Revenge in Advance - Final Hearing

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She wept bitterly the day both Mona and her twin sister died and nearly exposed the task force then. But she held off, remembering Mona's words. She almost did it again a couple years later, but got a stern warning from the current House Speaker to wait. Shortly afterward, the same Speaker was arrested for treason, so she held off, not wanting to be tied to what Speaker Chastain and others had tried to do to the man who took over after President Skaggs died.

She almost flipped the trigger a third time, but got another stern warning -- this time from overseas -- to wait. She watched the events in Britain and in the Mississippi Basin unfold. She was present when Oscar received his medal from President Lopez and knew she would have to take action soon, before it became too late.

So she waited. And now, ten years after the New Way had been thoroughly defeated, she had her opening. There was nothing to stop her. And after this, she would retire, having kept her promise to Mona.

...

Special Agent Brian Haskill met Oscar's plane at the airport in Washington. He opened his briefcase and handed Oscar a manila envelope when they got in his sedan.

"Got this delivered to the office by special courier this morning, Director," Brian said. Oscar accepted the thick envelope and opened it.

"Thank you. I've been expecting this," Oscar said.

"What is it, if you don't mind my asking?" Brian asked as he drove.

"Not at all. Hopefully, it's something we can use against Senator Chambers," Oscar said. "Have you gotten in contact with this Allen Bradshaw?"

"Yes, we have," Brian said. "He lives by himself in a trailer just outside Richmond. Said he would be happy to testify against his ex if need be. We went ahead and brought him in just in case."

"Good," Oscar said. "Anything else?"

"We did a deep dive on the Senator as you requested," Brian said. "We found nothing incriminating, but we did uncover an old connection between Mona Larsen and the Senator's husband."

"Alex Chambers?" Oscar asked.

"Yes," Brian said. "It appears the two of them were acquainted prior to his marriage to the Senator. We found nothing to suggest any illegal activity, but we found it... interesting, to say the least."

"Yes, that is very interesting," Oscar said. "Anything else?"

"No, nothing," Brian said. "We dug a bit deeper, but found nothing on Chambers. He retired about five years ago, after the Senator won her last election."

"No shady business deals? No tax issues? Nothing?" Oscar asked.

"Nothing," Brian said. "The man even pays more in taxes than he has to. But he is rather eccentric. The last verified photo of the man is over 30 years old. Quite reclusive. In fact, he'd make Howard Hughes look like a social butterfly."

"How did he manage to run his business?" Oscar asked.

"Proxies, mostly," Brian said. "Did everything by video conferencing or email. In fact, he's never even appeared in public with his wife during her campaigns. According to our sources, he's an extreme germophobe and from what we could gather, has a rare condition that makes his skin and eyes extremely sensitive to light. I think it's called XP, for xeroderma pigmentosum."

"Alright. Keep looking. There has to be something," Oscar said.

"Will do," Brian said. The limo pulled up in front of the hotel and Oscar got out. A doorman came forward to help with his luggage. "I'll be in touch," Brian added.

"Yes, please do," Oscar said before checking into the hotel. When he got into his room, he pulled out his phone and called Jack, who answered after the first ring.

"Good afternoon, Director," he said. "I take it you're in town."

"Yes," Oscar said, giving his room number at the Hilton Garden Hotel.

"Tell you what. Give me a half-hour and I'll head on over," Jack said.

"I'll be here," Oscar said, ending the call. He used the time to go through the divorce records, which mentioned Susan's arrest and the deal made by the prosecuting attorney that led to her record eventually being expunged. About a half-hour later, Oscar heard a knock at his door.

"Come on in," he told Jack.

"What's going on, Director?" Jack asked when he entered the room.

"Take a look," Oscar said, handing him the divorce papers.

"Wait a minute. This is for a Suzette Bradshaw. What's that got to do with Sen. Chambers? Her first name is Susan, not Suzette," Jack said.

"Bradshaw was her married name," Oscar said. "After the divorce, she reverted to her maiden name, Hastings. Shortly after she met Alex Chambers, she legally changed her first name to Susan. Then she married Chambers and ran for office. By then, her record had been cleaned and her divorce sealed by the court to hide the criminal charges. Except for this and the Task Force report filed by Agent Michaels, there's no mention of her arrest anywhere."

"And her first husband? Is he still alive?" Jack asked.

"Yes, he's in our custody. He's agreed to testify if necessary," Oscar said.

"What's your take on all this?" Jack asked.

"Personally, I think this is a Hail Mary move on her part. She's planning to retire after this term from what I've heard, and she wants to go out with a bang, maybe get revenge for what we've done to MMAS and the groups it spawned," Oscar said.

"Maybe," Jack said. "None of this makes any sense to me. I can't help but think there's some ulterior motive at work here. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning."

"I guess you're right," Oscar said.

"By the way, my wife would cut my nuts off if I didn't invite you over to the place for dinner tonight," Jack said. Oscar laughed.

"Well, we can't have that now, can we?" Oscar said with a smile. "Of course, I'd love to come over. Thanks. Too bad Rita isn't here. I know she loves Carol's cooking."

"Carol's making lasagna tonight," Jack said. "And if I know her, there'll be enough to feed a Marine battalion. Does 7:00 pm sound good to you?"

"I'll be there, thanks for the invitation," Oscar said. The two men shook hands and Jack left. Oscar pulled out his phone and called Rita.

"Hi, sweetheart, just wanted to let you know I got here okay, and I got your package," he said.

"Oh, good," she said.

"I saw Jack, by the way. He invited me over to his place for dinner."

"That's wonderful," Rita said. "What's Carol making?"

"Jack tells me she's making lasagna," Oscar said.

"That's no fair," Rita said playfully. "You get lasagna and I get leftovers. Well, have a good time, and tell Carol I said hi."

"I will, dear," Oscar said. "Love you!"

"I love you more, G-man," she said. After they ended the call, Oscar turned to the folders he had, hoping to find out something to help explain Sen. Chambers' actions.

...

The next day, Oscar showed up at the hearing room and was met by a gaggle of reporters with cameras and microphones. He took no questions and made his way to the table in front of the dais, where George Henson, a lawyer with the task force, was already seated. The two men shook hands.

"Do you have any idea what's going on, George?" Oscar asked.

"No, Director, I don't," George said. "I've tried to get something from Sen. Chambers' staff, but no one's saying anything."

"Rather odd, wouldn't you say?" Oscar asked.

"Yes, it is," George said. Soon, the Senators began to make their way into the hearing room, and Susan took her seat in the center, directly in front of Oscar. After making sure everyone was in place, Susan started the hearing.

"Good morning, Director Warren. I'm glad to see you chose to accept my invitation," she said with a smile that held no warmth.

"Good morning, Senator," Oscar said.

"I know this hearing was put together rather quickly, and I'm sure my colleagues are wondering about the reason for this morning's hearing," Susan said. "I want to apologize in advance if anyone feels they have left out of the loop. That was not my intent.

"For the last 40 years or so, the people of this great country have been funding a rather strange experiment in federal law enforcement. Specifically, the so-called Homefront Security Task Force, an organization funded in part by the private sector. This task force was originally set up, as I understand it, to deal with a particular organization called the Mutual Marital Assurance Society, or MMAS.

"That organization ceased to exist some 30 years ago, with the death of its founder, a lawyer named Mona Larsen, and her top lieutenants. Yet, the task force continued to operate, wasting even more federal and private funds. They even managed to have a reinforced Marine battalion stationed at their secure facility, a place known as 'Fort Apache,' for more than 20 years." Jack interrupted at this point.

"Excuse me, Senator," he said, causing her to stop in mid-stream. "But why are you addressing this here, and why now? If you had issues with the task force's funding, you should've addressed it during the budget process. Or better yet, not vote for the funding, the way you have every year for the last 30 years."

"Because, like you and so many others, I was fooled into thinking the task force served a useful purpose," Susan said, glaring at Jack. "But I now feel it's time for the public to learn the truth."

"Is that why you sidestepped the normal process in this hearing?" Jack asked.

"As the chair of this committee, I felt it was necessary," Susan said. "So, yes, to answer your question, Senator, that's why I fast-tracked this hearing the way I did."

"So, are we investigating something specific, or is this just a fishing expedition?" Jack asked.

"We are here to get to the bottom of this so-called 'task force,' and the best way to do that is to confront the head of that task force," Susan said.

"So it's a fishing expedition, then," Jack said.

"Call it whatever you want, Senator," Susan said, her face turning red. "Right now, you are out of order."

"Actually, Senator, this entire hearing is out of order," Jack fired back. "I motion that this hearing be suspended until the committee has had an opportunity to examine whatever it is you wish to pursue." Someone seconded the motion, and debate raged between the senators for at least an hour. Oscar sat back and watched the back-and-forth, giving George a knowing look every so often. Finally, the committee agreed to let Susan and Jack each have a five-minute question-and-answer session with Oscar.

