All Comments on 'The Archer's Lady'

by Spencerfiction

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousover 5 years ago
Well done

I must say I have enjoyed this trilogy. I can't say I was surprised by any of it, but even deducing the ending long before getting there, the way you told the story kept my attention from the beginning. It doesn't hurt that I am a history buff, and this is a period of history that is little told or known. In places, it was a little over descriptive and/or redundant, but all in all well done.

I'm sure you lost points for lack of sexual theme, but I found the tale sufficient without a lot of sex. Sex for sex's sake is empty, repetitive, and becomes boring. The story is the key as far as I'm concerned. I gladly give a 5

ag2507ag2507over 5 years ago
Interesting

Very much enjoyed. Well done. Though you leave this family with some interesting decisions to make in 1135.

A

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Boring

The story goes on longer than life itself. As sexy as a dead snail. No one ever finished this nonsense but favored it out of pity. Maybe you should try sky diving?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Well Done and Well Written

The Quality of this story is on a very high level compared to many other stories on this site. I happen to be a history student, royal history in particular, and Queens also in particular and also women's rights. The author brought a period of history - The Pre-Anarchy alive.This was magical for someone who has an interest in that time and place and life. It reminds me of Pillars of The Earth - I wish it could be made into a movie!

PileatedWPPileatedWPover 5 years ago
Haven't read this yet.

I am reluctant to start this story because I assume the Lady in the story is Lady Elinor and I found her to be a very unlikeable character. It was difficult to understand how Robin pined over her because her eyes captured him on their first meeting - which she later explained was her way of making sure he would recognize her later. She manipulated him the whole time and put his entire family and town in jeopardy. I also am always amazed that stories have the same number of pages as the previous work. It is like there is a number in the author's head that has to be met. The third book of the Hunger Games is a horrible (but also great) example of an author who just couldn't wait to be done writing and crammed it all into the allotted space and quit. One of the worst endings to a trilogy ever. I will wait for more comments on this story before making up my mind.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Good Job!

Couldn't stop reading it. Lots of characters to try and keep track of and some of the "Period English" words used slowed the reading. But, otherwise greatly enjoyed the story. Thanks for sharing!

AZTT1AZTT1over 5 years ago
Great fun

I enjoyed the twists and turns

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Good story

Yes the story is a good one.

Elinor became more believable as it went on.

The plot worked to my mind anyway.

But I detracted points for the lazy grammar again.

Before you try for an echo of ancient English

(Which is unintelligible to today's audience)

You continue to use the wrong tenses. I:E

She smiles at me as she takes a linen bag from her dresser at the foot of the bed and takes out a fist sized rock from the bag.

Instead of.

She smiled at me as she took a linen bag from her dresser at the foot of bed and took out a fist sized rock from the bag.

Is is auto spelling?

Laziness?

Ignorance?

Or orneryness?

Makes reading annoying.

dawg_of_wardawg_of_warover 5 years ago
Great Story 5*'s

I too was a little taken aback by Lady Elinor 's character at the end of part 2. Even during the first part of this story, she is not my favorite. But you, Sir Bard, weaved a well told story that ended as it should.

I realize this was to be a final installment, but I "beseech thee" write another tale of Sir Robin and his life, maybe 10 years later. His father on in age, a new monarch on the throne, and the Archer family serving their people rightly and with honor.

Just a thought...

DoW

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 5 years agoAuthor
Aye, DoW there's more tale to tell methinks

These historical fiction stories take a long time to write, "The Archer" was written in 2013 and still my most popular paperback book since the second edition was published in 2017. I finished "The Archer's Apprentice" in 2015. "The Archer's Lady" took me 30 months to write. Been toying with the idea of pitching "The Archer's Family" set in early 1135, with Elinor and Robin sent to Dunfermline to unsuccessfully plead with King David to spare the life of the rebel Alisdair MacMalcolm adopted son of King Alexander I and Sybilla, illegitimate daughter of King Henry, with Will Archer helping David put down the rebellion since 1130; then Elinor going to Normandy to plead with Matilda and her husband Geoffrey who are incongruously siding with the Southern Normandy barons who are objecting to Henry's succession. Curiously, this opposition by Matilda to her father, left the door open for Stephen and cost her the throne in 1135. This period, with Henry and David at the full extent of their powers, when Henry dies suddenly and Étienne (Stephen) of Blois with the support of his brother Henry beats his older and the more favoured brother Theo, Count of Blois & Champagne, to the throne of England in fascinating. Lots of opportunities for intrigue, between the Blois brothers, the separation of the Archer family in the potential time of war, as the family try to get back together in the quiet corner of England and for conflicts between supporters of Stephen, Matilda over England. Then perhaps a 5th book for 1138 when The Anarchy gets underway with the pressures of allegiances, with Stephen as a cheerful drinker and brave if rather stupid general, but the sort of King that the Archers could follow, while Matilda is arrogant, selfish and stubborn. As each book takes place over a period of about a week or so, just the Anarchy alone could easily take 3 books to cover (1135, 1138, 1154), but that might take me 6 or 7 years to write. I also write contemporary fiction and am currently working on the research for my fifth local history book, a project already 360 pages long.

RK52RK52over 5 years ago
Absolutely great

I binged on all three volumes and was fascinated with the color and detail. There has to be some willing suspension of disbelief but it was well done and not overpowering. Thank you for the great work and outstanding series. I look forward to the future volumes.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Many more adventures to come

Sir Robin of Oaklea...

An archer turned knight, son of an Earl (although this one's Earl wasn't born one)(?)

Friend to the old king (whom he's saved a couple of times)

Doesn't care for the French (perhaps with good reason?)

We've heard of him before - but his partner's name is traditionally Marian.

A fine telling of the origins of Robin Hood - how will this Robin's life go compared to the stories we know? Elinor (no she's not Eleanor of Aquitaine, the dates are wrong) and Robin Hood on the throne of England???

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Great stuff!

Don't mind the naysayers. Some people stumble into stories that weren't meant for them. And I hope you follow through with another sequel.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I have read thousands of stories and books, and

I loved The Archer's Lady. Well researched too! A great romance. Well told and because you wrote it as a couple, excellent changes in points of view. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
hopefully not finished

Hopefully this well told saga of the Archer's has more chapters to follow.

A very well told tale!!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSpencerfiction@Spencerfiction
An old printer, typesetter, proofreader, local politician and activist. I write for pleasure only, an untrained writer too set in his ways to change or learn. I have courted and been wedded to the same impossible angel for over four decades, so I am an unremitted romantic. If ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES