Soon Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I hope your mama doesn't see us," he said. "Does she have a window in her office?"

Poppy shook her head. He crouched in front of the child and told her his plans. If she didn't like them, he would have to call Bill and ask for ideas. They plotted together the way crooks would before breaking the law. The major difference was that he and Poppy were working to make her mother's birthday special. She listened intently as he talked about painting wooden hearts in her mother's favorite colors.

"Can we start today?"

"I have to find a way to get everything back here without your mom seeing anything. Tomorrow, OK," he said.

Geoff scoured the piles of old lumber in the barn for scraps he could use for her project. He drew a heart on a paper then went to work cutting them out. He had decided to do much of the initial work himself and let her complete things on her own. It didn't take long before he had several pieces cut and partially sanded. The rest Poppy could do as she sat next to the fence the way she always did. If she saw her mother, she could drop them onto Geoff's side so it looked as if they were talking the same as usual.

He hadn't shared his thoughts on cutting the grass and weeds in Robin's yard. That would take more planning. He didn't want her to see what they were doing but since she worked from home, he wasn't sure how to do it. Then Poppy told him her mother left to do some grocery shopping.

"She didn't make you go along?" he asked, surprised her mother would leave her home alone.

"I'm supposed to stay in my room. She takes forever and I didn't want to stay inside."

"Pick up all the toys in the grass. I'll be right back."

Geoff knew that was their chance to work on the first part of the birthday surprise. He smiled and went back to his side of the fence. Poppy had a huge stack of toys on the back patio when Geoff returned. She stared at the weird-looking thing he pushed her direction.

"We need to pull our facemasks up since we'll be standing close."

"What's that?" she asked while doing as he said.

"This is an old lawn mower I found. It works without a motor so it's safer for you to use."

"Me? I don't know how to make it work."

"Come with me. Stand here, hold onto this bar, and take a big step. See how those parts turn when you push it?"

Poppy nodded. It was heavy and she didn't think she could do it by herself. She tipped her head back and looked at Geoff.

"It's too heavy."

"Yeah, it is, but look. I'll put my hands next to yours and walk behind you. Together we'll be able to cut the grass."

They moved slowly until Poppy saw where the mower had cut the weeds and grass to a perfect length. Eager to finish before her mother made it home, she walked faster, laughing when the breeze blew the cuttings into the air. They stopped when they reached the fence at the back of Robin's property.

"What do you think of that, Poppy? Doesn't it look better? I bet your mom will be shocked to see what you did."

The girl jumped up and down. "I love it!"

Geoff checked his watch to see how much time they took to complete their task. He shoved the old mower through the break in the fence before facing Poppy.

"Don't tell her what we did. Just let her see it when she comes outside next time. That's the best way to make it a surprise, OK? Now, I have to put this thing back into the barn. And I should be at least pretending to do some work over here so she won't suspect I helped you."

Poppy ran toward him and wrapped her arms around him. He felt the tears through the thin material of his T-shirt.

"Hey, don't cry. Go inside and wash up then go to your room. Your mom will expect to find you there. Read or play with some of your toys," he said. "After your mom is home ask if you can come outside. You can pretend, right? Tell her you were bored in your room and want to play a while."

Poppy's eye were bright as she nodded. Geoff knew what the child's smile looked like from times he saw her without her mask. He gave her a high five and watched her run into the house before he disappeared through the fence.

The store was extra busy. Robin had to wait her turn in the parking lot because of the law limiting the number of customers inside at the same time. She was tired and just wanted to get home but they really needed groceries so she swallowed her impatience. Her list was longer than usual. However, as she had experienced on previous shopping trips, the stores weren't the same as they used to be. Delivery shortages--and hoarding by fearful customers--meant adapting her list by what she could find.

A trip she anticipated taking a little over an hour took closer to three. That didn't include hauling all the bags inside once she made it home or putting everything away. A headache made her wish she had time for a nap but there was laundry to do and she really had to find a way to cut the grass. Some places the weeds were so tall she barely saw Poppy when she was sitting down.

"Poppy? I'm home," she yelled as she passed the stairway with the last of the groceries. "Come on down so we can eat. I bought hamburgers and fries on the way home."

It didn't take the child long to join her mother in the kitchen. Robin put the food on a paper plate and slid it across the table.

"Go ahead and eat, honey. I need to get some of the groceries into the refrigerator while they're still cold. You've been so good lately that I figured you deserved a treat. I'm sorry I haven't had more time with you."

"It's OK, mama. I can kick the soccer ball and talk to Mr. Geoff when he's working in the new garden. He told me chocolate chip cookies were his favoritest ones too and he gave me a bottle of water. He's really nice and never yells at me."

Her thoughts drifted to the property next door--and the tall stranger working there. Robin knew she would need to make time to approach the man who had been entertaining her daughter lately. He deserved to hear how much she appreciated his patience with her.

"Can I go outside? I'm done eating."

Her daughter's request interrupted her thoughts. She nodded and reached for her own dinner. Their life wasn't bad. They just needed to make it through the pandemic so their world could go back to normal.

Poppy ran through the yard with her arms out. She couldn't wait for her mother to see it. The man on the other side of the fence wasn't there so she wandered around until she heard the back door open. Robin noticed the neatly cut grass right away. She knew she hadn't hired anyone to do it for her. Poppy was much too young to figure out the mower stored in the tool shed.

"Surprise," her daughter yelled as she ran toward the house. "You like it, mama?"

"It looks great, honey. How did you..."

"Mr. Geoff helped. We pushed an old kind of mower that didn't even have a motor on it and the grass and weeds went through the cutter thing and got chopped up."

The tired mother didn't know what to say. Of all the things her daughter did around the house, like sweep the floor or set the table, she hadn't ever expected her to find a way to mow the yard.

"Don't cry, mama," Poppy said when she saw her mother's tears.

Robin brushed her arm across her eyes. Wearing a mask had both good and bad points to it, she realized. They hid smiles but also covered the defeat she often felt. She had to find a way to balance her world better than she had been. Poppy was alone too much. Her work caused too much stress. Nothing fit as it had before the virus tipped everything upside down.

Geoff shoved the spade into the freshly turned dirt on the other side of the old walnut tree while deep in thought. He hoped Poppy didn't get into trouble for her part in the surprise. He knew the old push mower hadn't done the best job. Yet it made the girl happy and that was the important part.

"Excuse me. Geoff, right?"

Robin stood on her tiptoes and looked over the fence. The tall stranger turned her direction and nodded.

"Poppy told me what you did, to help her. She's been struggling--like we all have--with the restrictions from the virus. I try. I've had to learn how to be a teacher so she doesn't fall behind in school when it opens again. She's smart, though, and doesn't take long to do her homework. If I didn't have to spend so many hours each day at my job--"

"Hey, she's a great kid. I enjoy spending time with her, even if it is through the fence and while wearing masks," he said.

"But you don't have to and you still do. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it all."

"As long as the pandemic is here, I'm pretty much limited to what I can do on the house. The mantel and staircase needs restoration and then there's the yard of course. With the stores closed, I can't buy the plants I need so I have plenty time. Besides, Poppy is a joy to be around," Geoff said.

"You wouldn't think so when she's stomping her foot and trying to get her way."

Robin laughed. She realized she hadn't talked to another adult in months except relating to work. Even with half his face covered, she could tell he smiled by the look in his eyes. They made her wonder what it would be like to sit down with him and have a grown-up conversation. That thought stunned her. She hadn't dated since her divorce. Her marriage hadn't gone the way she imagined it would. Her husband spent more time with his friends than he did at home with her. When they had Poppy, he found excuses for not helping with her care. Long before the ink dried on the divorce papers, he had moved out. Poppy wasn't quite three years old at the time and rarely asked about her father anymore.

"From what I remember when I was her age, I did the same thing. Then again, what do I know? I don't have kids of my own so I'm not even close to calling myself an expert on the topic."

Robin tucked the information into the back of her mind where she could take it out again when she was alone.

"Don't worry about her, OK? She stays in your yard even when we're sharing cookies--which were delicious, by the way," Geoff said. "Eventually I'll be replacing the fence. That is, once the lumberyard is open again and I can get the supplies I need. Until then, most of what's left for me to do is inside."

Robin wanted to ask him what he did when he wasn't a handyman and gardener. She wondered if he had someone special in his life. As that thought went through her head, she was thankful for the facemask that hid the blush she was sure covered her cheeks.

"I think it's time to get inside," Robin replied. "Don't hesitate to send her away if she bothers you."

The young girl took her mother's hand as they walked away. Geoff remained by the fence even after the door closed behind them. That evening he wandered around the property, deep in thought, trying not to picture the redhead in his bed.

A heavy fog covered the land the next morning. Geoff sipped his coffee as he scanned the list of unfinished projects. The growl in his stomach reminded him he needed to order groceries first. He was thankful the local store offered delivery service and wondered why Robin didn't use it too. Maybe he would casually mention it sometime, he decided.

Another two days passed before the weather was sunny again. Geoff counted back and realized if Poppy was going to paint the hearts he cut, she had to do it soon. He didn't have anything that needed his attention in the garden area but that was where he most often saw the child.

"Mr. Geoff, can we do mama's birthday present today?"

"Did you get your homework done?"

"It was easy today. All I didn't do was my reading and mama let's me do that at bedtime."

"Give me a few minutes to get everything. I put it in a container we can close and hide on my side of the fence if your mom comes outside," he said.

Poppy ran around the still damp grass. It was more fun with it cut short, she thought, and wondered if they could do it again once it grew longer.

"OK, I have different colors of paint, several brushes, and all the hearts I cut out. Cover your clothes with that old shirt in case you spill."

Even wearing the mandatory facemask, Geoff could tell the young girl had a smile on her face. He opened the small containers of paints and set them on a board he brought just for that purpose. Before she started, she took out a small piece of paper from her pocket.

"I practiced writing Happy Birthday so I didn't goof up."

"That was a smart thing to do, Poppy. Just take your time. I'll be right over here if you need help."

Geoff wanted the gift to be from the little girl and not a joint effort. He didn't count cutting the wood into hearts because she wasn't able to do that part.

"Mr. Geoff? Did you give your mama a present for her birthday this year?"

"No, I didn't," he replied, knowing his vague answer wouldn't satisfy her. "It's not safe to travel right now, because of the virus, and my parents don't live around here."

"My grandma lives far away. We can't go see her either."

"It will get better and we'll be able to do all the things we used to again," Geoff replied.

Poppy went back to painting hearts while Geoff worked at trimming an old hedge several yards away. He was close enough to watch her but not to interfere. Before long, she had all the hearts done, laying each one on the clean tarp in the wheel barrel. She used the bucket of soapy water Geoff brought out so she could wash her hands. When her mother appeared at the back door, Poppy was running around kicking the soccer ball. They went inside together while Geoff kept working.

The little girl had a hard time keeping her secret for her mother's birthday. Geoff could see how excited she was about the gift she made. Robin stopped working earlier than usual as she had promised Poppy. They planned to order a pizza for dinner before watching movies with a bowl of popcorn. The tired mother wouldn't celebrate it at all but she knew how important it was to her daughter.

"I made you a present. Mr. Geoff helped me," Poppy said, running into her room to grab the box she used for her gift. "And mowing the grass was part of it too."

Robin couldn't hide the tears after opening the package. The bright colors of the hearts instantly relieved her stress as she realized once again what an amazing daughter she had.

"I didn't cut them. Mr. Geoff did. He said the saws were too dangerous. But I painted them all by myself."

"They're beautiful, honey."

Robin knew she had to find a way to thank the man who continued spending time with Poppy. Something would come to mind, she decided as she enjoyed her evening with her daughter.

Geoff hadn't been outside for several days. Bill had called to ask if he could salvage an old hutch left in the basement when they bought the house. With a promise to do his best, he hauled it up the stairs, taking it apart as much as he could to lighten the load. It would require quite a bit of work, he decided, but the few places where the original wood showed through made him eager to begin. The house had a long way to go before the Vinrey's could move in.

Robin found ways to spend more time with her daughter while still completing her job. They made a schedule marking evenings for baking, breaks for having their lunch on the patio, and other fun activities. Poppy did her homework then kept busy with her crafts or playing outside. Her only complaint was that she hadn't seen Geoff in over a week.

Inside the majestic house, Geoff tugged on the old vinyl flooring in the kitchen, swearing when it broke off into small pieces. The quarantine that kept contractors and their crews from working was still in place. Bill long ago gave him permission to do any of the demolition he wanted to without doing anything dangerous. He found more projects as the days slid by. Broken kitchen cabinets ended up in pieces on the brush pile. Mismatched moldings and baseboards added over the years join them. Crumbling ceilings fell to the floor.

Each day he walked into the house with a renewed energy that had been missing since he had to close his office. Every evening he browsed local real estate listings for a project of his own. He had a healthy savings account. Buying a house would be a way to plant roots after all his years traveling with the military and living in apartments since then.

Of course, even when he saw something interesting, Realtors had some of the same restrictions as other businesses due to the pandemic. He asked endless questions about anywhere that looked promising. Online searches provided a wealth of information including previous ownership, land usage laws, and more. Bill and Penny had looked at several properties before choosing the one they did. The men discussed some they had toured that hadn't been worth the prices asked. They caught up on the progress Geoff made and agreed on what supplies he should order as soon as the lumberyard opened again. At the end of their call, Geoff decided to hold off on his search for a place of his own and use his time to continue the work on the Vinrey's home.

He was tired of staying inside. Geoff wandered around the house and barn before checking the old fence. High winds had accompanied many of the recent storms. He spotted several boards ripped loose and broken. Pieces scattered over the ground on both properties. It didn't take him long to clear up the mess and head back inside. Bill had already planned to remove the fence entirely.

Poppy and her mom sat outside eating their dinner. They watched as Geoff ripped away sections of the fence and tossed them to the side. He stopped a few times to wipe the sweat from his face and drink some water.

"I want you to promise me you won't cross over into the next yard. Pretend the fence is still there and stay on our side." Robin waited for her daughter to reply. "Poppy, did you hear what I said?"

"I miss talking to Mr. Geoff. If there isn't a fence, and he can't plant the garden, I won't see him like I did before."

"Honey, you know he's there to work. The fence was old and dangerous. What if a piece fell on you?"

Robin turned back to watch the man next door. He kept going until all the fencing separating the Vinrey's yard from Robin's was gone.

"Mr. Geoff, I can see all the way to the house now!"

"Pretty cool, isn't it? Just make sure you never come over to this side alone," Geoff replied.

"What if the soccer ball goes over there?"

"Then you wait for me or your mother."

"But you don't come here all the time," Poppy said.

"I'm sure if you took some time to think about it you could find things to do to stay busy. You're smart."

Robin noticed the way Geoff looked straight at Poppy when he talked to her. He might not be a father, as he mentioned before, but he had good instincts. She pulled her attention back to her daughter.

"It will be fine, honey. Now, let's head inside and let Geoff finish his work here."

The child waved and ran to the house. Robin shook her head and followed. She put away all her thoughts of the handsome man until later when she was alone.

Geoff walked through the house and snapped a video to share with Bill and Penny. He tried to keep them informed of the progress he made. However, the reply he expected didn't arrive. Hours later, with the house locked up, he went to his trailer for the night. It bothered him that he hadn't heard from Bill. That night he didn't sleep well. Something had to be wrong for the couple to ignore him. He felt an uneasiness that didn't go away... especially after he saw a short text from Penny.

Bill had cancer. They hadn't said anything earlier because they prayed the doctors would be able to help him. Recent tests showed it spread throughout his body. The man Geoff respected and admired for his accomplishments in the Army had only months to live. He read the message several times but it never changed. He felt sick. Death had been a part of his career he accepted even though he hated it. Facing it at home wasn't the same.