Orphan Ch. 01-04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,354 Followers

"Come in," he said, and she entered, to find him still with Captain Gilroy.

"Roxane," said Silas. "Alex has told me of your encounter this afternoon, and the real reason you came back muddied."

"I thought you wished no one told of our meeting, Captain?"

Gilroy smiled, rueful. "Circumstances change, Miss Harrison. Certain information has come to our ears which makes the presence of the Pelican a little less hazardous. Parlez-vous Français, mademoiselle?"

The sudden French startled her for a moment, but she answered readily. "Mais oui, m'sieu, certainement."

Gilroy smiled. "You were right, Silas. Like a native. Miss Harrison, what I am about to tell you, if you agree to my doing so, will render my life endangered if you speak of it to anyone. Your own, too, so I will quite understand if you decline right now and leave us."

She regarded him, surprised, her curiosity piqued. "You intrigue me, Captain Gilroy. Is what you wish to tell me in any way illegal?"

He laughed, surprising her. "Not in any way that breaks our king's law. The French law, ah, well, most definitely so."

"So it breaks French law? You have intrigued me even more, Captain." She glanced across at her uncle, to see him watching her, calm, unsurprised. "Do I listen to him, Uncle?"

"If you wish to serve your country, my dear, I think yes. You may listen, and then decline, and neither Alex nor I will think any the less of you."

She regarded the two men for a long moment, her bottom lip caught between her teeth, and then nodded. "I shall hear you out, Captain. Please, go ahead."

"What I have to say to you must be kept a secret, from anyone and everyone, unless I, or your uncle, tell you otherwise. Is that understood, Miss Harrison?"

"It is, Captain. Please continue."

"You know me as Captain Alexander Gilroy, of the schooner Pelican, which I believe you suspect to be a smuggler's vessel. Is that not so?" Gilroy smiled, his eyebrows arched in query.

"I'm afraid that was my surmise, Captain, yes. And you are not a smuggler?"

Gilroy laughed. "On the contrary, Miss Harrison, I am indeed a smuggler, but a smuggler who works for his king and country. As well as being commander of the Pelican, I have the honour and privilege of being Captain Alexander Gilroy of his Britannic Majesty's Royal Navy. It is my duty to infiltrate British spies into those territories of Europe occupied by the forces of Napoleon." Gilroy grimaced. "Which as you know, has until recently been most of Europe."

"Indeed, sir." Roxane studied Gilroy for a moment. "There is obviously more, Captain. Please go on."

"Miss Harrison, I need a wife," said Gilroy, hiding a smile at her sudden consternation. She stared at him, acknowledging, but hiding, the excitement within herself. Gilroy let the smile out. "A pretence."

"Ah," she said, startled by the sudden disappointment she felt, but keeping her face calm, even though her thoughts were turmoil. "In France, I would surmise?"

Gilroy glanced at Silas, "You were right, Silas. A quick-witted girl." He turned back to Roxane. "Quite right, Miss Harrison. I must go into France. What could be more innocent than a man and his bride, on a short bridal tour, a honeymoon, if you like. A man and his wife might travel more easily than a man alone, or perhaps two men. And no-one will be surprised if they wander idly."

"Seeking what?"

"A rendezvous with an English agent."

"Ah. You know where?"

"I know where he was. Whether he is still there is to be determined." Gilroy regarded her calmly for a moment. "Miss Harrison, there could be danger."

She nodded. "I suspected there might. That does not change my mind. If any small part I might play would be good for England, for Britain, then play it I shall."

"Can you handle a gun? A pistol?"

"Yes."

Gilroy smiled. "Anything else?"

"A fowling piece." She smiled suddenly, startling Gilroy. "In truth, Captain Gilroy, I shoot well."

He laughed, turning to her uncle. "A treasure indeed, Silas."

Her uncle nodded. "Her mother's letters to me always praised Roxane." He smiled. "I knew my sister well, and she never lied."

Roxane flushed. "Uncle Silas, please desist."

"Nay, my dear Roxane, I do naught but confirm your mother's high opinion of you." Her uncle smiled. "I have not told you, niece, but that opinion is one I share, having come to know you better."

She stared at him for a moment, then stepped forward and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you, Uncle Silas."

Her uncle moved uncomfortably. "Well, yes, very well, Roxane. Now listen to what Alex has to say, if you will."

"Miss Harrison, I plan to sail on the morning tide, on the first of the ebb. Just after three of the clock, which means that I would have you come aboard this very evening." He paused.

She nodded. "Pray, continue, Captain Gilroy. But first, may I make a suggestion?"

"Of course."

"We are playing a part, yes?"

"Indeed so."

"So you will not be Captain Alexander Gilroy of His Britannic Majesty's Navy? Who then will you be?"

"Capitaine Henri de Boeuf, smuggler extraordinaire, a votre service, madamoiselle."

"Merci, mon Capitaine. And I am to play the part of your wife, no?"

"If you are willing, then yes. And?"

"Would it not make more sense if we address each other by our false identities, so that we become used to it? We lessen the chance of mistakes that way, do we not?"

"We do indeed, Miss Harrison. So, as my wife, may I ask your name?"

"My own name, Roxane, for 'tis a common enough name in France, or perhaps Lucille, as that is my middle name. My mother sometimes called me Lucy. If you were to call me Lucy by mistake, no one would think other than that you called me by an affectionate diminutive."

"Ma chere Lucille! Bravo!" Gilroy turned to Silas. "My friend, were you to bring me the most consummate actress in the world, I doubt she would come close to your niece in intelligence."

"You flatter me, Henri."

Gilroy bowed. "Ah, Lucille, I do but speak the truth."

She smiled. "Perhaps, but allow me my modesty. We sail at three, you say?"

"Indeed so."

"Then I must pack, for I would prefer to have some of my own clothes, particularly small clothes, if we are to be away by then." She frowned.

"Something bothers you, Lucille?"

"If we are to play man and wife, I should be wearing a ring."

"Indeed." Gilroy fished in his pocket and produced a small leather pouch. Opening it, he tipped into his free hand a simple, plain gold ring. "This was my mother's. I feel that she would approve of my asking you to wear it." He held it out to her, and she took it, slipping it onto her ring finger. A surprisingly good fit. She held her hand out.

"A fine fit, Henri."

"It is all of that, Lucille. Very well, pack what you need, but if possible, pack light. Once in France, we will be travelling on horseback, as we do not know in advance which route we will be taking, and I fear that a coach will not necessarily travel everywhere we may need to go. We will surprise people, but I have played the eccentric before and will again, if needs must. You, of course, as my obedient wife, merely follow my example."

"Of course, husband." She paused.

"Yes?"

"You will give me the details of our enterprise later, I take it?"

Gilroy nodded. "It will take us up to three days to make our rendezvous. Those three days should be enough for me to appraise you of your part in this venture. Now, Miss Harrison, and I address you by that name for the last time until our safe return, God willing, are you certain of this? I will think no less of you were you to withdraw."

"Captain Gilroy, answer me this. Will my playing this part help my king and country defeat the tyrant Napoleon?"

"I believe that it will, yes."

"Then you cannot offer me this adventure and then deny it to me. Now, if you will excuse me, mon cher Henri, I must pack."

"Until later, chere Lucille."

It didn't take her long, and within the hour she knocked at her uncle's study door.

"Come in."

Silas was alone, in his armchair beside the fire. He made to rise but she signalled him to remain seated and took the chair opposite. Silas smiled.

"You favour your mother."

She smiled. "So I have been told. Uncle, am I doing right in this?"

He reached out and took her hand. "Yes, my dear Roxane, I believe you are. You are going into possible danger, yes, even great danger, but it is my sincere belief that the task before you and Alex is very important to Britain and our allies in this war. Goodness knows, I hate to see you risk your life but, and believe me, I am truly sincere in this, having come to know you better I do not believe there is another of my acquaintance more fitted to this role. I shall pray for you, my dear Roxane, pray for your safe and successful return."

"Thank you, dear Uncle Silas."

"I have something for you."

"For me?"

"Yes. I would like you to devise a way to secrete this about your person, just in case." He passed a small wooden box, heavy, across to her. She opened it, curious, to find that inside was a lady's pocket pistol. Normally only of a small calibre, good only at very short range, it might still kill a man if the right spot were hit. She looked up at her uncle.

"You wish me to carry this?"

"I do. I know that such a pistol has the reputation of much noise and little harm, but this one has been modified to take a larger ball. Still of a rather short range, but more stopping power. I pray that you never need to use it, but if you do, I pray too that you do not hesitate."

She nodded. "Thank you, Uncle Silas."

"I never married. The only woman I ever loved died of a fever less than a month before our wedding day. You, dear Roxane, are the nearest I will ever have to a daughter of my own, so carry that pistol, and if you ever need to use it, do not hesitate. I want you back safe."

"Then I shall do everything in my power to ensure that I come back safe, Uncle." She gestured. "I am packed and ready."

"Alex will be back presently."

"Do you know where we go?"

