All Comments on 'Renaissance Faire Ch. 07'

by jmmj5

Sort by:
  • 52 Comments
Harryin VAHarryin VAover 4 years ago
The torturing scene of Richard and the University president is ridiculous

And make no mistake about it to be chained up like that through the entire weekend about 72 hours Is flat out torture. The punishment is so over the top Ridiculous and unbelievable that it simply ruins the entire ending to this long and drawn out story.

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 4 years ago
its to long

but its worth the read. (5)

Bebop3Bebop3over 4 years ago
Satisfying Conclusion

I'm glad that I stuck with it to the end.

I look forward to your next story.

TajfaTajfaover 4 years ago

So Debbie shed a tear. She really got what she deserved! I was loving this story and while I wouldn't want extreme retribution I think she got off too lightly. She became a highly respected leader in her field as she really wanted all the time. I would at least have wanted her to find out from Richard that she was just there for sex and to hear about her breaking down when she saw what she han become. I also think Rob could have taken action much earlier if he didn't have a replacement ready in the wings. I'm a bit disappointed with the ending but am still giving 5 stars for the whole story.

bigbob2406bigbob2406over 4 years ago

I enjoyed it. A good fun read. Thanks very much.

Dunny69Dunny69over 4 years ago
Much as I thought.

Very long which is not a bad thing but the short chapters just broke the flow and where imho pointless. It kind of fizzled out in the end no retribution or suffering on the wife's part, no justice or major suffering on the two co conspirators. Dissapointing finish lacking passion drama and a bit of a damp squib really. Sorry I couldn't be more positive considering the effort you must have put in.

PowersworderPowersworderover 4 years ago

Good story, 5*.

My only criticism was that the ending felt a bit rushed. The epilogue was great, but you covered a lot in this final chapter and 90% of it was narrated. I think a final conversation between Rob and Debbie would've made the ending feel more emotionally satisfying. An apology from Debbie and her expressing her regret at how she destroyed their marriage would have been nice.

Debbie ending up childless and alone was fitting for a woman willing to sacrifice anything for her job. I know several career obsessed women who ended up lonely and very depressed when they hit their forties and realised they'd thrown away any chance of having a family. Debbie better get used to crying herself to sleep.

60031Guy60031Guyover 4 years ago
Great Series

I really enjoyed this story. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago

"many of whom were not pleased at having been coerced to stay and work for several days beyond graduation." - How can they be coerced if they've already graduated? Certainly not their grade, I suppose recommendations?

Harold's not helping would look "petty?" But his not helping rebuild the ChemE building wasn't petty?

Replacing a well-regarded program with a brand-new one that would take YEARS to build a similar rep doesn't seem like a sound business model.

"she had destroyed her marriage for no good purpose." - Can there ever be a "good" purpose? If everything had worked out exactly as she planned, would it have been worth destroying her marriage? It wouldn't be for most people, I would HOPE it wouldn't be for her!

Won't aggravating the townspeople hurt the school when the "bad" guys are gone and the "good" guys take over?

"two pillories on the end were held closed by weak magnets and timers" - Shouldn't this be "electromagnets," with the timers set to cut of the power (I assume battery power)?

I agree that the ending seems a little rushed with too much narrative, and Debbie comes out too good. I would have rather seen her teaching Freshman Art History at a small junior college.

SKHPSKHPover 4 years ago

The ending was disappointing!

Given the well-elabourated story and the academic setting, one could expect a sophisticated revenge rather than this prank and torture.

Some aspects remained unresolved:

Were Richard and/or Finebaum involved in the arson of the ChemE building? The fire seemed very convenient for Richards plans.

Who invented the material for the torturous pillories? Who constructed and produced the contraption?

If Finebaum and Richard did so much to be hated by the townsfolk as well as the university's students and staff, couldn't they be removed without use of such torturous and probably illegal means? According to the story, they made themselfes lots of enemies - and mistakes only arrogant and selfabsorbed people make.

Sorry, after full marks for several previous parts, this is not more than 3*.

SKHPSKHPover 4 years ago

Choise of tags for this series / chapter:

Who will ever look for tags as "metallurgy", "pillory" or "renaissance faire"? Tags should be abstract, but helpful to categorise a story. And the tag "Scotland" is also (even literally) far from the main contents of this chapter.

ttom76ttom76over 4 years ago
A fun story!

As they say down here, Thanks a heap!

I do agree with several of the criticisms given.

