Sari's Bargain

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I slumped down on the bench seat that ran along the wall.

“Would you like to see someone…a counsellor…the chaplain?” The doctor asked.

I shook my head.

“Would you like to see him?”

I nodded and he led me through the interminable corridors of the hospital until finally we arrived in a room festooned with tubes, wires and oxygen bottles and all the other paraphernalia of resuscitation.

Father lay on a bed, the nurses still tidying away some of the equipment they had used. I looked down at him. He seemed diminished and there rose up before me memories of him at the height of his powers. Tall, handsome and strident; a man to command attention; and now, this...this shell of what once had been.

Guilt rose up within me. I had defied him, refused to take on the mantle he had prepared for me. I had enjoyed his money and betrayed him with his wife. He had died thinking he had a son who was not in fact his son.

During my training I had seen death many times but now its full impact was driven home to me. The wasted years…all that might have been…the broken relationship.

The tears came and a nurse took my arm and led me gently to a side room.

“I’ll get you a cup of tea or coffee she said.”

I sat staring out of the window. We were on the ninth floor and a panorama of our city was spread out before me. I could see tiny figures scurrying along, the traffic crawling along the crowded streets. I had the fleeting thought, “What is it all for?”

The nurse returned with my tea and said, “Your wife is here, Mr. Brook. She’s on her way up now I’ll meet her at the lift and bring her in here.”

I almost said I had no wife but stopped myself just in time. It was a natural mistake and one that must have been reinforced when she saw a lovely young woman stepping out of the lift.

Sari came to me and put her arms round me and together we wept.

We stayed silent for a long time holding on to each other, and then Sari, speaking very low said, “The bargain is fulfilled.”