Shadow Dagger Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alio nodded. "I trust you, Sanje. I think we all trusted you the day we let some upstart puppy take control over the Magi Victus. We overlooked how you took control and that says much of our loyalty."

"Thank you," he replied softly. "I have always wanted the best for the Magi Victus. When your death comes today, know that the day is soon coming when the Magi Victus will no longer be outcasts. We will be free."

Alio closed his eyes. Even in the dim light, Sanje could see a tear make its way down his dirty face. "Free," he said, his voice hoarse with emotion. "I have never known freedom."

Sanje grabbed his shoulders and looked him in the eye. "Today, brother, you will know freedom. May the God welcome you home and greet you as his son."

Alio grabbed his hand and nodded fiercely. "Sanje," he rasped, "what of my son? Will you watch over him?"

Sanje grabbed his face and kissed his forehead. "Always, brother. The children of the Magi Victus shall always have their honored place. He will take his rightful place, a testament to your sacrifice."

Alio dropped his head, overcome with emotion. Sanje leaned in toward his ear. "This is how you will buy your death today."

Sanje whispered into his ear and Alio nodded his understanding.

***

Raynolt paced his office as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. He tried several times to sit as his desk and conduct the mundane tasks of a Tier Master but couldn't keep his concentration long enough to do those simple tasks.

He blew out a relieved breath when the ward on his door suddenly glowed blue. The moment his hand touched the door handle, the ward faded. He opened the door and stepped back as Sanje slipped inside the room. Raynolt poked his head out and looked down the hallway. He closed the door softly.

"Did anybody see you?" he asked nervously and then cursed himself for showing his nerves.

Sanje raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so nervous?"

"Maybe it's because I hinged all my plans on a Magi Victus! So is your man going to come through on his part?"

Raynolt suppressed a moment of rage at the condensing look Sanje gave him. "Of course," he said coolly.

Raynolt breathed a sigh of relief. He sat down in his chair and tried to collect himself. "And the evidence? Will it arrive on time or did you have any trouble getting past the defenses?"

Sanje lowered his hand to his Shadow Dagger and smirked. "No," was his simple response.

"All is ready then," Raynolt muttered to himself. At that moment, the false bookcase swung open and Morgana stepped inside. She tensed when she saw the Magi Victus but then turned her back on him deliberately and faced Raynolt. He looked over her shoulder and saw Sanje transfer his smirk to her back.

"The council is assembling now. Nearly the entire guild has made their way back into the city and will be there today. This is the moment we have waited for!" she finished, her eyes shining with ambition.

"Good," Raynolt said, getting up from his chair. "Have Captain Aquanas fetch the prisoner."

Morgana nodded and made to leave but Raynolt remembered a part of their plan. "Wait," he said, grabbing her arm. "How did it go last night?"

Morgana smiled sweetly at him. "You will have to wait until the meeting to find out, my love." She left and closed the bookcase behind her.

"She succeeded," Sanje said. "It's all over her face."

"I'm glad, though it wasn't essential to my plan. I think I still have enough votes. But it's good that she succeeded, just in case."

"It's a good plan," Sanje offered.

Raynolt scowled. "It wouldn't have been necessary if it weren't for Jon Laurent. If only you can have put your man on a leash."

Raynolt looked up and saw Sanje's face stiffen. "Jon Laurent is not, nor will ever be, my man," he said, his voice deadly soft. "He calls himself Magi Victus but holds himself apart. He has never been privy to my plans and he never will. The best I could do was mislead him."

Raynolt sighed. "I know. I just wish I could take care of that man, once and for all. He is like a dagger hovering behind my back."

"We'll get him," Sanje said, his voice full of determination.

The bookcase swung open again and Lenard walked in. "It's time."

Raynolt fear a shiver of fear pass through him. He took a breath and forced himself to be calm. It's going to work!

He stood up and felt a sudden gust of air. The door to his office stood open and Sanje was gone. He shook his head.

"I hate having to work with someone who can just appear and disappear like that," Lenard said. He joined Raynolt as he left the office.

"It's only a matter of time before we severe our relationship with him," Raynolt said absently. His mind was focused on the upcoming events. Today would either make or break him.

Lenard must have sensed his worry. "It's a good plan. I don't know what Sanje is planning, but for now, his plan will work for us."

