to." He shook his head then moved on up to the second floor. Nick felt badly for his mistake and decided he too should head upstairs. Ending up on top he was passed by the van going back down, the problem was, there were plenty of spots on the third tier. Nick just knew he had been suckered. Snarling Sanchez just parked, locked up and headed down the walkway rather than use an elevator. Reaching his former handicap oasis sure enough there was the van. The driver helping out an elderly woman and carefully placing her in a readied wheelchair. Passing by them Nick heard the driver say, "Just like a white man to be bluffed in cards." Nick simply let it go, he didn't need any troubles on a night such as this.

Venturing across the street and into the E.R. entrance he enquired about Irene Amador at the nurse's station. The night nurse checking him out with a beguiling smile led her to ask, "Are you family?"

"Man, who saved her from a burning home."

"Ohh? You're the Last Action Hero, Darcy mentioned. She was right you are a stud." The short haired brunette with an Olivia Wilde beauty smirked, "She's in Intensive Care. Her family is with her now. Let me ask if it's okay to allow you in."

Pushing the elderly woman inside, the Van driver shook his head at Nick halting the Nurse before abandoning her station. "Where do I find Irene Sage?" He spoke up. The man looked a lot like actor Esai Morales with a bit more in the weight department.

"Irene Amador, you mean?" The nurse paused.

"Fuck that last name. She is a Sage." He snapped. "Where is my sister? Her mother wishes to be there for her."

"Ummm?" The nurse looked to Nick wondering if she should ask the brother if he could go back with them but changed her mind. "Wait here a moment." She advised Nick. Motioning Irene's kin to follow her back through a set of double doors the nurse led them to a waiting room for family members. With Deputy Darcy Grainger still hanging with Midnight to keep her composure the nurse pulled Darcy out long enough to let the family reunite. "John McClane is out in the lobby. Should I let him in?"

Darcy smirked, "Die Hard reference. I might have to pop popcorn and invite you over this weekend for a marathon."

"Invite...Yipee ki yay!"

"I think he's out of our league." Darcy frowned and pointed toward Midnight stuck in a corner wearing only a thin brown blanket. The poor girl feared talking to her uncle, he and her Grandmother Dorothy just entering to greet her. Dorothy Sage was not the most responsive woman in the world at age 84 and half blind. "Yeah, let's hold up on that Nadine...I'm sticking around here, my gut says Mordecai is going to make a scene. Tell Mister Sanchez to hold out until Matilda gets here, she can play mediator."

"I'll keep him entertained."

"No dancing on the job." She winked. "Save that for my coffee table."

"I am off Saturday."

"I'll get back to you. We have an investigation to see through first. I'll call you by Friday." With a hug to Darcy's arm Nadine Sorenson headed back to her station to let Nick know the Deputy's recommendation. Understanding, Nick chose to find a seat in the lobby and wait.

Back in the ICU waiting room Mordecai Sage noted his niece wearing a blanket. While he should have worried for her sanity and own health under the dire circumstances, he simply glared at her with intimidation. Finally, Dorothy realized her granddaughter was present and mumbled, "Is that you Midnight?" Oh, those tears returned! Abandoning her seat, the girl knelt next to her grandmother and took her hand, the blanket slipping slightly from her shoulder to expose bare flesh, obviously no shirt or bra.

"Yes Granny. I'm here. I've missed you."

"Oh, my dear child, give me a hug." Without worry over her cloak Midnight just stood and leaned in to hold her grandmother, the blanket slipping from her left side. Seeing skin from head-to-toe Mordecai blew a gasket. So much for a loving reunion!

"Where are your clothes?" Mordecai snarled, "You disrespect our family streaking as you are."

"MORDECAI!" Dorothy raised her voice silencing him for a moment, "NOT NOW!" He bit his tongue, but his face was full of rage. "Cover yourself granddaughter. Tell us what happened."

Lifting away Midnight stood proud with blanket in hand, but her full frontal faced Mordecai. Eye contact made she did not fear him as she used to. Perhaps knowing she was under Nick's shadow kept her stronger than normal. Forcing her uncle to lower his gaze out of respect even if it was a thin veil at best. Blanket drawn over her and pulled together Midnight spoke.

"The police suspect this was father's doing."

"Of course, it was!" Mordecai hissed, "The man is evil. He should be brought down like the animal he is."

"Calm yourself Mordecai." Dorothy was not liking his anger. She had seen it since he was a child. "Let the police worry about Esteban. If he did this to my baby, he will pay for it."

"White justice? You know he will get off. They are too forgiving."

"Do not make me stand and slap you Mordecai." Dorothy was tough, he merely amused by her threat in a darkened grin.

"Mother...would have died if not for Mister Sanchez. He ran into the flames and carried her out."

"Who is this man? A fireman? Police officer?" Dorothy prodded.

"Neither! He is..." That was all she could offer, letting tears mask her wish to say my man. She knew that was not the term to use. He simply said, "You Are Mine!" which was enough for her. "Our savior." She chose to represent him appropriately. It was a fact in more ways than one.

"Savior! Bah!" Mordecai scoffed, "A firefighter would have done the same."

"They did not even try; the flames were very high Uncle. Mister Sanchez put his own life on the line for us. You should thank him."

"If Irene lives through the night...perhaps." He hissed coldly. Midnight wanted to hate him but just did not have that gene.

********

Petunia Cove trailer park...if you could call it a park due to its unlevel landscape...

"There's her mobile home." Sheriff Dolan Roster cruised through the park of eight trailers, all ready for the junkyard. "How does she live in this hellhole?" Locating Caprice Comstock's parked beater with a heater he began to pull over then noticed a Harley parked in the grass next to her trailer. "Why is Oliver Heavy Feather here if they called it quits?" He knew the make and model well having pulled the man over numerous times. Sighing he went ahead and pulled over then leaving his patrol car. Stepping up on a rotted wooden deck there was no being stealthy, creaks and screeches from nails was the best alarm system ever. A knock on her door led to a swift greeting, the door opening up fast enough to make Dolan tense that he might be attacked.

"Sheriff Roster?" Oliver Heavy Feather winced, "Why are you here?"

"Need to talk to Ms. Comstock, Oliver. Mind going to get her?"

"She ain't dressed. Give her a minute." The large Native American with tattoos all over his shirtless chest shut the door as fast as he had opened it. Dolan stood tall but uneasy wondering because he bothered to come see if she still wanted to hook up, obviously she had rekindled things with the Santee biker. Counting how long it took her to make her way from the back of the trailer, like the deck it was impossible not to hear feet walking within. She was at least in a hurry it seemed.

"Evening Dolan." Caprice looked at him with bulging eyes that looked worried. "What can I do for you?"

A quick thinker Dolan brought up bad news, "Come to tell you Midnight's momma was in a fire. I know you and Midnight are close these days."

"What? No! Is Irene alright?"

"Too early to tell. Paramedics took her to Cordoba." He studied her face for clues of stress she darting her eyes rapidly led him to believe she wanted Oliver gone. Raising his voice Dolan called out, "Hey Ollie?" Oliver stepped up behind Caprice and hugged her from behind her chest lifting under his muscular forearms. She looked haunted.

With an uncaring gaze he growled, "Yeah?"

"You happen to see Esteban Amador's car on your way here tonight?"

"I did not." Ollie looked like one ugly Dwayne Johnson. "What's that white devil done now?"

"Well, I shouldn't offer guesses, but by the looks of Irene I'm thinking Esteban roughed her up and started a fire. Prime suspect right at the moment. If you see him kindly let me know...for Irene's sake."

"Is Midnight, okay?" Caprice made it appear as if she were worried. She was!

"She's a mess. Partly why I dropped by, she's been asking for you."

"She ain't called." Oliver grew grim.

"Nope! Because I told her I'd stop by and see if Caprice here wanted to go to Cordoba and try and keep her sane. She has no one Heavy Feather."

"Caprice is busy." He growled, she was wearing next to nothing in a white lace camisole and satiny white shorts loose on her thighs. Caprice bit her lower lip afraid to resist Oliver, his grip around her waist like a vice.

"How many speeding violations you got now Heavy Feather?"

"What are you getting at Sheriff?" He winced with a suspicious look.

12