Shadow Dagger Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What he doesn't mention is that all those "witnesses" have different allegiances than what people think. Raynolt suppressed an urge to laugh uncontrollably.

He strode to the center of the room and faced the council. "What say you?" It was sudden, but the shock of Daminus' body was too much pressure to pass up. He had them.

The council cast scared looks at each other. "Guilty," Sura said, staring hate-filled eyes at Halas' bound body.

The rest of the council followed quickly. "Guilty."

It was music to Raynolt's ears. "Guards! Remove Halas to the dungeons." He signaled two of his 10th Tier Magi. "Maintain the binding spells." They nodded and walked out with the guards.

Everything was happening so fast that everyone was frozen in place. Now was the time to drive the dagger home. "Everyone but the 8th Tier sit down please."

They were several minutes of shuffling as everyone sought to find a seat and a grip on what was happening. The 8th Tier remained standing, casting nervous glances at each other.

Raynolt addressed them. "I'm sorry for the haste, but you must elect a new Master. Now."

"N...now?" one Magi asked, swallowing as he said it.

Raynolt nodded. "I'm sure the council agrees with me. We need to elect a new Grand Master now before any other...madness happens."

The council nodded, looking up at the 8th Tier members. Lenard covered Daminus' body and told the guards to take it away. He then stepped forward into the room. "I submit my name for consideration."

His fellow 8th Tier members blinked. Come on! Raynolt knew he had them. His dream was within reach. He quickly counted the standing members; there were 28 members of the 8th Tier currently in the room.

No one else stepped forward. Raynolt waited several moments before asking, "Is there anyone else?"

Once again, no one stepped forward. One woman bit her lip and opened her mouth, but then thought better of it. "I vote for Lenard," she said instead.

That was all it took. The rest of the members looked relieved that someone else had made the decision. They all quickly added their votes.

"Lenard Demps, on behalf of the Council of Magi, and on behalf of the position of Grand Master, I welcome you to the council."

Lenard nodded his thanks. Everything was happening perfectly. Raynolt could barely believe it. No plan goes off this perfect!

"Now, it's time to hear candidates for the position of Grand Master." Raynolt had never felt more nervous in his life. Who was his competition? The rest of the council was not even powerful enough for the position. Nobody in his Tier would dare go against him.

"There is no need," Morgana said, standing up. "Anyone that can defeat and capture a Magi Victus, and who has always spoken out in favor of war with them, has my vote. I vote for Raynolt Teryus."

"As do I," Lenard added.

Sura stood up. Raynolt almost groaned. Is she going to put her name in? She gave Raynolt a hard look. "I can't wait to see that bastard Halas burn. I vote for Raynolt Teryus."

Raynolt almost ogled her. Where did that come from? She must really feel betrayed by Halas. With three votes already cast, and no one more powerful than him, the rest of the council stood up.

"I vote for Raynolt Teryus."

Raynolt nearly wept.

***

The let him see the sunset. It was kind of them. They even clothed him, not that it mattered much to him.

Alio knelt in the garden square of the Emporium. The sun was sinking below the horizon, casting everything in a pale orange light. The grass and leaves were still sparkling from the previous night's showers.

It was a good day to die.

The captain of the Emporium guards stood behind him. The council of Magi stood arrayed in front of him. The new Grand Master Raynolt Teryus stepped forward. "Have you any last words?"

He saw the council shift their stances. He almost smiled. No, I don't have any more earth-shattering secrets to harm you with. Too bad.

"Well?" Raynolt asked, looking annoyed.

For some reason, something made Alio look up into the leaves of the tall oak in front of him. He saw Sanje squatting on a branch. He was weeping.

Tears filled his eyes as he looked back at Raynolt.

"I am free," he whispered.

He hung his head and felt the hot tears slide down his cheeks. His only wish was that his son was with him, here at the end.

He heard movement behind him. The captain had drawn his sword. The wind stirred the leaves on the ground and caressed his face. He was going home.

He never felt the blow that severed his head from his shoulders.

***

Raynolt and his entourage hurried down the hallway. This would have to be done quickly. No doubt he would have to be taken by surprise.

"Now," he whispered to Lenard as they rounded a corner. The man leading him turned around and frowned. He was non-Magi and wouldn't know anything was amiss. Lenard spoke quietly and weaved his fingers through the air. His 8th Tier protection spell settled over Raynolt.

Raynolt finished his protection spell as they arrived at a small set of double-doors. The spell settled over Lenard's. The man stopped by the door and turned around. "Wait here," he said brusquely. He opened the door and shut it behind him.

"Tell the men to be ready for my signal," Raynolt whispered. He heard Lenard give the order to the select Magi he had brought along.

I can't kill him yet, but I will make sure he doesn't disrupt my plans. Even with the added protection from Lenard, he felt scared. And excited. It was an odd mix.

The door opened and the man stuck his head out. "He will see you now, Grand Master."

Raynolt smiled at hearing his title. It wasn't completely official yet; he still had the swearing-in ceremony to go through. But legally, he was the Grand Master of the Emporium.

He nodded to Lenard and walked through the door. It was shut behind him. Raynolt quickly opened himself to the magic as soon as he walked in and began weaving his fingers.

His hands froze half-way through. His eyes bulged out of his head as his mouth clamped shut. This is impossible! I am protected by 8th Tier and 10th Tier protection spells!

He stared in fear at the dark man seated at a small table. He was apparently buttering his toast. He looked up. His eyes shone silver.

"Grand Master for 5 minutes and already trying your luck, eh Raynolt?"

King Reynar chuckled. He waved his hand and Raynolt was released. He finished buttering his toast and held it out toward him. "Would you like some toast?"

***

Note: Once again, I would like to thank everyone who has read these stories and have commented. First I want to apologize for the delay of this chapter. Evidently the reviewer had an issue with my italizing. Then you have to wait another 3 days to post it again. So stupid...anyways, I just want to inform the few people who eagerly await each chapter that they I may take an extended break to finish the story. That way the chapters will be released quickly. Each chapter has had declining views and its a little disheartening. I feel like not many people are reading this and that makes it hard to write. So please leave comments to let me know you love this story!