Patches of Ice

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MugsyB
MugsyB
2,729 Followers

Hilary's face broke into a wide grin and she ran over to the bed. Lena laughed as her friend bounced up beside her and gave her a warm hug.

"I'm sorry for what I said before," Hilary told her. "I was just... I don't know. I worry for you."

"I know and I love you for it, Hil."

"I'm sure that whatever happened between you and Anatoli, you'll work it out," Hilary said and patted Lena's arm.

"You don't even know him," Lena said with a laugh.

"No, but I know you, and he'd be a dumbass if he didn't make it up to you however he could."

Lena sighed. "What if it was all my fault?"

Hilary sat up and looked at her. "Was it?"

Shrugging, Lena sat up as well and met Hilary's gaze. "I honestly don't know. One minute we were just talking and I told him he should get ready for practice and the next minute... I don't know. He was upset with me and I was upset and we both said some things..." She trailed off with a sigh.

"Oh, Lena. I'm sure it's not as bad as you think. He'll call you tonight."

Lena rolled her eyes at her friend. "He's got a game tonight, Hil."

Leaping to her feet, Hilary hauled on Lena's hand until she stood up as well. "Then we'll watch the game."

"You don't even like hockey." Lena laughed but went with Hilary anyway.

"I like hockey," Hilary replied with a sniff. "Just because I don't watch every game or because I don't know all the rules and players doesn't mean I don't like it." Then her face split into a grin. "You're the one who didn't like hockey until you met Anatoli."

Lena had to laugh because it was true. They settled on the couch and turned on the game in the living room. At the first commercial break, Hilary popped some popcorn and they boiled water for hot chocolate. Then they snuggled together under a blanket and discussed how much they didn't know about hockey.

"I mean, seriously, why do they blow the whistle every time the puck passes that line," Hilary said at one point. "What the hell is offside anyway?"

Lena laughed and explained as best as she could. Not that she was any kind of authority on the sport, but even in her short time with Anatoli, she'd picked up a few things.

"So which one is Anatoli?" Hilary asked after another few minutes.

"Number 8," Lena said, her eyes locating him as he skated out for his shift.

They watched in silence for a minute and then he skated off to the bench again.

"Wow," Hilary breathed. "He's really something."

Lena nodded in silence. Her chest felt tight. She didn't know how anyone could try to make him stop doing what he did so well. It made her ache to think that some woman in his past might have done that to him. She let out her breath and tipped her head to rest it on Hilary's shoulder as they continued to watch the game.

"I'm sorry for making you doubt him, Lena," Hilary said after a few minutes of comfortable silence.

"I know."

"I just... I didn't want you to get hurt like... like I did."

Lena lifted her head to look at her friend, her eyebrows lifted in silent inquiry. Hilary sighed and rubbed her cheek.

"Back in college, I dated a guy from the hockey team," Hilary said. "It... it didn't end well. I went to surprise him at one of his away games and I found him in bed with some other girl."

"Oh, Hil," Lena breathed, hugging her friend. "That's awful. I'm so sorry."

"I guess I let that... affect me," Hilary went on.

"Well, of course it would."

"I should never have pushed those opinions on you. Anatoli is nothing like my ex-boyfriend."

Lena smiled and nodded. "You were just trying to look out for me. Thanks, Hil."

After her confession, Hilary got up to get them more hot chocolate. Then they settled back in to watch the final period.

While Anatoli was his usual strong presence on the ice that night, the team couldn't get it together in time for the win. Lena spotted gaps in his intensity and wondered if he was distracted somehow. Then she shook her head. There's no way they'd become close enough for their fight to affect his game that much. So she just watched, chatted with her friend, and tried to stop wondering if he'd ever call her.

***

It was a miserable game. Made worse by his miserable mood. Anatoli could not focus to save his life. He scored one goal and barely assisted on another one. In the end they lost the game and he still felt terrible about how he'd spoken to Lena earlier.

For a while, he stared into space in the locker room following the game. Some of the guys tried to get his attention, or talk to him, but he was zoned out. No matter how much it pained him, all he could hear were his words to Lena, and all he saw was the hurt look in her eyes. Groaning, he hung his head in his hands and tried to figure out what had come over him.

"Obie, man, what's going on with you?" Drew asked, sitting down beside him. "You've been mopey all day."

"Mopey?" Anatoli echoed dully without lifting his head. "Is that something like feeling stupid?"

Drew chuckled and patted his shoulder. "No matter how stupid you are, I'm sure your lady will give you another shot."

Anatoli shook his head ruefully. "I don't know. I was pretty stupid."

"What did you do? Tell her she's fat?"

"What? No!" Anatoli jerked upright and glared at his teammate.

"Well, good. Because most women don't react well to that," Drew replied and looked away for a second. "Take it from me."

Anatoli stared at his teammate for a minute and then laughed. "You know, I think I wasn't that stupid."

"Then you've definitely got a chance to make it up to her," Drew said with a grin. "You want some advice on how to win her back?"

"Not from you," Anatoli replied and jumped to his feet. He hurriedly changed and left the arena.

Once back at home, his fears resurfaced. He went from the kitchen to the living room to his bedroom and all he did was relive the time he'd spent with Lena. He knew he'd been a jerk and he wouldn't blame her if she never spoke to him again.

He still couldn't understand why he'd said those things to her. She'd just been trying to let him focus on his game today and he'd accused her of being after his money. Which was ridiculous, since she hadn't even known who he was when they'd met. He'd just been reminded of Natasha and decided that lashing out would hurt less than falling in love.

He climbed the stairs to his room and changed out of his clothes. Lying down, he breathed deeply and caught the scent of Lena lingering on his pillows. Sighing, he rolled over and buried his nose in the fabric, inhaling her scent. He decided that he'd call her in the morning. For now, he tried to forget about it and go to sleep.

***

When Anatoli woke up the next morning, his first thought was that he might as well have just stayed up all night. The sleep he'd managed to get had been minimal and broken, and his eyes felt swollen from his lack of rest. And still his mind rolled over and over the fight with Lena.

He glanced at the clock beside his bed and was surprised to see that it was past ten in the morning. He reached for the phone, figuring that Lena would be awake by now as well. Then he hung up before completing the call, knowing that a simple phone call just wouldn't cut it this time.

Rising, he threw on some jeans and a shirt and brushed a hand half-heartedly through his hair. Within minutes he was in his car, leaving his driveway. On the drive to Lena's apartment, he tried to think of the right words to say to her. He talked to himself and he even shouted at himself in the mirror only to end up shaking his head at being so foolish.

At last he pulled up in front of her apartment and jumped out of his car before he could change his mind. The door upstairs opened after a couple knocks but it wasn't Lena who greeted him.

"Yes?" a fair-haired woman said, holding the door open barely three inches.

"You must be Hilary," Anatoli said, calling to mind the name of Lena's roommate.

"And you are?" she asked, still wary.

"Anatoli Oborotenski," he answered and held his hand out.

Her eyes widened and a second later she flung the door wide, clasping his hand. "Oh my God," she breathed. "You're Anatoli."

"Last time I checked," he agreed, smiling at her.

"It's very nice to meet you."

"You as well," he agreed and gently pulled his hand from hers. "Um, is Lena home?"

Her face fell and she shook her head. "She went out early this morning. I haven't seen her."

Anatoli felt all the breath leave his lungs in a gush. His smile faded and he stepped back. "Oh. You don't know where she went?"

Hilary bit her lip and blushed crimson instead of answering.

"You do know where she went," Anatoli said, his hope returning. "Please, will you tell me?"

"I can't. I promised her I wouldn't."

"Really? You can't tell me anything?"

"I can tell you that she's at her favorite place," Hilary said and smiled again. "I'm sorry. I think she might like to talk to you."

"You think so?" Anatoli asked with a laugh. "I don't know."

Hilary tipped her head to one side and nodded. "I wouldn't have either. We talked for a long time last night and she..." She stopped abruptly and looked down.

"She what?" Anatoli prompted, eager for any idea of what Lena might think of him.

"She likes you. More than even she knows, I think," Hilary said and laughed. "God, she'd kill me if she knew I was telling you this."

Anatoli smiled. He was beginning to understand Lena a little bit more every minute.

"You sure you can't tell me where she is?" he tried again.

"You'll find her, Anatoli," Hilary said and reached out to pat his arm. "You know her well enough by now, I think."

"I don't know," Anatoli repeated.

"I can't tell you anything," Hilary said and her eyes narrowed. "If you really want to find her and talk, you'll figure it out." With that she stepped back and closed the door in front of him.

He hung his head for a minute, thinking about what Hilary had told him, lingering on her description of Lena's feelings for him.

Well, he thought decisively. I can top that.

He turned and ran down the hallway, knowing exactly where to find her.

***

Lena loved spending time in the library. She would spend entire days there if it was possible, doing nothing except browsing through the books and reading them. She recalled telling Anatoli about her desire to be a librarian but suspected she wouldn't last long in that career. Her time at work would end up being spent reading, instead of helping other people find the books they needed.

She smiled to herself as she replaced one book on the shelf and wandered around to the next row. A movement near the entrance caught her eye and she stopped short, staring.

Impossibly, there was Anatoli, looking around.

Gasping, Lena dodged behind a shelf before he could spot her. Her heart was pounding and she felt a line of sweat break out on her brow. She tilted her head back and squeezed her eyes shut, trying to convince herself that she'd imagined seeing him there. Drawing in a deep breath, she leaned to the side to look for him again.

Yup. There he was.

Oh shit, she thought. Oh shit, shit, shit.

She risked another glance and just about screamed as someone else came walking around the shelf right in front of her. The other woman gave her a funny look and continued on her way as Lena frantically looked for Anatoli. He was gone from the entrance and she glanced around, trying to spot his head above the people and shelves.

What is he doing here? she wondered, sticking a finger in her mouth and gnawing on the nail. Hilary wouldn't have told him; she promised me.

All the while, her eyes darted around the library, trying to find where he'd gone. A minute later, as she leaned cautiously around the edge of the shelf, she felt a warmth at her back and stood up straight.

"Oof!" Anatoli's gruff voice startled her and she spun around to face him. He was rubbing a spot on his chest and that was when Lena felt the dull ache at the back of her head. She'd bumped her head into his chest when she'd straightened so quickly.

"You scared the hell out of me," she hissed at him, lifting a hand to touch her head.

Anatoli's eyes were warm and before she could step out of his range, he cupped the back of her head, stroking her scalp. "I'm sorry," he murmured. Then he stooped slightly to look directly into her eyes. "I'm sorry."

She knew he wasn't just talking about startling her or bumping into her. Her heart gave a tremendous thump and she swallowed. Still, she didn't know what to say to him. So she remained silent.

"Lena, I should never have said those things to you," he said, his voice remaining low and soft. "I'm so stupid and I understand if you hate me."

"I don't hate you," she blurted and flushed when her voice came out as a croak.

His eyes brightened and the hand on her head moved, turning to a caress instead of soothing touch. "You don't?"

"No," she whispered, dropping her eyes. She didn't know what else to say. He had hurt her with his words but she suspected that she might have hurt him a little bit as well. But he's here, in front of me, she thought and risked a peek at him through her lashes. He's saying sorry. I can do that, too.

"I'm sorry, Anatoli."

He looked surprised. "Why?"

"I didn't mean to make you feel bad for doing your job. I was trying to keep from getting in your way. I know how important hockey is to you and you've been playing for far longer than you've known me."

"Really?" He still look surprised, butt he was smiling, his wide lips parting to reveal his gap-toothed grin.

"I guess I didn't explain very well yesterday," she added sheepishly.

"Well, I still shouldn't have said what I did," he replied. "I'm sorry. I know you're not just seeing me for my money."

She flushed as she recalled that part of her argument and nodded, saying nothing.

"I just... I have no luck with women," he said and his grin widened. "Until now." As he spoke, he slipped his other arm around her waist and drew her close. "You make me feel very lucky."

Her eyebrows shot up and she laughed. "I don't know about that. Didn't you lose last night?"

Instantly his grin disappeared and he scowled at her, making her laugh again.

"I'm sorry," she said between giggles. "I didn't mean to make you feel bad. It was a good game anyway."

"You watched it?"

"Of course. I can't help it now. You've got me hooked."

He chuckled and nodded. "I'm glad. If you like watching."

"I love it. Well, at least I do when you're playing." She figured she might as well go ahead and admit it. He'd come all this way, found her in the library and apologized to her.

His grin was back and she felt her knees grow weak. Luckily, his arm around her was strong and the look in his eyes was captivating.

"I am sorry, Lena," he said it again then. "I want to make it up to you."

