All Comments on 'Sunflowers in Bloom'

by norafares

Sort by:
  • 76 Comments
Bebop3Bebop3over 4 years ago
A beautiful story...

Ms. Fares, and you overstate my contribution.

And yes, lucky kitten.

stev2244stev2244over 4 years ago
Wow

Damn, Mrs. Fares, that story sets the bar really high. That was a truly awesome story.

Like Mr. Bebop, I think that you might have overstated my influence.

dwoelfledwoelfleover 4 years ago
What a wonderful love story

Simply lovely. Didn't need any sex. Please keep writing.

BarryJames1952BarryJames1952over 4 years ago
My heart has been touched

This is a magnificent story written by a talented, fantastic writer. I know I'll read it many more times just to relive the glow. Thank you, Nora.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 4 years ago
You write so beautifully

of yearning and love that sometimes it hurts to read. Still, I thank you.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 4 years ago
So beautiful

Such a lovely romantic story deserving a Milky Way of stars.

steeltiger01steeltiger01over 4 years ago
Amazing

You started as a prodigious talent, and you just keep getting better. This is a beautiful story, as pure a love as I've read here.

I do have a quibble though: He was not wearing Black Sabbath shirt in 1965; the band wasn't founded until '68. Tshirts came a bit later.

That aside, though, it's a phenomenal story. I'm going to insist that my wife reads this one tonight.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 4 years ago
To those who have not yet read this story.

You must. It is just that good.

MsCherylTerraMsCherylTerraover 4 years ago
Lovely

This is a beautifully written story with a unique and endearing concept. Absolutely loved it, Nora! You are such an amazing, talented author.

BurntRedstoneBurntRedstoneover 4 years ago
Gentle Beauty

A truly sweet and tender love story that brought tears to my eyes. Beautifully written and paced. Damn, I'm having a hard time seeing what I'm writing.

I'll just end this with a thank you!

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110over 4 years ago
Really choked me up

The emotion and sentiment here are palpable. A real love story. I loved it.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
Beautiful

I had the pleasure of doing some early reads on this, but this was the first time I got to read the ending. Still wiping away the tears.

Rocket081960Rocket081960over 4 years ago
You OUTSTANDING!

Thank you! A very beautiful story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
christmas vibes

this story is perfect for this time of the year, I hadn't realised before, but especially with that ending, it just gives me the warm fuzzy feeling I need for christmas!

I kind of imagine the house like I remember shakespeare's birthplace. We went there on a school trip in 8th grade and it was this lovely cottage with flowers everywhere (I'm sure it wasn't like that, but in my mind I kind of have this image :D) and I just want Liz and Nate to live there and be happy together forever :) Minus the tourists of course :D

So proud of you to finally finish this story!! has been ages :D

-Lun

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 4 years ago
What a great story

Norafares, Girlinthemoon, MsCherylTerra, the three spellbinding sorceresses on one page! So beautifully written, my love. I can't wait for your next. Randi.

Robyn1859Robyn1859over 4 years ago
Oh my!

Breathtaking... and tear inducing. Such a lovely sad love story

xtchrxtchrover 4 years ago
Wow! Wow! Wow!

What a great story. I usually don't like sci fi and/or ghost stories BUT I am so glad I stuck with this one. It was simply beautiful. This story shows what a real, true love is all about. You could tell that I really liked it because I didn't want it to end.

Thank you for a very good story.

tangledweedtangledweedover 4 years ago
I can't think of anything to say.

Norafares, you have left me awed with Sunflowers in Bloom. Unapologetically romantic and sweet enough to spike your blood sugar. This is very good.

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 4 years ago
One of the best I've ever read in Lit

Absolutely amazing! I'd give it a 10 if I could.

Hooked

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Good enough

Good enough to make a grown man cry.

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 4 years ago

Wonderful story

Sunflowers are my favorites, so I HAD to read this story.

I thoroughly enjoyed it--all of it. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Anonymous

Just Outstanding!

valkoinenvalkoinenover 4 years ago
The Power of Love

Thank you for this most beautiful story.

SandyWhoSandyWhoover 4 years ago

This is a 4.5 story, quite lovely but with flawed timelines which do not make much sense. Lizzie and her sister were murdered by their father 16 year ago and yet he gets out of prison and they get to haunt him and run him off? Is double murder so common in England that a 10-15 year sentence is just fine? And does anyone in the local pub not bother to tell Nate or his friends about this? From my limited experience in UK Pubs, they would argue with you about the tulip bulbs you planted 5 years ago. You should have added 40+ years to the Lizzie ghost.

