The Billy Goat Hill Pundits Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay. Sara says..."

"Nope! I don't know if that's covered or not, but I'm not taking chances. You people have already screwed, blued, and tattooed me repeatedly, so I'm not taking chances!"

"I understand, Will. I'm asking you to reconsider your custody petition. Sara may have treated you badly, but she's a good mother, and losing the children would kill her!"

Will snorted. "She's a good mother, so she should have custody - is that what I just heard you say? Bullshit! I was a better father than she is mother, and she fucked me over without remorse! She lied her ass off to get custody and deny my visitation rights, and happy ruined my good name in the process! I went from father-of-the-year to a child and wife abuser, so don't try to play on my sympathy - I have zero!

"Besides, from what I've learned, there is and has been a lot of inattention and neglect in that household, going back to the very beginning of her cohabitation with the asshole she took up with while we were married! My investigators have PROOF that MY children have been left with a nanny or with babysitters an unconscionable amount of the time, and that there are rumors her man has actually DONE to MY CHILDREN what I was accused of doing!

"If that's true, she might start looking for new man, and sooner rather than later!"

The sobbing got louder and more agitated; Will listened silently, enjoying the angst, until the sobbing subsided and he heard Sara talking to her mom.

"Will, this is Peggy," she said between gasping breaths. "Is there ANYTHING Sara can do - that we can do - to make things better between us?"

"Have you listened to the album, Peggy?"

"Yes, many times, and it breaks my heart!"

"If the songs break your heart, consider how the events affected the songwriter! Think you can fix that broken heart? Think you can make that right? No? Then hand the phone back to Dad."

"Take if off speaker, Dad." "I did, Son."

"Don't offer them false hope - they unleashed this upon themselves - them, the Smithermans, and their kin! I loved their daughter and did my best as an employee - they rewarded me by trying to destroy me!

"Fuck her, fuck them, and fuck every single person who played a role in it! I set out to destroy the whole damn bunch, and there isn't a damn thing they or anyone else can do to stop me!

"If you get to feeling weak, just remember that they denied your rights as grandparents too!"

"I understand, Will, but believe me, Son - the pain is widespread, it is deep, and there is more to the story than you know. One thing is for certain: however the court cases go, this is already a very different community!"

"Good! That's my intention!"

"Let us talk to them a little more. I think Sara now understands the depth of your anger, and she definitely sees the chickens coming home to roost. Maybe we can expedite your access to your children without waiting for the courts."

"Maybe, but don't promise them anything from me, because I'm unforgiving and relentless! There will be blood, and it won't be me or my parents bleeding - this time!"

****

Sara didn't get a chance to lift the restraining order; Will's sharks, the threat of judicial review, and rising public pressure "influenced" Judge Smitherman to recuse himself from all cases involving his kin, through blood or marriage.

The replacement judge was from the "subject to assignment" list maintained by the State of Texas. He had recently retired from a contiguous district at the ripe age of 62, he was well aware of the shenanigans in Cow County long before Will's songs topped the chart, and he moved quickly upon assuming duty.

After scheduling a preliminary hearing on Will's request to have the restraining order lifted, he compelled Child Protective Services (CPS) to reopen the case and re-interview all witnesses.

Faced with a subpoena, media assault, and the mounting public anger generated by the album, Clara Jones, the social worker who determined Will was an unfit parent, resigned and went into hiding.

The young woman who assumed her position at CPS wasted no time before interviewing the children and their mother. The children repeated all the wonderful things they said about their father the first time they were interviewed. When questioned about life without Dad, they provided disturbing information about their treatment by their new "stepdad", and about the ways in which their mother had changed since she left Daddy.

When San Juana Ortiz entered the interview room, Mom felt trapped between a granite ledge and an encroaching bulldozer; this woman had known her since childhood, and Sara had not treated her the way she now wished she had.

San Juana was not a cousin; if she repeated her previous lies, she was certain the children, their closest friends, the friends of their children, and probably both sets of parents would contradict them, and San Juana would report that to the new judge... who was not Donny's uncle.

If proven she lied under oath, there was no doubt Will would get full custody, and she would find herself in the position in which she had put him - locked out of the lives of their children, and facing jail time.

If she continued to lie and Will won anyway, she knew he would keep the children from her in retaliation; 'so damned if you do, damned if you don't', she told herself..

She equivocated, blithered, and obfuscated until the caseworker tired of the drivel and directly asked, "Are you recanting your previous statement, Mrs. Smitherman? Because nowhere in what you just said do I hear the accusation of physical, mental, and emotional abuse that is so clear in your previous statement."

She tried a different tact: "That was a very difficult time. I was torn between my old and new loves so I took medication to help control my anxiety and the medications kept me in a confused state. I don't remember much about the interview where I supposedly made such accusations, but I remember I was told to simply answer yes or no, and Donny would nod or shake his head to show how I should answer."

"Allow me to seek clarification, Mrs. Smitherman. At this time, without the influence of confusing medications or third-party guidance on how to answer, please describe the times when your former husband, William Callaghan, physically abused you and/or your children.

"Before you answer, I should warn you that I have access to both hospital and medical clinic records, and will verify your assertions."

Sara pretended to be deeply considering the question, but, in fact, was deeply considering what answer would be least likely to get her in deeper trouble.

Finally, she capitulated. "I cannot. I don't know how Clara arrived at that conclusion, but I don't remember Will ever raising a hand to me or the children."

Mrs. Ortiz sighed. "Then please describe the times and circumstances in which Mr. Callaghan 'emotionally abused and mentally tortured' you and/or your children, Mrs. Smitherman, as alleged in your previous interview with Clara Jones."

Sara again concentrated on how to best cover her previous lies, and again settled on the 'dazed and confused, fed misleading questions by Clara, and controlled by Donny' alibi.

Mrs. Ortiz had known Sara and Will their whole lives and she had three children of her own, the oldest of whom Will coached in Tee Ball. Sara noted that she did not appear convinced or sympathetic.

"I've known you my entire life, Sara - Mrs. Smitherman, and I have a hard time seeing you as some 'dazed and confused, submissive woman' whose lover dictates her responses when questioned about whether her husband is abusing her and her children. You've always been a conniving... a strong woman who planned every detail.

Want to try again... I mean, do you want to add anything to THIS statement? After all, you are absolving your husband - ex-husband - of any wrongdoing - is that your intention?"

With a hint of defiance on her pretty face and more than a glint in her eyes, Sara replied, "No, I have nothing to add. I've told you what I remember now."

San Juana Ortiz rose, shook hands with the practiced liar in front of her, gave her a quick, hard-eyed look of disdain, covered it with a fake smile, and said, "The judge has asked that I inform him of my findings as soon as my report is prepared; that will occur tomorrow at ten. If you think of anything you want to add or change, let me know by 8 am. Otherwise, I'll see you in court!"

The last bit was added with emphasis, and Sara knew only too well what it meant; she was going to lose the children to her ex, and she might be charged with filing a false report of domestic violence!

Perhaps Will getting the kids wasn't such a bad thing, Sara thought. As Donny became more involved in politics, they became more socially active on the area and state levels, which meant leaving the kids for extended periods of time with her parents.

They were happy to be with their grandchildren, but complained that her absences were so often and so long they approached neglect. That made her feel guilty, but not guilty enough to stop going to all the exciting events with Donny, so she found a couple of babysitters who would do an overnight or even two days, if paid enough.

She knew they did very little beyond supervise the children and feed them junk food that was delivered, but, even worse, they certainly were not averse to spreading stories.

'Oh well - Will always was the better parent', she reminded herself with a sigh, 'and he will have both sets of grandparents available to take care of them when he's performing. My parents respect and like him more than they do me, and I know he'll let them back into his life sooner or later.'

'Donny resents raising Will's kids anyway, so he will be happy about them being with Will. I'll miss them, but I'll have more time to go places with Donny, so it balances.'

That she hadn't realized their social invitations were drying up as fast as Donny's political ambitions spoke volumes about the fairy tale world in which Sara dwelled.

She wasn't the only one living in the Enchanted Forest; the power structure of the city and county dwelled there, certain they were safe from outsiders, fairness, and justice. Then an obscure new band publishes an album, releases videos, and the leaves suddenly fall off the trees in which they were blissfully residing while enjoying the obeisance of their serfs!

When the covering leaves fell as in a late-fall windstorm, Karma found them.

Sheriff Alderman already had an opponent in the March primary. Juan Garcia was a local boy who had recently retired after a 20-year career in the Army Military Police. He had served three tours in combat zones before returning to teach at the USAMPS academy at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo, and had recently moved home to help his aging parents.

It was common knowledge that L.E.O. was about the corrupt sheriff and several of his deputies; it was also common knowledge that Juan was going to win the election in a landslide.

The 65-year-old judge also found himself with an opponent in the primaries: a local woman with an undergraduate degree from Texas A&M, a law degree from UT, nine years' experience as an assistant district attorney in San Antonio, and eight years of private practice in Pleasanton.

Married to a Family Primary Care MD who also practices in Pleasanton, they have four children; two boys and two girls. The children are exceptional scholars and athletes who have garnered many awards, including all-district in sports and Academic All-State honors.

Since the judicial district includes Atascosa County as well as Cow County, Judge Smitherman's tenure appeared to be in dire jeopardy. Candidate Sylvia Cardenas was expected to carry heavily populated Atascosa County, where they lived, quite easily. The rising resentment against the Smithermans, including the judge, and the news that Sylvia and her husband were buying a ranch just west of Cowtown was further assurance she would easily carry Cow County as well.

