Ne'er Do Well

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Garrett frowned. He would, indeed, like to have the land back again. He just wondered what the Godfrey's thought a reasonable sum was and how they planned on fucking him if he did the deal. What he said was, "Well, I might be interested, but I'm sure you know I don't have a nice high paying, full time job. I just do a little crop farming and take care of some rental units for GKM Properties. That and my pay from the guard keeps food on our table. Kathy barely breaks even here in the café and store."

"We thought of that and I think I have a way you can make the purchase and reunite that little plot of ground with the rest of the family farm. Land around here is selling for an average of $2,500 an acre without improvements. We would be willing to sell you the 20 acres for $46,000 and we would carry the loan with no down payment. You could make payments directly to my property management company. We would set the loan up to amortize over ten years. Principle and interest payments would be about $534.10 at 7% per year. Of course, the note would balloon after three years and the unpaid balance would be due and payable immediately unless we negotiated another loan. What do you think?"

"I don't know. I really don't want to make that kind of loan. What if I couldn't pay it off in 3 years?"

The elder Mr. Godfrey smiled and said, "Oh, nothing earthshaking, I'm sure we could work something out, and just think, you would have the whole farm back together. Of course, we would need collateral in order to make the loan. We would want the balance of your land put up as collateral for the deal. That's how we can make the deal with no down payment."

"No pre-payment penalties? What if I am late or miss a payment?"

Godfrey elder laughed and said, "Heck, we're neighbors, a day or two late is no big deal and if you miss a payment, you just have to pay a little penalty and make it up as soon as you can. And there would be no problem with paying off the loan early. If you can come up with that kind of money we'll be glad to take it." Both of the Godfrey men laughed after he said that and smirked at Garrett.

"This really sounds too good to be true, but I would like to have the old place all together. Let me talk to Kathy. Hold on just a minute would you?"

Both the Godfrey's smiled and Godfrey, Sr. said, "By all means, talk to the little woman. If you can't make a decision without her input, I understand completely. Not all men are able to transact business without permission. I understand."

Garrett felt a surge of anger at the insinuation but smiled and said, "Thank you, I won't be long."

Garrett went into the kitchen and quickly told Kathy what the Godfrey's were offering. He said, "I would really like to have the land all back together and I can use the extra cropland, too. Besides, I think this is a chance to stick it to those assholes. I'll get them to write into the contract that we can prepay the note, then, instead of letting them carry the note on the place we will give them a check when the deal closes. That'll screw them out of the interest and the land. I think this is an attempt for them to steal the rest of the farm because they don't have any idea we have money. They think I'll default on the payments because I only work part time and then they will have the rest of the old farm."

"Sounds good to me, honey. If you want to do it, go for it. How will we get it into GKM with the rest, though?"

"Hell, we'll just buy the land then do another quit claim deed and deed it over to GKM. It will cost a little more but shouldn't raise any real questions. Hell, in fact, when we pay him with a cashiers check we'll tell him I resold it to GKM for a quick, large profit. You know I've been wanting a new truck, I'll tell him I sold it to them along with the other land so I could have the money to buy a fancy truck. With my reputation I'm sure he'll believe it and I'm also sure he'll be royally pissed he lost out on the supposed big payday. This is going to be great."

Garrett came back to the table and looked worried. The Godfrey's became scared the pigeon had flown the coop. Garrett said, "I just don't know. Kathy really doesn't think we can afford the payments and she doesn't think we need the extra land. She says I don't take very good care of what I have and she doesn't want a larger stone around our neck."

"Well, now, maybe we can work something out here. Don't give up. What if we, say, drop the price to $2,000 an acre and raise the interest to 8%, then drop the loan length to 8 years. We really need to keep the monthly payments around $500 because that is what Geoffrey needs to even out his budget. This would be a great deal for you then. You get the land for hundreds less an acre than it's worth and only have to pay on it for 8 years before it's yours free and clear."

"Wellll, Ok, but Kath's gonna be pissed at me. I'll see if grandpa's attorney will write up the deal for us."

"OH, don't bother with that. I have a generic real estate contract out in my car. We can fill in the blanks and use it, no problem." He turned to Geoffrey and said, "Run out to the car, son, and get my briefcase so we can finish this deal."

Mr. Godfrey completed the contract faster than scat, signed it, and then turned the pages over to Garrett for him to sign. Garrett read the contract and started to sign, then, feigned reluctance, and said, "I don't know. I really think I should have gramps lawyer look at this. I mean, it says here that if I miss a payment or am late, you can take back the land and my collateral as damages. That's not what you said would happen."

"Oh, don't worry. See here? That's where it says you can make a late payment if we all agree, and over here it says you can pay off early like you asked about. It's no problem. That language is in all contracts but it's only there for legal reasons."

"Well, ok, but just the same, I'll have gramps lawyer look at this. Can I call you in a day or two to set up the signing and so forth?"

"Well, I suppose if you're afraid, we can wait a couple of days but this deal might not last. I mean, if someone else should want to buy the land and make a better deal for us we would have to take it."

"I understand. I'm sure I'll sign this paper but I have to be sure you know?"

As soon as the Godfrey's left, Garrett called Mr. Douglass and made an appointment to see him about the contract. He got an appointment for the next morning.

After Mr. Douglass looked the contract over, he said, "I'm sure glad you didn't sign this. The only good thing about the whole contract is the clause where you can pay off the loan early."

"That's the thing I'm interested in. I plan to screw Mr. Godfrey like he screwed Bea and tried to screw me. He thinks he can use this deal to steal the rest of our farm, I'm positive. I intend to get the land he has back at almost $1,000 less an acre than it is worth plus screw him out of the interest he thinks he will make until I default on the loan. I intend to pay cash for the land the day we do the deal. I'll sign the papers, then after they're signed, I'll hand him a certified check for the entire loan balance and force him to acknowledge the prepayment. He loses the land, the interest, and, hopefully, his temper because I'll make the payment from GKM and tell him I resold the land to them for $3,000 an acre because I wanted to buy a new pickup. He has no idea what our net worth is and he'll think, and hopefully during his rants, spread the rumor that the ne'er-do-well sold the family farm for a new pickup thus strengthening my ne'er-do-well reputation."

Douglass looked the contract over once again. He said, humm a time or two, made a couple of notes and then said, "I think that will work. I assume you want me at the closing and to help with the paperwork?"

"Yes, of course. Shall I call him now and see when we can complete the deal?"

After Garrett answered him, Mr. Douglass leaned back in his chair and said, "You know, I worry about your insistence on being known as a ne'er-do-well. You are a very well to do man and you give everyone the idea you don't have a pot to piss in. You hold a commission in the National Guard and are a company commander, a position of great trust and responsibility, and yet, you let everyone think you are just a common soldier. Why do you do that?"

"I don't know really. At first, I was just that, a ne'er-do-well with no particular drive or goal in life. I got a kick out of living like I wanted to live with no discernable income. It drove the busybodies crazy and I loved it. Now, it's just become a habit mostly. I also don't want to seem as if I am bragging. What am I supposed to say? Hey, guys, I really have several million dollars in the bank and in properties and I'm a Captain in the Guard. You need to bow and scrape for me, now."

"No, but you hold a position in the Guard and community that you should be proud of and you hide it. That just doesn't seem normal."

"I am proud of my position but again, I don't want to brag. Those who need to know about my personal life, do. Those who don't need to know, don't. At least now I know the friends I have are friends because they like me, not because they like my money or position."

After saying that, Garrett made the call and smiled while he was talking to Godfrey, the elder. Garrett said, "Mr. Godfrey, my lawyer says this is a really bad contract for me but if I insist on signing it he can't keep me from it. I really, really want that land so I'm going to do this. He did say the deal said just what you told me it did so we'll do it. That's why I'm calling. Can we sign the papers at my lawyer's office tomorrow?"

"Well, now, I can't get away from the office tomorrow but if you just wanted to come by here and sign the papers we can do that. I do a lot of my contracts right here in my office."

Garrett looked over at Mr. Douglass and he nodded his head yes. Garrett said, "Ok Mr. Godfrey, We'll be there about ten in the morning. Is that ok?"