Also the issue about clothing. She can wear clothing and they can touch it but not her skin. Fine, then how could Ezra's hand go through her chest? Was she dancing nude with them? I appreciate the story line allows physical interaction between a ghost and real world but if you can give her shoes and a locket to wear, you can also hug, perhaps even make love to a fully clothed Lizzie.

All that said, I hope I can write as beautifully some day. Thanks for the story.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 4 years ago
@SandyWho

You are wrong about this being a 4.5 story. It's a 4.9 story, and deservedly so. The readers, not you, have spoken. In YOUR OPINION, it's what you say. You aren't the final authority.

I have never quite understood those who read a story and pick at details. This is a story about a young man and a ghost. Do you understand that? A GHOST. It's a beautiful ethereal romance, and you talk about timelines, prison sentences, pub gossip, and shit. If you can suspend disbelief to accept a ghost, the rest is trivia.

Then you talk about what a ghost should be able to do. You a ghost expert? You know about all the physical and spiritual rules that govern ghosts? Wow! That's hella impressive! Next time I encounter a ghost, I sure call on you for the rules.

I checked your bio. You do beautiful art. The story... not so much. You write a blatantly racist story of ridiculous theatricality, but you all judgmental about ghost clothes? Damn, lady.

SandyWhoSandyWhoover 4 years ago

@blackrandl1958

Wow, to get flamed by one of my favorite authors is sort of exciting! But don’t you think you are overreacting a bit?

I too thought it a wonderful story and I was not critical of the story but of the continuity of the story line, all of which could be easily corrected with some simple edits. As to ghosts, the author provided us the conditions so no supernatural expertise required. I just pointed out the inconsistency. Again, some simple edits.

As I said in my post “I hope I can write as beautifully someday” and I meant it. As to your critique of a story I wrote several years ago, yes, I think it is worthy of the scores it received and I have often thought about rewriting it to fix it.

I have read many of your stories and enjoy your style of writing. In particular, your dialogue flow between characters propels the story without having to add lots of detailed background. That is something I have been working on with my writing and someday I will test the waters in Lit again to see if I can be worthy of a 4.5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wonderful!

This is wonderful, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
A beautiful ghost story.

For pure fiction, this is a very touching and emotional story. It had me in tears at several places. I thoroughly enjoyed it, including the ending. Thank you!

slm59slm59about 4 years ago
Perfect

I'm almost at a loss for words. This is an awesome love story. Thankyou Nora!

chastenchastenabout 4 years ago

What a beautiful story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

@blackrandl

Your comment was uncalled for and way too aggressive.

Loved the writing style, could briefly bask in the love and warmth shared by your protagonists. Great job!

- health care worker based in Ohio and working during a pandemic

OvercriticalOvercriticalalmost 4 years ago
Beautifully written, but...

I guess I'll have to live up to my handle and cast a somewhat negative vote. I scored the tale as a 5* because it is a "feel-good" story and we all know that getting feel-good input is sorely lacking in today's world. However, I like to put myself in the shoes of a major protagonist so that I can have someone to root for. So I'd like to be with Nate and I'm profoundly saddened by being with someone who for the 50 years of their lifetimes (so to speak) together never has a physical interaction. Never holds her hand or kisses her or just sits shoulder to shoulder while reading or watching the tv. Never enjoys children together or friends at parties (except when the clown pair comes to visit). What do they do together? He is modestly successful as a writer (with her help, I assume). But 50 years together with a non-corporeal being? I can only assume that the somewhat fuzzy ending has him reverting to a ghost status and the two of them return to the house to spend eternity together as jointly non-corporeal. What a dreadful outlook. It was still worth reading and on some level a true love story it was.

PickFictionPickFictionalmost 4 years ago
Of course

Totally unbelievable of course, but yet perfectly believable as you've written it. If I'm writing, I'm involved with time lines, details, numbers, etc. If I'm reading, I leave those things to the author and just read what's written which, in this case, is beautifully and hauntingly (no pun intended) done. Holes in our lives can be filled in many ways, no two the same it seems, thank goodness. Loved it. Good job!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Kia ora

Your tale draws out many of those emotions that make us human. It's sad to think that there are people in this world who may never experience those feelings.

The "beautiful cottage with the shining Christmas lights and flowers in full bloom" is that special place where our ancestors are waiting for us when we reach 'page 5'.

Kia ora, thank you!

OneAuthorOneAuthoralmost 4 years ago
A captivating tale of true love

I feel like an idiot for having taken so long to fully read one of Miss Nora's stories, given how magnificent this one is. My cheeks are still wet from all the emotions that your words brought to the surface. The sense of longing and yearning, followed by the joy of them actually able to be together at the end... were so powerful, and so wonderfully written. I wish I could give this more stars than the beautiful Lizzie has even seen in the night sky.

Cracker270Cracker270almost 4 years ago

I don’t have the eloquence this comment deserves. I set here, a very mature man, blubbering like a child. First one of your stories read, not the last.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Historical useless stuff only

The Black Sabbath where not created until 1967 and this with a different name. The Black Sabbath name came to creation in 1969, so a 1965 Black Sabbath t-shirt was a bit "back to the future"

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Kia ora anō

A bloody awesome story. So so romantic and beautifully written.

Yanbrun82Yanbrun82over 3 years ago
A masterpiece

Thank you for writing this story. It is totally worth more than five stars! I love their story.

Antryg_WindroseAntryg_Windroseover 3 years ago
Fine fantasy

It's good that ghosts have limits, else they'd be underfoot and bothersome.

NaiaTinkAbellaNaiaTinkAbellaover 3 years ago
Cryinggggg

Stayed up late reading, woke up late to finish reading.... Was not disappointed!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Thank you for this lovely story. I enjoyed it immensely... except for one thing: I found the characters of Alfie and Ezra far more interesting than Nate or Lizzie!

Any chance of companion pieces featuring these two adorable good friends and how they meet the loves of their lives?

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyover 3 years ago
Characters

Developed in love and quirkiness. Like all of us in our better moments. Tears of joy at the end we knew was coming. Thank you.

Comentarista82Comentarista82almost 3 years ago

The real test for a writer here is to see how well one's writing and ability holds up to not having any sex in the story. This just proved you're one of the few that can successfully negotiate that, and do so well. One of my favorite writers on here can do both, and you've just joined that other one I really admire too.

What a charming tale all the way around. Lizzie is so lovely and alive that it was a shame she could not have been brought back to life; instead, Nate joins her. She teaches him how to really live (the turning point obviously being the drunken party in town that he no longer liked) and he learns. What an unexpected yet blossoming partnership! It gathered all kinds of emotions into one place: sadness, wistfulness, joy, loss, love, reflection, thoughtfulness (I REALLY loved that locket Nate gave her)...what doesn't this story have that matters? It does not lack a single thing!

Nothing less than 5 will do. Excellent work on everything (even Chester). :)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Atouching and most enjoable story _ well done. Have you thoughtbof trying yourvhand atca longer format... You have the skill

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Beautiful lovely and touching story. Nicely written yet so meaningful. Definitely a 5 star ✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟 rating

Ourobouros54Ourobouros54almost 3 years ago

Lovely story, but a minor correction. Here in England we don't have the brand name Advil, they would have called the painkillers Paracetamol.

Lector77Lector77over 2 years ago

Thank you, norafares.

SignedBTWSignedBTWover 2 years ago

She Would Have Left

Chester to the same fate as hers before Nate. The only fault it could find, but I found myself wondering about Alfie and Ezra. The song that came to my mind was 'Love Will Find A Way' (Put A Little Love In Your Heart), but then they already had that. Lou ended up with his Nora after being cursed to be tied to the Danbury Estate "Till crack of doom." Now Nate, Lizzie and Chester have their own piece of heaven. ******'s Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I don’t know how to rate this story. My wife of nearly forty years died two and a half years ago. She was a beautiful artist, both wise and mysterious. Her murderer was cancer. I live in the house we designed a built together. She loved where we chose to live and wanted to die here. She did, and in the bed where I continue to sleep. On the second page, I began to cry, and couldn’t stop. I’m still crying. I think the reason is that your story made me wish she could be with me like your Lizzie, but I realize that I couldn’t endure the pain of living with someone you love, but can’t touch or hold. I guess in a way I am in that situation since her presence is here in art she left behind. Those pieces are like the clothes your character wears, that can be touched, but the person within can’t be felt. The pain brought by reading your story made me want to say I hated it, but, of course, it is so beautifully crafted I had to give it maximum credit. But damn girl, it was so painful to read.

vintageridervintageriderover 2 years ago

Damn woman! Don't you know it's not good to make old guys cry? Too many people (mainly the young and ignorant) are way too eager to cancel our "Man Cards" because they think we should all be put out to pasture. Older females can get away with that sort of stuff but guys have to be careful. Either lighten up or give us a heads-up so we can be sure no one's around to see, OK? Otherwise, it's a wonderful story and thank you so much for posting it here.

PurplefizzPurplefizzover 2 years ago

Achingly beautiful and heart rendingly sad, I loved it and did not miss the fact that the character with the most zest for life was the one who wasn’t alive. Many thanks for writing @Norafares.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thank you for continuing to gift us such beautiful stories! It's things like this that make my day. I hope to read many more of your stories in the years to come!

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 2 years ago

I notice that I’m not the only

reader that had tears reading

this one. Well written, once

more; Merci, Nora.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wow all I can say is thank you for your beautiful, romantic and lovely story. This is my fourth reading and still I got dust in my eyes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What a beautiful love story! Totally made me cry.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is a wonderful love story. It’s romantic right from the moment we meet Nate and Lizzie. I think she’s the kind of woman that a lot of men hope for when they choose a woman to be their wife. The story is so beautiful and romantic. I can’t stop crying. Nora, you outdid yourself with this one.

Thank you for it.

Bebop3Bebop3over 2 years ago

I'm confused and not sure who was reaching out.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 2 years ago

Thank you Nora another good story. I still liked Head Above Water as your best. I tried to read Void Bunny but just couldn't get into it. Keep up the good work, I do see you mentioned in other works by other offers always god things are said. This one brought tears and I'm still dealing with my loss and ex that has done a great job alienating my daughters. Best to you and take care.

rlh100rlh100about 2 years ago

A very loving story with a happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

My allergies are flaring up. 5*

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

5* A bit weird (that's not a criticism), well-written, gripping, original, and imaginative. There are lots of lovely little details (e.g. "Well, I can walk through any person, really. Though my clothes can't so there's no point in making a habit of it."). It's all so internally logical and each main character is painted with his or her own personality; your choices of words bring them to life (no pun intended). For such a strange story it's paradoxically believable - and it has a tearjerker of a happy ending. You'll gather I like it, it's a shame there're only 5 stars available.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 1 year ago

Upon second reading, I felt some of Nate's frustrations and yearnings, but my Lizzie was my wife of 60+ years. She was still alive, but Alzheimer's had made her a virtual ghost of her former self. The reading was even more bittersweet, but it's still a remarkably good piece of writing. Thank you, Ms. fares.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I'm not crying, you are....

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I almost never cry at ghost stories. Almost. lpw

MwestohioMwestohioabout 1 year ago

Lovely. Very poignant

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Second read. Still a beautiful love story. Love transcending the physical...on death he could finally be fully with her. Thank you.

LMJ

joeoggijoeoggi9 months ago

Wow. “Not a dry eye in the room”! Give me a break. That as an emotional roller coaster that I certainly didn’t expect on this site. I don’t care if there’s no sex, give me emotions, characters who think and feel, real dialogue between adults and that’s what I got…twenty fold. You are an incredible writer. I’m blown away by your talent. SO GOOD.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Admiration for you and your story telling. Love for your stories. They cleanse my soul. TFS…

BigotedeFocaBigotedeFoca7 months ago

Absolutely heartwarmingly beautiful.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I wish could tell how much I enjoyed this. It is so deeply RIGHT on so many levels.

Thank you.

Merrily_We_GoMerrily_We_Go4 months ago

15 / 5! You are a master story-teller, and it's a privilege to be one of your readers.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

You nasty, nasty, beautiful person!!!

It is hard to read with teary eyes.

Well done. 5 stars, of course.

Teary eyed Frank.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Exquisitely beautiful. Far beyond "The Ghost and Mrs.Muir", or the classic, "Topper". At last together. (Soulmates forever?)

kaotic2kaotic2about 1 month ago

This was so good. Thank you.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usernorafares@norafares
Hi there, I’m Nora :) I write about flawed characters navigating their way through life, often falling hopelessly in love along the way. I grew up on 90s swoony Bollywood films, endless piles of cheesy romance novels, and obsessively rewinding that part where Matthew Macfayde...

SIMILAR Stories