All Comments on 'Ringworld 04'

by Beatnic_jazzman

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Interesting... but....

It is interesting, but I kind of agree that it feels like something else is going on. However, I feel like you need to make explinations of nonsexual events and background story longer.

Especially the trial portion, the explanation of the mining society, and doctor's visit should have been longer

1) The explanation of the mining society was odd. How many people live in it? Are they a colony of asteroids? Hence, in a sense their own ring world? How exactly does economics work?

2) Second the thing about him needing therapy dozen make sense and bothers me a lot. Why would the main character need therapy for wanting to help his fellow people? Shouldn't the main character have concerns about the speed at which his relationship with his women is? Is it not reasonable to think that the main character would be concern about the 2 women when he has 8 more on his large ship. (and heck probably countless other in the region of space). Also where is doctor Mazuse? Is it not odd that he has only seen each doctor once? It feels like a cover up.

3) The trail was way to fast? I mean who testified against him? Is he not allowed his own defense? That seem very odd that they would railroad it through considering the fact that he represent ring world major trading partner. It feels like a cover up.

4) Personally, I think it would be an interesting conclusion that if someone is trying to harm the main character or their a conflict where the two slaves are abducted. Afterall, it has not been 6 months and if someone did claim them then would not be admitting to the being a part of illegal tampering? I mean officially interfering with the First Home's son and endangering the lives to two people who have no memories, then allowing them to be abducted them would be a very serious crime regardless of the societies liberal policies. Heck it might be even more interesting because then you might consider he father's reaction. After all, how did the slaves get out there when they are only 8 years old? Has someone being using the mine vessels to ship illegal slaves? Would he put an embargo he might have preset and agreement with his father to stop all shipments from their mine and other mines till the situation is resolved? Heck it would make even more sense if the embargo started simple because his son or the ship had not reported in. The embargo could work because which as one of the main producers of raw material he could effectively do... similar to North Korea. After all, anyone who then ships to Ring World would be classified as a supporting illegal slave trade, which apparently is a intergalactic crime, which they could technically accuse Ring world of supporting by railroading their son's investigation into definite orgins of illegal slaves. (By the why slavery from 1000 AD still exists today in the US, so it existing on ring world is more than possible).

Just some thoughts,

neo

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Answers

To the Writer: I like the story, there, plain and simple for you

and

To the Anon before that signed as Neo, here's the answers to your silly questions from what I've read

1. The mining society is a group of connected companies that go by that name, some are family run while others are not. As in the case of the main characters family being in charge of a bigger company/mining operation when compared to others.

2. The therapy thing was said in jest, the doctor stating he needed therapy because she was wondering why would he want to have two beautiful women to stop loving him.

3. The trial was fast because Ringworld is corrupt, and they wanted him to be confused and baffled by the end of it. Also because of his standing in the mining society they figured that they could blackmail him 3mil credits for a hug, that some random 'citizen' complained about.

4. You're just silly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
M00r conflictz!!

Nah, I think that neo made a good point about medical issues and possible embargo issues.

I live in Okinawa, Japan. We are pretty liberal, laid back, and culturally understanding. Even here though the way those doctors handled the case could be considered medical malpractice simply due to the changing of doctors he saw without any form of prior notification. I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure you in US have something similar in your laws. Also, remeber learning in school temporary delays and threats to embargo is a pretty common things done here in cases of serious cultural disrespect. We are sole dependent on trade, but we will not be treated as pushovers. We do used to do it all the time in the 1970s and 1990s till the other side made some kind of public apology. Maybe the idea of complete embargo is ridiculous, but the main character did go there to found out if 8 other people found could be seek medical help. Finally, I agree with neo in the principle that the mining community should be done simply because the story needs more conflict and action!

So moor conflictzz and action!!

P.S. Speaking of conflicts, what happened to Radha and Freya? Did they make back to the ship? Or did they just stayz in the hotelz?

Kitty <3

biercebierceover 11 years ago
Good story

I am really enjoying your story. Entertaining situations. Thanks

pnkssbtzpnkssbtzover 11 years ago
Oohh, I called it after reading Chapter 03. Cliché as fuck.

Had so much potential, but it went down the path of cliché.

I love how the society that allows sex slaves has public laws so fucking loose and obscure in definition that hugging in public is considered a sexual act regardless of whether the act was sexual or not.

Actually I don't. It gets old reading story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story after story... (I think the hint is made) where the protagonist gets rail roaded.

It was obvious as soon as the author included the "liaison" to over the complexity of the laws of this ringworld that the protagonist was going to get arrested and disproportionally sentenced for either: something he didn't do, or doing something that he didn't know was wrong.

I consider that kind of setup bad writing. I'd rather sit through a season of Lost read another story that pulled this cliché, yet again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Idiots

Whoever thought to arrest him for something stupid like that wasn't thinking they need good relations with his family for metal and they just pissed him off lol

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous