Sandcastles

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She held out my glass to me as I neared her, and I paused, then accepted it with a grin. "Oh, if you insist," I said. I took a sip.

"I don't like starting alone," she confessed with a smile. "Now I feel more comfortable. I really like that bikini. It suits you perfectly."

"Mm," I said, "it was a lucky find. It's a good blue for me, though I usually go several shades darker. It masks better," I added, with a wince. "Draws less... attention, if you know what I mean."

"Ugh," she agreed. "Men are impossible. Well, anyway, you look divine in it. Go shower so we can drink and eat and be mischievous."

And she smiled, eyes twinkling at me as she took another sip of wine.

I put my wineglass down and sauntered through to the bathroom, leaving the door open so that I could still talk to her. I turned on the water, stripped, and dropped my bikini top and bottoms into the sink to be dealt with later.

"So what have you been doing with yourself all these years?" I called.

"What?" she replied.

I stuck my head out around the corner. "What have you been doing with yourself..."

"Oh. Right. The usual, you know. School. University. Work. Relationship after catastrophic relationship," she laughed.

"Oh dear."

I ducked back and climbed into the shower, sighing out as the hot water sluiced over me.

"What was that?" I called, in answer something that I didn't quite catch.

She said something more loudly.

"Just come here and tell me, I can't hear you!" I shouted, laughing.

She appeared at the door, squeaked, and looked quickly away.

"Sorry," she said, flustered. "I didn't realise you were in the shower already..."

"It's fine, I don't mind," I spluttered around the water. I reached for my soap, worked up a lather and started to wash myself. "What were you saying?"

"Just a short exposé on my various disasters," she said.

"That sounds entertaining."

"For someone, certainly," she admitted wryly. I wiped water out of my eyes and glanced at her; she was strangely flushed and staring fixedly down at her wineglass.

I rinsed myself clean of salt and soap, then cleared the last suds off my legs and thighs. One more brisk whole-body rinse from the shower head and I turned off the water. I reached for my towel and began to dry myself, watching her as I did, wondering who she'd become.

"So what's work?" I asked her.

"Office work," she said. "Nothing important."

"Like me," I answered. "I'm in admin."

"I'm in finance," she replied. "Are we a cliché yet?"

"Not yet, but I feel one coming on," I laughed. I straightened and brushed past her as I made for my bedroom where I chose some worn underwear, linen shorts and a tee shirt to wriggle in to.

I straightened, bunched my hair up behind me, and tied it up with one of my old hairbands.

"Ariadne is clothed," I announced.

"Is that what you call that, then," she said, amused. She held out my wine to me; I took my glass and clinked it gently to hers.

"Well," she added softly. "This is... a really, really nice way to end the day, to be honest. This makes up for so much. All my Christmases have come at once."

"I'm glad you're here," I said. "I've... shit, Charley, it's only just starting to sink in just how much I missed you."

She glanced up at me, flushed a deeper pink, and then looked away.

"... yeah, ditto," she said softly.

"Come on," I bubbled as I took her arm. "Lets get drunk and make supper."

"Now that," she said, "is speaking my lingo."

.:.

"And so that's the story of it," she sighed. "Dad split with mum and moved in with his girlfriend, and with him gone... well, what holidays I got were in a leaky tent at Camber Sands rather than here. At least, until I could afford to come back by myself. I always wanted to bring mum back here, but she was always ill. And when we finally found out why... well, it was too late. She went and croaked on me two years ago."

"Oh... oh Charley, Christ, I'm so sorry..."

"Oh Ari, it's fine, she went peacefully in the end and we had lots of time to get ready. I miss her but it doesn't shatter me any more, you know? She had a good innings and went out in her own bed at home with me and her best friends and her favourite music. There are worse things that happen."

She smiled bravely; I didn't mention or acknowledge the tiny tears she tried to hide behind a cough.

Instead, I refilled her wineglass, and topped up mine. I sipped my wine, then lay back with a groan, watching the moon rise slowly behind the hills on the far side of the bay.

She sighed softly beside me.

"So yeah," she said. "I can't say life has been unicorns and rainbows since we last saw one another."

"I feel so guilty for losing your number. I would have given a lot to have been able to reach out to you."

"That would have been nice," she agreed. "To have my partner in crime when I needed her. I can remember a couple of occasions where that would have made quite a difference..."

"I'm really so sorry," I breathed, ashamed.

"Hey, no, don't... Ari, I didn't mean it like that," she said. She reached out and brushed my hand with her fingers. "And anyway, it's turned out okay, hasn't it? You're here, I'm here..."

"We're not children any more, though."

"That means nothing to me. I still build sandcastles," she said. "And I'm never going to stop. Plus it means we can drink together, so that's a plus... isn't it?"

Her smile was glorious despite her earlier sadness, a gorgeous upwelling of emotion that blazed outwards like a searchlight, and her eyes were if anything an even richer honey brown than they'd been in her youth.

Her youth...

I laughed out loud.

"What is it?" she protested. "What are you laughing at?"

"I just caught myself thinking of something very funny related to our ages, and then remembered that we're both young."

"Young and wild at heart."

I grinned.

"Pity you don't have a pool," she added.

"Why?"

"I've got a sudden urge to go skinny-dipping."

I laughed again. "You'll scandalise everyone here."

She grinned at me over the lip of her wineglass. "Everyone?" she smirked.

"Almost everyone," I admitted. "I'm not easily shocked by casual nudity. I did Fine Art as an elective at Uni, and... well, sometimes I did modelling for the department as well."

"Really?" she said softly, eyebrow creeping upwards.

"Yeah. Anyway... after the hundredth man had stared fixedly at my nethers I kind of lost most of my sense of shame. You could always walk down to the ocean and do it there. Out of sight, to to speak."

"Mhmm. I might just do that."

A group of lights slowly traversed the bay; a launch or sailing yacht late to berthing.

"How long are you here for?" I asked her.

"Three more nights and a couple of hours on the last day."

"And then?"

"Back to Lincoln and reality."

"Oh! I'm in Ipswich. It's not so far, two or three hours by bus. We should totally meet up for a weekend."

She glanced across at me, then looked away and shifted on her deck chair. "That sounds nice," she admitted. "Though... it would take a lot to top this view," she sighed as she stared out at the moonlit bay.

"That's true."

"So, Ari..." she said softly.

"Uh huh?"

"Have you got anyone in your life at all?"

I snorted. "Nope."

"Really? A lovely vision like you?"

I grimaced. "I... don't really date or anything."

"Who said anything about dating?" she asked with a wicked little grin. "You don't need to commit to someone to enjoy them, you know..."

"Um..."

"Did I just shock you?"

She stared at me, then started to laugh, loud and deep in her throat.

"So you can be shocked," she cackled. "Oh, I'm going to remember that."

I sipped my wine, conscious of the warm flush on my cheeks. "Not shocked, no. No. To answer you, I'm single and unattached and... really, rather celibate to be honest. I don't have much patience for most people. And... I'm well served in the physical department, anyway. I have a very diligent and attentive boyfriend. He lives in a drawer and comes out only when required."

She sniggered. "Oh, fine, fine. I think I may know his brother."

"Or maybe he's just using us as timeshare..."

"Men," she agreed, rolling her eyes. "So... since we're on this track already and dirty talk is my second favourite thing... how long have you been single?"

"Technically... forever?"

"What! Seriously?"

"Oh, yeah. I've dabbled, but commitment? Meh. Also, I discovered very quickly that the idea of sex was better than the actuality of it. It's very... messy, especially if you're not expecting just how messy it can be. And it's smelly. And horribly... biological. And... well, risky, really, when you get down to it. Isn't it? So no, I've kind of sworn off it. Well, mostly," I admitted. "Sometimes... well. Sometimes it's easier than other times. I don't miss having a guy in me, really, and I really, really don't miss being full of... well, you know. But I do miss being being held. Being... wanted, however briefly..." I ended, softly.

"I lose my mind if I go too long without touch," she said. "Someone in me, and someone holding me. I need both. I crave both."

I sipped my wine. "So how long's it been for you then?"

"Couple of months. And yes, I'm getting into the red zone," she muttered. "And when that happens I start making bad decisions. I discovered that on my twentieth birthday, when two friends gave me my... birthday present."

"From the pregnant pause I'm guessing it was something depraved. What was it?"

"It was a threesome," she said, amused.

I flushed at the sudden mental image and shifted to try to ease the sudden strange tension in my belly.

"Two guys?"

"Oh, no, one of each."

"Oh! Wow. Okay... and?"

"Uh... lets just say it was... not what was advertised," she admitted with a wry little grin. "I was promised multiple orgasms, and got none. I was very much the backup booty," she added, "because he wrecked her. She couldn't walk straight by the end. Lucky tart. I didn't even get a consolation tee shirt. I think I was actually just there to satisfy some latent fetish they both had for exhibitionism. Could probably have kept my clothes on and just been a commentator. Blow by blow," she smirked.