For me, you did a great job up to the last two chapters, then it became a mite bit flat. In earlier chapters, you gave us Debbie's insights into her actions. You switched to observations from others after that. I really wanted to experience her reactions in the 1st person.

Your revenge on the school president and Richard didn't make a lot of sense. It reminded me of the old saying, "Cutting off their nose to spite their face".

Granted, Aaron had diverted funds away from the fair's charities, but the traffic and notoriety from the pillory would strongly detract from future fairs. Frankly, it was enough the kill any future fairs. Thus, it made no sense. Especially as the prime movers were already on their way out.

As for those who felt that Debbie wasn't punished, she was. I really liked how it was handled. Very few people remain crushed. They, well, we rationalize our actions, to justify ourselves. Seeing Kate and her ex happy, with children, made her look beyond her excuses. Well done.

Oh, a good waterjet cutter will cut through anything. Lots of machine shops have them.

tttom

oneoldmanoneoldmanover 4 years ago

Absolutely GREAT story. If it had all been available at one time I would never have been able to put it down. Thank you very much.

BeBopper99BeBopper99over 4 years ago

5* Author saved the story at the excellent ending. It could have have been better if Debbie and Rob had a moment alone and he asked her:

"After all that scheming and slutting around, Was it all worth it in the end?"

ribnitinribnitinover 4 years ago

I found most of the series quite gripping. This last one didn't do it for me. It seemed too contrived. Nonetheless, I am happy I followed Renaissance Faire to the end.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 4 years ago
Two weeks?

The end was a bit much and somewhat unbelievable. Overall it was a great story and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks

GrimmerGrimmerover 4 years ago

Good tale however it felt a bit rushed in the end. The breakup of the chanpters broke the flow and detracted from the overall tale.

Wonder if they would let you rerelease it as a whole? Just a thought ...

john1946john1946over 4 years ago
A good story

I enjoyed the story but not the short chapters. I enjoy the longer stories that i can get into. Being retired does that. It was well written other than the chapters and I did enjoy it. Thank you very much.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 4 years ago

Fun story, good writing, enjoyed every chapter. Well done, thanks for posting.

bruce22bruce22over 4 years ago
Fascinating Tale

That Jane turned out to be a good President is fine with me but there is not enough information in the tale about why she was considered for the Presidency. This bit deserved another chapter.

njlaurennjlaurenover 4 years ago
Okay story

It was a bit over the top and the whole retribution thing was beyond suspending disbelief, the stocks situation, the street closure, were criminal offenses and in the real world would have been investigated and prosecuted. The other problem is that they could have fired Richard and the president for sexual harassment, they had Richard and the president openly talking about Debbie having sex with them and using the offer of a possible job to get her to go along, that would get them in deep shit even in an antediluvian place like Texas. I realize that it was part of the burn the bastard retaliation, but it kind of hurt the story.

The other thing that is unbelievable would be the president of a school putting a department of Renaissance studies above an engineering school,no way. These days with schools the prestige is all with STEM, arts and culture and the like are being cut back and eliminated in the rush to turn colleges into glorified trade schools.

phill1cphill1cover 4 years ago
I was on the fence until..

the last two chapters. IN the first chapters there was real emotion. The last two seemed very contrived and lacked serious connection with the first chapters.

And this chapter just left me astonished that you could think something like this would be satisfying to a reader: no real emotion from Debbie, again. I mean she went from "he's not after me..." to "I'm fucking him and marriage be damned..." in like one paragraph. and then she stopped being developed. Sad because it doesn't possible that she would do that simply for a teaching position that she probably would have gotten with her husband's connections anyway.

So, I give you points overall for the believable emotions the first few chapters evoked. But the follow through was pedestrian and not believable or satisfying.

studyingstudyingover 4 years ago
njlauren said it all

Unable to suspend disbelief that much.

MbgdallasMbgdallasover 4 years ago
Overall I liked story

I will agree with others that the ending seemed rushed. It would have been great to see Rob and Debbie together at the end having a discussion about what was going on in her head. It would also have been good to know just how much her mother was encouraging her.

I would have liked to have seen her mother raked over the coals for her part in this. She had to have had a part in this and in the end her coming around in favor of Rob seemed a little out of character.

And lastly I think Rob was a little quick to toss his marriage away. He should have been more forth right with Debbie about what he knew and laid down an ultimatum. He didn’t do enough to end it. Also, I don’t think he was much in love with Debbie toward the end and was realizing his mistake in not taking Kate instead of Debbie earlier in his life. He may have subconsciously wanted out of the marriage. He certainly acted like it and he could do so painting it all on Debbie.

