All Comments on 'Renascence Ch. 01'

by norafares

Sort by:
  • 38 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
I would return your dictionary...

...and buy a proper one. Renascence indeed.

MacIntyreMacIntyrealmost 6 years ago
Renascence ...

... as used and defined by the author at the beginning of the story is correct as is the spelling. It is, in fact, another term for Renaissance. It is also a well-known poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay written when she was nineteen - the same age as the character in the story.

Anon - please do your homework before you start throwing stones ...

Nora - Can’t wait to read more!

Mac

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
More please...

And to the commenter above:

“re·nas·cence

rəˈnasns,rēˈnasns

noun - formal

the revival of something that has been dormant.

"the renascence of poetry as an oral art"”

From my dictionary...

IZ03IZ03almost 6 years ago
Anonymous Snark

Or, dear anon, one could get a better dictionary and use it. According to my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, renascence means precisely what the author indicated at the beginning of the story AND, even better, its first use in the English language predates the use of the word renaissance by about a century. I am an absolutist on free speech, but ignorant and needlessly cruel commentary stretches the boundaries, particularly when used to assault what is, after all, free entertainment generated by someone brave enough to put their creative energy into words and launch it into such a world as this. The emotion makes this a hard story to read, but I like it.

One of my hobbies is to write, for my own enjoyment, flash stories about bad endings for online trolls.Your comment will, I think, inspire my third such story.

chastenchastenalmost 6 years ago
Wonderful start

I can't wait to read the next chapter

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Imagining where this will go..

Does Gabe kiss Gracie? Do they find themselves wrapped up in each other, maybe even stripping away clothes to love each other? Give him some sexy chest hair!

norafaresnorafaresalmost 6 years agoAuthor
Thank You!

To everyone who has been reading, voting, emailing and commenting. I appreciate you all taking the time to read my ramblings.

To those of you that came to my defense regarding the title of the story, THANK YOU

I figured a few people may not be familiar with the word and confuse it with Renaissance (which is a period in time, not at all the same definition) so I took the liberty of including its definition in the beginning of the story. I couldn't have imagined that someone, looking at the definition for what it was, would still somehow confuse it with the Renaissance.

I understand I am uploading my works to a public platform so I don't at all mind. I appreciate every kind of feedback.

Thank you again for reading! I'll have an update very soon :)

ArediaArediaalmost 6 years ago

I like it - the pace, the characters, the style. Please keep on with this story. I like the slow reveal of Grace's whys and wherefores.

ukdukeukdukealmost 6 years ago
Great foundation.

An unusually good start.

I look forward to reading more.

norafaresnorafaresover 5 years agoAuthor
Aredia and ukduke

Thank you so much for your kind words! I submitted the next chapter for review so it should hopefully be published within the next couple of days.

-Nora :)

bruce22bruce22over 5 years ago
very enjoyable tale even with underlying sadness.

If the gals had known he was in the lady"s room I am sure they would have mobbed him. One item from the commentaries, being criative is perfectly acceptable to me, especially if you define it. Languages evolve.

norafaresnorafaresover 5 years agoAuthor
bruce22

Haha thank you for your comment, Bruce! I definitely agree that girls would have mobbed him for being in the bathroom, lol. Good thing they weren't there!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Where's the rest???

Honestly, if this is going to be one of your thousand unfinished projects, you're really going to drive me crazy :D I enjoyed it a lot, the story is great, the cringy first chapter isn't as bad as you think :'D

I like that you don't rush to the romance part. I really know Grace but at the same time I still have so many questions about her personality, about her life and about her sister.

Gabe is funny and interesting so far, even though his last name is a little distracting :D Its the german word for hard so my mind goes wild lol

I'm looking forward to see more of him and hopefully that awful Miranda girl will get what she deserves at some point :D

The Grandpa was so scary!! He really has no chill man. Her sister died and he is mad at her for not listening???? What's wrong with him?

I'm also curious about her mum, you didn't write much about her. It must be strange for Grace to see her mum living with her grandparents because of how difficult their relationship seems to be.

Let me know when the next chapter is ready! I hope I get a sneak peak ;)

-Lun

woodmanonewoodmanoneabout 5 years ago
Nicely done

I must admit I started reading this story because of BlackRandi's comment about Chapter 3. You certainly evict a lot of emotion very quickly. A reader can feel Grace. If there were any typos or misuse of words or misspelled word I was so involved in the story that I didn't notice. I'll continue on with the story now.

Thanks for your hard work

Woodmanone

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Gabe !

Loving it so far . I love the detail of your characters . This is like a book I can`t put down ! Thank You .

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Thanks!

I'm loving your story so far, after also reading the two chapters of your "Head Above Water". This story has also generated some tears in me, having lost my wife and several others the past few decades. It reminded me too of a young co-worker who was asleep in the back seat while his sister drove in North Dakota several years ago, and he was killed when she tried to pass a semi truck in a snowstorm. She lived, and I can only begin to imagine how she must have felt (and may still feel), presumably like Grace.

As for "renascence", I'd never seen your spelling before and looked it up. The dictionary I usually use actually said it's identical to "renaissance", one of the meanings being a rebirth or revival. I mention this because in your 09/05/2018 comment, you wrote that the other spelling is only for a period in time.

