All Comments on 'Modern Day Marriage'

by StangStar06

Sort by:
  • 182 Comments
bruce22bruce22over 12 years ago
A strange story

It seems almost a pastiche... All sorts of wild characters but no depth in any of them including Travis or Betty and most of them did not sound functional as human beings. Thanks for all your hard work SS, but you have certainly done much better stories.

RHinSCRHinSCover 12 years ago
Good One

Funny in spots. I think you actually know what women are like and how they think. :) Hopefully your Thanksgiving won't involve food on the walls. If it does don't forget to duck.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
MODERN IS A TERM USED TO DESCRIBE ASSETS

to use it as a description for a relationship is OLDE TYME. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
downright

Downright silly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Holiday food fight scene

is classic. Injected a few new elements into your usual story line but deviated only modestly from most of your other tales. Not a move forward in terms of writing but a fun read nonetheless, thanks for submitting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
RandomHardon

finally got his creampie

roomfor1moreroomfor1moreover 12 years ago
Story should have been edited

I found this story difficult to read due to the grammatical errors. My feeling this story could have been quite good if more time was invested in editing it.

FD45FD45over 12 years ago
Okay

First, I hate you. Six fucking pages! Just like that! Yup, Hate! My muse barely returns my calls but you have yours locked in the fucking cellar!

Okay: The good

Out of the huge number of terribly selfish motives to cheat on a spouse while (using the Stangstar requirement) maintaining an undying love for the husband, this one seems semi plausible (though most wives her age would gladly take it a 'mere' 4 times a week)

Second, I thought I'd seen all the ways for a spouse to be caught but you caught me off guard on this one.

There was a clever bit of dialogue here and there. I had a full bore belly laugh over Melissa's strategy for finding the best Divorce lawyer and the shittiest counseler in the world. Perfect.

I liked how you described the tipping point in Travis. So many times, relationship choices hinge on that one word, that one fight, a single thing said which cannot be withdrawn. I found that very realistic. This may seem like much ado about nothing, but it stood out to me.

The Bad:

The wife reacts like pretty much every other wife in your stories. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Ditto the husband. It seems that there can't be any relationship tragedy unless both people are totally dedicated to one another and yet one cheats ruining everything. If these emotions are real, then you'd be better served by writing reconciliation stories. In fact, I found that Forever Gone, Forever You to be more plausible within that formula BECAUSE however crazy their actions might seem to 'normal' people who nurse grudges, occasionally look with lust at another person, get angry and fall out of love, THOSE two, with their crazy stupid love, engaged in actions which were sane within there world view. He loved kids with a totally selfless devotion. She loved her kids and him enough to realize they were 'better off' without her at least for a while.

So either shift your focus or mix up the formula a bit. It would be much more interesting for a woman to cheat because she wasn't stupid in love with her husband but finds out what she was missing after it was almost but not quite gone. Or a woman who does love her husband...and another guy. Oops.

Sorry to run long. SIX FUCKING PAGES! (Grabs a roll of duct tape, a ball gag and a taser) I need to go find my muse...

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Thank you

Forget your critics who probably cannot write anyway. It's a good story and well written. I am sure there are many more readers like me out here who thoroughly enjoy your work. Please keep writing.

thank you.

hawkeye0007hawkeye0007over 12 years ago
Not Logical

I gave this story a high score in the hope balancing out the negative ones. However, why the games? I don't understand why the husband did not confront his wife with her adultery when he went home after catching her in the restaurant. That point pretty much destroyed the credulity to me from that point on. I still found the story entertaining.

kieberskiebersover 12 years ago
Hmmmm

I don't know SS. This one did not do it for me at all. I am a huge fan but for some reason this one didn't keep me all that interested. I even had one of those "I'll finish it in the morning" evenings and went to bed. I have never done that with one of your stories. I hate to criticize because I enjoy your stuff so much. To me it seemed to be almost a second grade effort compared to graduate work. Sorry for that, but it's the thought that came to mind when I did finish it. But aside from this one, I still remain a huge fan and look forward to your next offering. Thank you for the time and effort you put out there for us, I do appreciate it.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR LIFE IS SECURE

before a Hurricane comes through. TK U MLJ LV NV

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 12 years ago
I gave it a 5 star

your the man.....I going to be that type of dad. I would want to put a bullet in his loser ass to......lol

nwhalernwhalerover 12 years ago
Are the sub plots in hiding from fear of this commonplace plot and 2d characters?

WTF happened to SS06?

He is concentrating on creating caricatures for his characters that he is losing track of the main plot.

The story never moved after the first revelation. The Denouement was lacking in every aspect.

The husband behaved a bit normally and the wife behaved like a moron.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I usually analyse the works I read here in my comments...

But this one doesn't need it at all.

Doesn't anybody else get it? It was just meant to be a fun read... and fun it was!

Thanks for the laughs, SS. Don't listen to your detractors, they are obviously brain-dead, and wouldn't know a light-hearted rant if they fell over it.

Very entertaining. 5 stars

Dan

dinkymacdinkymacover 12 years ago
Well,

a little different, but I liked it -- a fun read!!!!!!!! Thanks, again.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 12 years ago
Nwhaler... come on dude Geta clue

are you really THIS obtuse? It was suppose to be FUNNY....

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 12 years ago
screamingly Funny... LOVED IT ...Thanksgiving food fight LOV

How can anyone NOT love this line?

You'd think that in five hundred years, she'd have grown at least SOME titties," said her father. "I'm just saying."

Oh My God.... and then there is this.......

Betty's dad. "Boy is she hot."

"She's beautiful," said Steven.

"She's unreal, said Kevin, which earned him a kick in the shin from his wife.

"She's a fucking skank," said Debbie.

"I hate her fucking guts," said Betty.

"I'd do her," said Anastasia.

wow... since this wasnt a dead bang serious LW story one could enjoy the story and the characters. Great stuff !

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 12 years ago
A Messy but Delicious Meal err Read

Previous commentators have beaten me to the anaytic punch. My bottom line is I had a tasking day on a couple levels, read this , laughed very hard and utterly forgot my troubles.

I'm sorry the wife met a violent end but enjoyed the story too throughly otherwise, to make any kind of issue out of it . I wouldn't argue that it didn't make sense because Craig's List is a wildcard of possibilities, by it's very egalitarian nature.

Anyway, I thank the author so much for sharing. There were truly some awesome metaphors sprinkled throughout the framework of a sound story. Though comic book ummm...enthusiasts & fans of the 'other then human' genre might beg to differ .

LoneStarRiderLoneStarRiderover 12 years ago
Nice work!

Contrary to my usual pattern, I read the already-posted comments before posting.

To the naysayers: Really? First, parts of this story are absolutely hilarious (the food fight, the vampire, the geeky guys). Second: Yes, there really are people like Travis and Betty and Melissa, and the parents.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Excellent story!!!

this sounded like something on tv. it all made sense. I wonder as she was dying was she relieved or sad that she couldn't keep her legs closed. Excellent story with believable characters and plot. Great Story.

RePhilRePhilover 12 years ago
LMFAO

Brilliantly funny thanksgiving dinner. Absolutley loved the wierd cast of charators!! UDABEST!

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 12 years ago
Scary, but Harry is Absolutely Right!

This story is hilarious! Made my day - put a big smile upon my face. Kind of like something HDK would write (until, at least, the T-Day dinner scene) - and that is high praise. Stang, you are getting better and better - I remember your first stories - man, you have really progressed. I loved the Admin - Melissa rocks. Stang also wrote Betty well: no apologies, no explanation - just a selfish bitchy whore who is what she is. Well done!

Fighting41Fighting41over 12 years ago
Back to Form

A great return to form Stang quirky,funny,silly excellent

hodunkhodunkover 12 years ago
Holy Cow !

ss06 you are the best! Man I love your work! You always capture my attention from the first word thru the last. Thank you for this great stangstar06 tale. I'm waiting to see whats next.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
ROFLMAO

The food fight scene at Thanksgiving was hilarious!

SpykkeSpykkeover 12 years ago
I wish the nay sayers could see themselves for what they are...

This is piece of fun writing, nothing more. As such, it stands out as a beacon amongst the LW stories. You guys should lighten up and enjoy what is a nice piece of writing. Good job SS.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
neither fish nor fowl

If you want to write humor & satire, fine, great, hunky dory.

But this wasn't really 'Loving Wives'.

In the end, it wasn't serious enough to be LW, and not over the top enough for humor. Alas.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Jeez!

YOu lost me with the over the top behavior, outrageous cast of characters introduced at the dinner, then the food fight-its like you are writing whatever crazy shit comes into your head. If it was fun for you, fine, but this had potential to be a real good story, but just devolved into ridiculousness. YOu might want to take a little break and get rejuvenated.

SpiritogreSpiritogreover 12 years ago
Great read - as always!

The story was well written and very funny. I just love your stories!

But now to the bad parts ... The same old formula, all characters always the same gets really old. And worst in these kind of stories is the beautiful much younger secretary / assistant who loves her boss and "wanted his children" for years. I just hate that, because it is totally unrealistic and if such a woman wanted her boss, she wouldn't be a loving caring partner but is simply a golddigger! Besides if she would be such a fine woman she would'nt been single for so many years.

Sidney43Sidney43over 12 years ago
OMG

You have the gift Mr. StangStar, you made me smile and then you made me laugh. You come up with the most outrageous scenarios and dialog to put into your stories.

Good on ya mate.

kelchakelchaover 12 years ago
A Five

Dinner was very well done.

Character of the wife was poor. Just could not connect the dots with her. She was just too mercenary in her set up of her sex meetings. Such a massive character flaw could not have been hidden for twenty years of marriage. I think. For me, the emotional turmoil is increased if we can like the wife at least a little. Did not like this one.

That said, it was an enjoyable read and well worth the time taken from my day.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Fun read!

Smiled all the way through it. Good one, SS06.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Heh!

Why not? getting sexually stimulated is great, but a bit of fun is always welcome.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
5*****

I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud--but I did reading this--a couple of times.

Thanks,

tom anon

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Food Fight !

Will Stang, that's a first for LIT.

FD45FD45over 12 years ago
Kelcha

I believe that the wife's fall from fidelity was a recent thing, not an ongoing character flaw.

Maybe I treated the writing too seriously. Some parts were funny and I was amused by Betty and her father's interactions.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Another Good One

Your stories are great but how about picking restaurants that are not third rate chains.

Alberta  AlAlberta Alover 12 years ago
WOW

One of your best. It had me chuckling most of the story.

TXanyTXanyover 12 years ago
I can't believe...

that nobody picked up on the really dark side of your story. You hinted at it over and over, with fangs, vampires, cremations, castrations, dinner at Red Lobster and tatoos...then the wife mysteriously dies in a flea-bitten hotel, opposite of where she normally hangs out and nobody thinks that's wierd, including the police who seemingly ingnore the fact the husband immedately moves back home with a young hard body on his arm. We all know the police always suspect the husband first, then the new babe...but they ignored it all! Stang, we know that Mel arranged for Travis' wifes murder just so Mel could have ALL the money. She only married Travis to get it, and she is going to dump him and marry the murderer...who is obiously a very hung, young stud! So when is chapter two coming? :-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
What. The. Fuck?!?

To begin with, if Betty would "never do anything to jepordize her marriage" (your words) then why was she cheating? Last time I checked, that would constitute jepordizing your marriage.

As well, if my kids ever cheated on their respective spouses, I sure as fuck wouldn't be distraught, upset or otherwise pissed off (I'll leave that to sharia law loving asshats like yourself)

As for Betty's death? The cops never interviewed the husband or the new wife? Seriously?

This story was worse than your usual offerings and I would like to say that you have succeeded in actually writing a worse story than JPB. Thanks for wasting my time fucktard.

SKHPSKHPover 12 years ago
Normally I am a SS06-fan

But this story did not get to me! There was a promising beginning: The wife relating her rules of cheating to the reader promised an interesting plot. It seemed, that this was not the normal dumb-ass cheating wife as in some other stories. The husband supporting his young colleague seemed a nice and world-wise guy to me who could be expected to act also wisely with his cheating wife. But it turned out, that the wife was dumber than imaginable - she did not see the reason of her husband's worries when they were obvious. And the husband behaved like a little kid who could not act on his own and could not refuse his secretaries orders. But worse: the story turned to total slapstick without any believable action.

Not my kind of cake! But it was written well: 4*

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
wow a great comedy

enjoyed reading about the dysfunctionals and their attempts to be human. The only ones that qualified were Travis, Mel, and Bettys parents. Good story.

GirlintheMoonGirlintheMoonover 12 years ago
What a deliciously odd but great story.

