Ne'er Do Well

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They were stopped at the traffic light beside the building when the conversation took place. Kathy grabbed her note pad and a pen and wrote the phone number of the agent down. As Garrett pulled away from the now green light Kathy made the call to the listing agent. When she told him what she was calling about, you could hear the change in his voice. He almost begged her to meet him there. He said he could be there immediately if she could.

Kathy looked over at Garrett and said, "Honey, the agent says he can come meet us at the hotel right now if you want to do it. He sounds really anxious here."

Garrett sighed and said, "I suppose we could. We have all day and our errands won't take long. Ok, but I still think something is wrong or the building would have sold before now. We need to be damn careful with this."

Garrett and Kathy found out the hotel was in an estate and the executor was anxious to get it sold so they could finish closing out the estate. It was listed for $1.3 million, marked down from $2.7 million. When he heard that, Garrett grinned at Kathy and said, "Well, that is a little steep but I might be interested if things work out. Of course, we need to do our due diligence and I need to go over the building carefully to see what repairs and upgrades are necessary. Could we have the keys or do you want to be with us while we inspect the premises in more detail?"

"Well, I thought that was what we were doing here today?"

"No, today we are looking at the property to see if we MIGHT be interested in it. I think it is safe to say we are but I need to know how much more I will have to spend to get it in rentable condition if we purchase the building."

"Well, how long do you think that will take?"

"I'm not really sure. I think I can have my inspection completed in three or four days if I have access to the building."

"Oh, I can't spend that much time here with you. I'm sorry but that just isn't possible."

"Well then, I suggest you find someone to stay with us during the inspection, let us in unsupervised, or we will have to pass on the deal. I sure don't want to buy a pig in a poke here. I have no idea what condition things are in if I can't give the building a thorough inspection. I am exceedingly reluctant to make any kind of offer until I know the condition of the building. Of course any offer would be contingent on the seller presenting a clear title and either repairing serious defects or making a cash allowance for them."

"What would it take for you to make an offer right now? My seller is really interested in selling this building. As I stated earlier, this building is in an estate and must be sold so the executor can close out the estate. The seller is extremely motivated."

"Let my wife and I talk for a few minutes and we'll see. I'm not promising anything. You do realize we are just inspecting the premises for our employer? If we recommend a purchase, the purchase will be made by RKM Properties, LLC if we do the deal?"

"That's no problem. Why don't I just walk over here and let you two talk for a few minutes? If it would help, I would be glad to discuss this building with someone in the office of RKM Properties."

"No, that won't be necessary. We have authority to negotiate and sign contracts for the business."

Kathy watched the agent walk off then turned to Garrett. She said, "What's on your mind? You surely aren't thinking about making an offer until we look in every room and see what condition they are in. We don't even know if the heating and air work or the condition of the roof or anything. All we know right now is the public areas of the building aren't trashed."

"Well, we know a little more than that. I walked into the rest rooms near the bar and café and they're pretty run down. They'll need a complete make over. The décor of the restaurant and bar is pitiful as is the lobby. The pool area has an unfinished plain concrete floor with painted cinder block walls. I don't see any evidence of roof leaks in the public areas. I think we need to make an ultra low ball offer, then if it's refused we threaten to walk away again if we can't get in to do an in depth inspection."

"Ok. You're the boss here. What number were you thinking?"

"Oh, I thought I would hit him with a half mil. If they refuse and counter, I will go as high as three quarters."

Kathy laughed and said, "You asshole. We could completely strip the interior at that price and come out ahead. Go for it."

When the agent saw the couple walking toward him he smiled and said, "Well, shall I put in the offer at the asking price? I assure you that the building is a steal at that price. You couldn't build this building back for less than about $4 million."

"Well, we will put in an offer but not for that amount. Since you won't take the time to let us inspect the building fully and in detail we are only willing to pay $500,000. Put that in an offer with possession at closing and we will give it a whirl. Of course, we will need a title search to be sure we get clear title and so forth as normal. We also need termite inspections and the general inspections normally done on transactions. You can get with Kathy here for the exact wording on the contract. She is an agent for another agency so knows about that part of the business."

The agent's face fell and his smile disappeared when he heard the offering price and that he would be dealing with another real estate agent. He gamely pulled his papers from his briefcase and began filling them out though. As he did so he said, "I really don't think the executor will take this offer. It's almost insulting. In fact, I have to tell you I will advise him not to accept."

"Well, you will both do what you have to do but need I remind you this property has been on the market now for three years? I'll wager we are the first people to make an offer of any kind in that time."

After the papers were signed Garrett and Kathy continued running their errands and the agent went to get a reply to their offer.

Two days later, Garrett received a phone call from the agent. After the normal pleasantries, he said, "Mr. Mans, the executor agrees with me on the price you offered for the motel. He refused it but he did make a counter offer. He will let the place go for one million dollars even."

"Nope, not gonna happen. Tell you what. I think I may have low-balled you a little. I'll raise my offer to $600,000."

The agent spluttered a little then said, "That just won't do. I'm sorry we couldn't do business."

"Yeah, me too. Tell your principle if he wants to be reasonable my offer will stand until I receive a signed refusal or for three weeks."

The next Monday Garrett received another phone call from the agent. This time he was so obsequious it almost made Garrett's skin crawl. The agent said, "Mr. Mans, congratulations, you have purchased a motel if you will agree to just a small price increase. The executor says he will take $675,999 for the building and lot, as is. Can you do that for us please sir?"

Garrett didn't even think before he said, "Ok. Done deal. I assume you will bring the completed contract to our business offices so we can sign it and give you some earnest money?"

"Yes sir. I can be there in about an hour if that is convenient?"

It took over two months for the deal to close on the motel. After that time, Garrett spent another month going over every space in it making notes of things he needed to do to the building. Unfortunately, this building was in a municipality that had zoning regulations and building codes so he had to follow them. All work had to be done by certified, licensed craftsmen and approved by building inspectors. Thankfully, Garrett had all the necessary licenses for construction, plumbing and electrical so he could do the work himself. The plan was to renovate a floor at a time. They would rent it for reduced rates until the construction was finished then raise rents to the final amount.

It took Garrett 13 months to have the first apartments ready to rent on the second floor. Of course, he also had the pool area renovated and the pool and spa filled so the tenants could use them. The common area was renovated also. The bar and restaurant were blocked off and left as they were for the time being. He next began work on the bottom floor, again taking almost a year to get it completed.

To his surprise, when he advertised the bottom floor for rent he received a phone call from the director of housing at the local college. They wanted to rent the entire floor and use it for dormitory overflow. They offered the going rate for the rooms and a three-year contract if Garrett would agree. He and Kathy jumped on the offer. Now all they had to do was get permission to install gas pumps and open the convenience store then finish the bar and restaurant. Those tasks became very important now that they had all the apartments rented. They hoped the college students would spend big bucks in the three small businesses if they got them open. They even agreed to use one of the smaller offices as a study room and lounge for the students.

It took Garrett another six months and way too much money to get those three tasks competed but he did so. The bar was the first business opened. It was a moneymaker from the start. The convenience store and gas station was more or less a break-even proposition and the restaurant only contributed about $1,000 a month to the bottom line. They decided to keep the three businesses open for at least a two-year period unless they started losing money rapidly to see if business improved.

CHAPTER 12

Shortly after the building was completed two things happened that were to have a direct impact on Garrett's future career. They obtained a contract to rent out the meeting rooms in the hotel to a political party to use for meetings. Garrett was available that evening and opened the rooms for the meeting then stayed around in case they needed anything. While he was there he met some of the movers and shakers in state politics for the first time. He had been promoted to Major three years before and knew some of the names. When they found out he was in the Guard they played the 'do you know' game.

Over the course of the next three years RKM Properties continued to grow and Garrett became more involved in state politics, rubbing elbows with the movers and shakers both in the Guard and in the Political arena.

Garrett was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) and changed jobs to the State Headquarters in the National Guard. Four years later, he was again promoted to full Colonel (COL) and given a more responsible job. Now he spent nearly two weeks a month in the state capitol or travelling around the state working on Guard business. Most of that time was on active duty orders.

His friends in town still laughed when they found out he was gone once again on guard business. One day he was having breakfast before he left on yet another trip and one of the jokers said, "What the hell do you do for the Guard anyway, Garrett? Hell, you're always gone to guard meetings or something."

"Oh, I mostly just tell them how to run things now and make sure they're doing it right."

Everyone laughed at that. Garrett's units had always been several miles away from home and he still hadn't told anyone his rank or job so they all thought he was some mid-level sergeant milking the teat for all he could.

Two more years and another election was on the horizon. This time one of Garrett's friends, a state Senator, was running for governor. He and Garrett were sitting in a small bar near the capitol one evening discussing the election when the friend said, "I think I can win this thing but the coffers are dry. If I don't find some money in the next week or so I'll have to stop advertising and lay off most of my paid help. That will be like handing the election to Monty and we know what that will mean."

"Oh, hell, yeah. That bastard hates my ass. I crossed him several years back when he tried to get his nephew a cushy job in headquarters he wasn't qualified for. He's been after my ass ever since. I'd probably have to retire if he gets elected. Discounting that, he would wreck the state. All his cronies and their pork barrel politics would bankrupt it. We're teetering on the edge now.

"What would it take for you to go on like you are?"

Cedric snorted and said, "You mean besides a miracle? I'm going through about $25,000 a week now. It's still three weeks until the election and I should be increasing the advertising to blitz him. That, at a minimum, would require me to double my weekly expenditures."

"So, if I'm hearing you right you need at least $150,000 more to last until the election. I might be able to help with that but I don't know a damn thing about the election laws and contributions. If I can find you the money can your staff work it so we don't get into trouble?"

"Well, hell, yeah. That's what they're for. But where the hell would you find that kind of money?"

"Well, I have a few dollars stashed but I can get more from RKM Properties. I"

"RKM Properties! How the hell can you get anything from them? I didn't know you travelled in those circles!"

Garrett looked around and lowered his voice before he said, "What I'm about to tell you is confidential. My family and I have worked extremely hard for years to keep this a secret. When I'm not here on Guard business or on the farm I do maintenance for RKM. I used to do it all but now the business is so big they hire several maintenance men full time. My wife and her mother work in the office and management part time."

Cedric cut in with a snort and said, "Oh, come on, Garrett. We're friends but now you tell me your civilian job is as a maintenance man for RKM and you think you can get them to turn loose of that kind of money? I'm almost insulted. What makes you think they'll even talk to you about a donation much less give me one?"

Garrett became angry with his friend and almost stood and walked away in his anger. At the last moment he remembered what was at stake and clenched his jaws. He took some deep breaths and got himself partly under control before he replied, "Yes, asshole, I think I can get them to cut you a check. If you would keep your damn mouth shut for a minute maybe I can explain."

Cedric's face turned two shades of deep red when Garrett talked to him like that. His eyes glinted and he stared daggers at Garrett. He said, "Garrett, we're friends and that's all that's saving your ass right now. NO ONE talks to me like that. NO ONE. You're on thin ice here now. I think we both better just leave before one of us says something that ends our friendship."

Garrett looked at Cedric a moment then said, "Listen, give me a minute here and stay off your high horse. Like I started to say, my family and I don't trust just anyone with what I'm about to tell you but, yes, I KNOW I can get RKM to cut a check for $150,000 if we can do it legally."

Cedric looked at Garrett. The man was so confident it surprised him, but that came with the bird on each of his shoulders. He decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and hear what Garrett had to say. He took a deep breath and said, "Ok, how are you going to do that?"

Garrett smiled and said, "I own RKM. They usually do what I tell them to do."

"WHAT! You own RKM? You own the largest property management company in southwest Missouri? I thought you just said you were one of the maintenance men?" He frowned and continued, "How did you manage that? Better, how the hell did you keep that a secret? No, that's not important. You would actually be willing to do that for me?" His eyes narrowed a moment then he asked, "What will this cost me?"

Garrett looked him in the eye and said, "Less than you think. We both agree on what the state needs now. I want you to stay true to your beliefs and not give in to the special interest groups that will try to sway you while you're in office. That's all. I'm happy in the Guard and I want to stay as long as I can in a senior position. I really don't want anything else."

Cedric smiled and held his hand out for Garrett to shake. When they shook hands, Cedric said, "Done deal. I'll have my people get with you or whoever you say to handle the details."

Within two days of the conversation Cedric's campaign and his political party (using soft money donated to the party to "educate" voters about Cedric) blitzed good old Monty. He was so sure he had Cedric on the ropes he relaxed, but even if he hadn't his coffers were nearly as empty as Cedric's had been. He couldn't keep up with the spending and lost momentum. His party couldn't fill in the gaps in his finances fast enough.

The day before the election, polls showed Cedric leading by almost 11%. When he heard that, Monty snarled, "Where the hell did that bastard get the cash infusion? I was sure we had him beat and we would have except for the last minute money he came up with. I want to know where it came from and I want something done about it."

Election day dawned bright and sunny. Surprisingly, the turnout was higher than normal and most of the voters were in Cedric's camp. Two hours after the polls closed the national news channels projected Cedric would win the election for governor by 67% to 33%.

Garrett and Kathy were at Cedric's campaign headquarters for his victory party. As he made the rounds Cedric stopped and visited with Garrett and Kathy for a moment. He shook Garrett's hand and said, "I don't think I could have done it without you. I owe you big time. I won't forget what you said at our meeting, Garrett. I have to talk to some people now to make things happen, but they will. Count on it."

The next morning Garrett and Kathy returned home and Cedric began putting his administration together. One of the first things he did was put a senior member of his staff on a project to ram through his first appointment. Three weeks later, the staffer came to Cedric and said, "Governor, I have everything in place. All you have to do is make the announcement and then General Mans needs to complete some paperwork. The National Guard Bureau will help push his appointment through. "Thankfully, he met all the education requirements already so it was only a matter of a few minor waivers and finding the right people to do the paperwork."

"Great. Get him on the phone for me will ya?"

When Garrett answered the phone, the aid said, "Please hold for the Governor elect, General." Garrett frowned and looked at the phone while he waited for Cedric to come on the line.

Kathy saw him looking at the phone and asked, "What's wrong, Honey?"

"I have the strangest phone call. One of Cedric's aids called and asked me to hold for Cedric and he called me General. I thought all the aids knew I was only a Colonel."

Just then Cedric came on the line and said, "Hello, General. Thank you for holding. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you but we had to jump through a few hoops to get things set up for you. How soon can you come back to Jefferson City so we can have a news conference? The news release of your appointment will go out tonight for publication tomorrow. State Headquarters will need you here as soon as possible to finish the paperwork as well."

"Uhhh, What?"

"Weren't you listening, General? I said "...

"I heard what you said. I just don't understand the General thing. You know I'm a Colonel."

"Hey, you came through for me. Now it's my turn to come through for you. I promised you could stay in the Guard in the senior position if I was elected. I keep my promises, General. They need to process your paperwork and begin your briefings to get you up to speed in your new position. You also need to find an aide and decorate your office if you wish."

"I don't understand. What aid and office?"