Sail Ho

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Throughout that day and night, Mr. Wainwright steered the jollyboat on the course he had set, tacking first this way and then that way to make the best use of the wind. By noon, the trees of Hispaniola had again sunk below the horizon. As night fell, he aligned the course of the jollyboat with a star that lay upon his course and continued to sail.

He did not speak to Madeline or Marie again. There was no need for Madeline's assistance, there being only the rudder and one line to manage. He could not bring himself to speak to Marie.

He continued to ask himself what he had done to make Fate treat him in this manner. Had he not always put the safety and wellbeing of his seamen before all else? Had he not abstained from strong drink and loose women as he had been taught? Why then, so soon after he had met the only woman who befuddled his mind with thoughts of marriage and children did Fate cause her to forget who he was?

Marie studied the man who sat in the stern of the boat and seemed to pay her no notice. He was strangely familiar to her, but she could not say where or when or even if they had ever met. She found she had an attraction to him, though she could not have explained should she have been asked.

Perhaps it was the pounding ache in her head that made her think these thoughts. If what Madeline had said was true, he had only been a sailor assigned to protect them from the pirates that threatened to attack the ship upon which they sailed.

She did not remember sailing on a ship, or the Captain telling them of his plan, or living on an island, but if Madeline said this was so, it must be the truth. It was frustrating to know she had lost part of her memory, but more frustrating was the feelings that plagued her mind about the man Madeline called Mr. Wainwright. She was still trying to remember as she fell asleep.

It was a little before noon the next day when Mr. Wainwright saw the sail. He knew it was close, for from his position so low in the water, he would not have seen it otherwise. He steered the jollyboat to an intercepting course and adjusted his sail accordingly.

As he grew nearer, he was pleased to see a rectangle of red, white, and blue flying from her main royal mast. She was British and most likely a merchant ship. He prayed the lookouts would see such a small craft as the jollyboat from their perches high in the rigging.

His fears left him when the ship turned and sailed in their direction, and he nearly jumped with joy when he saw the longboat being lowered over the side.

The waterfall pool seemed cool when Marie stepped into it, but it was always cooler than the air in the jungle. She smiled as Mr. Wainwright stepped into the pool with her, and she held out her arms. He walked slowly through the water, gathered her in his arms and bent to kiss her. His lips touched hers and she felt chills run down her back. His hands stroked her naked hips and she felt his stiff manhood against her thigh.

She'd been ready for him before they went to the pool. She was ready now, and whispered in his ear, "I want you." He picked her up and carried her to the shore, then spread her thighs and --

"Marie, it's time for breakfast."

Marie sat up, rubbed the sleep from her eyes, and smiled at Madeline.

"I was dreaming about Mr. Wainwright."

Madeline's mouth fell open. She rushed to embrace the girl.

"You remember him?"

"Yes, why shouldn't I remember him?"

Madeline sat down on the bed.

"Marie, do you remember the island?"

"Yes, that's what I was dreaming about -- the island and Mr. Wainwright."

"Do you remember sailing to Port Royal from there in a little boat?"

Marie's face was a face lost in thought. She frowned.

"No, I don't believe so..."

Marie's frown became a smile

"Yes, I do. I steered the boat, didn't I? There was a storm wasn't there?"

Madeline had tears in her eyes.

"Yes. It has been two weeks since the ship found us, but you did not remember anything of the past months until today."

"Two weeks? It has been two weeks?"

"Yes, but now you are fine."

"Mr. Wainwright...where is he?"

"Your father is showing him the plantation before he leaves."

"He is leaving?"

"Yes. He is a sailor, Marie. I told you about sailors."

Marie threw back the sheets and jumped from the bed.

"He cannot leave, not until I see him once more."

Marie started to run toward the door, but Madeline caught her arm.

"A proper lady does not chase after a man, but if you must do so, you could at least dress like a lady instead of running about in your nightdress."

Marie quickly pulled the thin nightdress over her head.

"Please help me dress, Madeline. I must see him."

The carriage rolled slowly over the dirt road beside the cane field. Neville Bonner pointed to the fields of tall sugar cane that had been fired to strip them of leaves.

"The cane is pure gold, Mr. Wainwright. The people of England crave sugar so they will pay much for only a small parcel. It has made me a rich man."

"So I see", said Mr. Wainwright. "Only the royal estates in England are as large as your plantation, I think."

Neville shrugged.

"I started with only a small field, purchased more land with the income from that crop, and continued so over the years. It is no different than beginning as a common seaman and working towards a captaincy. Both are hard work and take time."

"I have often thought of becoming a captain of ships, though I think that is a way off. Most captains are older than I."

Neville laughed.

"This from the man who brought my daughter back to me in a boat more fit for a cruise around Port Royal harbour than the open ocean. I am forever in your debt, Mr. Wainwright, and I am acquainted with certain ship owners who would take notice were I to speak to them of your skills. Perhaps a captaincy is not so far away as you think.

"Of course, that would mean leaving Port Royal...and my daughter. I believe you would not like leaving her very much. I saw how you looked after her when you brought her from the ship. It was with some difficulty I was able to take her away from you and bring her home."

Mr. Wainwright turned to look at Neville.

"I was only carrying out the orders given me by Captain Knowles."

"Mr. Wainwright, you may tell yourself that to ease your mind, and you may tell me that and expect me to believe, but your face told me you were obeying the orders of your heart as well. You looked at my Marie as if you care more for her than only a charge given you by your captain. Is that not so."

Mr. Wainwright paused before he spoke. Yes, he did care for her. He had been responsible and she had been injured. The upset to his mind about that had been difficult to bear. It had been impossible to bear the thought of a woman who had captured his mind might never be the same again.

"Yes, it is so, but she does not remember me."

"Perhaps not at the present, but the surgeon said with rest, she would regain her memory as the injury was not so severe. Already she remembers most of her life before the voyage. Marie is a strong girl. I have no doubt 'tis only a matter of time and rest."

"Even if she should, what could I offer her? She has a life of ease and wealth. I have nothing."

Neville smiled.

"Sometimes nothing is enough. It was enough for my Eleanor when we began. If what Madeline tells me is true, I think it might be so with Marie. Before the accident, she was apparently quite stricken with you. Sometimes, though, what you may think is nothing is indeed something. You might find you have wealth of which you are not aware."

Mr. Wainwright chuckled.

"I felt in my pockets this morning. They were empty save for my pocketknife. I doubt Marie would think my pocket knife to be riches."

Neville placed his hand upon Mr. Wainwright's shoulder.

"I believe my daughter desires you more than she desires riches, and I did not say you would have riches. You would have enough wealth to begin, though. Before he took my daughter on board, I gave Captain Knowles my promise of a reward for her safe passage to England. Given the circumstances, I am overjoyed that safe passage was instead back to Port Royal. I do not give my word lightly, and as she is safe and Captain Knowles is undoubtedly with his maker, the reward shall be yours. It is a small sum, only two hundred pounds.

"There is another thing as well. My former overseer was elderly and ill, and passed to his reward some months ago. I have not yet found a man of the correct disposition to replace him. Should that man be you as I believe to be the case, that sum would increase by, say, a hundred pounds each month."

Mr. Wainwright pondered that offer for several moments.

Two hundred pounds was more than he would earn for a two years voyage across the Atlantic. He could not bring himself to accept it, though. His promise to Captain Knowles had been made expecting nothing, and the knowledge he had kept his word was reward enough. As for the suggestion he might remain at Port Royal as an overseer of the plantation, he was certain he had no proper qualifications. He smiled as he attempted to politely refuse both.

"I can not accept your reward, for I only did as my captain ordered. If you are suggesting I become your overseer, I thank you for the opportunity, but I must say I know nothing about how to undertake such a responsibility."

Neville laughed.

"I think that is not the case. Did you not look after and order men to their tasks each and every day at sea? 'Twould be no different on my plantation other than the sea rises and falls while the land does not."

Mr. Wainwright frowned.

"Yes, I did so, but I know nothing of raising sugar."

"There is not so much to know. The cane is planted, grows, and then is fired, harvested and crushed to remove the sap. The water is then boiled away to leave the molasses or sugar. You would soon learn what needs to be done and when."

