Saving the Company Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,332 Followers

"Sally knows!" Bethany groaned. "That means everyone in the company thinks..."

"Probably," I agreed.

"This is ridiculous!" Bethany finally sighed.

"I agree," I said. "Since everybody knows, why try and deny it or keep it a secret?"

"Because you work for my boss!" Bethany snapped. The words sounded hallow. She couldn't still be using our working together as a reason to keep us apart? Could she? At this point that would be crazy.

"And he's doing his best to help us get together!" I argued, trying to figure out how last night turned into this morning. I was too old to be in this much pain over a woman!

"I think you should take me home," Bethany said again.

"Bethany," I said, using my hand to move her chin gently until she was looking at me once more. "I've fallen in love with you."

She had to return my love. No two people shared the type of night we had without there being love involved. Did they?

"Take me home!" Bethany cried, her denial of my love plain to see on her face. It was not the reaction I hoped for considering she was the first woman since my ex-wife that made me feel this way. I really was unlucky in love.

"So, last night meant nothing to you?" I asked one more time.

"I already answered that question. Now are you going to take me home or do I call a cab?" she snapped. I looked at her carefully and watched as her eyes darted around the room. The truth suddenly hit me.

I kept telling everyone that I would just be patient until she saw the truth. The problem was she already knew it. I loved her and deep in her heart I thought she loved me. I'd finally met someone more afraid of love than me. Her denial of that love physically hurt!

"Fine," I said coldly. "Get your clothes." I had enough. I wasn't going to beg her to stay with me! It wasn't like I was short of company if I wanted it.

The trip to her house went by in complete and total silence. I couldn't remember being so angry in my entire life, not even when my ex-wife left me. We arrived at Bethany's house in record time. I frowned as I realized that I couldn't remember much of the drive over.

"Joe..." Bethany began.

"Yes?" I interrupted. My anger was barely suppressed and it surprised me more than it did her, but that surprise did nothing to lesson it.

"Thanks for dinner and the ride," she said. "Thanks for everything." I grunted. Bethany stepped out of the car and shut the door. I hit the gas before she had time to turn away. I noticed her through the rearview mirror. She was looking at my car as I drove away.

"You finally got what you wanted," I growled. "I hope it makes you happy."

**********

Sally frowned. She knew something had happened between Joe and Sally, and that it wasn't good. Joe had stomped into the office early. He spent five minutes and then stomped out.

It should have surprised Sally when Bethany walked out of the office a few minutes after she arrived as well, but it didn't. Sally didn't know what was going on and she found that extremely frustrating. She was tempted to call Bethany's daughter Jennie to find out if she knew what was going on.

Brad walked in late, which was an oddity for him. Cherie had set up a doctor's appointment for him to have his heart checked. It was silly because Brad's heart was as sound as a man half his age, but it was just another of Cherie's little reminders that he was getting old. She did that when she was mad at him. Maybe he shouldn't have spent the last few Sundays at the office.

The management meeting was supposed to start in a couple of minutes. He ran to his office and dropped off his coat. He was surprised to see that Bethany had left his status folder on his desk instead of bringing it to the meeting.

'Oh, well,' he thought. 'She must have heard about my part in trying to get her and Joe together and decided to show her displeasure. The women I care about are going to be the death of me yet!'

He walked to the conference room. The door was open, but he saw that only Karl and Judy were present. He walked in with a frown.

"Have we heard from Joe or Bethany?" he asked.

"I haven't heard anything," Judy said with a frown.

"Me neither," Karl shrugged uncaringly.

"It's not like either of them to be late," Judy said in a worried tone.

'Unless of course they are together and decided to take a long weekend,' Brad thought to himself hopefully, however it didn't sound right. He called the reception area.

"Sally, any word from Joe or Bethany?"

"They were both in earlier and left," Sally replied, and then added carefully, "Separately. Neither looked particularly happy."

"Thank you," Brad said and hung up. "I guess we should get started without them."

"Sounds good to me," Karl said jovially. Brad frowned. Karl was enjoying their absence far too obviously.

Brad opened his folder and groaned at what he saw. The minutes from the last status meeting were there, but on top of them was an envelop with his name printed on it. It was clearly in Bethany's handwriting. Brad was afraid of this. He removed the envelope and opened it, reading it carefully.

"Is everything okay?" Judy asked.

"It seems that Bethany has resigned," Brad replied in a monotone.

"Oh no!" Judy said. Karl shrugged. He didn't see what the big deal was. Bethany was just a glorified secretary anyway.

"I can have my secretary call and get a temp in for this afternoon if you'd like?" he offered and then wondered why Brad turned red and Judy gave him an odd look.

Brad let out a long breath. Now wasn't the time to let Karl's stupidity get the better of him. He reached for the copy of the minutes that Bethany had obviously placed in his folder this morning before she quit. Underneath he found another envelop facing down. He flipped it over and once again saw his name. This time it was written in Joe's handwriting. He was stunned. Brad opened it and read it carefully.

"What is it Brad?" Judy asked.

"Joe's resigned as well," he replied. His heart was strong, but a day like this was almost too much anyway.

"You're joking?" Judy asked in disbelief.

"I wish I were," Brad replied.

"This is horrible news for the company," Judy groaned.

"No it's not," Karl said, sounding happy and truly satisfied. He didn't know what brought on Joe's resignation, but it probably only saved him a couple of months of employment anyway. He smiled as he added to Brad, "I was planning on firing him when you made me the CEO anyway."

Judy was looking at him oddly again. This time she was also shaking her head, but Karl didn't care. Her time would come soon enough as well. She should never have sided with Joe on so many issues.

"Karl?" Brad said, getting the COO's attention.

"Yes?" Karl asked.

"You're fired."

"What?" Karl said. Brad couldn't be serious!

"I was willing to put up with you for Bradley's sake, but with Bethany and Joe gone this company has far too many problems to let you continue to coast. I can't afford to keep you no matter how close you are to Bradley," Brad sighed.

Judy watched the disbelief dawn on Karl's face. If he were smart, he'd get up and simply walk out, but Karl could never be accused of being that. She watched and waited for the explosion. She noticed that Brad had already dismissed Karl from him mind. He was taking the loss of Joe and Bethany badly, but who could blame him? She wasn't exactly ecstatic over what happened. What could possibly have happened for both of them to quit?

"You need me old man!" Karl finally snapped. "I'm the only one that can save this company! You all but destroyed it by coming out of retirement! That's probably why Joe and Bethany quit in the first place!"

Judy's eye grew bigger at Karl words. The most frightening part was that he actually believed them.

"Get out!" Brad growled, barely controlling himself.

"I'm not going anywhere!" Karl replied stubbornly.

"Oh yes you are!"

Judy reached for the phone and called security.

JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,332 Followers