On The Other Hand

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before I could respond, Jake leaned across the bar. "Why don't you guys grab that back booth? It'll be a little more private for your conversation. I'll bring your drinks to you."

I got off the bar stool, took Theresa's hand and led her to the booth. We went to the booth and after she sat down I sat across from her. Theresa got up, came to my side of the booth and slid in next to me. "We've been away from each other enough."

Juanita brought two cups of coffee, set them in front of us, and smiled. "Jake said you'd had enough Charley."

Taking a small drink Theresa asked, "Why would you think I would date someone?"

"You were really mad at me when I left. I mean, you wouldn't even take my calls or return them Tuesday." Taking a deep breath I continued, "And you said you were going to the party without me."

I paused, took a sip of coffee and continued, "You looked like you were still mad when you saw me in the back of the room. When you didn't come back to the table and Roger made his announcement I decided you'd made your decision and I left."

"That jackass shaking my hand wouldn't let me go and I wanted to come to you; that's why I was mad. Then all those people stopped me as I came off the stage and by the time I got to the table you were gone," she replied and then laughed.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"When Roger found out who you are he almost passed out. He said, 'you mean I told your husband you were with me?' The poor man was scared to death," Theresa said laughing again. "I'd taken a cab to the party and he offered to drive me home. I saw your car outside and here we are."

"I'm glad I didn't react to Roger the way you would have if some woman told you she was my companion," I told her but smiled to take the sting out of it.

Theresa frowned. "You're right, sometimes I over react and let my temper get the best of me. That's one of our problems," she replied in a serious tone. "I promise that I'll work on it and try to be more understanding," she promised.

"Speaking of another woman," she continued but with a little smile. "Who was that skank redhead at the bar with you?"

"Oh, you saw that?" She nodded and I finished, "That's Mary Beth."

"And where do you know Mary Beth from?"

"I don't really. I mean she works at First National and has seen me there. You know, like when I go to the bank?" I was definitely rattled because I was talking like Mary Beth now. "She just came over to say hello," I added not very convincingly. Even I didn't believe me.

"Does saying hello include holding your hand? And where was she pulling your left hand?"

I swallowed hard took a deep breath and said, "Well...I think she was going to put it on her leg." I waited for Theresa to explode.

Instead she turned so she could look me in the eye and in a more serious tone said, "I saw you look down and then pull back. What made you do that?"

Now it was my turn to be serious. "When she pulled my left hand toward her leg I saw my wedding ring." I returned Theresa's look. "If we were going to split up it wouldn't be because of another woman."

Theresa looked over my shoulder and tensed up. Turning my head I saw an example of really bad timing; Mary Beth and one of the guys from their table were walking toward us on their way out. She stopped at our booth.

"Hey Charley. If you like, change your mind give me a call." She laid a card with her name and number on the table and turned to leave.

I sort of ducked my head, waiting for Theresa to go ballistic. She slid out of the booth, picking up the card as she got up.

"Hey skank," Theresa said. When Mary Beth turned around Theresa threw the crumbled up card in her face and gave her a hard look with her laser like eyes. "Charley belongs to me; keep your hands off! Understand?"

Mary Beth saw the challenge in Theresa's eyes, nodded, and beat a quick retreat out of the pub.

As Theresa sat back down, I heard her softly muttering about Mary Beth. Skank, slut, and bitch were the nicest things she said.

"I thought you handled that very well," I told her. "I mean there's no blood or body parts to clean up."

"Told you I was gonna work on my temper." She paused, smiled and added, "But it was a real temptation to pull out all that fake red hair."

I didn't think it was the best time to mention that Mary Beth was a natural red head. I'm not as dumb as some people think.

"When I go to work on Monday, I'm gonna have a talk with Ralph." I took Theresa's hand. "Like you said I need to grow a set of cojones. If I'm the best I shouldn't have to go running all over the country for every little problem that comes up."

Theresa nodded her agreement.

"My trips are gonna have to be planned and never if it interferes with family plans," I told her.

"What if he won't agree? You don't want to lose your job."

"Software Solutions has been after me for the last six months to go to work for them to run their I T department. If Ralph won't work with me, maybe it's time I switched companies."

Theresa smiled, and pulled my hand to her knee. "Let's go home so my husband can show me how proud he is of me and my promotion."

I waved at Jake, Juanita, and the Chief as we walked out the door.