"Be that as it may, I am no master of slaves. I was raised to believe that one man does not have the right to own another. I have not changed that belief."

Neville smiled.

"And you would not be, for I own no slaves."

"I see only blacks working in the fields."

"Yes, freed men, one and all, as are the household help. Some came to me as freedmen from Saint-Domingue during the revolution. The others, I freed on the day of their purchase. Like you, I also do not think it right for one man to own another. My income is high because of the acres of the plantation and not because I break the spirits and backs of slaves. My blacks have become loyal and hard workers. You would not drive them. You would only oversee their efforts.

"In any event, if I hear correctly from London, those days will soon be over. Parliament is preparing to outlaw the practice. I am only a few years ahead of their schedule."

Mr. Wainwright thought for a moment. He had enjoyed his position as First Mate under Captain Knowles. Captain Knowles was a fair man who worked his crew hard, but knew the difference between working them hard and forcing them to work when they were worked out. Another captain might not be so understanding, and once he'd signed on board would be forced to remain for over a year. Should he accept and then come to dislike the position of overseer, he would be free to leave and again go to sea.

Neville Bonner seemed much like Captain Knowles to him in that he thought both to realize men will work well for a man they respect and not so well for a man for whom they have only fear and hatred. Working for Mr. Bonner would possibly be as enjoyable as working for Captain Knowles. It would mean returning somewhat to his life as a farmer, but as he remembered those times, knowing his efforts had raised and harvested the food to feed the family had been satisfying. Only the stern discipline of his father had caused him to leave that life.

"Mr. Bonner, I would accept your offer, though should Marie regain her memory and not have feelings for me, I will be forced to leave. I could not work every day knowing she is near but cares nothing for me."

Neville smiled.

"Excellent! Let us return to the house and get you settled in the overseer's home."

Neville clucked to the horse and drove them back toward the buildings of the plantation. As they neared the house, they saw Marie running toward them. He urged the horse to a trot, and stopped the carriage when she was beside them. Marie looked up at Mr. Wainwright.

"Mr. Wainwright, please do not leave until we can have a talk together."

Neville's mouth fell open.

"Marie, you remember Mr. Wainwright?"

"Yes, Father. I remembered this morning. I remembered everything, and I must speak with him."

Neville smiled and clapped Mr. Wainwright on the shoulder.

"Saints be praised. My daughter is herself again as I told you she soon would be. Perhaps you should walk back to the house with her. I trust you will tell her of our discussion. I believe she would enjoy hearing of it."

As Neville drove the carriage away, Marie touched Mr. Wainwright's hand.

"Mr. Wainwright, when I awoke this morning, I remembered you and our stay on the island and our voyage back to Port Royal. I thought I should thank you for looking after myself and Madeline."

"I was only doing my duty to my Captain."

"I understand, but I hoped you might..."

Marie looked at her feet. Her voice was soft and quavered somewhat.

"I hoped Madeline was not correct about sailors."

"And what did Madeline tell you about sailors?"

"She told me you would leave us and go to sea again as soon as we reached Port Royal."

He shrugged.

"It has been two weeks and I still remain here. It would seem Mrs. Mayes does not know sailors as well as she believes. At least she does not know this sailor very well."

"Why did you stay?"

"It was my doing that caused you to be injured. I wanted to be certain you recovered."

"My presence on the Rislane was not of your doing, and neither was the threat of the pirates that forced us to the island. The accident was caused by the storm, not by you. Your only doing was your care for us on the island and bringing us safely to Port Royal."

"Yes, but your pain caused me a great pain as well. Had I not stayed to see you well again, I would have carried that pain forever."

Marie sniffed and dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief.

"And now that I am well, you will leave?"

"Is there some reason I should stay?"

"Yes. I -- I do not know if I could bear your leaving."

He touched her on the shoulder.

"Would it be a surprise to you if I said I agreed to become your father's overseer for that very same reason?"

She smiled.

"You did...you will stay...to be with me?"

He chuckled and held out his arms.

"Yes, Marie, I agreed to stay because of you. We would have to be man and wife. Is that something to which you would agree?"

"Is taking me as your wife something you truly want?"

"It has been so since the island."

Marie put her arms around his neck and pressed her body close.

