Rerouted

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Of course I can! Quick hop, skip and a jump to the web site, and voilà! All I need's her address."

"5204 Collins Avenue."

"'Kay...one moment, please..."

"For the record, Dawn..."

"...Yyyyeah?"

"However I physically get to the house, whatever roads take me there and whenever I finally arrive...I just want you to know that you've singlehandedly rerouted my entire mindset on this trip since yesterday. And, I...kinda love you for it."

*****

Queen Of The Rockies

Sunday, March 9th, 2003, 11:38 a.m. Mountain / 1:38 p.m. Eastern

"Well...here I am. 5204. Got my present for Helena, got the card to go with it...I'm all set."

"'Atta girl, you made it."

"I couldn't have done it without you, Dawn. And I mean that on a couple levels."

"Maureen Karen Coale, you are an angel. Don't you ever let anyone tell you different."

"And I...am so sorry, I can't remember your middle or last name, Dawn."

"Middle's Lori, last's Kerringer. No worries. I've been preparing myself for a while since I started guiding you to your sister's house. I knew we'd eventually be hanging up, and...it's gonna feel kinda...surreal, I know. I'll actually have to get used to not talking to ya. But we have each other's numbers now, and...we could talk on your way back home to Minnesota too."

"I think I'd really like that."

"Okay then, sunshine. Give out some hugs and sing Helena 'Happy Birthday' for me."

"'Sunshine'?"

"Pardon?"

"Did...you just call me sunshine?"

"I...guess I did, yeah. I remember you saying at some point how you always wished you could put a little sunshine in someone's day."

Sniffle. "...Thanks."

"Well...you've got twenty more minutes till noon. I'll stay on the phone with ya as long as you want."

"Nah, it's...cool. I guess I'll head inside while it's not crowded yet. Better late than never, and better early than late."

"Roger. You've got this, Maur; go get 'em."

"Okay...whew. This is harder than I thought. Goodbye, Dawn...this has been an amazing conversation. Take care."

"You take care too, Maur. And remember: you and your feelings always matter. Don't let anything make you feel like they don't."

"I'll do my best. I promise. And you, keep those feetsies warm and that tummy settled. So...bye-bye."

"...Bye-bye."

"...Bye."

"...Bye."

"Okay, here goes..."

Click.

*****

Party Trooper

Sunday, March 9th, 2003, 7:22 p.m. U.S. Mountain Time

The birthday party had unofficially ended. The last of the guests excepting Maureen had been bidden farewell. The supper, snacks and ice cream cake were over three-quarters consumed. The TV played on, broadcasting more programming the birthday girl's big sister couldn't concentrate on. The very pregnant lady of the hour, Helena Lebbitt and her husband Joseph put their baby daughter Caroline to bed, and returned to relax with Maur and the parents.

"D'you enjoy yourself, Maureen?" their mother Rosie asked.

Maureen sighed with a smile.

"Y'know, Ma, I...actually did," she sincerely nodded. "I honestly wasn't sure I would, what with my social anxiety and all, but...yeah. I really did. I had fun. And, hey, Hel. Happy Birthday again."

"Thank you, babe!" the kid sis beamed. She hugged Maureen, the baby belly reaching a few seconds before the rest of her did. The girls' father Paul had the next question for Maur.

"'Nother beer, pumpkin?"

"Oh, no thanks, Dad," she declined. "I'm right at that semi-buzzed state where I think I oughta be staying. Uh, speaking of staying, Hel? Joe? You did say I could have the guest room, right?"

"Of course, Maureen! All yours."

"Oh, thanks. Somehow, I don't think I'm gonna have much trouble gettin' to sleep tonight."

They settled in to enjoy a few minutes of quiet TV. Maureen figured she must've had a pensive look cross her face, because Rosie eventually asked if there was something on her mind.

"...Mom? Dad?"

"Yeah, sweetheart?"

"Have...you ever been to Pennsylvania?"

Paul and Rosie looked to one another, thinking a moment.

"I believe so..." their Dad said. "Your mother and I did a lot of traveling in the '60s before you lovely gals came along. I'm sure that general area was somewhere on our list."

"What's, eh...what's it like in the summertime?" was Maureen's next question.

"Oh, I'd say pretty warm...rather pleasant," Rosie mused.

"What makes you ask, darlin'?" inquired Paul.

"...Ohhh..."

Maur slumped back against the love seat where she was resting. She let her eyes flutter shut, feeling a dreamy smile paint her lips.

"...No reason."