Once Upon a Fantasy Ch. 15-16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let me guess ... Candy opened her big mouth."

I shook my head in wonder. There was no way I was going to get a step ahead of my kids. They were just too much in tune with each other and could almost read each other's mind.

"Well, she did mention something about your thinking. Why don't you tell me what have in mind in your own words?"

"Uhhm ... well ... if I'm not stepping on any toes ... I was kind of wondering if I could come to work for you. It's a good business and you run it really well. I'd like to be able to learn how to do that."

I nodded. "I can understand that. I'd be really happy if we could keep it in the family, but only if you're sure that's what you want ... not what you think I want."

"You've never said a word about it, Dad. I was wondering if you might want to sell the business."

"No ... I have no intention of selling it. I get a lot of satisfaction from it and I want to keep doing it. Keep improving it if I can."

"That's great. I'd really like to be part of that. I know I've got a lot to learn, but I'm sure between you and Len, I can pick it up in time."

"Kim's going to be a big part of the business too, Son. She's going to develop a lot of new contractor and development business for us."

"I really like her, Dad. I thought maybe I wouldn't, seeing as how she is taking Mom's place. But she's nice and she knows I want to stay close to Mom and she's okay with that."

I nodded.

"There's something else I wanted to say, Dad. I was really happy when you hired Mom. That creep she married was bad news right from the start and she knows she made a huge mistake. That was really something that you did for her. She'll never forget it and neither will I. You didn't have to do that, but I'm really glad you did."

"Thank you, Brandon. Your mother made a mistake, but I didn't want her put in danger or to be a captive of that guy. She needed a helping hand and I was able to give it to her.

"So can I pretty much plan on having another family member in the business about three years from now?"

"Yeah," he smiled. "That's what I'd like to have happen."

My knee was getting better gradually, now to the point where I could walk for some distance without a cane as support. I was still doing my flexibility and strengthening exercises with Kim's supervision. I think that alone had a lot to do with my progress.

When I saw Dr. Demby after six months, he was pleased if not surprised at my progress. It was another reinforcement that I wasn't going to be a cripple for the rest of my life. But three bad knocks on my left knee were enough to last me a lifetime.

When the pool, deck, and hot tub were finished our house became the favored hang-out for our son and daughters along with their friends. Sylvie had returned to Quebec for the summer and I could see Brandon was missing her. On the other hand, there was no shortage of skimpy bikinis to entertain him when he was off work. He was working in the shipping and packing department at our store and from all accounts doing a good job.

We were sitting on the deck one evening in July when Deb joined us. It was unusual to see her without Candy or one of the twins nearby. I figured something was up.

"Hey Mom, Dad. Is it okay if I ask you something?"

"Sure," we answered in unison.

"Uhhm ... I applied for a small business internship but I got turned down. I guess they were all filled up or something."

"Who did you apply to?" Kim asked.

"The government has a program for students to help them get used to working in smaller businesses ... like yours."

"Sounds like a good idea," I said. "What did you want to ask?"

"Well ... uhhm ... I was wondering about if I could get an internship at the store. You know, get some work experience that way."

"What kind of work are you looking for?" I asked.

"Well, when I go to college I want to study interior design. You've got a link on your website that's about interior design. I was thinking ... maybe ... I could work with Mom and learn about it from her."

"Honey, I don't do real design work. I just go with the developer and any designers they have."

"Oh. I didn't know that. I guess it's not such a hot idea then." She was clearly deflated.

"Hang on, Kim," I interjected. "I don't see any harm in you having an assistant. Deb could pick up quite a bit working with you and the designers you deal with. She could be quite helpful when things are busy."

Kim gave me the strangest look before I saw the light go on.

"That might work," she nodded slowly, still watching me to see if she'd picked up the right signal.

I gave her a smile as confirmation and she turned back to Deb.

"If you'd like to try it out this summer, I'd be okay with that."

"Oh, great! Thanks, Mom. Thanks, Dad. I'll do a really good job, I promise."

With that she was gone like a shot, probably seeking out Candy to tell her about her good fortune.

I laughed as she disappeared into the house.

"What's so funny?" Kim said with a grimace. "I have no idea what she's going to do working with me."

"Honey, if our son and daughters want to get involved in the family business and get some work experience, then I'm all for it. I'll leave it to you to decide how best to use Deb, but my suggestion would be to let her follow you around as you do your normal work and let her figure out what she can contribute. Let her make notes or pick up brochures or whatever. Just give her a sense that we support her and will help her succeed."

Kim was shaking her head as she listened. I thought for a moment she was rejecting the whole idea, but I was wrong.

"Brandon's really started something, hasn't he? This whole idea of it being a family business has really clicked with you, hasn't it?"

"Yeah," I admitted, "it really has. I feel good about it."

That produced a smile in my wife.

"You should. It should make you proud. They're proud of you and want to be involved. You've made Highland Home Services something they want to be a part of."

She was right, of course. I was immensely proud of our children. They did want to be a part of the future of the family business. I knew for a fact that it wasn't always the case in families.

"Just one thing," I noted. "Who's going to pay her?"

"Take it out of my salary. I can afford it," she grinned.

Yeah. She could too.

END

Edited by DaveT and ErikThread with my thanks for their help and useful suggestions. Any errors are mine alone.