All Comments on 'My Valentine From the Past'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
A_BierceA_Bierce4 months ago

Afraid I'm too old for my Ronny, but wouldn't it be loverly? You're the master of love stories (among other stories).

SmuttyandfunSmuttyandfun4 months ago

Sweet story. Nicely done.

Comentarista82Comentarista824 months ago

I will leave a full review later, but needless to say you will have my vote once voting opens up, and I will be rooting for you to win this contest. As usual, this story was touching sweet and well done and so many ways which I will specify later. Thank you so much for submitting and sharing with us.

technofrog2002technofrog20024 months ago

That was well written and flowed perfectly. I’m invested in the characters to the point I hope they do get married

WalterWoodyWalterWoody4 months ago

Excellent! I need a Ronnie like her.

stockingnutstockingnut4 months ago

Nice story. I love the reference to her nylon encased legs.

Comentarista82Comentarista824 months ago

I must say that I really appreciate how well you write your story in grammatical terms, and how well you transition between parts; I never have to worry that somehow you're going to stop the reading flow with a comma splice or run-on, like I saw very prevalent in another author's entry! It's just wonderfully buttery- smooth, and I appreciate the extra effort you've gone into making that happen. It was also exceptionally well-balanced, because I distinctly remember getting to the end of page one and thinking oh wow! If he keeps going like this, it's going to be a perfect balance between pages one, two and three. That's exactly what it was! In fact, you balanced the development between the initial mystery of the notes; you balanced the time with getting to know Veronica and why she did it; you wrapped it up nicely with getting them together, and finding out more than enough about each other to make a go of the full relationship! The only thing or things that I would change- - and they are exceptionally minor - - is that there were two remarks that both Mark and Veronica made, were they were clearly into each other and also had clearly determined they were equally interested... but they make remarks indicating that they're still not sure. At that part of the story, it was definitely out of place, but certainly not anything that's is worth deducting for. The other part is mentioning about the kids having something to say, although the kids at this point are already fully grown and out of the house, meaning that it doesn't matter one tinker's damn what they think, because it's strictly up to their mother. Certainly if they were still in the house and growing up, then their opinion would matter. The only other thing I will say is that there would probably be some people that might object to Veronica being perhaps too forward: in reality, she was perfectly balanced, because as my mother would have said, there is nothing unladylike about a woman being direct with a man (and she was saying that in the 1990s). In fact, they're still far too many females that think flirting is sufficient to somehow ensure the guy knows that they're interested. If you go to YouTube and watch any of Courtney Ryan or Olivia Alexis' videos, you'll find that they point-blank tell the women to be direct with the guy: if you want flowers, tell him! That is exactly what they say. So Veronica just still comes off as very feminine, yet being assertive enough to show that she wants the relationship to continue to progress, and that is such a beautiful thing - - even something that still lacking in society by and large! In fact, it's a very universal desire that you tapped into, that of having the woman be at least moderately assertive in the relationship, because there's nothing wrong with the woman saying what she wants and trying to make sure that okay this guy is worth it. It's also very universal that people will have some reservations after having a bad relationship.. or even having a good one, because can you ever replace the person you lost? There has to be something different enough about the next person you date to make you feel like okay, I can give this a chance and feel like this has a chance to work also. I will close with the following reflection: that I love how you base more of this Romance far more on the content of the character than their looks; it's not that one or either is ugly, but it's playing that Mark isn't exactly a an Adonis, and it's obvious that Veronica isn't a fitness model either! However, my point is that they are still both attractive to each other, and that is exactly what matters - because at the end of the day it has to be how the person is- - not how they look that sells the idea. So that was probably the biggest Universal connection you made, something that my evaluators always looked for in anything I wrote, and that certainly something that I always look for.

***

I could leave some other comments, but in the spirit of not risking overkill, I'll leave this here and say that I'm very much rooting for you to win this contest, because this is an exceptionally well written piece that deserves first place. In fact, I'm surprised that you haven't already won several since you return, because your things are consistently the best written pieces put out on lit! So for purposes of this piece, you have without a doubt earned a hands-down 5, and once voting is up and ready, I will be voting for you and rooting for you to win this contest! Well done. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

funperson969funperson9694 months ago

Excellent! I liked the mellow pace and humor. Thanks for a good read.

Ravey19Ravey194 months ago

One of the masters here at work.

Lee2012Lee20124 months ago

Another great one, and dude keep the humor in all your works!! Adds “Gray Poupon” to the subject. Great dialog and the cards? Love addition of these. Following you with 5 *

I’m a history buff as well, the my degree in Computer Science

J6480J64804 months ago

Very good mate. Credible, enjoyable and a nice take on an old problem. Keep em coming

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy4 months ago

Another delightful story!

5

stewartbstewartb4 months ago

Lovely story ... sometimes a man needs what a woman shows him he needs.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

I think the same thing about this story as I do about all your stories, that they are so wonderfully written. I have not read them all but I have read a quite a few. Thank you for sharing them.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Brilliant story, very much enjoyed it! Best I've read for a very long time. Thank you.

EricaDoesNowEricaDoesNow4 months ago

Lovely!! Perfect Valentine story!

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Lovely story

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

This author is prolific and clearly one of the most talented on this site. That said, the categorization of women into different types really struck me wrong. Not only is it unfair and inaccurate but since it is presented as the opinion or perception of the main character, it makes it harder for the reader to identify with him or see him as sympathetic. Some of this author’s stories are great, even impressive, but not this one, at least not for me.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Simply wonderful, 10 stars! If Ronnie was a little younger, she and her husband, Mark, could make some babies... The waitress in the restaurant was right, they're just like a married couple!

Hiram325Hiram3254 months ago

Excellent, well done!

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Wonderful story! 5 stars, but that was kind of a given since it was a ronde story. People who object to binning things and people find some sympathy with me, yet life makes one triage quickly or time simply gets away. There may be exceptions to the binning, but without spending the time trying to find them, they're not visible. Binning is not the same as stereotyping, it's taking identified characteristics (obviously defined by the binner), and grouping accordingly. Frequently people who do that get it wrong, but that's their problem. Notice that Mark had improperly binned Ronnie, and the whole story is about him changing his binning of her. Again, well done!

Russ43ChandlerRuss43Chandler4 months ago

Well done and 5 stars from me. Sweet and just what I neede now. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

5 stars, loved the story!

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Very well done. Nice easy read.

SatyrDickSatyrDick4 months ago

[29.01.24]

Que Kawaii und Romantique!

11/10!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Loved it, well done

Peapod41Peapod413 months ago

Another gem from your pen. ( Well, word processor, laptop, or tablet, but they don't rhyme with

gem. Middle stage romace is hard to write, but you do it do well. Flawless, really!

Buccaneer73Buccaneer7313 days ago

you have "the touch". great work.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...

SIMILAR Stories