- https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/renascence

- https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/renaissance

Thanks again. I'm grateful for your time, creativity, and willingness to share it with us.

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 4 years ago
You own this

You just grab the readers by their collective throats and make them travel the road with you.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

On to chapter two ...

Hooked

patilliepatillieover 4 years ago
Lord have mercy

that was good! The emotive and very descriptive way you write is appealing to me. I love it. Will be reading the rest of your library. So glad I discovered you at last.

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110over 4 years ago
Started kind of slow...

turned heartbreakingly sad all at once. It really shocks the reader into wanting to read more. Really great so far. I can't wait to read on.

rayironyrayironyalmost 4 years ago
Adroitly written

Good submersion into the subjective world of a depressed person with a sprinkling of revelations to bring sense to it.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 4 years ago
Tears and sadness

Rears and sadness but not much hope for some of us.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

It's really one of the nicest things to discover a new author here, then love the first story and then find out there's another 6 part thing to dive right into. I think I'll stick to what I did the last time: I'll leave you a comment here and then another one when I finish part 6.

So: Thanks a lot for sharing this! It's a very impressive first story to post here, and I'm glad it was as well received as it deserves. For "Head above Water" I highlighted your dialogue, so I'll not repeat myself here. There's another thing I think you do incredibly well, and I hope this is not a weird compliment: Write pain. It's impressive to see how well you mix pain and happiness into one intriguing whole.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

This chapter is a great stand-alone story without adding anything else.

UltimoreUltimoreabout 3 years ago

This story is fantastic, thank you for sharing. I'm excited to continue reading the story!

rayironyrayironyabout 3 years ago
Good, once again Nora

Deft drawing of the characters....thanks

Comentarista82Comentarista82about 3 years ago

This is so much like "Head Above Water" with the central themes (heart-wrenching grief and isolation), although losing a twin would be hell on the surviving one (especially if both felt what the other did, which does happen). Grace is miserable and shell-shocked but the teacher does a few things to revive the dying embers of her existence. The laughing from the irreverent f-bombs started that.

You drew Grace's pain well, as well as all the awkwardness of the relocation to someplace so foreign she couldn't have a chance to associate much of anything with.

I'll be reading the rest shortly. Very promising. 5

FoxycatladyFoxycatladyalmost 3 years ago

I'm so fucking happy rn for discovering a talented author like you! You've now become my favvv author on this site and I really hope you'll be here continuing to share with us your incredible works for a lonnnnng time <3

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 2 years ago

I agree with Comentarista82

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

You have written an uncommonly charged story about deep personal grief and (hopefully) an eventual brighter future.

dgfergiedgfergieover 1 year ago

Hi Nora, have read much of your work lately, been hung up on LW stories since my wife passed 3 years ago. I had read this story of yours two years ago and did not remember it. BUt the girl in the story reminded me of me although I am male. I can understand the loss and the lonelness because of the trama from my first marriage that lasted a scant 13 years. So, I will continue to read as I'm not sure I fininshed over two years ago. I do like your writing though as somehow you transfer the feelings of the characters from the pages of the story right into my psyhce, if tha makes sensce. So on with the next chapter.

dgfergiedgfergieover 1 year ago

Started reading the part and I imediately had a thought: Nobody understands....................

Pjam1968Pjam1968over 1 year ago

Awesome, deep emotions, well written

PurplefizzPurplefizzover 1 year ago

Her pain and loss is bleeding out of the screen as I read the words, I lost my parents and was distraught, but it was in the natural order of things, to lose a Twin Sister, a Father, your future and consequently any zest for life would be a crushing thing, I couldn’t begin to understand how to put it into words, fantastic work NoraFares.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I reread this story at least once every year to remind myself there is still beauty in this world. In grief, in tragedy, in unbearable loss, in unforgiving circumstance - little things like love and people who love you and cups of coffee and erotic novel websites. And people like you, Nora. Thank you for taking a chance and sharing this with us. It is one of my favourite stories, ever.

A_BierceA_Bierce12 months ago

The first time I read this, my reaction was so troubled that I made a mental note to return later to comment. Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on, so of course I forgot. No troubles this time: This is a brilliant portrait of a young woman burdened by grief and shock at (she believes) killing her beloved twin sister. Bless you for throwing us a lifeline at the end, raising a faint hope of eventual relief.

joeoggijoeoggi10 months ago

Goo set up. You got me hooked.

MrJohnnySirMrJohnnySir6 months ago

Discovering your work years after you shared. I like that there is also a large body of comments. I am doubting you will ever read this late entry, but no matter, it amounts to a distant echo.

I am intrigued. This first chapter foretells irresistible potential. Having begun your catalog with "Void Bunny", I am optimistic that I will be engaged and not at all disappointed.

On we go ...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usernorafares@norafares
Hi there, I’m Nora :) I write about flawed characters navigating their way through life, often falling hopelessly in love along the way. I grew up on 90s swoony Bollywood films, endless piles of cheesy romance novels, and obsessively rewinding that part where Matthew Macfayde...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES