The Artist and the Muse

Story Info
An older female artist, her young model and a painting.
14.7k words
4.66
15.8k
18
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was a small classified ad. "Want to spend the summer by the sea and earn a little pocket money? Lady artist seeks female model for painting. Board and Lodging provided."

Jane read it carefully. She was just about to finish at university, and was leaving with a degree in English Literature, and was awaiting the final results, probably a first. She had some money from a bequest from her grandmother and wanted to take at least the summer off before looking for a job, just to relax from taking finals. So here she was, in mid-May, reading the classifieds.

Jane was 24, when the results came in, she would have a degree that would easily get her a teaching position in English, and was quite shapely with a 34c - 26- 34 figure. The boy's liked it. Jane's problem was that she didn't like boys. Especially university boys. They all seemed to be either beer-swilling rugby players or video-game playing nerds.

Not that the girls seemed any better. They seemed all to be boy mad, or men-haters, or immature, or butch, or some combination of those. Certainly the ones in the LGBTQ club at the university were. After 4 years at university, she had had a couple of dates with girls, but her total sex life experience was in the privacy of her own room alone with her toys.

She phoned the number given. The phone rang a few times before it was answered, and Jane wondered at first if the perfunctory voice was an answering machine or a person. The voice simply said, "Hello, Mary here."

"Hi, Mary, is that you or an answering machine?"

The voice laughed. "If you're selling anything, it's an answering machine." Jane joined in with the laughter.

"I was phoning about your advert...."

"Okay, here's the details. I want a female model for nude paintings, inside the studio and outside. I'm no beauty queen which is why I never paint myself. Mind you, I say I never paint myself but I always end up with the stuff all over me. You get your own room, three meals a day, and some pocket money, and the gig runs till the end of September. You must commit to staying that long. Interested?"

Jane managed to get out "Yes" before being cut off.

"You got a picture you can email me? Doesn't have to be nude."

Jane said "I'll take a selfie right now and text it to you. Can make it nude if you want. Text to this phone number?"

"Yes, it's a cell. I'll call you back straight away if it looks good."

Jane was in her own dorm room, and hadn't bothered yet to get dressed, so she wondered over to the mirror with her phone and took a picture of herself from knees to head, naked, but covering part of her face with the camera. Then she decided to go the whole hog and took a second without hiding her face. She texted that one, explaining in her text that she had no tattoos or nasty scars or birth marks.

Less than five minutes went by, although it seemed longer. The phone rang and Jane answered. "You look great. Nice figure, nice skin tones, good face. You're hired. When can you be here?"

"Where are you?"

"West coast of Wales."

"I'm in the Midlands and have a car. I could be there this evening."

"Do you like dover sole?"

"Yes."

"Then get your butt down here, fresh local dover sole and chips for supper okay?"

And with that, on a pleasant Monday in May, Jane was packing her cases and off to Wales for what promised to be an interesting summer. Mary had emailed her the directions, which was perhaps as well as she had a farm a few miles south of Harlech, in a pretty remote area. It was late afternoon when she arrived up the long track from the road. She parked her car and looked around.

The farm looked directly out to sea, and consisted of a quite nice looking white-washed cottage and several small sheds, some in need of repair, and one big stone white-washed shed with quite a few windows, and skylights on its north facing roof. The door was open, and Jane could hear sounds of a radio.

She called out "Hello" but there was no response. No-one appeared. So she followed the sounds of music - classical - into the large shed. There in the middle, painting a dog lying down fast asleep, was a tallish woman with grey hair. She was slim, very slim, except that she had very noticeable breasts, bigger than Jane's. She was dressed in shorts and a T-shirt with some sort of smock or white coat over, unfastened. As Jane called out, the woman - who was clearly Mary - turned around and smiled at her. Jan caught a glimpse of the painting of the dog. It actually looked really good. Jane thought Mary was probably around 55, which in fact she was.

"Glad you arrived safely. Wasn't expecting you quite yet, or I would have changed out of my work clothes..."

"That's no problem"

"Well, I seem to get paint everywhere, so I paint in these until they're too stiff with paint, then I throw them out and get some more work clothes from the Salvation Army shop. Helps them and me."

Jane looked at Mary. She had shape, just not an hour-glass shape. She was basically straight up and down except for her large breasts, which admittedly didn't sag very much. Mary saw her looking, and laughed.

"Yeah, unusual shape I've got. That's why I don't paint myself, well, other than my clothes. So welcome to my lonely little spot, hope you won't get too bored with the place or me."

"Quiet's good. Was just wanting some rest and relaxation before going off to find a job. You on your own here"

"Well, I was married to a man once for 8 years, then he found a milkmaid with better udders than me.."

"A milkmaid?"

"Yeah, he got her pregnant three times and she was always lactating...."

Jane couldn't help it and cracked out laughing. Mary laughed too.

"So I ain't had a man since since he left. Ain't had a woman either, for that matter, since shortly after. So you can call me a lapsed, non-practicing member of the womanly sex. And if it makes any difference, I'm a lapsed, non-practicing Catholic as well."

Jane smiled ruefully. "I never had my first lover, either man or woman, so I'm not even lapsed. Sort of a not-yet-started woman, you might say. I don't think from university experience that I want a boy in my bed or in my body. Maybe when I'm older I'll meet someone who's a gentleman."

"Well, who knows what might happen. You've still got plenty of growing up to do. You should just take it as it comes, eh? Not that you have to worry about thousands of young men chasing you around here. I need to go shower off the paint and then we can talk. In the cottage, your room is the one on the left at the top of the stairs, mine's the one on the right. So unpack your bags while I clean up."

Jane carried her cases up to her room. It was nice and light and airy, had a small private bathroom, with toilet, shower cabinet and sink, a queen-sized bed and enough furniture. She tested the bed - seemed comfy enough. Jane unpacked her clothes, and had a quick shower, mainly to relax after the driving. She decided to dress for dinner in a light summer dress, flimsy bra and panties, and a pair of white sandals. She ran a comb through her short blonde hair and considered herself as ready as she would ever be.

Mary was already down, preparing for supper. She was wearing khaki shorts and had crammed her breasts into a dark-blue cut-short halter-neck top. Jane looked at her carefully. Mary was actually quite attractive. She looked kind of skinny especially as she was tall - several inches taller than Jane - but not like a bag of bones. She had brushed her grey hair back into a pony-tail, and even put on a little lipstick. Her face had nice skin; smooth and barely any wrinkles, full lips and blue eyes.

Mary looked at Jane, and said "Pretty dress. I like feminine looking girls to paint, they have more facial expressions, and are more willing to follow instructions too. You looked good in your nude pic you sent. Even liked the fact your pussy is trimmed nice."

She poured them each a glass of nicely chilled Chardonnay and ushered Jane out into the garden, where there was a small patio, with table and chairs, that being in the back, the east side of the house, had some shade on it. They had been sitting there for a few minutes when Jane noticed the hens wondering around.

"Free range, my dear" said Mary. "They live as hens should, come and go as they should, eat dirt as they should, and provide my breakfast - and yours - in return, as they should. There's no eagles around here, and no foxes either, so they're pretty well living in hen heaven."

They sat down, and made the 'Cheers' gesture to each other with their glasses. "So what made you want to spend your summer in a lonely spot like this with an old biddy like me, sitting around naked being painted?"

"In one sense, I don't know. In another, I know exactly. Peace and quiet. Recovery from exam stress. Learn to like myself, find myself. Maybe get ready for the real world."

Just then, the old dog from the studio wondered up to Jane, sniffed around her shoes, looked at her with a baleful eye, and then laid down at her feet. Like Mary, his hair was mainly grey, and he obviously had had a lot of younger days already.

"Old Jake likes you, and he's fussy about who he likes. He only likes me 'cos I feed him, but he's decided you're likeable, so you should too. So, question, do you like being naked?"

Jane looked at Mary. What kind of answer was she looking for? How could she answer a question she hadn't really thought about?

"Well, I often used to hang around in my dorm room naked - saved laundry. I never got visitors, so it wasn't a problem. Just hung my robe on the back of the door, in case. Never had experience being naked with a lover of either sex. Not yet, anyhow. No experience being naked in public. Don't know how I would feel at a nudist beach."

"I've painted girls naked on the beaches near here, but hardly anyone other than me goes on them anyway."

"I saw you were painting Jake when I arrived..."

"Yes, that's for me. Jake won't be around much longer, and I wanted to keep him with me at least in the form of a painting. He sleeps so much, he's the perfect model. Only male I would paint, mind."

Mary went on to explain that she had agents in San Francisco, Sydney, Paris and London who sold her output. She created thirty to forty paintings a year - not all nudes - and they typically sold for at least three thousand pounds each, so by the time commissions had been paid, she was comfortable but not rich. After her absconding husband died, she had become sole owner of the farm, and no money was owing on it.

"I wasn't planning on you meeting me covered in paint, I must admit," said Mary, "but at least you've seen the glorious quarters in which I work, ha ha. I must admit, I liked your picture, and the fact it was naked but plain, if you know what I mean. Allowed me to see how sexy you are without ramming it down my throat in some showing off way."

Was this Mary starting to come on to her? mused Jane. "You find me sexy?" Jane asked.

"Sure, you are. Nice tits, not big udders like mine..." Mary laughed. "But I'll let you keep your clothes on until we're in the studio tomorrow. I am curious though. Are you wearing a bra?"

Mary was surprised at the directness of the question. "Yes, but it's a soft flimsy one, don't like hard stiff bras, or ones with wire."

"Thought so. I was watching how your breasts move as you move. I need to try and get that in your pictures. Real breasts, not implants. I've only been doing nudes for about three years or so, and so far had great success with them. I do them just in the summer - the studio is too cold in winter to ask a girl to sit around naked."

"Had many models?"

"You're the fourth, one girl for each season's nudes. Painting imaginary women wasn't successful. The first girl wouldn't let me touch her when I was posing her, but the local boys sure got to enjoy touching her - she was pregnant when she left. Her pictures, believe it or not, made her look like a saint! Second was a slut, out all hours with the few local boys, but her sensuality showed in the paintings and they sold real well, especially in France. Third girl was strange. No personality, never spoke. I gave her more life in my paintings than she gave herself. Some sold."

"In the winter, I paint landscapes or still life, or backgrounds I can put the nudes into later. Sometimes I go to Portugal for part of the winter, to escape the cold and damp."

Standing up to go inside, Mary looked at Jane quizzically. "You're going to think it strange I called you sexy so quickly. You're going to think I'm a dirty old bitch."

Jane stood up too, right in front of Mary, looked her in the eye, and said "Actually, I think you're an interesting older lady." and with that, she gave Mary a quick kiss on the cheek. "You remind me of my grandmother, and she was a wonderful lady."

"Got me classified as an old woman already, have you?" but she was laughing.

"Oh no" said Jane with a smile, "just that my grandmother was a real character, unique unto herself."

Supper was fresh local dover sole with sautéed potatoes, as Mary didn't have a deep fryer. This was followed by a home-made lemon meringue, which Jane loved and had a second piece. "I can see I'm going to put on weight if I'm not careful, if all the meals taste this good. How do you stay so slim?"

"Good genes, I guess, and nervous energy. You into jogging or anything?"

"No, not jogging. Walk when I can, that's all. Swim if I get chance."

"Sea's not too bad down there, tail end of the gulf stream, so it's pleasant enough. Swim down there occasionally myself, but not enough to call it a fitness regime."

They chatted about Jane's time in university. Jane had just completed a four year degree in English Literature, while Mary had spent a year at Art College before deciding to learn by doing it, and had succeeded fairly quickly. She lived in York at that time, and earned her money selling paintings of the streets of York to tourists.

They talked about family. Jane parents were dead - an accident many years before - but she still had a younger sister. There was a trust set up that Jane would get next year when she was 25. Mary had an older married sister, who visited occasionally. Apparently her husband liked to spend his time in the studio watching Mary paint naked girls.

"A real pervert, that one, would have the girls down on the floor if I gave him half a chance. Didn't like it when I told him from now on he can only visit in the winter!"

The more they talked, the more they got to like each other. They laughed easily and often, and before they knew it, it was bedtime. Mary didn't have television and her internet was slow as a result of being on a telephone modem. "Basically only use it for emails," she said. "They're slow. but still faster than the post office."

Jane got into bed naked, as she always did. She hadn't been in bed long before there was a scratching at the door. She opened it to find Jake, who promptly - if his slow labored walk could be called promptly - came in and made himself comfortable on the foot of Jane's bed. Jane got back into bed, leaving the door ajar in case Jake decided to leave. As she settled down to sleeping sharing a bed with a dog, she wondered why she had so spontaneously kissed Mary, albeit only on the cheek. Was it really that her character and independence reminded her of her grandmother, or was it something else, latent in herself?

Meanwhile, the other side of the staircase, Mary was naked in her bed, wondering if she was too old to let someone else into her life? Jane reminded her of herself, before she had married so young. She hadn't had a male in her bed since he left, except Jake, and now he was going to Jane's room! Sign of the times and her advancing years.

She had heard Jake scratching at Jane's door and heard her let Jake in. She also heard that Jane didn't close her door. She didn't mean to say that Jane was sexy. but rather that she found her attractive and hoped to capture that in her paintings.

But she had said what she had said, and inside she also knew that it was true. Jane was sexy in a very innocent, virginal way. She was sexy while being completely unaware of the fact. In a way, it disturbed her that she felt this way about Jane, especially so quickly. However, nothing could come of it, not with 30 years in age between them.

In the morning, Mary heard Jake scratching at her door, wanting to come in. He was used to it always being open. She got out of bed to let him in, and as she turned away from the door to go to her bathroom, she didn't see Jane watching her from her pillows.

Both women bathed and dressed and went downstairs within moments of each other. They decided on a breakfast of poached eggs on toast and coffee.

"These free-range eggs are really different. Much more flavor than the white anemic supermarket ones," said Jane.

"Indeed. There's some work keeping chickens, but the eggs are worth it." After breakfast, Mary prepared some sandwiches with ham, tomato and cheese, and put the food plus fruit in a small cooler, together with a couple of hard boiled eggs.

Mary said, "Today is Tuesday, so the young man from the Grocer's in Harlech will be here this morning. As soon as he pulls up and sees your car, he's going to know my model has arrived, and he will dash into the studio as quick as he can to catch you naked, so we'll fool him."

Mary had Jane put on a full-length under-slip, and then her robe over that. They went across to the studio about 9:30. "Loosen your robe and lower it part way down your arms, like a stole. Hold the front together with your hands and let the top of your slip show a bit. That's it - great. Hold that."

Mary took a big white board and some charcoal, and started to sketch. "I'm just going to do sketches today to get used to your body, proportions, angles, that kind of thing. And looking like that our young visitor is going to be so disappointed."

About 15 minutes later, Jane heard the Grocer's van pull up outside and immediately the door of it slammed, and a young man dashed into the studio. The look on his face when he saw Jane clothed was priceless. As soon as he was on his way, with the groceries delivered, Mary came back into the studio and burst out laughing. "Young men that age are so predictable. Bit of tit and ass around and they have to see it. True what they say - God gave men one brain and one penis, but only enough blood to use one at once!"

Jane laughed. "The ones at university are supposedly smarter, but their brains and penises have exactly the same restriction."

They worked on charcoal sketches all day, several on each white board, most naked. Jane soon learned that Mary worked in sessions of 45 minutes to an hour - during which time she was silent and resisted conversation - followed by a break, a small coffee from a thermos, and chatting nineteen to the dozen. Some breaks had a sandwich or egg, others fruit, so Jane never got hungry, but there was no lunch break as such. Around 4:30, they stopped for the day.

Mary had done about 8 different boards of sketches of Jane and Jane had to admit they were very good. Some were almost photographic and highly detailed with lots of shading, while others more hinted at Jane's sexy body without being explicit. Jane was impressed by how just a few charcoal lines could create a person on the white board.

"You look nice naked." said Mary, as they sat on the patio with wine, a red tempranillo this time. "Some people so stiffen up, they are not sexy. You seemed naturally relaxed. Can see why the boys chased you at Uni. Pity none was worth you letting them catch you."

Jane laughed. "I don't think I am into committing my heart or my body just yet, to anyone, of any sex."

"Well, officially, there's only two to choose from..."