"I'm afraid I do not. All I know is that Alex makes rendezvous with a French lugger in two days, and that the information the lugger carries will decide your destination."

"Then I must contain my impatience."

"I fear so, but I think that is Alex returning."

It was, and Gilroy smiled at her. "You are ready?"

"I am. For quite what, I know not, but no doubt things will become clearer in a day or two."

"Pray that they do. One thing I forgot to ask. What manner of sailor are you?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"My apologies. What I meant was, are you prone to seasickness?"

"Never in my life so far, but no doubt there will come a day."

"The forecast is fair, but that can change within the hour. If you are ready, then I see no reason to delay. Silas, you will pass the despatches back to England?"

"The brig sails at nine. The despatches will be on it. My word on it."

"Very well. It is time, Lucille."

"Then, pray, let us go, Henri."

* * * * *

Chapter 4

The Pelican was busy when they went on board. She was conscious of curious looks, but no-one said anything. A fair-haired man in officer's clothing greeted them.

"Captain. We're ready to sail whenever you wish. Water is topped up, but we need more victuals if we're out for more than a month."

"Thank you, Mr James. Roxane, may I present Sam James, my first lieutenant? Sam, this is Roxane Harrison, but to everyone on this ship except we three and Mr. Collins, Madame Lucille de Boeuf." Gilroy kept his voice low, but no-one was within earshot.

"Ah. I see. Ma'am, your servant." James took her hand and bowed over it.

"Mr James."

"Sam? Is the cabin ready?"

"Aye, sir, it is. Fresh linen on the bunk, as you requested, and, er, sanitary facilities. Madame de Boeuf should be comfortable."

"Thank you, Mr James." Gilroy turned to Roxane. "This way, please. Your bags will be brought in a moment." He turned, leading the way below. Used to being on similar vessels, Roxane knew when to duck, and what to hold on to, and was unsurprised to find herself being led to the captain's quarters.

"You should be comfortable here, Lucille."

"Your quarters, Captain? Where do you sleep?"

"The Pelican is without a second lieutenant at the moment. Mr McKay is presently recovering from a broken leg. He will rejoin the ship next time we make port, but in the meantime I have appropriated his cabin."

She smiled. "It might have made more sense to put me in Mr McKay's cabin, would it not?"

Gilroy laughed. "Aye, happen it would, were it bigger than the locker with a bunk that it is. In my cabin, at least you will have space to turn around."

She nodded. "Thank you, Captain."

"The door locks. You will be safe, I promise, but lock it anyway. I suggest you get what sleep you can. As I said, we sail at three. Inevitably there will be some noise, but I shall endeavour to keep it to a minimum."

"Not at the risk of endangering the Pelican, I trust? I have sailed before, Henri," she said, and he smiled, "and I am well aware of normal ship noise."

"Very well, ma chere Lucille. I bid you goodnight. Tomorrow?"

"What about tomorrow?"

"Hot water for your toilet? What time?"

"I am used to rising early, so any time after seven."

She enjoyed the little voyage, and reflected on how much more she might have enjoyed it had it not been a time of war. Gilroy managed to make time to make her at ease, introducing some of his officers, but to them all, except Sam James and the surgeon, Collins, she was Lucille de Boeuf. It was dusk of the second day when they made their rendezvous.

The French lugger was salt-stained, in need of a coat of paint, a working boat. The captain was a disreputable-looking, unshaven individual, surprisingly young for his position. Roxane found out why when Gilroy led her to the wardroom, where James and the French captain sat. The two men looked up at her, James smiling, the French captain alert, curious.

"M'sieu le capitaine," said Gilroy, "ma femme, Madame Lucille de Boeuf."

The captain stood, and bowed to Roxane. "Madame." He looked up at her and smiled. "Has this reprobate told you what you're getting yourself into?" he said, the English pure, clear.

Gilroy grinned at the startled expression on her face. "Lucille, may I present the Honourable Rufus Le Bon, Commander Le Bon, although for the moment he is Pierre Dulon, captain of the Belle Arc."

She nodded. "A fellow officer?"

"Indeed," said Le Bon. "Normally the captain of the bomb ketch Ares, but for the moment creeping in and out of French ports, pretending to be French." Le Bon shrugged. "Most of the crew are related to me, either by birth or by marriage, and a third of them French by birth. It gives me an advantage."

"I can see that it would. It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance, sir."

"The pleasure, Madame de Boeuf, is entirely mine."

The lugger landed them in a little cove, out of sight of any habitation. Le Bon himself conned the boat which took them ashore, and carried Roxane's bags, while Gilroy carried Roxane, to keep her feet dry in the waves breaking on the beach. He lowered her above the high water mark, and Le Bon put the bags beside her.

"Thank you, Captain," said Roxane.

He gave a Gallic shrug, and made a face. "I only wish I was collecting you after a successful mission, rather than leaving you to French mercy."

Roxane smiled. "I, too, Captain. Thank you."

Le Bon nodded, and turned to Gilroy. "Look after her, Alex."

Gilroy nodded. "I will." He gestured towards the lugger. "Time you left us."

"I fear so." Le Bon held out his hand, and the two men shook hands, then Le Bon turned on his heel without another word and in moments, was on his way back to his ship, barely visible beyond the surf, and Roxane appreciated easily why the Belle Arc carried such dark-coloured sails.

Gilroy took Roxane's hand and turned to the man who had met them. "My dear, this is Jean-Pierre Ducos, an old friend. He cannot speak, so do not expect it. Jean-Pierre? Ma femme, Lucille."

Ducos nodded curtly, then gestured towards the trees.

"Come, wife," said Gilroy, "we must get well away from this beach, in case the lugger was spotted."

The horses were waiting for them. A spirited dark bay for Gilroy, a smaller, gentler, bay mare for Roxane, and a packhorse, with a pack frame, to which their bags were quickly fitted. No more than three or four minutes after saying goodbye to Le Bon, they were mounted and leaving the beach, threading their way through dunes and scrub, to find themselves on a narrow road. Ducos pointed North, and Gilroy nodded.

"Au 'voir, mon ami," he said. Ducos gave a wry smile, nodded to Roxane, and headed away, South. Gilroy turned to Roxane. "Into the lions' den, I fear."

"Where do we go?"

"St. Clair de Bethune, for our first night, but for the present, we need to be several kilometres closer and then as the afternoon moves into evening, we ride into St. Clair and pretend we've been riding much of the day." Gilroy paused. "The horses will be unreasonably fresh. Will it embarrass you if I infer that we dallied somewhere along the way?"

Roxane laughed. "We are posing as a newly-wed couple, no? Then such dalliance is not only normal, but expected." She gestured. "Oh, I shall probably flush and look embarrassed, but that will seem natural enough, surely?"

Gilroy nodded. "It will, most surely. For now though, we find somewhere among the trees to spend some time waiting."

It was a long day, some of which Roxane slept away, some she watched while Gilroy dozed. They'd found a spring, so fresh water was not a problem, and they had enough supplies from the Belle Arc for the day. Gilroy had resisted the temptation to take more. As he'd said, 'We're on our honeymoon. We eat well, in inns and taverns, not hard-tack and ship's biscuit lurking in the woods. No one will be surprised if we take time to, well, indulge ourselves.' He gave her a wry look. "We did not make time to discuss this properly, but I trust that you realise the necessity, that we must share a bedroom?"

Roxane nodded. "I had worked that out for myself, cher Henri. I am sure I can rely on your honour and gallantry?"

Gilroy nodded, face sober. "My life on it."

"Well, then, we'll manage." Roxane giggled suddenly, and Gilroy's eyebrows arched in query. Roxane flushed, but held his eye. "We may occasionally have to make relevant noises, else we incur suspicion."

Gilroy laughed. "I'm sure we'll manage."

"You must be the guide in that, as I fear I have no experience in such a situation."

"I think that is the case for both of us," Gilroy began, but paused at her look of surprise. He smiled, a little wry. "I meant of marriage, not the, um, er." He faltered to a halt, and Roxane surprised herself by continuing.

"The way of a man with a maid, perhaps?" she said, feeling heat in her cheeks.

"Exactly so, but may we change the subject? I feel myself floundering."

"Surely not, Henri." She broke off at his signal to be silent. "What is it?" she whispered.

"I thought I heard voices," he said, his tone pitched to carry only to her. He eased to his feet and moved to the edge of the trees, peering out carefully. he watched for a minute or two, then Roxane could see him relax. He came back, smiling.

"A shepherd, a small flock, and two dogs. 'Tis as well the dogs were too busy containing the flock to wonder about our scent." He moved over to the horses, and began tightening the cinches. "We'll give him a couple of minutes and then join the road."

"Henri?"

"Oui?"

"Remind me of the background for these parts we play?"

"We play the part of a small businessman and his new bride. We have persuaded my sister and her husband to look after our affairs for a few days while we indulge ourselves in whatever newly-weds do when they have time to do so, and are spending a little of our money on ourselves. What think you?"

Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,354 Followers