Why is everyone seeking to reassure me? Do I look that weak? "I know it will work," he replied scathingly. "I am preparing for the worst. That way, there will be no surprises."

They walked in silence toward the Hall of Mages. Raynolt analyzed every possible outcome to his plan and formulated his responses. He prayed to the God that he wouldn't need them.

He heard the crowd long before they walked into the Hall. He turned to Lenard. "It really does seem that most of the guild has made it back to the city."

Lenard nodded. "There has been too much death this past month. Everyone knows something unexpected is coming. Now they are just in time to witness the election of a new Grand Master."

Raynolt smiled. "Go and ready the evidence." Lenard nodded, and turned back down the hallway.

With that, Raynolt walked into the roar of the Hall. Magi were crammed onto the stone benches. News was exchanged with the newly arrived guild members. Most of the Magi didn't even notice Raynolt's entrance.

Raynolt quickly scanned the council row and sighed in relief when he spotted all the members. He quirked an eyebrow in surprise at the Magi sitting in Daminus' seat. He turned to whisper into Lenard's ear. "Why is Sura Montero sitting in Daminus' seat?"

Lenard glanced over at the short, heavy woman and shrugged. Raynolt didn't have a good feeling about this. He did not know Sura that well. He had no clue what her political leanings were.

Raynolt climbed the short steps to the podium. He stood behind it and waited for the crowd to notice his presence. Slowly the crowd quieted and took their seats.

"It warms my heart to see the entire guild once again," Raynolt began. "As the acting representative for the guild, I welcome you back. I am sure you have been filled in by your brethren to our current situation. So let's get straight to business shall we?"

The crowd murmured it's welcome to the new arrivals and then fell silent. Raynolt continued. "First, I understand the 5th Tier has chosen its new Master?"

"Yes, we have." Raynolt smiled as Morgana stood up from her seat and made her way down to the main floor and stood in front of Raynolt. "I have been chosen to represent the interests of the 5th Tier."

The crowd applauded. Raynolt smirked to see the color rise in Morgana's cheeks. You were only raised with my help, Morgana. Always remember that. Out loud he said, "I applaud the 5th Tier members for their outstanding choice. Does the council concur with the decision?"

The council members quickly concurred with a unanimous 'aye.' Everyone, that is, expect Halas. Raynolt glared at him. Halas met his stare and snorted contemptuously. "Aye," he finally said, thought it was evident he didn't care at all for the 5th Tier's choice.

Let's see who is laughing tonight, Halas. The crowd applauded the council's decision. Morgana hung her head to hide her glow of pleasure. Raynolt waited for the crowd to quiet before continuing. "Morgana Rosewood, on behalf of the Council of Magi, and on behalf of the position of Grand Master, I welcome you to the council. Please, take your seat."

Morgana quickly walked to the empty seat on the council row and sat down. The crowd cheered her again. Her pale cheeks were bright red.

Raynolt held his hands up for silence. He turned his gaze on Sura Montero. "Before I continue, I would like to know why the 9th Tier chair is filled when Daminus Ventus is missing."

A murmur of confusion ran through the crowd. Sura stood up and nervously smoothed her dark red robes. She was not a pretty woman. Her black hair stood out from her head as though she had just been hit by a lightning bolt. She was short and very plump. And extra chin hung down from her face and her eyes were buried by surrounding flesh.

"Forgive my impertinence, Raynolt, but the members felt that the 9th Tier needed a voice today if we are to elect a new Grand Master."

"I understand your concern, Sura. But it is the council's decision to allow a temporary replacement."

"I allowed it," Halas cut it. He smirked up at Raynolt. "Since you are the acting Grand Master, the leadership of the council fell onto my shoulders."

Raynolt clinched the side of the podium to keep from jumping down and beating the man to an inch of his life. He had no doubt now which way Sura's political views swung. "You are correct," he said through gritted teeth.

I need to relax. If my plan works, I will have all the votes I need.

Sura sighed in relief and sat down. Raynolt looked away from Halas' gloating face and collected himself. Now it's time. He focused his attention on Captain Aquanas, who stood at attention next to the door. "Captain, please escort the prisoner in."

The crowd fell eerily silent. Raynolt had no doubt that they struggled to control their anger. The sound of chains clicking on the floor preceded the imprisoned Magi Victus into the room.

Several Magi gasped as the naked man was pushed to the floor in front of Raynolt. He struggled to his knees and lifted his head. He stared straight at Raynolt. He nodded his head a nearly imperceptible amount and looked back down.

Raynolt let out a breath he did not realize he was holding. "The council has all had a chance to talk to the prisoner. How do you judge his guilt?"

"Guilty," they all intoned at once. It was a rhetorical question, really. Any Magi Victus captured alive was always put to the death immediately. But the Magi didn't want to appear to be uncivilized.

"Magi Victus," Raynolt continued, "you are found guilty of murder by the council of the Guild of Magi. The punishment for the unjust slaying of a member of this guild is carried out as we see fit. For your crimes, the council has decided that you shall be drawn and quartered. The limbs on your body will be torn off with excruciating pain, so that you will feel the pain that we have endured. Have you anything to say?"

Raynolt held his breath. His moment of victory hung in the balance. The time had finally arrived. The crowd remained dead silent; they waited for the prisoner's response with bated breath.

The prisoner coughed and spit blood to the floor. "Yes," he rasped. "I have information I would like to share in exchange for a quick and merciful death."

The crowd exploded in angry shouts. Even the council was yelling incomprehensible profanities. Raynolt raised his hands for silence, his heart thumping away in his chest. Your man better come through, Sanje. Or so help me...

The crowd gradually subsided. Most were casting disgusted stares at the prisoner. The man endured their taunts with his head held high. "We are not starting a war. Why would we wipe out our source of income?"

The crowd muttered angrily. The council exchanged confused looks. "What are you trying to say?" Raynolt asked.

The man waited several moments to make sure everyone was hanging on his words. "We were hired by a Magi to assassinate the Grand Master."

Raynolt felt his pulse quicken with excitement as the room almost exploded in shouting. The council was on their feet now. The air almost tasted of power. The guards around the room shifted nervously and clenched their weapons in their fists.

The prisoner had his head hung, his dirty hair hiding his face. But Raynolt could see that he was smiling. The crowd took a lot longer to quiet down this time. "My brothers and sisters, please try to maintain your anger. We will hear what this man has to say."

"So he can poison us with his lies?" somebody shouted. Murmurs of agreement swept the room.

"Lies?" the prisoner said quietly. The room hushed to hear him. "We Magi Victus pride ourselves on living truthfully. Do you think I would make this accusation without proof?"

The crowd was silent. Raynolt scanned the room and saw Magi shifting uncomfortably. It was a well known fact that Magi have hired the Magi Victus over the years. But no one had ever dared to aim so high as to assassinate the Grand Master.

Raynolt took a deep breath to ask his next question. "Who do you accuse of hiring you?"

The room was so silent that Raynolt could hear the excited breathing of the crowd. The prisoner struggled to his feet, unmindful of his nudity. He straightened his back with pride and looked Raynolt straight in the eye.

"Halas Winstrum," he said clearly, his voice echoing off the stone walls.

Nobody said a word or moved a muscle. An eerie state of shock overtook the crowd. Raynolt quickly scanned the front row and almost laughed at the look of shock on Halas' face. His face reddened slowly and he jumped to his feet.

"LIAR!" he roared.

The crowd descended into madness as shouting and even magic rang through the room. Someone even had the audacity to fling a fireball straight at the prisoner. Raynolt acted quickly; he jumped from the podium and wove a shield around the prisoner. The fireball dissolved before it hit him.

The act of aggression shocked the crowd. Everyone stopped and looked around the room. Raynolt was almost beside himself with anger. "The next person who tries something like that will be charged with conspiracy! Do you understand me?"

His breath left his body in angry spurts. He held his hands out, his eyes bleeding with power. People quickly sat down. Only Halas remained standing, his face still flush with anger.

Raynolt released his magic and walked back to the podium. He turned his gaze to Halas. "Do you have anything to say in your defense?"

"Yes!" he quickly shouted. "I have never hired the Magi Victus in my life! Where is his proof? I will tell you where it is! It doesn't exist because I am innocent!"

Raynolt turned back to the prisoner. "Well? Do you have any evidence?"

The prisoner smiled. "Oh yes." He turned around and looked at Halas. "You were careless."

Halas puffed up in anger but Raynolt spoke before he could. "What do you mean? Tell us of your arrangement."

The prisoner turned back around. "We were hired to kill the Grand Master. Actually, we were hired to kill three people. Sorry to say, but you were on the list. So was Daminus Ventus."

Sura, sitting next to Halas, gasped and covered her mouth. Halas looked too angry to even speak. His face had turned an ugly prune color. "What were his motives?" Raynolt asked, playing along with the charade. Inside, he was dancing and yelling with joy.

The prisoner cocked his head. "I thought that would be obvious. He wished to remove the people in front of him for the Grand Master position."

A shocked gasp ran through the crowd. Some Magi even nodded their heads, as though it all made sense. Halas slammed his fists on the stone in front of him. "All I am hearing are lies! Where is his proof? Where?"

The prisoner continued as though Halas had not said anything. "You were never summoned to meet with the Grand Master that night," he said, addressing Raynolt. "That was a false summons from Halas. We were supposed to eliminate the Grand Master and then ambush you before you knew what was going on. However, both you and the Grand Master proved to be more dangerous than we anticipated."

Raynolt almost smiled in pleasure. The man was good, very good. Not only had he superbly placed the blame on Halas, but he reinforced Raynolt's position with the compliment. Now it was time to end this. "What happened next?"

"Don't tell me you are listening to this-" Halas cut in.

"You will wait your turn!" Raynolt snapped back. He pointed to the prisoner. "Continue!"

"When I was captured, and having failed to carry out the other two assassinations, Halas refused to pay for the contract on the Grand Master. He argued that we had failed. However, we do not include multiple targets on one contract. There were three separate contracts. We fulfilled one of those."

"How did the Magi Victus respond to his refusal to pay?"

"We refused to carry out the other two contracts until we were paid."

"How does he even know all this? He was captured!" Halas screamed.

"Because you told me, when you came to 'interrogate' me," the prisoner replied. "They refused to carry out the contract so you offered to free me if I would."

Halas snorted furiously. "And you didn't take him up on his offer?" Raynolt asked.

"We have our pride," he whispered.

"ENOUGH! I have had enough with his lies! Where is the proof?" Halas' eyes glowed silver.

Raynolt opened himself to the magic. Power surged through his being. The guards took a step forward. Raynolt held his hand up to stop them. Halas wasn't stupid enough to attack...yet.

He looked down at the prisoner. "Halas is right. Where is the proof?"

"Like I said, he was careless. He became desperate; he knew you or Daminus would get the Grand Master position. So he took matters into his own hands. He killed Daminus Ventus."

Sura looked over at Halas in shock. Tears leaked from her eyes. Raynolt felt his moment coming. Halas had to know that the trap was falling in around him. He looked around helplessly. People were already beginning to look at him angrily.

"How do you know this?" Raynolt asked.

"Because his body has just been delivered to us," a voice boomed. Everyone in the Hall turned to look at the entrance. Lenard strode into the Hall. A guard was dragging a small, two-wheeled cart behind him. There was a large bundle wrapped in cloth inside the cart.

Raynolt heard a thump and looked around. Sura had fainted at her seat. Everyone was silent. Raynolt strode down to the cart and quickly whipped back the cloth. The stench of death quickly filled the Hall.

People began to scream and cry out. Daminus' body was a smoking ruin. Half his face was blackened with fire. Blood soaked the pale cloth that wrapped his body. To Raynolt's eyes, and any other Magi looking, magical runes were still etched into the ruined face.

"Murdered by magecraft...Who delivered this?" Raynolt asked Lenard.

"The guards at the gate summoned the nearest Magi. I was the one who received the summons. There was a note attached to the body. It came from the Magi Victus." He handed the note to Raynolt.

Raynolt read the note aloud. "Here is the evidence of the treachery of Magi. Let this body cause chaos and havoc among you. Let this body bear example to the insult dealt to us. Your prisoner has already received word of this. He will tell you everything you need to know. Don't dishonor us again, Magi."

Raynolt turned and looked at Halas. He knew he was trapped. His eyes glowed stronger and he quickly moved his hands. Raynolt reacted with a counter-spell. He didn't need to bother; Spells of Binding flew at Halas from all over the room. To any Magi's eyes, his body was layered in runes of binding.

Lenard spoke into the stillness of the room. "Several guards reported last night of seeing fire light the night sky. I already sent guards to the location. It was a wooded area. A homeless beggar in the area describes Halas down to the mole on his neck. Also, the guards at the gate remember Halas walking in through the rain."