"Oof. That's false advertising," I laughed.

"I know. I was extremely... unsatisfied. All dressed down and nowhere to go. Right. Your turn."

"Um... I don't really..." I began to protest.

"Yeah, you do. I know you totally do. You spin the innocent act far too well. Your turn, Ari. Tell me something depraved. Or failing that, let's try for risqué."

She leaned back, eyes slitted, grinning wickedly.

"Right. Fine. I... own and have worn a corset," I said.

Her eyes flicked open and she let out a low whistle.

"Wow. I bet that must be something to behold, with that lovely figure of yours. Ever worn it... out?"

"Yeah. Once, to fancy dress... but it's quite low cut and... gets the wrong kind of attention. I don't like attention, really. It... squicks me out. I got groped to boot, which was as revolting as it sounds."

"Ugh," she shuddered.

"Luckily some mates sorted the guy out. Thoroughly. So yeah, I can't say that was on my list of things to repeat. It lives in the bottom drawer, alongside our mutual boyfriend. Maybe I'll find someone to wear it for... someday. But I doubt it."

"Mm. So... what do you like then?"

"I guess what anyone wants? Intimacy. Hugs. Not that I get any of them often. Certainly not often enough for me to... relax enough to want anything else with any regularity. I'd give a lot for someone to just hold me, sometimes," I said softly. "I imagine that would be nice."

She rolled onto her side and eyed me. "A girl like you could have any man she wanted."

"You say that like it's a plus," I said.

"Isn't it? I wish I was tall like you, I'd be unstoppable."

"Charley, that's nonsense. You've got proportions most women would kill for and to top it all you've got a breathtaking smile. Add your heart and personality into the mix and, well... enough said, really."

She looked away for a moment.

"I prefer your tall darkness," she murmured. "Always used to dream I could swap bodies with you for a day and see what it was like to have those lovely curls of yours."

"I'll save you the time. They're frustrating," I laughed. "They're almost always in the way."

"Mm. I always did fancy them," she said, almost in a whisper.

We lay back on our recliners, and after a few moments she reached out and took my hand.

"I'm so glad I found you again."

"So am I. More than I can put into words right now," I answered.

And I smiled as she squeezed my hand.

.:.

"What are your plans for tomorrow?" she said as she adjusted her ponytail.

"I don't know yet. Nothing firm."

"How about we meet after breakfast? I can come here. It's far easier to find you that way."

"That would work for me. And... what, invent our day from there?"

"Yep," she said with a smile. "We can do whatever strikes us as fun."

"I'd really like that."

"Good," she said. She grinned up at me and took a breath, then suddenly stepped in and wrapped her arms around me.

"God, Ari, I missed you so much," she whispered, and I shivered at her touch. Slowly, hesitantly, I wrapped my arms around her and burrowed in against her.

She felt wonderful.

Some unknowable length of time later she let out a soft sigh, and it felt much longer before either of us were prepared to let go.

But, finally, she released me.

She reached up to brush my curls out of my eyes.

"Sleep well," she said.

"You too," I whispered. "See you tomorrow."

"Not if I see you first," she answered with a small, private smile.

And she turned and walked away, and I watched her go, blissful that all was once more right with my world.

.:.

Dawn found me awake and overflowing with nervous energy. I inhaled my breakfast as the sun staggered clear of the eastern horizon, and was pacing from deck to kitchen and back well before anyone else stirred. The world was bright, joy-filled, there to be experienced in full. The sun was more golden than normal, the sky and waves brighter and bluer, the air as crystal-clear as I could ever remember it being.

My partner in crime finally swanned up to my chalet door nearly two full hours after sunrise.

"Sorry I'm late," she said, by way of apology. "I slept like a baby."

"Uh huh. Better late than never, I suppose. You look... elegant," I said as I admired her pastel and white linens and grinned at her incongruous dirty peach trainers.

"Thanks," she said. "I should have probably gone for a sundress like you have but... well, I burn at the drop of a hat, so this will be better for me - if far less fetching. Gosh, you do look nice in saffron. So...options for the day. I have a suggestion if you'd like to hear it?"

"Uh huh?"

"I rented a scooter when I got here. There's an old temple complex a bit further down the coast if you feel like some sight-seeing; the route there is pretty and there's a quiet shallow bay about midway along that's good swimming. Or... we could just chill around here if you'd prefer that..."

"A road trips sounds grand. Wait. You've got a license, right?"

"Yeah, I've got a bike back home," she said. "So I won't kill you. Probably," she added with a grin.

I laughed. "It sounds like a fun adventure. Should I pack my costume?"

"I did," she said. "Mind if I borrow your coffee machine? I'm parched."

"Knock yourself out."

I scuttled to the bathroom and retrieved my bikini and a spare towel. I dug my ancient pink day-trip backpack out of my suitcase and packed what I needed.

"Want a brew before we go?" Charley called.

"Yeah, please, just a small one. A single shot."

"Sure thing, babe."

We dumped the cups in the sink to deal with later. I locked the sliding glass door, then turned to smile at her.

"I have missed this so much," I said softly. "This sense of anticipation of the trouble that we're about to cause for ourselves."

She laughed loudly. "A different class of trouble these days to back then," she said. "But I know precisely what you mean."

"So where's our humble chariot?"

"It's parked down near the tennis courts," she said. "That is if nobody's stolen or torched the blasted thing yet."

"Do you do this a lot?"

"Scooter touring? Oh yes - back home, that is. Over fine weekends I hop onto mine and head off onto the back roads. Mine's pretty limited range-wise but it's a nice way to get out and explore the countryside a bit. It seemed like a natural thing to do here too."

"It sounds like a blast."

"Hopefully not in the literal sense. Are you good to go?"

"Yeah," I said, as I slung my bag up over my shoulder.

She twirled a set of keys idly around her finger as we walked down the slope towards where she'd parked the scooter. I noticed that her cheeks were flushed, and she was softly humming short snatches of songs I almost recognised.

"You're in a good mood," I said. "No hangover?"

"Slight, but... I've always liked mornings. And this is a great morning by any measure. Top three at least."

"Yeah, it is."

I felt her fingers fumbling against mine, and smiled to myself as I took her hand. She squeezed mine and let out a soft sigh.

"Well, this is it," she said. "Our noble steed. Such as it is," she added with a wry aside as she gestured theatrically at the battered silver Piaggio that leaned against a pole.

We stashed our bags under the seat and then I stood, watching as she rocked the scooter off its centre stand.

"It sounds like an asthmatic lawnmower and breathes out more fumes than a chain-smoking dragon," she said apologetically. "We won't be talking much on the way."

"Oh, that's OK, I don't mind," I laughed. "I don't have much worth talking about anyway."

"I'd listen to you recite the alphabet," she said, and she started the engine before I could give her my sarcastic reply.

We let the scooter idle until it had settled and stopped belching quite so much blue smoke.

She passed me her open-faced helmet and helped me put it on, then straddled the scooter and sat down.

"Hop on," she said, loudly. "Hold on to me and let's get moving."

So I climbed onto the seat behind her, and wrapped my arms around her, and sighed softly at the bright warm glow that her proximity lit within me.

She slowly walked us around, and guided us out onto the small coastal road, and I simply held on to her, humming quietly to myself as the distance slowly began to unroll behind us.

.:.

"So tell me more about you, Ari," she said.

We were sitting side by side, staring out at the Aegean from our perch on the tumbled temple's stylobate. She'd balanced a small paper plate of dolmades across her slender thighs; we shared them and enjoyed the faint hint of the breeze and the scent of dust and cedars it carried up the slope to us.

I finished chewing, swallowed, then took a sip of water from my plastic water bottle.

"What do you want to know?" I answered, at last.

"Oh, this and that. Who you are, who you want to be..."

I shrugged. "I'll have to get back to you on the second one."

She snorted. "I guess that's only fair. Still working it out, I guess?"

"Yeah."

I squinted out at the distant horizon, then ducked out of the way as a wasp buzzed me en route to our plate.

"Shoo, you silly thing," Charley said as she flapped her hand at it.

"Don't piss it off, they can be complete arseholes."

We watched the interloper fly away.

"Good," I said. "It went quietly. God, they're bastards this time of year."

"Mm. Hopefully it stays away. So... tell me. Are you happy, Ari?"

I sighed.

"No," I admitted.

"Explain?" she said.

"I don't know. I'm... unfulfilled, I guess. I grew up reading books like Treasure Island or Moonfleet - you know, fantasy yarns that were full of adventure and had a defined plot and a... a happy ever after of some sort for the hero or heroine. And I guess that younger me thought that that was going to be my life. I'd finish school and go off and magically find a purpose and a goal."

123456...8