Soon Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Finding the words to reply took longer than they should have, Geoff realized. He just couldn't think of anything that wouldn't sound cliché. How did you tell someone you were sorry when all you wanted to do was go back to a day when everything was all right? What message would relay the full extent of his sadness? The longer he sat there, the more he hurt for the couple. Wiping the tears from his face, he cleared his throat, and then called Bill.

Geoff tried to express his feelings in a way that made sense without sounding like a blubbering idiot. Bill obviously understood and switched the conversation to their military careers. He had loved his job just as Geoff had. The men believed in protecting their Country above all else. No one had a guarantee of a long life. They understood that and thanked God for each day they had. Ultimately, the subject went back to Bill's news.

"Geoff, this isn't how I planned retirement. God knows it's nothing I ever expected to hear. Leaving Penny... I can't bear to think... we had so much we wanted to do." Bill struggled to keep talking. The pain inside him had nothing to do with the cancer eating away at him. "I don't know how to do this, Geoff. I see her crying and it's my fault--"

"No, Bill, it isn't. If I were in her shoes, I would feel helpless because I couldn't do anything for the one person I loved more than anyone else in the world. But no amount of prayers can change the path God set for us."

"Why now? When we're together again after all those years I was gone? I shouldn't have stayed in the Army. I should have left--"

"Do you think Penny would have wanted you to quit something she knew was your life dream?"

"She's always been there for me, even when I couldn't talk about whatever it was that tore me into knots. She's the strong one in our marriage, Geoff. I can't imagine dealing with this without her at my side."

"Let her see you're afraid, Bill. Don't hide it. And make every day count. Yeah, that was cliché and I swore not to say anything corny like that. I'm serious though. Do all the things you can, even if it's just sitting in front of a fire and holding hands all night. Get in every second of life you have, and make sure she knows she was the reason you made it back from each deployment."

"What am I supposed to do about the house? It was all she talked about when I decided to retire. I can't get it done before I... before I'm gone. Besides, how will she be able to handle all the upkeep on her own? There's fifty acres. It's not fair to give her the house she wants and then expect her to use every waking hour to maintain it," Bill said. "I can't, Geoff. This was our dream and I'm ripping it away from her as if--"

"Stop it. This isn't something you're doing. You didn't make yourself have cancer. Yeah, I'm sounding like I know it all but damn it, you have Penny, and you can't let the house be what you focus on. Go to her. Hold her tight. Then tell her I'm here for anything you guys need."

They ended the call with the promise to be in touch soon. Geoff didn't move from his chair for hours. The mangled bodies, the deaths, and all the destruction in his past... nothing hurt as much as hearing Bill talk about dying. It made him appreciate his own life even as it reminded him how alone he was.

He found it impossible to accomplish anything in the house. Each room he stepped into he saw Bill and Penny describing what they wanted. Anyone looking at the couple could see how much they loved each other. He wanted to break something. He wanted to use every bit of his strength to knock down walls or smash through stacks of lumber and flooring.

The few times he tried to work, he made so many mistakes he threw his hammer across the room, breaking one of the old windowpanes. His frustration had nothing to do with the house. Death had been a part of his career but Bill was different. He wasn't a stranger, or a casualty of war he had no control over. He wasn't a terrorist. He didn't go into a crowd and detonate a suicide vest. That's what angered him the most. Geoff heard about the man's successes long before they met. He was one of the best at what he did.

Geoff swore and kicked the wall. He didn't know where all his bravado and uplifting speech came from. All he wanted to do was erase Bill's words from his head forever. Yet even after drinking a six-pack of his favorite beer, the message wouldn't leave. For the first time in forever, Geoff cried. He cried for all the man would lose, for the years his wife would spend without him, and for the injustices of the world.

It was late and he knew he should sleep. Every time he closed his eyes, he was back in one of the countries where bombs demolished entire neighborhoods and where the screaming never stopped. Death was everywhere. It took a long time for him to leave the devastation behind. Helping the Vinrey's complete their house was another step in that direction.

After cleaning up the broken window, Geoff went to his trailer, his dusty clothes making it obvious he needed a shower. Poppy's laughter caught his attention. He hadn't talked to the girl for a few days. Yet he couldn't. Not while death filled his mind. The odd part of it all, he realized, was that he rarely showed his emotions. As upset as he was, he was sure the little girl would notice, and he didn't want that.

Geoff spent the next few days clearing out the mess from his hours of demolition. He closed his mind to everything but the task he wanted to finish each moment. Only at night, when he was alone in his trailer, did he let his thoughts go. There wasn't anything he could do to help Bill or Penny. The house wouldn't be done until the state loosened more of the COVID restrictions. Because of the social distancing laws, they couldn't have many people inside at once anyway. Normal projects had electricians, plumbers, drywall teams, flooring companies, and other professionals needed to complete everything by the deadline set in the original contracts.

His burst of energy let Geoff see what the space would look like when done. Bill continued to call, although each time he had less interest in the house. They talked about things they went through while in the service. Geoff didn't question the bond they formed. They leaned on each other as Bill's cancer stole his future.

Next door, Poppy seemed to change from the happy little girl Geoff met to a churlish child who constantly disobeyed. Robin did her best to find ways to keep her daughter occupied. Nothing worked though. She stared at where the fence had been and waited for Geoff to show up. He hadn't been there for almost a week. Her mother wouldn't let her leave their yard or she would have gone to see if he was still there.

"Mama, what if Mr. Geoff got hurt? He might be bleeding and need help. We have to go check," Poppy said after running to her mother. "Please, we have to."

"Honey, he has a lot of work to do inside the house. When he was out here, he was getting the ground ready for the flower garden. That's done now. We can't expect him to come out here and do nothing."

"But it's been days and days."

"I know, honey, but I'm sure he's just busy right now."

Poppy kicked at the grass and walked away. The yard needed to be mowed again but she couldn't do it alone. She didn't even know where the cutter thing was.

That afternoon, Geoff went out to the garage. Whenever he heard there was a lift on some of the virus limitations, he ordered more lumber for the house. He found the oak he needed and calculated how much he could carry without dropping any. Bringing in as much as he needed for the next projects, he locked the house and went to his trailer. The refrigerator didn't have much in it. Ordering groceries hadn't been on his mind. He grabbed his phone and put in an order for a pizza. Before ending the call, he added several sides and some beverages, deciding to share it with his neighbors.

Robin heard the doorbell as she was figuring out what to fix for dinner. She certainly didn't expect anyone so was surprised to see Geoff standing there.

"I hope you haven't had dinner yet. I ordered a bit more than I need," he said.

The black facemask he wore added to his good looks. Robin stopped her thoughts and shook her head.

"I was just--"

"Mr. Geoff! You're safe!"

Poppy ran into the room but stopped when her mother held her arm out.

"I asked mama to check on you 'cause we didn't see you for so long. She said you had lots to do but I missed talking to you at the fence."

"Well thank you for worrying about me. I've been extra busy inside lately. But check this out," he said, holding out one of the bags he held. "I brought a treat."

"Mama, is it OK?"

Robin nodded. "I'll get some plates and bring them to the table."

Knowing they would need their masks off to eat, she placed them several feet away from each other. It wasn't the ideal way to share a meal, but keeping her daughter safe--and happy-- was important.

Geoff opened the pizza boxes while Poppy looked into the bags. He could see the delight in her eyes and smiled. It felt good to think of something other than death for a while, he realized.

"Poppy, did you get that new fence built yet?"

Geoff grinned at the look she gave him. Robin sat back and watched as he teased her daughter. The pair made up stories and laughed at silly jokes. She caught herself wondering what it would be like to have him in their lives more often. Yet she really knew nothing about the man. Had she allowed her daughter to get too close to him? How would she handle it when he left?

"OK, ladies, as much as I've enjoyed your company, I have a few things to finish yet tonight," Geoff said as he stood.

Robin reminded him to take the leftover pizza with him but he left it with them. He hadn't been eating as much lately and didn't want it to go to waste. Thoughts of Bill and Penny changed the smile he had to a frown again. Geoff didn't know why he took Bill's cancer so personally. The news hit him as hard as if they were family.

All he planned to do was check the house so he could make a list of things to do the next day. Instead, he turned the radio on and went to work on the main floor bathroom. Everything needed to go. By morning, he had the room down to the studs, and muscles so sore it hurt to move. He shuffled across the yard to his trailer where he took a long shower. Penny called before he had a chance to fall asleep. Bill wasn't doing well. He forgot about sleep and his aching muscles. Instead, he dressed and left.

Geoff was exhausted by the time he made it back home that night. He spent the day with Bill, listening as he talked about his career, his wife, and his impending death. Penny sat at his side as they talked about the house. She knew she couldn't manage it alone. In fact, she admitted that without Bill she didn't even want it. Their offer stunned Geoff. If he wanted to complete the restoration, they would sell him the property as is. Bill's reasoning was that it would be one less thing for Penny to deal with after he was gone. Geoff didn't hesitate to accept. They agreed on a price and shook hands.

The exchange seemed to help Bill relax. He smiled at Penny. Their obvious love for each other made Geoff envious. He left deep in thoughts. The Vinrey's plans for the house took advantage of the original architecture and blended it with a modern touch. He would change a few things but nothing so drastic the house lost its beauty. First thing he needed to do was get the legal paperwork done. That was as far as he could think before he fell asleep.

Geoff had his lawyer draw up the contract for the house first thing the next day. He walked through the rooms looking at them in a different way than he had before. Despite his sadness, he was also excited. Since he hadn't torn apart every room, he chose one to make into an office. By the end of the week, he decided to move out of the trailer and stay in the house.

Geoff spent quite a bit of time at the Vinrey's, encouraging Penny to rest while he sat with Bill. The man's health deteriorated almost daily until he slept most of the time. What hurt Geoff the most was how quickly the time went. He thought back to the day they told him about the cancer. Bill looked too healthy to be dying. Yet long before he was ready to hear the news, Penny called to let him know Bill passed away during the night. They didn't talk long since she had others to inform too.

Geoff tossed his phone onto the desk and swore. After he had wandered through each room several times, he went outside, hoping he could find peace under the walnut tree. He closed his eyes and let the reality of the past months sink in. He owned the property. It was his to do whatever he wanted.

"Mr. Geoff?"

Poppy's voice startled him. He opened his eyes and looked at her. He hadn't taken a facemask out with him, so he had to make sure he stayed a safe distance away from her.

"Were you sick? I didn't see you outside."

Geoff thought before speaking. How much would a seven-year-old understand if he mentioned death?

"A friend of mine was sick. I spent a lot of time with him."

"Is he better now?"

The innocent question brought a tear to his eye. "No, he died."

Poppy stared at the big man she thought of as a friend. "Is that why you're sad?"

Geoff nodded. He didn't want to bawl in front of the child. Yet he couldn't stop the tears running down his cheeks. With his mind on the loss of his friend, he didn't notice Poppy left.

"I'm sorry you lost your friend, Geoff. Poppy just came in and told me. Is there anything we can do?"

Before answering, he brushed his arm across his face. "Thanks, I'll be all right. You would have liked him. He and his wife were the ones restoring this place," he said as he stood. "I guess you're stuck with me now instead."

"Excuse me?" Robin asked.

"Penny didn't want the house without her husband. So I bought it."

Poppy hadn't said anything while her mother talked to Geoff. Of course, she was close enough to hear him say he bought the house.

"Are you going to live here?" Poppy asked.

"Well, the house isn't really ready for that but I will for now. I set up one of the rooms in the house as an office and another where I can sleep."

"Welcome to the neighborhood, Geoff. You'll like it here."

"I'm sure I will. But, I'm not the kind of neighbor who'll have endless parties with drunken people running around yelling in the middle of the night."

"Oh, rats, and here I was hoping there would be hunky studs wandering around naked," Robin said, covering her mouth as soon as she realized she actually spoke the words.

Geoff noticed the blush first. Then he looked into her eyes. A quick glance assured him Poppy had run after the soccer ball she kicked on the other side of the yard.

"Well, if that's what you want..."

His hands went to the bottom of his T-shirt. He tugged it up several inches before dropping it back in place. Standing in the middle of the yard wasn't the place to strip--especially when Poppy was there. Nevertheless, he had enjoyed teasing the redhead. She took his mind off Bill for a few minutes.

"I'll be around if you need something fixed. I'm not a professional but I can manage the basics. Now I have to call my lawyer. He had a few questions for me."

He pivoted and walked back to what was now his house. Although the redhead stayed in his mind as he worked, thoughts of Bill were there too. He realized they would stay as long as he was working on the house using the plans he and Penny made for the rooms. With paper and a pencil, he sketched the outer walls first, and then designed what he saw for the finished product. Before he could make them though, he would need to talk to the architect. That would take time, he knew, but he had plenty of that.

Geoff did everything he could before the next inspection. Most days he spent inside. At times, he heard Poppy or Robin in their yard. The little girl's laughter always made him smile. He admitted that he missed working in the garden and talking to her through the old fence. Some of the trees needed trimming. Maybe he could find a way to fit that into the day, he decided, heading to the barn for the equipment he needed.

Poppy heard the saws and ran to the window. When she saw Geoff, she asked her mother if she could go outside, then stood quietly as he worked. Only when he stopped for a break did she say anything.

"Mr. Geoff, you're outside!"

She danced and giggled as she spoke. He wiped the sweat and dust from his face before sitting under the walnut tree. The birds chirped from the trees around him. Somewhere across the property, back in the wooded area, a crow cawed. Letting his mind wander allowed him to imagine a life with a family. That was something he hadn't thought about before. Maybe it was seeing Poppy that did it. Or maybe it was the attractive redhead the child called mom. As if she heard his thoughts, she appeared on the patio.

"Don't get in the way, Poppy," she said.

"I'm not. I stayed way back when he made parts of the tree fall."

"That's good to hear, honey." Robin walked toward Geoff. "Are you thirsty? I just made lemonade if you want some."

"Now that's an offer I can't refuse."

He winked before she went inside. He knew she saw it when a blush covered her cheeks. His laugh went straight through her. She splashed cold water on her face before going back outside.

"Mama makes the best lemonade!" Poppy yelled from across the yard. "Mr. Geoff? Can we use the cutter thing again for the grass? It's really long."

Geoff knew he couldn't stay in the mood he had been in since Bill's death. Seeing Poppy so happy helped. He let go of the sadness even though he would always miss the man he called his friend.

"I think we can do that... but not until two things happen. Can you guess what they are?" he asked.

"Um, pick up all the toys?"

"Yep, that's one."

He stayed looking at Poppy even when he saw Robin walking his way. The sun highlighted her red hair into a mass of color no stylist could replicate. He took the glass of lemonade she offered at the same time Poppy reached for hers. She giggled when their hands hit together.

"Did you figure out what the second thing was that you need to do?"

"Um, find the cutter thing?"

"Nope, it's in the barn, right where I put it. Guess again," he said before taking a drink.

"Mama, help me."

The child put her hand on her hip as she tried to figure out the answer. Robin shook her head and smiled. She wasn't sure herself what he meant.

"OK, let's play a game. How old are you?"

"I already told you I was seven, silly."

"Are you a boy or a girl?"

Poppy laughed. "A girl!"

"OK, last one. Who's the boss at your house?"

"That's easy. My mama's the boss. I have to listen to her even if I don't want to."

"So that takes us to the second thing you have to do before we mow the grass," Geoff said. "You need permission from your mom."

Poppy sighed. "Last time I didn't."

"No, but that was a surprise. Now she knows so it's important to ask her first."

Poppy gave Geoff a cross look that made him want to laugh. He waited as she faced her mother. Robin gazed at the man standing behind her daughter. Despite wearing masks and staying a safe distance from each other, his presence in their lives felt natural.

"Can I, mama? Please?"

"As long as you listen to whatever he says," Robin said.

Geoff grinned. "I'll be right back. Get those toys picked up while I'm gone."

Robin sat on the patio while Geoff and Poppy mowed the lawn. She saw how his muscles flexed as he did the majority of the work. At some point, she realized, he had become more than the stranger on the other side of the fence. He may have ended up as their neighbor in a way that clearly left him hurting, but maybe Poppy would be able to help him heal.