I don't have a lot of time to leave you a proper review at the moment, so I might send you more feedback later, but I really enjoyed it. In the beginningI was really empathizing with and understanding Betty, even if I was not supporting or approving of her behavior. I don't know if you noticed it, though I'm sure you did, but you constantly referred to the husband as Travis in the beginning, never "he" or "him". To me, as I read it, it emphasized his importance in her life, his meaningfulness to her, and the love she had for him. Yeah she was cheating on him shamelessly (big thumbs down for her) but you never made me doubt her love for him, in spite of her actions. You also proved his strength by doing that, the strength that eventually came through when he was forced to make tough and life-altering decisions.

The ending was sad to me but I would imagine that was the direction she was headed. I am glad Travis was able to find happiness again with someone who truly loved him back and that he was able to piece his life back together after such a terrible blow.

Well-written, well thought out, and quite the enjoyable read. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Very Good

Hilarious, it's too bad they didn't find fang marks on Betty's neck. Great one SS06. The comedien of Lit.

BighoneybadgerBighoneybadgerover 12 years ago
Another great story!

It seems the poor Mustang was a bit of a minor character is this story but the other quirky members of the cast and the holiday food fight are classic Stangstar. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Well done SS, 5 stars all the way!

mikothebabymikothebabyover 12 years ago
to roomfor1more

Hi there, Your comment talked about grammar errors. Since I am his editor, I would be grateful if you could point out the errors to me. I am always open to constructive criticism, but since you gave no examples in your comment, I have nothing to go on. Could you email me at mikothebaby@yahoo.com with some examples? thanks very much. Kate

AnotherClosetReaderAnotherClosetReaderover 12 years ago
Only one problem.

The last paragraph. Kevin was an in-law, now divorced. Anastasia was a girlfriend, now dumped. Why did they get an invite to next thanksgiving?

Scorpio44Scorpio44over 12 years ago
Now my cheek hurts!

Reading this story with my tongue stuck firmly in cheek became almost painful as the story was longer than some SS06 stories. I enjoy stories like this one, even though the Mustang wasn't much of a player in the story. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Meh

Yeah, modern marriage follies, full of cliches. A few amusing lines but I couldn't get past the characters overall. Melissa is well done if you meant her to be a total bitch.

-Hexxed

Crixivan47Crixivan47over 12 years ago
You are the greatist

I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of your stories. This is my first comment. My speculation is that you are actually a NY Times best selling author who writes here for recreation.

Mr_BostonMr_Bostonover 12 years ago
5 Stars

Although I was looking for a good sex story, I was intrigued enough to read through without stopping. Good stuff, and great writing. You gave "pass the potatos" a whole new meaning. Happy Thanksgiving

BFG85BFG85over 12 years ago
Despite the fact Mr_Boston liked the story.

Five stars from me as well, great story and I really laughed out loud at the food fight, Good Job SS.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I'm really sorry to say this is far under your standards and already published

it's either an old story from you under another name or just so identical that it's hard to believe.

but besides that it just a really bad story with absolutely dumb characters and a dumb plot. well the idea itself not really but the work in the end.

he had a domineering wife and is now togherter with his "kid" of 24 years who is even more dominante. how this guy would have any good job is a wonder.

how old are you ? 50 or rather 60 close to 70? all reactions and cliches are out of this time. lonely rider , I'm not talking why should I do that !!!!! I'm a man. The same for the woman, I'm unhappy but why should I talk with my husband!!!!!

this work is a complete peace of shit, I guess world war 3 is close because so many think it was a good story

cueball961cueball961over 12 years ago
Chuckalicious!

I was expecting the usual, but entertaining, somebody done somebody wrong story. This was a welcome departure. It was both endearing and funny as hell at the same time. I applaud your effort Stang. And now I wonder what in hell could be in store for Christmas...

jasonnhjasonnhover 12 years ago
Quite a ride

You start out with a tour de force of the loving wife's rationalization for cheating. It is an impressively comprehensive compilation including modern society's slide to soft morals. Betty is absolutely convinced she is madly in love with her husband and that her sex on the side actions do nothing to affect that.

But it is all bullshit.

The first point of clarity comes when she makes dinner and gets dressed up. He ignores her. Her reaction to her husband who she KNOWS is very upset about something is to get angry with him, yell at him, and offer sex like she is doing him a favor. This is one self centered bitch. What did he do when she was feeling old and not very pretty? He made sincere passionate love with her. He reminded her that new and shiny things are not always the best fit with someone. Sometimes lovingly worn things are best. His car, which she recognized, and his wife both fit that category. He truly loved her and he used that love to reassure her.

When Melissa confronts Gary she says " None of them hurt her husband because he didn't know about them.". This is the fundamental fallacy of the cheating wife's rationalization. It's like Betty stabbed Travis with a very thin, very sharp knife. He didn't feel it but he started slowly bleeding to death and he didn't stop. Further, Betty knows what she was doing and it corrupted their relationship. When you deceive someone you can't help but feel a bit superior to them, "See what I'm getting away with". You lose respect for the person you are deceiving. Also, despite her rationalization, Betty has placed her own selfish desires above her husband. He wants a faithful wife. She decides he doesn't deserve one.

Betty gets released by the police and she is figuring how she can manipulate Travis to fire Melissa. She isn't concerned about Travis being upset. He'll get over it. Then she suspects that Travis is having an affair and she is pissed even though she has been fucking around left and right. In the midst of this crisis she even tries to hook up with Gary again. But then we get a bit of author schizophrenia when you write "Now that she had all of the time in the world for her dalliances, she simply had no interest in them. The main focus of her life was trying to get the man that she'd loved for over twenty back at any cost." Uhhh, really? It seems, up to now, she is spending all her time being pissed.

I have to also ask, how stupid is Betty? She knows that Travis is mad at HER. But she can't figure out why? She can't see that her cheating might have something to do with it? That Gary works at the same company as Travis and it was right after he hookup with Gary that Travis got angry with her? Is Betty really this dense not to even consider the possibility that her cheating is now known? She even has the idiocy to think "There was no room in their marriage for cheating.". Wow!

I guess my biggest complaint about this is that Betty is a blatant, transparent, and obvious bitch. She is too easy a target. With the great start it would have been more interesting to make her much more subtle.

Then the whole story becomes an insane comedy complete with a clown cast for Thanksgiving. Too funny. Steven, Anastasia, Debbie, and Kevin are an hilarious collection of losers. The Ozzie and Harriet played by Betty's parents is a funny contrast. That's it, Ozzie and Harriet meet the Adam's family and have a food fight. The big "confession" scene was almost smothered by it.

Betty's death was gratuitous. She is desperately trying to save her marriage and she is still screwing with her Craigslist guys? She was brain dead before she was killed.

And to top it off, why did Kevin and Anastasia, who are unrelated to the family, come to the last Thanksgiving? Especially since no one really likes Kevin?

It's a heck of a weird story, especially the ending which seemed to be an effort to weird out the reader. Betty had the potential to be a richer character but by the end it was a mercy that she was killed. It's hard to live when you are a moron.

katibkatibover 12 years ago
Mixed

You are among the best authors on this site and I enjoy all your work. This one, though, does not come up to your usual standard, at least for me. In the beginning, I thought you painted a sympathetic portrait of Betty; yet towards the end you turned her into a caricature of a loving wife. Her failure to perceive that her session with Gary was the cause of Travis's estrangement is not logical. Also, I think you took an easy way out of closing up the story by having Betty killed. And that Thanksgiving dinner: totally out of sync with the rest of the story. Sure, it had to happen, but why make it into a farce? It is funny, but it cheapens the total effect. On the plus side, the Gary episode seems inventive and not contrived. The editing for the most part is very good.

Saxon_HartSaxon_Hartover 12 years ago
5 stars!

This was a breath of fresh air with all the cucky bullshit on here lately! I laughed. Great job as always giving us a male protagonist who isn't a complete cunt. 5 *!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
back to your f***ed up best stang

chuckletastic !

Mostera1Mostera1over 12 years ago
I can't stop laughing

Oh my, I kept waiting for the 3 stooges to walk in and throw some pies. So sad, yet so hilarious. Very serious warning about Craigs list too. I don't think Red Lobster will be happy lol. This was classic SS06. I envy your imagination, wit, and way with words. Can't wait for the November prequel. Bless you, 'Fangs' a lot.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
yeahhh

ya lost me at the food fight. Actually by that time I was barely holding on anyway. I mean it started out okay - very selective cheating wife with clueless hubby. The date set-up worked, even the pain and outrage of cheating. The we got some behind the scenes counselling, a little legal advice. So far so good.

Then it went dully generic; hot secretary in love/lust with boss moves him into her house (and he accepts,) a stalking, loony tune soon to be ex-wife, and how about all those crazy dysfunctional family members, and - YES wait for it, wait, wait - a vampire(ohhhh.) Thank God it ended before anyone won the lottery, or joined Special Forces. Eh - not so bad.

nwhalernwhalerover 12 years ago
Everyone keeps harping on the humor part ... meh this is LW

The author is funny at times but folks try to make it out like we have another PG Wodehouse , Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams in our midst! In fact this was not subtle humor - it was puerile and crass. It didn't evoke laughter in me, merely annoyed me , especially since, at that time, I was searching for the third dimension in the characters.