"Do you?" she asked, lifting her eyebrows. "How are you going to do that?"

"You want me to tell you?" he asked as he leaned close and brushed his lips over hers. "Or show you?"

A shiver went all through her, tracing up her spine and making her entire head tingle. His fingers moved in her hair, tipping her head back as he kissed her more firmly this time, his tongue just teasing her lips before he drew back.

"Show me," she breathed, her eyes fluttering closed as he deftly licked her bottom lip.

"OK," he agreed and stepped back.

She gasped and almost stumbled but he steadied her with one hand. "What are you doing?"

He gave her a funny look and grinned broadly at her. "Well, I can't show you here, can I?" he asked, gesturing at the library.

She blushed crimson and bit her lower lip. "I guess not," she mumbled in agreement.

"Come," he said, taking her hand and giving her a gentle tug. "I have a few hours before practice today."

He lead her out of the library and down to his vehicle in the parking lot. Neither of them said much on the drive to his house but he didn't once let go of her hand. At a red light, he lifted her fingers to his lips and pressed warm kisses to her knuckles, drawing more shivers from her.

She wondered briefly if he'd be upset if she climbed into his lap as he drove.

Soon enough, they were walking into his house and he was urgently pulling her jacket off. When he crouched to pull her shoes off, she laughed and shoved him away. He straightened with a grin but didn't move away; she had nowhere near enough strength to make him go away.

"Is this your way of making it up to me?" she asked with a laugh.

His eyes darkened and he stepped close to her, trapping her back against the front door. Her breath caught in her throat as she looked into his crystalline eyes.

"I have a better idea," he told her, his voice husky.

She managed a weak nod, feeling her breathing quicken. Then she was standing there helpless as Anatoli undid the button of her pants and pushed them down over her hips. He stroked the skin above the waist of her panties and she shuddered, feeling moisture explode between her legs. With an evil smile on his face, Anatoli slid his fingers between her thighs and cupped her.

"Hmm," he made a noise of consideration while Lena struggled to stay on her feet.

Then he stroked his fingers against her, just skimming the sensitive skin under the fabric. She gasped, her hands flying up to grip his shoulders. Anatoli stepped forward, pinning her with his entire body. She felt the heat rush through her and she turned her face up for his kiss. He obliged, kissing her thoroughly and hungrily. All the while, his fingers stroked her below and he somehow managed to yank her underwear down her thighs. She helped, scissoring her legs and toeing out of her panties. She bit down on his lower lip as he slid his fingers up and inside of her, finding and exploiting the dampness there.

He pulled his hips back and Lena heard the sound of his zipper sliding down. Then he was pressing against her again, hot and hard for her. With a groan, he lifted her and she wrapped her legs around his waist. Another second passed and he was sliding up inside of her, filling her and drawing a moan from deep inside of her.

For a long moment, neither of them moved. They breathed each other in, their lips just barely touching. Then Lena flexed her hips against Anatoli and he let go. His pace was quick and Lena was left gasping with each forceful thrust. It was intense and heated and she felt her orgasm rushing towards her swiftly. She moaned long and loud when it crested and Anatoli sucked her lower lip into his mouth as she worked her body against his. He responded by pressing into her harder, pumping his hips faster and drawing another strangled moan from her lips.

"Anatoli," she moaned and slipped her tongue between his lips as he kissed her again.

That seemed to send him over the edge. His pace turned frantic for several seconds and then he groaned, thrusting hard into her one last time.

After what felt like eternity, Anatoli stepped back, pulling out of her and setting her back on her feet. Lena grinned up at him and brushed his hair back from his forehead.

"That was a fantastic way to make it up to me," she told him.

He laughed and shook his head as he bent down to pick her up in his arms. She yelped as her feet were swept from beneath her. Laughing, she clung to him as he carried her upstairs to his room.

"I'm not finished," he told her as he pressed a kiss to her temple.

They tumbled together onto his bed and he proved just how 'not finished' he was.

***

Lena was very soft in his arms. Every part of her that he touched yielded to the slightest pressure from his fingers. Anatoli felt like he could spend hours just stroking every inch of her. For now, in the aftermath of their love-making, she was rising to each caress and he had to tamp down the urge to roll her under him yet again.

MugsyB
MugsyB
2,729 Followers