All Comments on 'Setting Sail on a Black Sea Ch. 01'

by Tefler

Sort by:
  • 48 Comments
TeflerTeflerabout 8 years agoAuthor
Preemptive FAQ

1) No, I haven't got bored with 'Three square meals', this is an intro to the next series I plan to write.

2) Apologies if there are any historical inaccuracies, I'm no expert on 18th century sailing, but hopefully the dates, wars and monarchs mentioned should be correct.

3) Yes, this is set in the same universe as the other series.

It was fun writing something in a different setting (for most of the story at least!), I hope you enjoyed it.

Tefler

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
O snap

THIS IS CANNON? the possibilities are endless.This looks to be fun and interesting.I wish you the best of luck with it.I will try to continue to follow it and three meals faithfully as i have since day one of three meals.I'm extremely excited to see where this goes.

Inevitable_Inevitable_about 8 years ago
Enjoyable

I have to say that overall I enjoyed it and I'm curious where you'll go with a more normal person(as normal as someone a millennium out of place can be), a regular Terran is I guess what I mean.

I'm always worried when people bring up time travel as it seems like one of those things that can be a bit gimmicky as stories progress. Especially considering you intend to put this in the same universe as John Blake and crew which has shown no indication of knowledge of time travel but so far so good so I'll trust you on this one.

I'll admit I found the battle scene a bit confusing to visualize.

I also found this sentence confusing " with just three doors leading off it, two to his immediate left and right, and one at the end of the hall." I'm not sure if that's just me though so maybe other feedback would help. I would've replaced the word two with one.

It's an otherwise solid intro and a good premise to start a series. Especially considering the line from the Andromeda TV series about how Napoleon may have been a relic if he was moved forward less than 150 years in time.

The sex scene was enjoyable and it was interesting to see you write something more balanced and human than what TSM is all about.

I'm all about TSM right now but I'm glad to see your passion about writing and telling stories keeps growing and that you want to stick with your created universe.

Can't wait for TSM 37 tomorrow.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Just a curiosity

Seems like a good trainer in the art of sword fighting to me.

SirCarlSirCarlabout 8 years ago
Very well done.... again..

Just as with "Three Square Meals" this is very well thought out, presented, and written. Keep it going..... but I am still following "Three Square Meals" so don't slow down on it.....

cittrancittranabout 8 years ago
Well okay then.

You have my attention.

And now I'm obligated to read TSM, apparently. Oh darn.

[/sarcasm]

cayoviolistcayoviolistabout 8 years ago
Please Keep the Stories Coming

I always get a little concerned when an author I like branches out from a series I'm really enjoying to start something else. While I have seen a few authors pull it off, far more have gotten bogged down and I never see anything else from them again. I'm really hoping that you'll keep your momentum on Three Square Meals.

While this looks like it could be a really great read, I don't think the beginning was as strong as TSM's beginning was. The sci-fi element felt rather tacked on, with only the very end showing that something more was going on. I understand that you wanted to keep with Captain Taylor as the viewpoint character, but if you had picked one of the UFO's crew to show a quick scene here and there it could have been stronger and kept me from feeling like I was being thrown in a whole new direction.

I really enjoy your stories. Keep 'em coming, please!

TeflerTeflerabout 8 years agoAuthor
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

To all the people below, thanks for the nice comments. I'm glad you enjoyed my first tentative steps into a different story.

@inevitable

Thanks for the note about the doors. I've created an edited version and corrected that, along with a few typos and a name change cockup.

@cayoviolist:

"I don't think the beginning was as strong as TSM's beginning was... I understand that you wanted to keep with Captain Taylor as the viewpoint character... feeling like I was being thrown in a whole new direction."

That's an interesting point. I was going for a 'From dusk till dawn' kind of a vibe, where the story starts off in one direction, before lurching off into a whole different genre.

I wanted to keep it purely from Captain Taylor's point of view, to emphasise the shock and disorientation he feels when confronted with the reality of life in the 28th century, and hopefully allow the reader to feel that a little too. We'll have to wait and see if it pays off!

It will be a while before I continue this story, as I want to stay immersed in 3SM for the time being. Switching between entirely new casts and storylines is too disorientating for me to keep track of everything, and I have a lot of sub plots going on in the other story right now.

SnowRevolSnowRevolabout 8 years ago
-facedesk-

DAMN YOU! Now I have More Stories and Series to try and keep watchs on! Plus this being in same universe as John is going to make everything even more unique and interesting! I Have a Feeling John Wont be the Only Ship Commander/Captain Soon. He maybe a Great Swordsman, (but He's Rapier not Katana HUGE Actual Fighting Style Difference.) but his teaching wouldn't Work. I have a Feeling, Since there was no actual details about our time-Travelers besides a Disembodied Voice, An Alien-ish Named Doctor/Healer and a "Young Woman" Good Start of the Story, and I cant wait to see how to Twine them. just Please DONT Have Matthew be an old(er/ish) Story or find. If your adding him to Johns Universe this way Having them actually Meet and Interact (thru there own stories/Ships/Events) Will be an AMAZING Twist to your already awesome TSM's.

-Revol

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Start

Great start more very soon I hope.

dHt55dHt55almost 8 years ago

You should pull elements from the afflicted on Lit. That is prob one of the best stories on Literotica

South_TexasSouth_Texasalmost 8 years ago
Sailing into the sunset

when headed West

sunset behind when sailing East

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
That's embarrassing!

I've corrected the sunset behind them mistake in an edited version I've submitted. Thanks for pointing that out!

sithonsithonalmost 8 years ago
Great start 5 stars.

I'm hoping to see the follow ups to this story soon.

Entertaining writing.

Ge59Ge59almost 8 years ago

I have kept up with your other story as you post the updates and this one has a great start also and hope that you update it as well in the near future. Please keep up the great work.

Dont_miss_meDont_miss_mealmost 8 years ago

First the John Blake series and now this... Keep the good stories coming...

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
I will revisit this one at some point, I promise!

I'm up to my quad with all the plots and subplots of the Three Square Meals story, and juggling this as well would make my head explode. I'll get back to It eventually though, and thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
please continue writing

I enjoyed this story very much I hope you will continue writing further chapters for three square meals and setting sail on a black sea.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Great story telling

Hi Tefler, you are skilled at building the characters and the story line, love to immerse myself in the tales and see where you take us.

Wonderful writing, keep it up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Almost as good as Three Square Meals, it would be nice to see another chapter if you have the time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Great beginning

This looks like the makings of another great story. I look forward to seeing how this story unfolds. However, please don't stop writing on the "Three Square Meals". That story has me riveted and I really look forward to each and every chapter you post.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Great story

I read this first and am looking forward to the next chapter because it kept me inthralded. Looking forward to reading the next story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
More please

I know your working on three square story but please more of this one as well

Timmy4uTimmy4uover 6 years ago
You got me very curious

I have read all Mighty chapters of TSM and just read this and I am looking forward to more

scorge30scorge30over 6 years ago
More please again

And yet another story that I would like to read more of.

johnm9171johnm9171over 6 years ago
Please continue

Please do more of this story

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
please, MOAR!!!

Please, this story sounds AWESOME!!! Please continue it - I'd LOVE to read more.

biercebierceover 6 years ago
I agree with the others

Please, after you finish TSM. continue this story line. Way too interesting to let drop. Again, great start with interesting characters.

tpoore081tpoore081over 6 years ago
Talk about a cliffhanger!!

I know TSM has you pretty busy.... this story has some awesome potential also!! Please continue it when you have time.

ArediaArediaover 6 years ago
Please continue this

I liked your story. :) Well written if a little flowery in places; good grammar; no spelling errors; likeable characters; interesting plot twists, and a villain we all despise but who has a good reason for his villainy.

Please continue the story - I promise to keep reading. :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
MORE!!!!

I loved this I already want the next dose! Lol can tell I'm already going to be an addict to this as well as tsm!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

I did not rate it because it was a really good start on a very nice SyFy story, to bad you didn't finish it.

OmniferisOmniferisalmost 6 years ago
MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please continue this. I think it was just getting interesting.

Timmy4uTimmy4ualmost 6 years ago
More please

I have been reading TSM since chapter 8. Love your stories and I wait on baited breath for the next installment of TSM..... But I have to admit that this plot calls to me, and there have been a few times that I have thought. I can't wait for TSM to be over so I can enjoy this series. I am just ADHD in my reading I truly love TSM and never really want to see it end.... But you know.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Been following TSM for a couple yrs now on SoL and just happened to stumble across this today, a good start, hopefully you'll return to this story once TSM is concluded

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Interesting

I saw this while waiting for the next chapter of TSM and really liked it. It follows Tefler's usual entertaining style. Great character introduction too. I hope more follows later!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Very good first chapter

Great story well written and would be excellent as the start of a historical series.

I would be nit-picking to point out that sailing ships don't have halls, otherwise I can't find fault.

Having put the sci-fi twist in at the end, it would be good to see where that leads. I'm guessing Three Square Meals has taken up your time.

I'm cautious about starting another big sci-fi series (I'm still reading Etaski's Surfacing), but on the strength of 'Setting Sail,' I don't think I can resist giving 'Three Square Meals' a go.

OmniferisOmniferisover 5 years ago
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE RETURN TO THIS STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

"Captain" is only capitalized if used with a name as a title - "Captain Smith", e.g. Otherwise, it's lower case - "the captain". It's the same for "sir".

Women were addressed as "Madam" and not "Miss", no matter their age or marital status.

" "Make yourself at home(period) there's water in the jug," There are a lot of punctuation errors - mixed up commas and periods, no commas before names in dialogue, etc.

"It's my pleasure to cater for such a charming young lady,"

He would likely have said, "'Tis my pleasure..."

I wrote a story that took place in this era. I suggest you do as I did and take the time to look up speech patterns and expressions used in those times. That would make it much more authentic.

Mottniak57Mottniak57almost 5 years ago
Finish it

Please return and do some more on this story !

TSM is a great story but this one would be just as good if not better

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
I see you.

Anonymous 4/18/29 = AwkwardMD.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Another great story Tefler

As much as I'd like to see this story continued...

I'd rather have TSM 122 ;-)

KennighthawkKennighthawkover 4 years ago
Great start.

I wasn't expecting the story to get this interesting as quickly as it did. Looking forward to reading more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago
Silver plated goblets?

Silver plating was invented 40 years after the time this story is set (my guess was at least a hundred years after). Other than that it's a great beginning. I hope the French girl has a part in future episodes.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This has the makings of a nice little story, but it illustrates my problem with many of the stories and authors posting within this category.

So, what IS my problem? Being an older individual, I'll probably not live long enough to ever be able to finish reading most of the stories in SF&F. I suppose the category is best suited for young people with their whole lives still ahead of them.

For example, this story has been waiting five years for a chapter two to be published. According to the author's bio page, this story's NEXT chapter is on hold until another story -- currently at Chapter 136 and SIX years & counting -- is finished.

Hell, considering the length of many of the stories in this category, the authors themselves probably won't live long enough to finish them -- do these stories even have actual endings? Or, are the authors in this category living their stories in real time until their lives and their story, what ... just stop?

Writers here are frequently very good, but I am not happy with investing six years in reading a story that may never have an ending. Doing so may not cost me actual money, but I can't afford the time!

kees10kees10over 2 years ago

Great storie.

It must be a strain to have your mind splitted in multiple parts, while writing more stories, but afte so many years one would expect that a sequal is emminent to appear.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is awesome, read it again and still love it. I know you haven't exactly been idle, as I'm catching up on Three Square (I'm on ch 115), but when that comes to a close, is there any chance you might pick this story up again?

Strand

skippersdadskippersdadover 1 year ago

I like it but to bad there isn't more, hope to see more.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTefler@Tefler
Please see my Patreon page for the current progress on Three Square Meals. (I usually announce it here in the comments on the last chapter too!) https://www.patreon.com/user?u=3814558 I've added empire maps, as well as pics of the ships, guns, gear, and girls! *** ...