My 3 cents and my 5 stars.

TailakaTailakaover 4 years ago
A step too far

The story was quite entertaining and relatively realistic. The problem would have been having businesses buy scrap metal from the University but pay the going rate for"Super Metals". The companies would not likely have done that as a favor.

Secondly taking 2 1/2 weeks to free Aaron & Richard. The Sheriff, local hospital & others would have gone ballistic at their owntime and effort wasted on cleaning up this prank. 3 or 4 days would maybe go unchallenged but 17 days is TOO far. That very likely would have spawned a felony criminal investigation for something akin to kidnapping/assault & battery.

FatStratFatStratover 4 years ago
Nice read.

Well, the story started off with great potential, very engaging. It then morphed into a romance with the unlikely opera scenario and then ended with the whole farce of the renaissance faire. I was disappointed that the wicked Mother-in-Law didn't get her comeuppance, and that the confrontation between Rob and Debbie was rather lackluster. If Sheila had been punished by being divorced and then Debbie realized that her ambitions caused two marriages to blow up, then perhaps I would be more satisfied that Debbie had suffered enough.

It was strange that the story was from Rob's POV but we didn't know that he decided upon divorce until we see the text after she had been served.

Anyway, the story could have gone in many different directions and the one chosen was sort of silly.

I did get one good tip from this story. I soon will be taking inventory of my wife's panties so that if I am ever unsure of her whereabouts, I will at least know what dainties she is wearing.

johnadpjohnadpover 4 years ago

Some issues I see with this tale:

1. Dialogue was really stilted. This isn't the way people talk to strangers, much less life long friends, lovers, spouses, etc.

2. None of the characters came to life. They all meshed together.

3. Insurance pays for arson. What they don't pay for someone who committed arson on their own property to get the benefits. If someone else burns down your house, or a campus building, they pay up.

4. Richard gets a blowjob and finger fucks Debbie during department Xmas party (mid-Dec.), but doesn't reschedule a "date" with her to get a chance to fuck her again till Valentine's date (mid-February)? Then he makes a big to do to take her on a research trip for a month in Rome the following summer. I understand all these things are meaningful for the MC, but no explanation why Richard is making so much effort with Debbie when he has all the other coeds that are single and unencumbered. Also, why doesn't Debbie say, "umm we can fuck any other day or night, except fucking Valentine's day, because it's fucking Valentine's day and my hubby MAY get suspicious about me spending it with you." Just the whole thing very very odd.

5. We are told the university has two colleges (engineering and renaissance history), but for some reason the president of the university is willing to fuck over one of the two colleges on his campus, just so that he can get the dean fired in "a few years"?

6. Does the author realize that people fuck, cheat and do all kinds of things that are not holiday related. Even though Debbie and Richard are spending so much time together, they only become intimate on Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's day, Summer break. Isn't it much easier to have an affair when others aren't around, and your spouse actually expects you to spend those holiday days with you?

7. Why does Richard still want to go to Italy with Debbie if he isn't really that into her and he was already regularly bedding her after Rob kicked her out? I understand, again, this is so Debbie could have a bigger fall, but it needs to make sense for the story.

8. The audio and video tapes were made illegally. Which means that not only are they inadmissible in court, but the trustees couldn't listen to it. If they did and fired anyone based on that they would have the biggest lawsuits on their hands.

9. The embezzlement was because the uni president had given "direct approval of Richard's travel, which contained some hotel expenses which were not research related." Are you kidding me? So the research trip was acceptable, but that some "hotel expenses" were not research related? I'm assuming them getting hotels were acceptable, since they wouldn't be expected to sleep on the streets, then what "hotel expenses" would be unacceptable when they couldn't have been incurred because they hadn't gone on the trip yet. Did they order a caviar dinner weeks in advance, before they got there? Just absolutely silly.

10. "He hadn't even travelled and was submitting expenses for things that were prepaid; another school violation." As long as the expenses are valid, any company, and I'm assuming a university, will happily pay for expenses upfront, as opposed to an employee incurring a large expense that has to be reimbursed. It's one thing to reimburse for mileage or two day hotel stay, it's another to expect an employee to pay for a month's long trip to another country and expect the employees to incur that expense themselves first. Either way, it's hardly a fireable offense, if the expenses are valid. Not that easy to fire a university president.

