Orphan Ch. 05-08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It wasn't long before the schooner came about and drew alongside the fishing-boat as the way fell off. Willing hands in the chains grappled the fishing boat with boathooks and drew the two vessels together. Roxane looked up into the concerned face of Gilroy's first lieutenant.

"Madame de Boeuf! I had not looked to see you here! The captain? Is he dead?"

"Wounded, Mr James. He needs the attention of your surgeon."

"And he shall have it! Stand by for a sling, Ma'am, and we'll bring you aboard."

"No need for that, Mr. James. Tend to the captain, for I can climb your ladder."

"Aye-aye, ma'am!"

Five minutes later, Roxane watched as the captain was raised aboard the Pelican on a makeshift bed, the men raising him being very careful, and it occurred to Roxane that Gilroy's men held him in affection as well as respect.

"Ma'am, I - " James hesitated.

"The captain's own cabin, Mr James. Best if there is room for the surgeon to attend him."

"Aye, ma'am. Thank you."

"For what?" She shook her head. "I only sailed the boat, Mr. James. The captain got us safely to the shore and out to steal that fishing boat. I suspect that we disturbed a guard who had fallen asleep, and the captain was unlucky enough to be the one of us who the guard managed to hit."

James nodded, a wry smile on his face. "Such is the way of these things. It could just as easily have been you."

Roxane's answering smile was equally wry. "I try to suppress that thought, Mr. James." She gestured as the men carrying Gilroy moved carefully past. "Lead the way."

In Gilroy's cabin the men carefully eased the captain onto his bunk and at a signal from James, left him, Roxane and the surgeon, Collins, in the cabin. James signalled the other man forward and he bent to examine Gilroy.

"Ma'am?" said Collins. "These bandages? Where did you get them?"

"They were cut from the shift I was wearing when the captain was shot, Mr. Collins."

"Clean, then. Excellent. I fear I must loose them, so that I may examine the wound. I need to remove the ball."

"I have already removed it, Mr. Collins. I also removed some of the captain's shirt from the wound."

"I do not wish to offend you, ma'am, but I must examine the wound myself. I - "

Roxane held up her hand to stop him going on. "Mr. Collins, you will only offend me if you do not examine the wound. I tended the captain's wound in the dark on a moving fishing boat which I was also trying to sail. I fear only too well that I may have left something in the wound."

Collins nodded, giving her a half smile. "May I ask what you used to remove the ball?"

"The captain's own dirk, and this," said Roxane, holding up her left hand with the little finger extended. "And I must wash, as soon as I am able." Collins nodded, and turned to James.

"Sam, if you and the lady could hold the captain steady, so that the wound is uppermost, I shall cut the bandages off. That will be easier on the captain than trying to get him to sit up." Collins turned to Roxane. "Where was he shot?"

"Just below the ribs, towards the rear, on his right side."

"Ease him onto his left side, then, and hold him steady."

Gilroy was still unconscious, but breathing steadily, and they managed to turn him without incident. Collins carefully cut the bandage, and eased the pad Roxane had made away from the wound. He bent close and sniffed.

"Clean, I think. I need more light, and some hot water. Sam?"

James nodded. "At once. He turned towards the door, drew a breath, and yelled, "Harris?"

The door opened immediately, and a seaman looked in. "Sir?"

"Hot water and a lamp, please, Harris."

"Sir!" And the seaman was gone. To return less than five minutes later with a tin pail of hot water, and a lamp. "Hot water and lamp, sir."

"Thank you, Harris. Stand by outside, please."

"Aye, sir."

Collins stood the pail near Gilroy's bunk. "Ma'am? You said you needed to wash your hands, no?"

"Indeed so, Mr. Collins."

"There is a ewer of cold water over there. Take some of this hot, and wash your hands. I may have need of a small hand in a moment, to aid me."

Roxane nodded. "At once, sir." She unfastened and stripped off her jacket, then unbuttoned the cuffs of her blouse and rolled back the sleeves. Washing her hands took only moments, but the water was murky when she'd finished. She dried her hands quickly on the rough towel that James passed to her, and moved back to where she could see Gilroy.

"Sam?" said Collins. "Can you brace the captain? Ma'am, if you'd hold the lamp so that it illuminates the wound? Mayhap then I can see if the wound is clean." The tasks were quickly accomplished, and Roxane held the lamp so that it gave the maximum amount of light on Gilroy's wound. Collins used a probe to search the wound and Gilroy moved involuntarily as the probe moved. Eventually, Collins straightened, and smiled at Roxane.

"You did an excellent job, ma'am. The wound is clean - no foreign matter. I shall re-bandage the Captain, if you and Mr. James can assist me again?"

Ten minutes later, the re-bandaging done, Collins collected together his surgical instruments and packed them away in his bag. He turned to James.

"Sam, Captain Gilroy has lost a lot of blood, I fear, judging by the ruins of his shirt and the stain on his breeches. He must rest. He also needs to be kept warm." He frowned. "It would also be sensible to remove his clothing. For burning, I fear. I suggest that we cut his clothing away, thus saving him the discomfort of being moved."

"I shall turn my back, if you think it apt," said Roxane.

Collins smiled. "I doubt it would embarrass the captain, ma'am, but for your modesty's sake, perhaps yes."

Roxane turned away, and she could hear the sibilance of a sharp knife moving through cloth, a few rustles, and then Collins spoke again.

"It is done, ma'am. You may turn. The captain is decently covered."

"I shall have extra blankets sent down," said James. He frowned and turned to Roxane. She nodded.

"I will attend the captain, Mr. James. No need for any of your crew to avoid their duties. She looked down at herself, and gave James a rueful smile. "I have been dirtier, I think, but not since I was a child. I would change, but my clothes are abandoned in France, and I have no changes on board."

James nodded. "And we have no ladies clothing on board, of course." He frowned. "How tall are you, ma'am? Five feet six?"

"Seven. Five feet seven. May I ask why you need to know my height?"

"We have a couple of midshipmen on board, about your height. I may be able to borrow some clothing for you, although it will be men's clothing, of course."

"Of course. If you can, Mr. James, I should be grateful." She smiled. "I fear that any embarrassment I might have felt in dressing as a male disappeared when the captain was shot."

"Indeed so, ma'am. If you will excuse me?"

"Of course."

James went out, and Collins moved towards her. "Ma'am? The captain must be kept still, and kept warm." He grimaced, apologetic. "It is much to ask, I know." He paused.

She held his eye. "You ask that I warm him with my body?"

Collins flushed, and nodded. "Aye."

"Mr. Collins, Captain Gilroy saved my life, possibly. He certainly saved me from capture. Aye, and perhaps worse. If my keeping him warm can aid his recovery, then I do it willingly."

"Thank you. Alex Gilroy once saved my life, too." Collins gestured towards the door. "I shall get Mr. James to post a sentry. If you need aught let him know, and word will be passed."

"Thank you." He nodded, picked up his bag, and went out. She sat, watching Gilroy. He seemed peaceful, and she relaxed a little. A tap on the door, and James came in, a bundle of clothing under his arm, along with two blankets.

"Miss Harrison? Mr Jenks has kindly loaned you his best breeches, and a fine linen shirt. He also suggests that his spare nightshirt may be of use, later. Now, are you hungry?"

"Aye, Mr. James, I am."

"I shall have some food sent along in a little while. It is nigh on noon, and the hands will be eating soon. Did you get any sleep at all last night?"

"None, I fear. I was too busy looking to the captain."

James nodded. "I thought as much. After you have eaten, try to take a nap. I am leaving someone on duty outside the door. If you need anything, let him know, and I shall see to it."

"Could some more hot water be sent down with the food? I could do with giving myself a better wash than I managed before." She chuckled. "And before I don Mr Jenks's clothes."

"I'll see to it." James paused. "Miss Harrison? My thanks, for seeing my captain safe."

"Mr. James, it was as much Captain Gilroy seeing me safe, as I him."

"Nevertheless, my thanks. Food, and hot water, as soon as I can."

"Thank you." She gestured. "Before you go, the blankets?"

"Indeed," said James, and the two of them spread the blankets over the sleeping Gilroy. He smiled at Roxane, and went out.

A few minutes later, a tap on the door. "Yes?" she called. The door opened and a cheerful face looked round the edge.

"Hot water, miss, and a plate of food. Cook didn't know what you wanted to drink, so he sent a mug of tea." The plate was generously piled with food, and the mug was huge. "Can you take the tray, please, miss?"

"Of course." She reached out and took the tray, placing it on the captain's little table. The seaman put the pail of hot water in a corner. He straightened, and turned to her.

"Thanks for bringing the captain back safe, miss. We need him."

She nodded. "I understand."

"Thankee, miss." The seaman knuckled his brow in salute. He turned to go, but paused. "When you're finished, miss? Don't worry about the plate and mug. Whoever brings a meal later will collect them. Mr James said to tell you that I will be on watch just outside, and if you want anything, to let me know. Right?"

"Yes. Thank you." He nodded again, and went out, carefully closing the door behind him.

Roxane turned to the plate of food, and fought a laugh. Way too much for me, she thought, then surprised herself by finishing it all. She drained the mug of tea and sat back, replete. She looked across at Gilroy, still sleeping. Or was he unconscious, she wondered, and how did one tell. The pail of hot water caught her eye, and she straightened. Time to wash.

With water in the bowl, she unbuttoned her blouse and shrugged it off, leaving her wearing only Gilroy's breeches. Time for these to go, too, she thought, and untied the line pulling in the waist to somewhere nearer her size, letting the breeches drop to the deck. She stepped out of them, and began to wash herself. The hoarse voice startled her.

"Truly, Roxane, you are loveliness itself."

She turned, careless of her nakedness, to see Gilroy's eyes open, and upon her.

"Alex! How do you feel?" she said, her feet beginning to carry her to his bedside, but she paused, flushing, and grabbed Mr. Jenks's nightshirt, quickly pulling it over her head. A corner of her mind was wondering why she hadn't turned her back to him.

"How do I feel? As if I'd been shot in the back, that's how I feel." He paused. "My own cabin, so we must be on the Pelican. You brought us safe to her, single-handed, Roxane, my dear, and I think I owe you my life."

"Perhaps. Perhaps I owe you mine, for it was you who got us to the coast safe, who found the fishing boats."

Gilroy managed a smile. "Aye, and got myself shot. I should have taken more care, checked to see if there was anyone on guard."

"We saw no-one. If a guard had been set, he was hidden out of sight. Do not blame yourself, Alex, for I do not blame you."

"You may well have the truth of it, Roxane. I suspect that the sentry, if such he was, had fallen asleep and it was the noise of us launching the rowboat over the shingle that woke him." Gilroy grimaced. "Not experienced, either, I would hazard, else why so quick to fire? There is the chance we might have been genuine fishermen."

"Perhaps the fishermen had been warned not to set out, last night. If that was so, anyone launching a boat would be suspect."

"Perhaps. I hazard we'll never know." Gilroy paused. "Could you let me have a drink of water, perhaps?"

Roxane flushed. "Of course. Just one moment." The tin mug which had contained her tea was handy, so she quickly rinsed it in the bowl and poured it half full from the ewer. When she turned, Gilroy was trying to raise himself.

"Alex! Don't! You'll hurt yourself. Let me help you."

"It might be easier if you got someone in to help you, Roxane."

"Let's try." She set the cup carefully on the edge of Gilroy's bunk. "Don't move your legs, or it will spill." Moving carefully, she slid her right arm under Gilroy's shoulder, then eased him up, so that his shoulders lifted from the mattress. She reached out for the cup, and lifted it to his lips, tipping it carefully to minimise the flow. A sigh came from him as the cool water trickled into his mouth, and he swallowed.

"Thank you, dear Roxane."

"Enough? Or a little more?"

"Just a little more, please, and then I fear I must sleep again."

"You will heal faster if you sleep. Mr. Collins thinks you lost quite a lot of blood."

"I fear he is right. Were I in a fight with a three-year-old, the youngster would win!"

"You fight no-one today, Alex Gilroy. Lie back, and sleep."

"I will, I think. Thank you again, dear Roxane."

"'Tis little enough that I do, and it means the minimum disruption to your crew."

There was no answer. Gilroy was asleep again. Roxane smiled. Perhaps now I may don Mr Jenk's breeches and shirt. She had no sooner done so than there was a tap on the door.

"Ma'am? Madame de Boeuf?"

"Come in, Mr. James."

Gilroy's first lieutenant came in, ducking automatically to clear the beam across the cabin. He nodded to her and smiled.

"How is the captain? Has he roused?"

"A few moments ago, yes. I gave him a drink of water and he settled back to sleep again. He needs the rest."

"And so do you, I think." James smiled. "The captain was fortunate in his choice of companion, for I do not think many young gentlewomen capable of the single-handed journey you made, with a wounded and helpless man as your only companion."

"Ah, but Mr. James, the captain told you my real name, Roxane Harrison. It was Harrison's yard, my father, who built the Pelican. I have been sailing since I was seven years old. Not all of the time, to be sure, but enough that I remembered what I needed to know."

"Is it so? Your father built a fine ship. I was truly sad to learn of his death."

"Thank you, Mr. James."

He nodded. "Mr McKay's cabin is readied for you, Miss Harrison. If I may be frank, you look exhausted."

"But what of the captain?"

"One of our midshipmen, Mr. Philips, is recovering from a broken arm. He has volunteered to sit with the captain until the evening meal. By then, you might have managed to get some rest, and may watch over the captain again." James gave her a wry smile. "It will be morning before we make port, and the glass is falling. There may well be some bad weather tonight. The captain might do better with a woman's gentle touch, should he need support through the night."

"I admit freely, Mr. James, that I find the thought of getting some sleep is very seductive."

"Sleep then, Miss Harrison. The captain will be well looked after I promise you."

"Very well, Mr. James. As soon as your Mr. Philips gets here I shall retire to Mr. McKay's cabin. Next but one, I believe?"

"Indeed so." James gave her a tired smile. "I wish you a peaceful sleep."

And it was peaceful. After she had greeted the blushing young midshipman and given him a few simple instructions, she had climbed into McKay's narrow bunk, and knew nothing until the evening meal.

* * * * *

And that's the second part of this tale done. Feedback welcome. Genuine analytical criticism is particularly welcome. I may ignore it, but I welcome it!