This wasn't exactly what Susan wanted, and she pressed for more, but Jack held firm. He did, however, offer to have Oscar testify under oath. That seemed to mollify Susan, who agreed. After Oscar took an oath to tell the truth, Susan confronted him.

"Director Warren, you have served with the Task Force for, what, 30 years?" she asked.

"More like 35 years, Senator," Oscar said.

"Thirty-five years," she repeated. "That's a long time. Tell me, Director. In all those years, were you ever tempted to, shall we say, engage in inappropriate behavior?"

"By 'inappropriate behavior,' I'm assuming you mean of a sexual nature," Oscar said.

"Yes, precisely," Susan said.

"Tempted, perhaps," Oscar said. "But I never once acted on those temptations."

"So, you deny that you had an affair with Elizabeth Skaggs, the wife of former President Lincoln Skaggs?" Susan asked.

"I categorically deny that, Senator," Oscar said. Susan laughed at that, before pressing a button on a remote that suddenly appeared in her hand. The committee and everyone in the room gasped as a picture of the former First Lady appeared on the hearing room monitor. The private bits were blurred, but it was obvious she wore only a short white robe with nothing underneath.

"This image of the former First Lady was captured by your cell phone, was it not, Director?" Susan asked.

"Yes, it was," Oscar said.

"And it was captured shortly before the former First Lady ended up dead, is that not correct?" Susan pressed.

"That is correct," Oscar said.

"Isn't it true that you had an affair with Mrs. Skaggs and killed her when she refused to leave her husband to be with you?" Susan asked, prompting gasps from the audience. Oscar smiled before responding.

"No, that's not true, Senator, and if you have that image, you probably also have the video it came from," Oscar said. "Video that was given the highest classification possible at the time. Only two copies of that video existed, and both were classified and archived. One copy by the Task Force, and the other by the Secret Service. To my knowledge, that video is still classified, which makes me wonder what you're doing with it.

"Yes, I was invited to have dinner with the former First Lady. She promised me a night to remember. It would also have been my last night on earth. Since you somehow got possession of that classified video, you already know that. And you know what happened afterward," Oscar said.

"And what, exactly, happened?" Susan asked.

"I cannot discuss the contents of that video, Senator. As you and the rest of the committee know, it's still classified," Oscar said.

"Are you refusing to answer my question, Director?" Susan asked. George interjected at this point.

"Senator, Director Warren HAS answered your question, and he is not at liberty to disclose classified information in an open hearing," George said.

"And I believe your time has expired, Senator," Jack said. Susan's face turned red and she started to say something else, but Jack beat her to the punch. "Director Warren, I understand you have a witness for this committee. Is that correct?"

"Yes, Senator, it is," Oscar said.

"Please, show him in," Jack said to the security man at the back door. Everyone turned and saw an older man being escorted into the room. He was led to the desk and seated next to Oscar. Susan's face turned an even darker shade of red.

"What is the meaning of this?" Susan asked.

"You wanted to smear Director Warren in a public hearing, Senator. It's only fair that the Director be allowed to present his case," Jack said. "Sir, please identify yourself," Jack said, turning back to the older man.

"Allen Bradshaw, Senator," the old man said.

"Thank you for coming in, Mr. Bradshaw," Jack said. "Please tell us, do you personally know anyone on this panel?" Allen looked at Susan before responding.

"Yes, I do, Senator," Allen said. "Her. Senator Chambers," he added, pointing at Susan.

"And how do you know Senator Chambers?" Jack asked.

"I was married to her years ago," Allen said.

"I see," Jack said. "Would you mind telling us what happened?"

"I... wasn't a very good husband to her," Allen said, looking embarrassed. "I... cheated on her."

"What happened?" Jack asked.

"She went to some retreat, then after she came back, she and some other people ambushed me," Allen said. "They stripped me, beat me, did horrible things to me." Allen became emotional and hot tears fell down his cheek. He looked back up at Susan. "I'm sorry, Suzette. I'm so very, very sorry."

"That's alright, Mr. Bradshaw," Jack said. "I know this was very hard for you to do, but I appreciate you coming in for us." Allen nodded his head and Jack turned to Oscar. "Director, would you please brief this committee on what happened?"

"Yes, Senator," Oscar said. "According to the case file submitted by Task Force Agent Michaels, Susan Chambers, who went by the name Suzette Bradshaw, learned of her husband's activities and attended a spa retreat held by MMAS. That's how they recruited their clients in those days. When she returned, her and the contractors she hired -- through MMAS -- ambushed Mr. Bradshaw. After they 'punished' him, Mrs. Bradshaw had sex with two men as her husband was forced to watch.

"They ordered him to 'clean her,' that is, remove the semen deposited in and on her with his tongue," Oscar added, causing everyone in the room to grimace. Even Susan looked down, embarrassed. "When he refused, she assaulted him, attacking his testicles. He ended up in the hospital and according to the report, lost one of his testicles. Mrs. Bradshaw was arrested, but was able to avoid prosecution when she was given an opportunity to participate in a pretrial diversion program, something that was allowed under Indiana law at the time.

"Mr. Bradshaw divorced her, citing adultery and cruelty. The arrest was mentioned in the divorce papers, which she was able to get sealed. After the divorce, she changed her first name, and became involved with Mr. Chambers. The rest, as they say, is history," Oscar said.

"I understand a video was made of this 'punishment,' is that right?" Jack asked.

"Yes, Senator, that's right," Oscar said. "It was something all MMAS contractors were required to do in order to get paid. We have a copy of that video in our archives, in case Senator Chambers would like to view it."

"I don't think that will be necessary, Director," Jack said. "Do you, Senator Chambers?"

"No," Susan said quietly. "In fact, I think we have had enough drama for one day. This hearing is concluded. The staff is directed to prepare a transcript for review within the next 30 days." She banged a gavel and left as quickly as her 76-year-old body would permit. Oscar turned to Allen.

"Thank you for coming in, Mr. Bradshaw," he said. "I know that was quite difficult for you."

"It's my pleasure, Director Warren," Allen said, shaking Oscar's hand. "What's going to happen to her?"

"I suspect you just witnessed the end of her political career," Oscar said. Allen smiled at that.

"Reckon it's true that karma can be a bitch, huh?" Allen asked.

"I reckon so," Oscar said. "Good luck to you, Mr. Bradshaw." Allen nodded his head and left with the Task Force agent who brought him. Jack came down and shook Oscar's hand. "Thank you, my friend," Oscar said.

"It's my pleasure," Jack said. "You know, I used to fantasize about Liz Skaggs when I was younger. She was one beautiful woman. What happened to her, really?"

"That's classified, Jack. You know I can't disclose that," Oscar said with a smile. "But you're right. She was beautiful. Very beautiful. And extremely dangerous."

"She really threw herself at you like that?" Jack asked.

"Yes, she did," Oscar said. "It's no secret that she and the president had an... understanding. I have to admit, I was tempted. But I'm just not wired like that. Good thing, actually. I wouldn't be here now if I were."

"Yeah, it is," Jack said. "Well, I guess I'd better say a few words to the press before they blow this all out of proportion."

"Okay, Jack. And thanks again," Oscar said. They shook hands one last time and Agent Haskill made his way to Oscar, handing him a folder.

"You gotta see this, Director," Brian said. "Guys at Research just came across it. Thought you might want to see it right away." Oscar took the folder, opened it and read the short report. He scanned the attached paperwork and re-read the report to make sure he wasn't seeing things.

"Damn," he said quietly. "Thanks, Brian, they were right."

"What's going on?" Brian asked.

"Alex Chambers isn't exactly who -- or what -- he wants us to think," Oscar said, handing him the folder. Brian looked at the report and his eyes grew wide.

"Fuck," Brian said quietly.

"Yeah," Oscar said. Just then, there was a commotion in the hallway and a uniformed Capitol Police officer showed up.

"Director Warren?" he asked. Oscar looked up at the man in uniform.

"Yes?" Oscar asked.

"I think you should come with me, sir," the uniform said. "There's been an... incident." Oscar looked at Brian and nodded his head. They both followed the uniformed officer out of the hearing room and down a couple of corridors until they came to a group of people being held back by more uniformed officers. Oscar saw two paramedics examine Susan's body as it lay on a gurney and walked up to them.

"What happened here?" he asked.

"According to witnesses, Senator Chambers was walking down the hallway when she opened her phone. As soon as she read what was on the screen, she slapped herself on the side of her neck, then fell down," one of the officers said. Oscar looked at the cell phone laying on the floor. He saw a message he hadn't seen in years: "Your services are no longer required."