"I will agree if you will do two things."

He touched her cheek and smiled.

"And what might those things be?"

Marie smiled.

"If you are to be my husband, I cannot continue to call you Mr. Wainwright. What is your given name?"

He put his arms around her.

"Todd. My name is Todd. What is the second thing I must do?"

"Kiss me, if it is not too much trouble for an overseer to do so."

Marie's wedding dress was one sewn by Madeline's own hands over the next two months. She thought Marie looked very much like her mother as she walked down the aisle of the church on Neville's arm. She began to weep when Neville was asked, "who giveth this bride" and answered, "Her late mother, her guardian, Mrs. Mayes, and I do." She was still wiping her eyes when Marie and Todd left the church, got into the carriage, and drove to the overseer's house on the plantation.

That night, Madeline sat alone in her room and wondered if Marie was fearful or excited about what would happen. She and Marie had discussed this night on several occasions and she knew Marie understood what would transpire and did not seem to fear it. She only hoped Mr. Wainwright would be as caring on this night as he had been with the girl before.

In the bedroom of the overseer's house, Marie removed her clothing, slipped the thin, white silk chemise over her head and shoulders, and then smoothed it over the swell of her hips. She was excited by what she knew would happen, but also a little fearful. Madeline had said there would be pain, but not so much.

She remembered his size from the island. He seemed so very large. How could something so large not cause pain? She was nervous when she opened the bedroom door and called to Todd.

"Husband, I am ready."

He stood for a moment and drank in her soft beauty. She looked delicate and fragile, as delicate as the petals of a flower and as fragile as the snowflakes that fell on his home when he was a boy. He undressed, then took her in his arms.

"I have dreamed of this moment since the island."

"As have I, my husband. I wished for this until I could wish no more."

"Do you fear what is about to happen?"

"A little, though Madeline explained a way to ease my becoming a woman."

"What might that way be?"

Marie gently placed his hand on her breast.

"If you are to touch me here, I will respond and become more open."

Marie moved his hand to her mound.

"Then you should touch me here, until I am overcome with desire for your entry. The way will be more glib."

He smiled.

"I shall do as Madeline suggested then."

He lifted the chemise from her body and then over her head. Marie trembled as he laid her gently on the bed and then reclined beside her.

With one hand he cupped her firm breast and squeezed gently.

"Is this as Madeline instructed."

Marie felt the tingling sensation race to her center.

"Yes. You must touch the tips as well."

He traced the dark circle around her nipple with a fingertip and smiled as he felt the skin pucker. His fingertip on Marie's nipple caused her to gasp as it stiffened and grew longer. She moved closer and kissed him as the tingles became strong enough to tighten her belly. She moaned softly when he lightly pinched the stiff nub.

"Oh...I did not believe it would cause such strong feelings, but it does."

He chuckled.

"So I see. Perhaps were I to do this --"

He bent and took her nipple in his mouth, then suckled gently. Marie gasped.

"Oh Todd, again and again and again."

As he mouthed Marie's rigid nipple, he let his hand stroke down her flank, then over her rippling belly and down to the auburn curls of her mound. His fingertip found the separation of her lips, then slipped between them. Marie gasped again, then once again as his fingertip moved lower and found the portal. Her hips lifted as he gently moved the fingertip in and out.

Todd knew something of the making of a woman, though he had never yet had the experience. He knew Marie's maidenhead would be snug and that tearing away that maidenhead would cause her pain. As Marie's hips lifted to press his finger deeper inside her, he felt the tightness. As gently as he could, he pressed his finger deeper and then deeper still. He felt the wet warmth of her passage around his finger and understood that would ease his entry.

Marie became lost in the feelings his fingertip caused to race through her body. Both those feelings and the tingles from her nipples crashed together at her center and forced moans from her throat. She felt her body becoming tense, as if some preparing for something to happen. Madeline had said this would be so, and Marie put her arms around Todd and whispered, "Now, husband, make me your woman."

He knelt between Marie's upraised and open thighs and place the head of his cock between her curl-covered lips, then pushed forward. His cock slipped up and over a small bump at the top of those lips. Marie gasped, rocked her hips up, and clasped her arms around his back.