Had the story been categorized under Humor, I would have given it a passable grade but this category is LW - there was none of it in the story. Had the humor been created due to the wife's interactions with her husband or her attitudes or her behavior, then it would be different.

The story too was more of the rehashed content - the husband was the same clueless guy who loved his wife to death, had a secretary/friend/co-worker (younger by at least 15 years) who loved him secretly, wife loves the husband to death but has affairs - There I have the plot of almost every SS06 story.

It is the sub plots and characterization that helps to develop stories and as someone else mentioned- this was a pastiche, a pale imitation of what good caricature stories are supposed to be - even the ghost story was better because it was fucking different and had newer scenes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
WBC got no sense of humor?

Too bad. The brevity brought by SS06 to LW makes the category bearable for the majority of readers. The cuck crowd (nwhaler, Random, huecuck and the rest) care only for the humiliation of the husband, rampant creampies and sloppy seconds. Lighten up cuckolds.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

Well, I found this story to be quiet hilarious. Vampires, wizards, food fight, good way to help alleviate the tension and hurt that Travis went through.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

The wives in your stories always feel that their marriages have become stale, SS06 so have your stories. There was nothing funny in this story.

LegionsOfLiesLegionsOfLiesover 12 years ago
Harping on me

Felt like a lot of this story was picking at me here SS, I mean my name was in it, I love video games, blowjobs from chicks with fangs and goth makeup, lord of the rings and tattoos.... Where's the love man. Well I loved the story anyway had me busting a gut with the vampire chick and unemployed wizard then the food fight was nice. (but seriously you gotta get a blowjob from a goth chick with fangs such an erotic sight to look at)

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
What great satire.

SS06, you really snuck one in with the parody of Marisa meeting Tyler's friends and Kristen's family in What You Wish For. Comparing those two scenes in my head is what made it funny. Marisa the Goth meeting the "normal" family against Melissa the Beautiful meeting Betty's family. Great job, always look forward to your next story.

ParPlus10ParPlus10over 12 years ago
Didn't Really Pull off the Melisa Character.

It could be me but I hated Melisa as much as I hated Betty. Every interaction showed her to be a bitch. Look at the way she talked about and treated Gary, someone that was important to Travis.

I think she was supposed to care for Travis but everything was always about her getting what she wanted. I couldn't figure out if she was supposed to be a sweet girl or someone devoted to the well being of Travis. Either way there was no real tenderness with her, just constant manipulation. She was just trying to get what she thought was best for her. Seemed like a young version of Betty.

The rest of the characters add some camp to the story. But overall there was little in the way of character development. And because of that I never really felt any compassion for Travis.

Not every story is going be like the same way by everyone.

But that's the great thing about StangStar. There is always another story.

Still as always better than a lot of others in this genre.

Thanks for the story.

waratahwaratahover 12 years ago
Some funny bizzare shit

Loved it, loved... it.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 12 years ago
Echo the other readers

Travis came across as a weak man. Both principle women in his life manipulate him. First Betty, and then Melissa. He knew that staying at Mel's apartment was wrong, but she makes him do it. Most men in his shoes would have problems trusting any woman -- and clearly, Mel has her own, selfish agenda -- she's not just trying to help out of the goodness of her heart. Maybe part of the satire is to portray women as entities whose main function is to provide life-support for their pussies.

Other that being a good secretary (who is young and pretty), what things do she and Travis have in common to support a relationship, let alone a marriage? Uh, well, there's sex. And he has daddy-like experience. And he has money, a good job, and is so naive, she can fool around on him and he'll never suspect -- Betty proved that. And he does what she tells him. So she'll actually be his boss.

The story was mostly fun to read. Betty's rationalizations sucked me into the story -- I wondered how her clever, secret cheats would unravel. The coincidence with Gary was original. But then the story began to unravel and it became disjointed. The food fight was too silly. At least there was a Mustang and there were references to tit measurements. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Nah, I don't think so...

I mean it was funny in places, and vaguely entertaining, but the central plot is far, far too tired and over used. Particularly by this author, who clearly doesn't have enough guts to ever confront the wife until many pages into the story.

Tell you what dude, take this six page story, edit it down to two and a half pages maximum, (given this particular plot) and you'll have an immensely more readable story. Try it. I promise, you won't regret it, and neither will your readers. It does mean a lot more work for you, but you seem to keep making the same mistake. Over and over and over again. You seem to mistaken quantity in place of quality.

And tone down the idiocy (nothing to do with intelligence or brains) of your main characters. Another big one that one.

Your male characters really need to stop running away at the slightest provocation as well. Just another pet-hate I had to throw in...

Try it man, you never know. You might surprise yourself. I speak the truth brother, and the truth will set you free!!! LOL

MissouriUSAMissouriUSAover 12 years ago
"Swing and a miss"!

Sorry StangStar06. I just didn't like the story very much. The whole "using silence as a weapon in a breakup against the slut wife" scenario is just old, tired and stale. It makes the cheated upon husband look like a weak little fellow. And seriously, his new girlfriend, Melissa, is kind of scary. He is just staying at her place while his marriage is breaking up and she is already wearing the pants in the family. He may have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with that bossy little bitch.

No worries though 'Stang". You are one the best writers here on Lit. and we'll look forward to the next one that you hit out of the park!

MissouriUSA

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
OH YEAH!

I don't know if you meant for this story to be funny but that dinner scene was awesome! I like every story you have written but this one is the best yet. Keep on keepin' on.

xtremeddxtremeddover 12 years ago
She is denser than water He is loyal and happy (was) and finds a more acceptable mate.

Stang,

Great story for Thanksgiving. Funny too. Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

fausttusfausttusover 12 years ago
E FUCKING NUFF!!!!!!!

Why does the FUCKING ASSHOLES win in your stories. MELISSA IS A PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!! Please fix this in the future. You write some great stuff.

Other then that it was a good story.

thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Holy Cow . . .

. . . did you ever change your writing style. I gave it a 5 as a parody, and I hope it's the last of these that you do. Back to your previous genre asap, please.

DP

TechRaiderTechRaiderover 12 years ago
wasnt bad

i got to agree with missouri on one thing, melissa is a scary bitch. the way you talked about her at the end of the story. she had to be the one that killed betty, just sounded a little bit psycho. enjoyed the read, cant wait for next story.

ChagrinedChagrinedover 12 years ago
Good Parody for Thanksgiving.

We all have family like this. We do hide them well, but we are all dysfunctional. Stang did a good job of showing that to us.

But,, I almost didn't finish reading thsi. One key piece is that in nearly all of his stories there is always the younger, prettier, life saver who tosses a life jacket to the drowning , heartbroken lead. Now, this is OK a few times. Now it is getting a bit ridiculous.

Actually, I would have an easier time believing Anastasia really WAS a vampire than I do that all these guys have a young, hot, perfect woman just sitting , waiting , pining away for the poor schmuck in these stories. really, guys, how many have a ready made, off the rebound relationship...that works??

Not many!

But, a great parody.

Regards

C

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 12 years ago
A whole lot of shit going on in this story, plus the antics of some real stupid people.

I loved the Thanksgiving day meal, I would love to actually see something like that happen.

A little unreal, but very entertaining to read, humorous in parts and sad in others, just an all around good read.

I was wondering when Mell was going to have her first child?

Thanks for the very special Thanksgiving Day story .

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Quite terrible

This is possibly your worst story to date, it was filled with unlikable characters and was also boring. Mel seemed like a real cunt and was either crazy or a stalker the way she talked to Gary would have hopefully meant that he would have planned to either rape or kill the gold digger bitch.

The end was crap and it feels like you've used that kind or ending before.

All in all absolute shit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Get a grip, folks...

Whether this was an excellent StangStar story, or not, the fact is that he keeps turning them out - and most of you that are carping about "flaws" in the narrative have never produced a single tale worth publishing. This may not have been the greatest tale that the Stangster has penned, but even the pros (like Vince Flynn, Ted Bell, Clive Cussler, and others) have surely had their "off days" and thus produced stories that were "less memorable" (to put it charitably) than others they've written.

Now, to the "Anonymous" schmuck who believes that only "...Sharia law-loving asshats..." would be outraged at a son or daughter who cheated on his/her spouse: I believe that you obviously didn't think the situation through completely. If the spouse was faithful and loving, the cheating would surely cause pain, and that's not a thing to be inflicted on anyone, if it can be avoided. Most of us raise our children to know things like that. Either you have no children, or you were a terribly miserable excuse for a parent!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
BOOOOOOORINGGGGGGGGG

...

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I loved It

Anastasia was so FUUNNNYY, you should make a story about her and Kevin :)

demantoiddemantoidover 12 years ago
Fun read.

Theatre of the absurd. Great and enjoyable drama. Thank you for a good yarn!

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 12 years ago
No shit??????

You had one with this one didn't you ROFL -

A ton of fun by the end - a bit painful during most of it - sorta like being in the delivery room - a lot of grimace and pain then joy - LOL-

Lewy123Lewy123over 12 years ago
Great!

Haha really enjoyed thisp, not very believable but who cares? Shoulda been in humor tho...

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
A good read!

Funny story loved the food fight

1Thinkingman1Thinkingmanover 11 years ago
Functionally disfunctional

This had me laughing my ass off. This was no ordinary family. Every player was a caricature of a real person. And one tragic episode changes all of them. Too funny. I gave this ***** for humour.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
TV family

They should have made a TV sitcom out of this families life. Too damn funny. But I wonder if Melissa had something to do with Bettys death.

cliffhanger20cliffhanger20almost 11 years ago
NO SCORE

If you can't say something good about something, just don't say it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Wondering...

Why the hell kevin showed up. He isn't part of the family now that he and debbie are divorced and yet there he is. Just makes no sense. Good story though. It earned a 4 from me. Keep up the great work. JB

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
the slut deserved misery

not a quick death

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333almost 11 years ago
Loved it

Actually a fitting ending that mirrors real life. Very well written. I truly enjoyed this one. Five stars.

krosis666krosis666over 10 years ago
Great story, but...

The ending just seemed very rushed in the extreme. It felt like Stang just got bored with it and wanted it finished.

BfreetorunBfreetorunover 10 years ago
The whole Thanksgiving Day thing was hilariously funny.

Stang, no doubt, wrote the whole story more or less tongue-in-cheek. Betty had so many hilarious thoughts and comments.

hmlralhmlralover 10 years ago
Well now!

Occasionally you write a good story. This was one of those occasions.

Thank you.

Luke

phil2213phil2213about 10 years ago
Fun story of course with the exception of Betty's murder.

Not much to say except the ending was rushed. All in all, a great story with a lot of tongue in cheek humor. Thank you Stangstar06!

KarenEKarenEalmost 10 years ago

"In her mind, all it did was to spice up her relationship with her husband." It never occurred to her to work WITH her husband to spice up their relationship? I know she mentions him be tired, or something, but I think he's rather she "bothered" him than cheat on him!

And then later she says that if HE was cheating she'd claw the other woman's eyes out, and rationalizes that SHE'S not having an affair, so it's different!

Seeker1107Seeker1107almost 10 years ago
rushed

Story had so much potential but at the end she was so involved in trying to get her husband back that she got killed by her hookup. Totally rushed, and as everyone is asking, why the he'll were Kevin and Anastasia there at the next Thanksgiving? loved the part where Anastasia says she could have brought her back.

In the end it is your story and I like 90% of them but this one had a plethora of potential but fizzled at the end.

Keep writing,

Seeker

rightbankrightbankabout 9 years ago
You have to be better read than I am to keep up with all the side references SS06 throws into the mix

But it is always fun when you catch a glimpse of the humour that often slides in sideways.

Betty was , how do you say it politely, oblivious, obtuse, or just emotionally stupid?

It wasn't till almost Thanksgiving that I realized she was a floozy masquerading as a mother. Melissa had more patience than I to cohabit with the lust of her life and not seduce him. And I do not understand why Kevin and Anastasia were kept in the blended family at the end. As humourous as the son was, the daughter was noticeable by her absence.

a small, but niggling question bothers me. I Betty had no interest in seeing other men while she was trying to get back with her husband, why did she keep calling Gary for a date?

"Betty had also tried calling Gary. He also refused to take her calls. That had surprised her. Even when she hinted that she might be interested in a repeat performance, he hung up on her. It really didn't matter to Betty. He hadn't been very experienced in bed anyway. She'd only intended for him to be a one night stand. She just hadn't had a chance to find someone else."

"But since Travis left her, she hadn't gone out once. Now that she had all of the time in the world for her dalliances, she simply had no interest in them. The main focus of her life was trying to get the man that she'd loved for over twenty back at any cost.

????

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous