Sort by:
  • 72 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

Ugh, was so looking forward to 'legends' day, but sadly disappointed, the majority, even most of the ones I always read, have been mostly boring and long winded. So much for having good stories after all the garbage LIT has subjected us too the last few months.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
so boring

got so bored reading every detail about the divorce thst i guit reading

hindsight2020hindsight2020about 7 years ago
5*

Wondered why you called it a skirt until you mentioned the Speedos. As my friend Howie from 21st Century said; "If I had anything underneath, it would be a skirt."

RhomanovRhomanovabout 7 years ago
*****

Seriously enjoyable. Laughed me backside off a time or two.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
re: anonymous-Ugh.....

Well if you think today was garbage, wait until tomorrow. Come back and tell us what you think? Somehow, I expected at least a comment or two being displeased with today's group of talented writers. Wasn't disappointed.

Since this is one of my favorite authors anything I say would be biased. 5*

boatbummboatbummabout 7 years ago
I'm Almost Afraid To Keep Reading....

The setup has me pretty heavily invested in Ewan and Amanda, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever rough road lies ahead will eventually get smoothed out....

Excellent story so far, Q.

Happy Legends Day!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
another good band

Celtic Mayhem

tazz317tazz317about 7 years ago
THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDIN'

or the re-tell of the story. TK U MLJ LV NV

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
This is very good writing.

The man came up with a plot, wrote it precisely, gave it to us free of charge, and asked nothing in return. I am grateful as hell that writers like Q are so generous to us readers. This is just excellent!

InescuInescuabout 7 years ago
You're mixing your Celts

Scottish accent is a burr, not a brogue. At first I thought you wanted him sounding like an Irishman, but in part 2 you had Scotsmen speaking with a brogue. Otherwise, I've really enjoyed it so far.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Call the fire department

For this crash and burn .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Loved it

Really enjoy it, looking forward to part two.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
A good story, but has a forced feeling.

This reads like a forced product from a talented writer who lacks true inspiration. It has plenty of head, but not much heart. Plenty of details, but not much substance. It is well crafted, but not inspired.

There's lots of description of how the first marriage failed, but no understanding why. And understanding why his marriage failed, why his perception failed, appears to be unimportant to your main character, and unimportant to the story. So why bother telling us all the details and evil maneuvers? She sold his instruments on eBay, so what?

Also the contradictions are puzzling. He busts a guys head for calling his fiance' a nigger, but lets the coworker who seduced his first wife get away without a scratch? And he of military training and mindset? He's a frugal Scott, yet pisses thousands away on a gaudy diamond engagement ring. Just makes him appear shallow and foolish. He is very masculine and forthright, but dwells on his inadequacy as a fitting partner for Amanda, even to the point of begging her to marry him: "please." If you wanted to create a complete caricature of a man open to being used, denigrated, and taken advantage of by a woman, you succeeded.

So far it is a quaint if slightly tedious love story. Not your best work. Thanks for being part of the effort, but next time, wait for inspiration. You are at your best when you write from your heart.

green117green117about 7 years ago
Good scores, snarky comments...`

Bet I can guess why...

Anyway, a sweet story to this point - I suspect the drama picks up a bit in the middle/end sections.

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Got the words to Tubthumping wrong

But everything else is fine in this story. Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
Excellent Start

I don't usually score series until the end, but this gets 5 stars!

I'm dying to know what she said to him and what the tattoo means.

As a New Englander, I enjoyed the Dropkick Murphys reference.

bruce22bruce22about 7 years ago
Excellent First Chapter

The band and the music makes a fascinating back drop. There is more to every man than appears to the eye.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Another great story from the "Q"...

Love the story so far, looking forward to the rest of it. You keep writing and we'll keep reading. And hopefully you've learned to ignore at least half of the comments - remember that many people think the only way they can make themselves look good, is to try and make someone else look bad. Perhaps one day they'll finally realize they could actually go out - with a little work - and improve themselves instead of trying to drag everyone else down.

rightbankrightbankabout 7 years ago
A great beginning

thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Fantastic

I love this story. Certainly one of your best. I saved the two multiple chapter stories for last. I like going out on a high note.

Boyd Percy

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Too much racist crap. Stop trying to make everyone out to be a racist.

# 2 This is far too liberal

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Get some!! Good start

Don't listen to the non writers whose complaints originate in their insecure and static minds....In a textbook case of projection they interpret your words through the smog filled skies of their racially inspired insecurity. OldBearSwitch.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
I doubt it matters but …

… did you mean County Clare instead of County Dare and did you mean to paraphrase the "I get knocked down" lyrics?

I get knocked down,

but I get up again,

you’re never gonna keep me down …

Personally, I think the actual song lyrics pack a better punch, but may be that's just me!

I am enjoying your story and it is simply proving that you are one of the superior writers that are kind enough to supply us with generous and free entertainment.

Thank you

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 7 years ago

Quality writing, as usual. Thanks for the offering.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Quality writing. Where?

Seriously, the best writer on L. Shakes head.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Funny

You yanks have absolutely fuck all idea of the class divide in England.

The upper class are snooty twats and apart from the occasional errant young lady going after a brief bit of rough they have fuck all to do with middle class or working class people.

Not even in a far fetched fantasy would a woman like her have anything to do with a working class already divorced smuck like him, let alone agree to marry him.

The ignorance of the author on the social dynamics of the characters he attempted to write spoil the story.

Next time stick with rich Americans and create a believable story instead of writing about people you obviously have zero knowledge of.

InsigniaInsigniaabout 7 years ago
Malaprops and misanthropes

Great job. Can't believe you didn't get called out on Ferth.

I wonder if the band plays Tupperware Honey?

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 7 years ago
Class envy Anon 3/26/17?

Yes there is stiff class stratification in the UK but it is not an unbreakable wall. I am a yank but I did live there many years ago. Amanda is not Aristocracy. Her mother is a social climber but that doesn't mean Amanda can't be more down to earth. She is living in the US and tells her mother this is home. She has an affinity for our less class divided culture. Also, musicians in the UK frequently rise up (Sir Elton John, Sir Jimmy Page) through the classes. Some of the wealthiest Brits came from humble beginnings like Mick Jagger. So as we say here...Chill!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Total Package

Your writing skills remain with top marks. Lots of interesting events with a group of well defined characters. Looking forward to the next chapter. Thanks for sharing.

Old_biker_dudeOld_biker_dudeabout 7 years ago
I read this one when 1st posted

2nd read now. I like it a lot.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Amazing

You are so much better then every other author.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 7 years ago
you have

a great one started. I can't believe I waited until now to read it because of the title. stupid. Thanks for sharing.

rightbankrightbankalmost 7 years ago
Well crafted,

Conflict and drama at the opening. Music and comradery to lift the spirit. Building with Love and romance to a strong cliff hanger.

Capped by hints, innuendo, for shadowing, and suggestions.

; D

GreatIntellectLOLGreatIntellectLOLover 6 years ago
Just Great

I enjoyed it, my dog had been climbing on me to go out but I had to finish. Great story I loved it. See ya, gotta go walk the dog!. Hope you write a sequel, I want to hear his war story. Middle East eh? Sandbox? I did Nam!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Hugely overrated

How did this get to be such a top-rated story? Ponderous and dull

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 6 years ago
As usual, another great story from the Q...

Not my first time through it, and always a 5. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
How did I miss this one

Just so good from a great author.

Stefan141Stefan141over 6 years ago
Unexpected gem.

Totally unexpected little gem, warm, witty and well written. Thanks for a lovely first chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
.great story

but you missed a chance. when he and amanda started the bit with the upkilt gazing, the band should have played "drunken scotsman". it came right to mind when the scene started.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Old Joke

This reminded me of the story of the Scotsman and a lassie taking a walk and her asking him what he wore under his kilt. He replied "Why don't you reach under it and find out" She did, and screamed "It's gruesome" to which he replied "Ay lassie, and if you check again you'll find it's gruesome more

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
wrong lyrics

It’s ‘I get knocked down, but I get up again’

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
minor edit

Q

As a person of South African history. The term is kaffir. Not proud of it. Just pointing it ou

chaoddicchaoddicabout 5 years ago
Love it

Still think kim got off way to easy.

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Awaiting resolution

Good start rather long

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Good story

Love the story line. Would like more sex/ intimacy but the story line, so far, is great.

KingCuddleKingCuddlealmost 4 years ago
SAGA KING!

As usual, full up with more specific details than you should be able to know...

and overflowing with story development!

Love your work!

MarkT63MarkT63almost 4 years ago
Nice...

Nice opening to the series. Lots to look forward to...

SystemShockSystemShockover 3 years ago

What I don't get about this is why he ever gave Kim the time of day in the first place. The first time they met, literally the first words he heard from her were an interrupted racial slur, followed by blatant stereotyping. That kind of first impression and he still married her? He deserved to get bitten, because he knew she was a snake when he picked her up.

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago

Thank you for your very entertaining stories.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxover 3 years ago
Very Nice Start

I have passed by this story so many times. I am glad that I finally jumped into this tale. I do hope that in the end I won't be sorry and that Amanda stays by his side. To many LIT stories have 1 or 2 betrayals of the MC and I get jittery about the outcome being happy or sad. I know how I want the series to go but will my hope become reality?? One of the signs of a good writer is to bring out the emotions of the reader and Q is at the top of the list for bringing and wringing out my emotions. You have me on high alert waiting for the outcome. Great start.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Another great start! I've really enjoyed most of your stories. You know how to wring the emotion out very well. One criticism, and this may be petty, but I feel that if you are going to quote the lyrics for a song, they should be accurate. Its, "I get knocked down, but I get up again".

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 3 years ago

Another great story by QM and my second reading

gentle_touch4ugentle_touch4uover 2 years ago

This one of the best stories that I have read. Thank you and I look forward to the continuation.

Cracker270Cracker270over 2 years ago

Well and truly hooked. I can see this series becoming an old favorite. And I agree completely with Olgreyfox.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

No disrespect intended but keep in mind when you do add your comments, many (and that does include me) have not written anything more than the comments that we are making. Thank you Q, as always I love traveling through your tales.

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is a great story, I love the idea that love comes into your life when you least expect it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Excellent story, plot and character development. Thx.

5*

BJ

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-rogers-ca-revc&source=android-browser&q=tubthumping+lyrics

"I get knocked down, but i get up again

You are never gonna keep me down"

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Grand so far.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

Good start to an interesting story. Thankfully the other chapters are already written so a long wait is necessary. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Excellent so far.

Bill S.

JimQ2JimQ211 months ago

Another winner!!!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Looking like another winner of a series to me. So glad all the other parts are there ready to read 😀 BardnotBard

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

You misquoted the Tubthumping lyrics. It’s “I get knocked down.”

6King6King4 months ago

⭐⭐⭐⭐

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Both grandfathers have the same surname? I hope it’s a big clan!

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman3 months ago

Excellent. Great characters and so many things to discover.

tipacanoetipacanoe3 months ago

This story is wonderfully written, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you

MidwestSouthernerMidwestSoutherner3 months ago

Really?! Cary Grant???

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

An excellent and intriguing battle. Sr and read. Going on to part two new. Five stars, of course.

JPB NOT BOB

AnonymousAnonymous17 days ago

Fantastic! Now, I must read the rest of it. You seem to be a very accomplished writer, great job!!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
8997 Followers
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

SIMILAR Stories