All Comments on 'Repeat After Me'

by Spencerfiction

Sort by:
  • 24 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Feels kind of unfinished...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
story

IS THAT IT SEEM LEFT IN LIMBO

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
My 2 cents

Didn't see much of a romance, just a lot of remembering. Nice dialogue and characters. Thanks for your time and imagination.

KinPAKinPAabout 4 years ago

I want more, but I also don’t what what you’ve given us diluted or the ending my mind’s eye has written being challenged. If they ever do a “London; I Love You!”, this should be one of the vignettes.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
I Would Love...

to see some more. And keep it positive, please. This could be a great continued story of redemption and forgiveness...…..

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Odd comments

Odd comments. Some folks just don't get subtle.

Lovely story.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 4 years ago

Maybe Alan was right about hell freezing over!

5

jmmj5jmmj5about 4 years ago
I really enjoyed that.

I am not against a reconciliation if due time or penance has been paid, and in this case, I believe it has.

Smart of you to put this in Romance. You would get killed in LW, unjustifiably.

Very nice story. You don't always have to give the details until the tombstone is written (I struggle with that) to have a told a tale, which you did.

I'll watch for your next one. Thanks for sharing.

nestorb30nestorb30about 4 years ago

Well written, but hell no

KidCreoleKidCreoleabout 4 years ago
Seems like Ch. 2 of 3

It was well written. However, I feel like I came in in the middle of the story. For instance, who is Carol? We slowing got his marriage history, but not much about hers. Seems like it needs a chapter before, and one after.

magma60magma60about 4 years ago

Well, I have 2 questions. Who was Carol and why didn't have a pre-nup for wife number 3?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Fun story

Many believe same sex affair isn't cheating Great line for Lit "Are they still, you know, still hoovering each other's rug?"

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Too many characters and a lot of inconsistencies.

Are Carrie and Caroline the same person?

Who or what is Barry and why were the wedding photog and maid of honor playing with him? For a photographer Rob sure seems really familiar to and with a bunch of people.

Is Miss Haversham an off stage person like Aunt Jane or some Brit inside joke?

What was the point of the Rob Carol scene? Rob wasn't the best man so what was the point behind her remark?

Why does Alan take being deceived by the photogs HE'S PAYING so lightly?

As for Natalie, I found nothing positive about their interactions. Supposedly the reason for talking was grandkids etc. yet no mention of that. Making your spouse the object of humor, especially when you know they don't like it, is disrespectful and unkind. I wouldn't have put up with while dating, let alone from a wife for 20 years. He said he didn't like it, she knew he didn't like it, and yet that was pretty close to the first things she says to him in 6 years? Why would he put up with that from an ex, with whom any and all interactions are at his discretion? Why is the ribbing inevitable? For that matter why is he discussing wife #3 with wife #1?

I suppose this was supposed to be a light hearted ATALHEA story. Nope. Just another supposedly strong man who's rendered powerless by a woman story.

☆☆

BTW, what do "taking the Mick" and being the "Mum" mean?

Brits and Yanks, two peoples separated by a common language.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 4 years agoAuthor
Pre-nups

Magma60 re prenuptial agreements. This story is set in the UK which is virtually a litigation-free world for individuals. We don’t go in for such legal extras over and above signing the simple marriage lines in the registry office or church office, and mitigation of any commitment to the union, nor do we have Company non-fraternisation agreements (in fact I think there are more marriages between co-workers than any other single meeting points for eligible singles; we don't sue anyone for disaffection, injuries in road accidents or bar brawls; and compensation for industrial accidents tend to be dealt with between insurance companies rather than individuals. There are 100,000 solicitors in England and Wales for a population of 56.1m (Scotland has a separate legal system based on the Roman/French model); US has 1.3m lawyers for a population of 283m; so the US has more than twice as many lawyers per thousand than UK.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 3 years ago

Carol was identified

in the 11th paragraph, a scant 352 words from the beginning. Perhaps the invidious devolution brought on by Prof. Google and Mme. Twitter has seriously impaired both the memory and attention span of too many Lit readers. Pity, that. Nevertheless, kudos to M. Spencerfiction for yet another charming, uplifting, and most entertaining tale. Thank you, sir.

nixroxnixroxalmost 3 years ago

5 stars - My ancestors are Scots, but I liked this story, even though it was written by an Englishman.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

5*****, good story with terrific dialogue. But the confusing (to some anons) and way off stage Miss Haversham should actually be Miss Havisham. Otherwise the story met all my expectations.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good story. A little mire on the ending could have made it a 5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

His first wife Natalie was quite funny. First 1.5 pages were excellent. Ending was abrupt. Jerry was a covetous asshole. Natalie made a big mistake.

oldtwitoldtwit12 months ago

A nice simple story, well written with good characters and plot, missing sex but…. It’s your story after all, I liked it and without reading below will just know lots of comments will say you left it to soon, but nice one

Dlh143Dlh14311 months ago

Nope. 1 star.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Good story. But to divorce like that after 20 years and never speak for six years seems harsh for a quick almost instantaneous one time slip at a party no less with liquor and in the en suite bathroom. Not saying it wouldn't be hard to try to find a way forward, but to just roll over and walk out. That seems sad. While she should have resisted and sought aid from her husband, her husband should have realized Jerry was coming after her and it wasn't just harmless innuendo. An unspoken part of the wedding vows is not just to cherish, love, honor and respect, in addition to forsake all others (which she broke, but with an infidelity not adultery in a fit of one time weakness to get the asshole off of her, probably seemed logical at the time under influence of liquor at the party), buy also to PROTECT. There he failed miserably. Sends weird signals when you let you best friend get away with being an ass, excusing him as if he is just a good old boy. And it isn't like her judgment was sound given they did it quickly in the bathroom at party at their house. Wasn't some sinister secret affair. And personally I found the humor funny. 'Hoovering the rug' was priceless.

AnonymousAnonymous10 days ago

The guy sounds like a smart and successful businessman/owner. Unfortunately he is a complete loser in his personal life. Three wives in 6 years. How the hell does he pick suppliers successfully. The writer did a good job telling the tale. 4/5 because it was a bit thin and choppy at times.

gprevgprev5 days ago

Left too soon.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSpencerfiction@Spencerfiction
An old printer, typesetter, proofreader, local politician and activist. I write for pleasure only, an untrained writer too set in his ways to change or learn. I have courted and been wedded to the same impossible angel for over four decades, so I am an unremitted romantic. If ...

SIMILAR Stories