"Great. We'll see you then." Garrett heard Godfrey laughing before the phone completely disconnected.

The next morning went as Garrett hoped it would. He, Kathy, and Mr. Douglass entered the Godfrey's offices just before ten a.m. They were ushered into Godfrey's office where he and Geoffrey were waiting with smiles on their faces. They did frown slightly when they saw Mr. Douglass but couldn't say anything.

Before anything else transpired, Mr. Douglass pulled a recorder from his briefcase, turned it on, and said, "It is the policy of my office to record all our meetings so we can each be sure of exactly what is said and agreed to. Is it ok with you for us to record this meeting and closing?"

"Well, that's, uh, not our normal procedure here. I really..."

"I'm afraid that really is non-negotiable, sir. I must insist."

"Oh, ok," Godfrey, SR. said with ill grace, "If you feel you have to."

Mr. Douglass set the recorder on the table beside him and pulled the contract from his briefcase and handed it to Godfrey Sr. He said, "I have advised my client that this contract is extremely one sided in your favor and that he shouldn't sign it but he insisted on doing so. I am here only to facilitate the arrangement, so, if you would please review this contract which I am told you completed to verify there have been no changes, we can complete our business here."

"Fine, fine. Just let me look this over. Umh, hum. Umh, hum. Yes, this is the contract I filled out for Mr. Mans a couple of days ago. I see it still has my signature on it, so If Mr. and Mrs. Mans will sign we can finish the deal."

"Well, there IS one small detail. I notice your son Geoffrey has not signed the contract and my research shows he is the owner of the property in question."

"Well, technically that is true but my company manages all the family holdings. I am President of the company so I normally sign the business documents."

"I understand, and that is your prerogative, however, the property owner must sign the documents also or you must present a power of attorney authorizing you to sign for him. I must insist. That is, after all, the legal way to do this."

The Godfrey's glared at Douglass and the Elder thrust the contract to Geoffrey. He snarled, "Here, sign the damn thing over where I signed."

Godfrey, elder, turned to Douglass while Jr. was signing and said, "The signature block clearly showed I was signing for Geoffrey. I assure you this is perfectly legal."

Mr. Douglass smiled and said, "Humor me. Now we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is a legal contract."

Geoffrey pushed the papers over to Garrett and Kathy and smiled as they both rapidly signed the document. Godfrey, Sr. quickly grabbed the signed contract and said, "Thank you. I will have my girl send you your copy in a week or so. Now, I'm afraid I have another appointment so I have to ask you to go."

"I'm sorry, but we need our copy of the contract now, then there is one further thing we have to take care of here before we go. I do want to verify there is no prepayment penalty to this deal and that Mr. Mans can pay off the loan to you at any time he wishes. Is that correct?"

"Yes, of course. It says he can right in the contract. He can pay the note off in full at any time he has that much money." Both Godfrey's laughed and turned away from the three on the other side of the desk. Godfrey, Sr. thrust the documents at his secretary and said, "Here, make everyone a copy and be sure we each get two copies and an original. Hurry, I have another appointment."

After the secretary returned and distributed the papers Godfrey stood and started for the door. As he was walking away from the table, he said, "Now, I really have to get to my next meeting. I'm sure Darla can show you the way out."

Mr. Douglass said, "Not so fast please. Mr. Mans has already sold this land and wishes to pay you in full now to clean up this loan so he can make the transfer to the next purchaser of the land. I need you to take his check and give him a receipt for the purchase price then mark the contract paid in full."

"WHAT! You can't do that! The deal was we would carry the loan and you would make payments to us. We never said you could resell the land. No, this won't do."

"Mr. Godfrey, I must insist. I have here a certified check from RKM Properties, LLC's bank for the balance of the loan. They have paid off the note to you for Mr. Mans so he can complete the sales contract to them. If you would please prepare a receipt for this check and mark the contract paid in full, then we can leave and let you get to your next appointment. We'll take care of filing the deeds and other paperwork so you don't have to bear that expense."

"No. I won't do that. This is not the deal we made earlier. If RKM wants this land they can come to me and we can work a deal."

"Sir, they cannot come to you. You do not own the land in question, nor, now, does your son. My client does and he has sold it. Need I remind you this conversation is being recorded? The recording is admissible evidence to support a breech of contract suit in a court of law should that become necessary."

The Godfrey's glared at Garrett and Douglass then Sr. hissed, "You sons of bitches." He grabbed a receipt book and filled out a receipt, then wrote paid in full on the contract. He made copies and threw the originals at Douglass and said, "Get your crooked asses out of my office."

As they were leaving, but before they were out of hearing, Garrett wrapped his arm around Kathy and said, "I think that was the easiest $20,000 I've ever made."

They heard something heavy slam into something solid and Sr. screamed, "FUCK. God damn those sons of bitches."

Garrett and Kathy wanted to let the town know how they fucked the Godfrey's but decided that really wasn't a good idea. They did, however, tell everyone he made a good deal on the old home place's 20 acres and got enough to put a 50% down payment on a new pickup. Of course the rumors abounded and everyone knew, if Garrett wasn't lying, that the Godfrey's missed out on a good deal for Garrett to be able to do that.

Garrett cleaned up the mess from the burned house and began farming the tillable ground. He kept on fishing nearly every day during the season. As winter approached, Garrett let hunting fill his free time as seasons changed and game came into season. From time to time one of the locals would comment about his life, usually to the tune of "I just don't know how you can afford to sit around the cafe and hunt and fish like you do. Hell, I can barely make ends meet working from daylight to dark."

Garrett would just grin and say, "Well, my Gramps taught me how to relax and enjoy life. I don't have a lot of needs and very few wants so we do ok. I make a buck here and a buck there, and then I take time to spend them and enjoy life. I guess things will get a little tight when the kids grow up and go to college if they do, but heck, right now we're doing just fine."

Some of the local citizens, usually the busy body church biddies, would comment, many times in the hearing of a Mans family member, that it just didn't seem right that a ne'er-do-well like Garrett and his family had such an easy appearing life and they didn't. After all, their husband worked his fingers to the bone and they just got by and Garrett only screwed around, worked part time, and lived as well as they did. He was just like his ancestors, live in that old bank and watch the workingman work while he loafed. No, it just wasn't fair at all.

CHAPTER 11

For several years a nice hotel on the outskirts of Neosho had been struggling. At one time it was a Ramada Inn. It had 80 rooms, a large lobby, cocktail lounge and large restaurant with an indoor pool and hot tub. In short, it was a typical Ramada full service hotel. It didn't do well enough to keep the Ramada name so a local name change occurred but, for some reason, the hotel continued to slide into failure. Eventually the owner closed the hotel and tried to keep the cocktail lounge and restaurant going but eventually, they, too, closed. The building and nearly a city block lot went up for sale.

Many times as Garrett and Kathy drove past the beautiful brick building (which still looked great on the outside) he would comment about the potential of the old building. One day he said, "I don't understand why someone doesn't buy that old building and convert it to apartments and retail space. They could put a convenience store and gas station in on the corner and use the lobby for the station. I think a small limited restaurant and bar would be a killer moneymaker, too. I mean, you have a captive audience from the apartments. Hell, you could even leave, say, 20 rooms for rent as a motel and if they didn't rent you could always convert them to apartments as well. Sixty rooms out of the 80 converted to apartments, say, ten two bedroom apartments and 20 one bedroom apartments would leave the 20 rooms to rent either by the week or as hotel rooms.

"Being conservative, the apartment rentals if the building was fully rented would come to about $17,000 a month. It would be hard to tell what income you could generate from the bar, restaurant, convenience store, and fuel sales but I am sure it would be pretty good. If the owner didn't want to operate the businesses himself he could put a reasonable rental on the space and, say, take a percentage of the gross or profits. I really think that would be doable."

After he stopped talking, Kathy said, "Well, it seems to me as if either you are the only one with that vision for the building or there is something that stops others from doing it. It has been on the market much too long for some reason. I think you need to put your money where your mouth is, or at least check on the possibility."