11. Debbie's parents were wealthy. If she needed to go to Italy to have the background for what she was getting her doctorate in, why didn't they pay for that and she needed Richard? That was part of what was the tipping point for her to cheat.

funcpl124funcpl124over 4 years ago
Well Done

Thank you for a wonderful, entertaining, well done story. Look forward to reading more of your work.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago

I really enjoyed the entire story. The public revenge on Richard and the Dean was epic. Glad you gave a happy ending to Rob and Kate.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 4 years ago
This is a great story

The revenge on the two perps was fabulous - unrealistic - but fabulous. For a smart person, Debbie sure was dumb, but she didn't get burned too badly, which was credible and appropriate. Living well is indeed the best revenge. Great story!

norcal62norcal62about 4 years ago
To me, many high scores are for the excellent writing and plot.

Skipped a few chapters, but may come back. Intelligent, excellently written last chapter.

MarkT63MarkT63about 4 years ago
WOW

This was a very satisfactory conclusion. I'm glad Rob likes beefy, full figured women!!! Can you imagine how big Kates boobs got after 4 children!! Not to mention her hips and belly!!! As long as she was well proportioned... Great ending!!!

CheeachaserCheeachaseralmost 4 years ago
Is it bad...

That I am happy with what happened to Debbie?

Well, at least she didn't 'do Dalas'.

matuateneiramatuateneiraover 3 years ago
A great story for five chapters then it turned into a cartoon fantasy

For me this story was great at the start but when the university president refused to fund the ChemE department after the fire and then the faire day pillory could not be opened for a week, and the President and his secretary and the Head of Renaissance History were having group sex together it became no longer credible and just a cartoon fantasy. The whole pillory fiasco was simply not credible which was sad because the first five chapters were totally believable to me and made a very absorbing story.

NitpicNitpicover 3 years ago
Good

Good story,though it does show that some women like Debbie are in a world of their own.Feel sorry for Bunny ,she was just a pawn in the game,she could have been released like Debbie was.

mattenwmattenwabout 3 years ago

A very beautiful, very well told story. Was fun to read. Thank you for sharing!

WargamerWargameralmost 3 years ago

Your best story… 5/5

anubeloreanubeloreover 2 years ago

Two and a half weeks in a pillory would be a death sentence. Not less than both those bastards deserved, but I'm pretty sure murder would've thrown a wrench into Rob and Kate's plans for wedded bliss. And it would have been murder. The inability to change position alone would have resulted in bed sores, and infection, but blood clots would have also occurred, among other very bad things. But I do like the idea.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Story kept my interest at the beginning, but way, way too much pillorying. It began to be silly and I started skipping.

JohnD46JohnD46about 2 years ago

A really well done story. Thank you

OilcanjonOilcanjonabout 2 years ago

Bunny didn't deserve it. As described, she was a simple airhead who was abused by unscrupulous men. But, it is only a story.

Merlin_the_MagicianMerlin_the_Magicianabout 2 years ago

I enjoyed your work very much. You need more experience and an editor if you continue to write but overall, it was an enjoyable read. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Excellent story!!!

Nasty56Nasty56about 2 years ago

Outstanding read!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Way too much useless blah blah blather

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Great Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Every character got exactly want they deserved.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

You could have economized on your words quite a bit but, an intriguing and thoughtful story... one of the better stories on this site... not quite a 5-star but higher than a 4-star... more like a 4.5-star... but they don't give that option so I'm giving the benefit of the doubt by rounding up to a 5-star rating.

Real men... do not... I repeat do not marry any liberal arts, liberal studies, psychology, social studies, women studies, or any courses ending in studies majors.... and nothing relating to CRT or woke ideologies courses... run if you encounter them.

GrassIsGreenerGrassIsGreener6 months ago

Nice Story. Richard was his namesake, a real dick. He didnt suffer enough. Sheila messed up Debbie and Carl should have followed through on his threat.

LoejtcLoejtc5 months ago

Reasonably good story until this Chapter, then it went stupid. The whole Faire scene was nonsense and detracted from the story.

Wordy, of course.

Seems to be a common storyline for this author. Entitled young wife from rich family betrays marriage for status. Husband walks on water. Female friend supports him through the divorce and then they marry and live happily ever after.

Talented writer admits to being wordy. Should realize that being verbose is not necessarily a good thing.

RimmerdalRimmerdal5 months ago

Wonderful romance story.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

I like a good stor that gives the mc a happylife be it a new love or a forgiven wife

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userjmmj5@jmmj5
With a few exceptions, I tend to write longer stories, but that’s just my nature, I think. I’m going to try to tighten that up in the future. I know that means fewer people will read them, but I know that going in. Also, I tend to write what I know. I’ve spent a lot of time i...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories