On The Other Hand

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Great, just great, I thought. She's trying to make things better between us after the last month and I'm going to piss her off all over again. Well, I'm gonna wait until after dinner before I tell her. It may be the last meal she cooks for me for a long time.

I'm the one to blame here, I thought as I changed clothes. Maybe Theresa could control her temper better but if I tried to understand and consider her feelings we would be better off. Please God, don't let this ruin our marriage, I prayed silently.

During dinner we talked about day to day things, nothing of importance. My trial by fire didn't begin until Theresa started talking about her company's awards party.

"I had your new suit pressed and bought you a Christian Dior white on white dress shirt for the party," she said. "I want you to look your best when you finally meet the people I work with."

"I'm sorry Honey, but I have to leave for Seattle on Tuesday afternoon," I interrupted her before she could go on. "I don't know if I'll get done and be back in time for your party."

Theresa dropped her fork and stared at me. I could see her anger building.

"You promised you'd be there this time Charley," she said in a tightly controlled voice.

"I know and I'm sorry, but there's a problem with the software we installed for Dynamic and we need to straighten it out."

"Let someone else go this time," Theresa suggested.

"Jim's the only other person familiar with this software and he broke his leg," I explained. "He won't be available for a couple of weeks."

"Can't Dynamic wait until Monday?"

"You don't tell your biggest customer to wait when they need help. If I don't go we could lose the account," I told her almost pleading. "I promise I'll try to get back in time to at least meet you at the party."

"Another promise? And I'm supposed to believe you this time because .....?" Theresa sat quietly for almost a minute. "You need to get over this 'center of the universe' syndrome about your job. If you're that indispensable they're not paying you enough."

"But Honey..." I started.

You need to develop some cojones and tell Ralph no sometimes," she said. After a few seconds she added, "With or without you, I'm going to the awards party. But when you get home from your trip we need to talk seriously about this marriage."

Theresa stood and stomped to our bedroom; I really expected her to lock the door. Instead after a few minutes she came out with some of my clothes. She went into the guest bedroom, dumped my stuff on the bed and returned to the master bedroom. Guess I'm not welcome in our bed tonight, I told myself. The next morning she was gone before I got up.

She's really mad this time, I thought. Usually I'm the first one out the door. I'll call her at work and take her to lunch. About ten, I called and was told that Theresa wasn't available. She wasn't available the next three times I called her and she didn't return my messages. I never did get to talk to her before I flew to Seattle.

About an hour before I had to leave I did get a call. It was certainly a surprise. My father in law, Bill Riley, told me that he wanted to talk to me. The tone of his voice gave no room to refuse.

"What's going on between you and Theresa Charley?" Bill asked and before I could answer he went on. "You two are about to screw up a good marriage."

"Nothing major Bill, just a little rough spot," I replied. "We'll work it out."

"El Toro pooh pooh," he responded.

"What?"

Bill chuckled and answered, "It's what my wife, Marie, says when she knows someone is spouting bullshit." Then he got serious again. "I know all about your little game of not telling Theresa about your trips until the last minute. And I know you do it to cut down on the amount of time you have to put up with her temper."

"Well, I don't think you....." I began.

"Theresa takes after me as far as her temper goes. It's something I've learned to keep a handle on. She'll learn to control it too but not if you keep traveling all the time and not if you continue your shenanigans." He paused for a few seconds and added, "You two are heading for big trouble."

"How did you find out about everything Bill? Did Theresa come running to you with our problems?" I was getting angry myself thinking she'd run home to daddy.

"Nope. But I heard her and her mother talking about it," he replied. "Guess you could say I was eavesdropping." He chuckled again. "Doesn't matter, I just know you both need to get your heads on straight or you're gonna ruin your marriage."

"But I just can't quit traveling, it's part of my job," I explained.

"El Toro pooh pooh," Bill replied. "You told me yourself you were top dog. Make them treat you like it. I think Theresa's right about you needing to grow a set of cojones as far as your job is concerned. And Theresa needs to get a handle on her temper and be a little more understanding about your work. But you playing the games you're playing sure don't help matters."

I didn't say anything for a few seconds and then responded, "You're right Bill. I'll have a sit down with my boss when I get back." I laughed humorously and added, "I better have a sit down with Theresa too."

Bill chuckled and said, "Good luck with that Charley. Let me know if I can help." Then he hung up.

The more I thought about Theresa and me the more I knew that our problems were largely my fault. Of course Theresa's temper didn't help matters but my constant breaking promises was what got her mad in the first place. Throw in my little game of not telling her I had to travel until the last minute and we had a recipe for disaster.

I made another call to Theresa at work and got the same run around from her secretary. "Susie, is she really not available or is she just not available to me?"

"Please Mr. Best, I can't answer that," Susie replied. Her tone said she was uncomfortable being caught in the middle.

"You just did Susie," I told her. "Hey kid, don't worry about it. Give me her voice mail again please."

I waited through Theresa's recorded greeting and to wait for the tone to leave a message. "Hey baby, it's me again. I've been thinking and you're right about the job. I promise when I get back I'll talk to Ralph. You and I need to have a talk too. See you when I get back. I love You."

********************

During lunch on Wednesday with Jim Starks, the I T guy from Dynamic, he remarked that I seem a little distracted. Like my mind was somewhere else. Jim and I had gone to school together and considered each other as friends. In fact I helped him get his job with Dynamic.

"Yeah, trouble at home," I said. Shaking myself I continued, "Don't worry about it, I'll straighten it out when I go home."

"Maybe talking about it will help," Jim suggested. "I mean, get an outsider's opinion on your problem."

"Thanks Jim. You're a good friend." I told him the whole sad story about Theresa and me.

When I finished, Jim motioned to our waiter. "Make our orders in to go and bring the check please," he requested. I gave him a puzzled look. "We're going back to the office and work on this software problem. We'll work nights if we have to but you're going to get back in time to take your wife to that party," he told me.

We worked until 1AM that night and again on Thursday. The finishing touches were made in time for me to catch a flight home Friday afternoon.

Then Murphy's Law reared its ugly head. You know, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. My flight was delayed and then delayed again. Instead of getting home at 5 PM, in time to take Theresa to the awards party, I didn't walk in my front door until nearly 8. Theresa wasn't home and I assumed she'd gone to the party.

A new speed record was set that evening for getting showered, shaved and dressed. I wore the suit Theresa had picked out for me with the new shirt she'd bought me. The party was due to start at 7:00 with a cocktail hour, then dinner at 8:00, and the awards ceremony afterwards; dancing would follow the awards. Ever if I couldn't take her to the party, I'd be there for her big night I said to myself.

Another speed record was set that night getting to the hotel where the party was taking place. Finding the ballroom, I stepped inside just as Theresa's boss was giving her the award and announcing her promotion to department head. Theresa and her boss were up on a stage and he spent several minutes praising her. Even from the back of the room, I could see her blush at the compliments.

When her boss finished, everyone in the room applauded; me the loudest. I guess the shrill whistle I gave was overkill. Theresa and everyone else looked to see who had whistled and saw me. Her face was a study in contrast. First she smiled and then as someone shook her hand she frowned and looked away from me. I could see she was upset.

As Theresa came off the stage, several people intercepted her to offer their congratulations. Not wanting to rain on her parade I went to the table where her boss was sitting. I thought that Theresa would be seated at the same table and I circled it until I saw her name tag. Hers was the only empty seat at the table, so I sat in Theresa's chair.

There was a man in the next chair that I didn't know. "I'm sorry, that chair is taken. You'll have to move," he told me in a nice tone. Before I could respond he added, "My dinner companion is sitting there."

"Your dinner companion?" I questioned.

"Yes, Theresa Best. She just got an award," he answered pointing toward the stage. "She'll be right back so you'll have to move. I'm Roger Allison," he added sticking out his hand.

I was shocked and speechless. Theresa had said she planned to go to some of her company's functions even if I wasn't available, I remembered. I just didn't realize she meant she'd be dating too.

"My name's Charley," I replied shaking his hand. I looked at Theresa; she was still surrounded by well wishers. "Give my congratulations to Theresa will you?" I stood and walked out of the ballroom; she's made her point, I thought. I might as well go home and get packed.

*******************

Driving home a lot slower than I'd driven to the party I passed my favorite water hole, Connors Pub & Grill.

Connors was where I took my guys for dinner when we had to work at night. It was also the place I took customers for an informal lunch. The place was owned by the Jake and James Connors. They poured an honest drink and served great food.

I pulled into a parking space in front of the pub and went inside. Theresa's party won't be over until midnight and if, and that's a big if, she came right home she wouldn't be home until 1 or so. Gives me time to have a drink or two, I thought. Then I'll go home and pack my stuff.

Jake looked up as I walked end and smiled. He poured a drink and set it on the bar. It was Gentleman Jack, my drink of choice. I nodded my thanks and downed the whiskey. Putting the empty glass down I motioned for a refill.

I got the second drink and a look from Jake. As I picked up my glass I swiveled on my bar stool and looked around the pub. There were several people in the bar but they weren't crowded. At a table nearby were a man and woman having a late dinner. They were laughing and having a good time, just like Theresa and I used to do I thought. At another table there were four men dressed in identical bowling shirts; obviously out after bowling to celebrate their victory or console each other on their loss.

The last group consisted of six women and three men. Apparently they worked together and were having a few drinks before starting the weekend. One of the young ladies looked familiar but I couldn't remember where I'd seen her. She looked up, saw me and smiled. Saying something to one of the other women, she stood and joined me at the bar.

"Could you like, use some company Charley?"

I'd never considered myself to be a lady's man, even before Theresa. There weren't many nights that I didn't have a date if I wanted one but I wasn't a player and hadn't had a string of women chasing after me. But this young woman was coming on to me.

She was tall, almost voluptuous with long natural red hair. A smattering of freckles across her nose and her deep blue eyes completed the picture. In short, she was what most men dreamed about.

Being the smooth operator that I am, I said, "Do I know you?"

Giggling, she put her hand on my forearm. "I'm Mary Beth Hill," she answered. "I like work at First National Bank and have seen you there, you know."

"I'm sorry, I don't remember you waiting on me Mary," I replied. "And I'm sure I'd remember if you had." See, I'm an old silver tongued devil.

Mary Beth chuckled and said, "It's Mary Beth and thank you, that's a nice thing to say. No, I've never waited on you, you know, but I asked your regular teller about you."

She looked at me expectantly and I caught the hint. "May I buy you a drink?"

Mary Beth turned to Jake and said, "White wine please."

We talked for several minutes and I began to feel better about myself. Maybe I'm not the loser Theresa thinks I am, I told myself. About ten minutes later I asked, "Why would you ask about me?"

"Well...You're not bad looking," she answered with a smile. "And you're like, always polite and friendly with the other girls. I just thought it would be nice to get to know you." Mary Beth slid her glass toward Jake and asked, "May I have another please." When Jake put her drink in front of her, she asked, "Aren't you going to like join me?"

I held up my glass. "I try to limit myself to one or two a night. Sometimes I get a little crazy if I drink more."

"You look like you need to get a little crazy tonight." She took my right hand and held it. "C'mon, lighten up and let's have a good time, you know."

What am I doing? Well it looks like you're thinking real hard about letting this hot red head entice you to go back to her place, I answered my own question. And it appears that she's not going to give up, at least based on her continued thinly veiled suggestions.

Why am I even thinking of doing this? Face it; you've reached a point that you feel your marriage is on life support, again answering my question. My wife and I have been at odds for the last month or so. And now she was on a date at the awards dinner.

So when a woman looking like a California hard body makes a run at you, you're tempted; very tempted. Under normal circumstances you wouldn't waste your time with someone whose every fifth word was "like" or "you know", but these aren't normal circumstances.

Why not? I asked myself. If Theresa can go on a date, why can't I? Maybe she'll see that other women like me just the way I am.

Mary Beth's knee was peeking out from under her skirt. Actually it was more than peeking; her skirt had ridden up higher than mid thigh exposing a lot of very attractive leg. She held on to my right hand and as she pulled my other hand toward her knee I saw it.

She held my right hand but there, on my other hand, staring me in the face, was my gold wedding band. I stiffened and pulled my left hand back. This isn't the way, I thought. If my marriage goes down the tubes it wouldn't be because I've cheated on my wife.

"I'm sorry Mary Beth," I said as I freed my right hand from her grasp. "You're a beautiful woman and I'm very flattered that you'd like to spend time with me. I'd like nothing better than to get crazy with you tonight. But I'm married."

Mary Beth smiled. "I know. But I'm not like talking about a long term relationship or even a relationship. I just thought we might have some fun, you know."

After I shook my head no to her suggestion, Mary Beth smiled again. She stood, patted my shoulder and returned to her table. I have to admit I was surprised at her attitude; surprised hell, I was shocked. In my day most women wouldn't have been so straight forward and I wasn't that old.

Turning back toward the bar, I raised my glass motioning for another drink.

"Having a tough night Charley?" Jake asked as he slid another drink to me.

"Guess you could say that Jake. I just found out that my wife is on a date."

"From the way you've talked about her when you're in here, I'm surprised," Jake responded.

"Not nearly as surprised as I am. I knew we were going through a rough patch but I didn't think it was that bad."

"How did you find out?"

I told Jake about being out of town, making it back in time to meet Theresa at the awards party and about good ole Roger. "I'll have this one drink and then I'm going home, pack and go find a place to stay for awhile."

"Shouldn't you talk to your wife first?" It was a pretty young woman asking. Seeing my surprise at her interruption she added, "I'm Juanita, Jake's wife."

"Hi Juanita, I'm Charley Best. To answer your question, there's no need. She made her intentions plain before I left on my business trip."

"Did she really tell you she was going to go on dates? " Juanita asked. "Tell us what brought all this on"

So I explained the problems we'd been having; everything. I didn't sugar coat it or try to spin it to make myself look good or Theresa look bad.

"Looks like what we have here is a failure to communicate," Jake said with a little smile. He pulled my drink from the bar and yelled to the kitchen. "Chief, can we have some coffee please?"

The Chief was Jasper Quinn, a retired Master Chief who ran the kitchen with an iron hand, the same way he'd run galleys for the Navy for over thirty years. "Right away Jake."

When he brought cups and the coffee pot he smiled at me. "You need a clear head to solve your problems son."

"Thanks Chief. Maybe you're right." I had to smile as he set the coffee down on the bar. He was a stereotypical Navy Chief; short, bowlegged, bald, and grizzled with a no nonsense air about him. The Chief had big hands and very large forearms. If he squinted one eye he would look like a real life Popeye.

"Jake and Juanita are right. You should talk to your Mrs. before you go running off," he offered as he returned to his kitchen.

Juanita poured coffee and handed me a cup. "I've seen you in here before but I don't remember your wife," she said. "What does she look like?"

In spite of what had happened that night, I had to smile. "Theresa is special. She's shorter than you and has this mane of almost black hair that shimmers in the light. She's slender and athletic looking with this beautiful face; at least to me anyway. I guess the thing that strikes you the most about her are those startling green eyes."

"Something like that you mean," Jake said pointing over my shoulder. I turned and Theresa was walking toward me. Her eyes were shinning but she had a frown on her face.

"What the hell do you mean running off and leaving me at the party Charles Best!?" Theresa demanded. I knew I was in real trouble; Theresa never called me "Charles" unless I'd stepped way over the line.

"Your date informed me I was sitting in your chair so I thought you'd find your own way home," I answered somewhat heatedly. Theresa wasn't the only one that had a temper. She just hadn't seen mine in a long time.

"Date? What date? I didn't have a date."

"That's not what good ole Roger said."

"Roger? ...Roger Allison?" Theresa seemed puzzled for a moment. "Roger told you he was my date?"

Nodding my head I replied, "I tried to sit in your chair to wait for you while everyone was congratulating you and he told me that I couldn't sit there. That the chair belonged to his dinner companion for the evening." I gave Theresa a hard look and added, "I didn't want to disrupt your evening so I left."

Theresa looked at me for several seconds and chuckled. "You big dummy!" She walked over to me and put her arms around my neck. "My boss asked him to fill the empty chair at our table. Roger didn't know who you were so he told you he was my dinner companion to get you out of my chair." She leaned in and gave me a quick kiss. "I wasn't on a date with Roger or anyone else."