After all, corrupt Judge Smitherman had been exposed by Will, and legally forced to step away from any case in which he had a conflict of interest by Will's lawyers. His well-deserved image as a remorseless tyrant had kept 'la raza' (the people/ community/ race) under the thumb of the ruling tyrants for decades, but the big bad wolves suddenly frightened no one.

The county judge, a good ol' boy who went along to get along, had drawn a well-liked and well-known opponent: Tim Garza! Timbo had already garnered the endorsement of two local celebrities, and their band had created three different jingles in his support.

The two county commissioners up for reelection also drew opponents without affiliation to the power structure, and Sierra Garza, Tim's wife, announced she was running for Tax Assessor-Collector against a Smitherman sycophant widely suspected of favoritism in taxation, and of embezzlement of public funds. Sierra's potent jingles were reminiscent of 'Plutocracy' and similar songs from the first BGH Pundits album.

A large San Antonio credit union announced it would open a branch in Cowtown, to be located in the remodeled Ag Production Credit building, on January 15. The many that had been bent over the barrel by the local bank, owned by the Smitherman family, celebrated at having a choice, and when the new FCU promised it would refinance existing loans and offer low-interest loans and mortgages, the many disaffected made preparations to change banks.

Two days later, International Trade Logistics (ITL) announced it was breaking ground on a large distribution center just across the highway from good old Cowtown, and began advertising jobs. The advertised pay was twice the going rate for the community, at every level from trainee to manager. They also offered paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, as well as free day care for employees. Training opportunities leading to advancement were promised to ambitious employees with good work records.

For a pair of working parents, the benefits of going to work at ITL amounted to a doubling of pay.

Between the burgeoning oilfield and ITL, the citizens of Cowtown had never before had employment opportunities like these, and they filled out the on-line applications in droves.

With a limited labor market, a great number of the low-paid, exploitive jobs would be vacated, meaning some businesses, and possibly one or both of the Smitherman plants, would close unless they got competitive in pay and benefits. Even if they did, most would seek a fresh start and a culture untainted by the callous disregard for employees that characterized the Smithermans' businesses, and the plant managed by the scion seemed to have been directly targeted in the ITL advertisements.

At about the same time, IRS auditors showed interest in its tax returns, and those of its manager. Donny-boy the Fourth was sweating bullets, and he, like the other members of the plutocracy, was being undone by his own arrogant actions.

****

While the wheels of justice slowly turned, the BGH Pundits practiced, played in dancehalls around south and central Texas, and recorded their third album. Every song on it had been debuted in one venue or another and the crowd responses convinced them this album would be the breakthrough commercial hit for which they had hoped, planned, and worked.

The final lyrics were the result of collaboration among Lila, Lina, and Will, with occasional input from Woody. The arrangements were a group effort, with considerable input from Gary and Danny, and the videos in development were largely the visions of their tech team and manager. The musical talents of the band did not necessarily translate to understanding their fans, and certainly did not translate to the use of computer-generated graphics, imagery, animation, or pretty much anything else the youngsters discussed and used with ease.

The dissimilar roots of the band members resulted in a diversity of genres that was unlike any they, their manager, or the producer could recollect on a single album. Lila's folk roots, Lina's blues and bluegrass, Danny's southern rock, Gary's weird combination of 1950s traditional and 1970s outlaw country, Woody's Red Dirt country, and Will's western storytelling were all well represented among the sixteen tracks.

"Soar" was about as far from their 'concept' first album as you can get. Its miscellany gave the musicians opportunities to showcase their musical prowess on a wide variety of instruments, so the melodies caught your ear and made you stop and listen. The lyrics of every song were tight, powerful and memorable!

They could hardly wait for the early spring release of "The BGH Pundits Soar!"

The successes of their self-titled first album and of 'Unfettered' had drawn attention, praise, and audiences, but word spread like wildfire after the songs on 'Soar' were introduced during their shows.

The music industry is wide and deep, yet interconnected. What happened in Texas dancehalls and concerts was not usually of great concern to the music moguls in Nashville and Los Angeles, but the fanatical enthusiasm of fans, as expressed on social media, at the ticket offices, and in recording and merchandise sales, caught their collective attention.

When reps of major labels come calling on a regional band at a ranch in McMullen County, you know they are truly interested. While appreciating the interest and the promises, the Pundits retained their cool; they weren't sure they wanted or needed the oversight that goes with those big contracts.

If they signed, there would be no more 'concept' albums, nor would they be free to explore the musical limits that, ironically, were the reason the major labels made their way down into the Brush Country in the first place. Based on Woody's experience and that of many others, most labels would shoehorn them into an established avenue of success, and they would make the music the label wanted the way they wanted it made. That was not attractive to a single member of the band, but for Woody it was Nightmare in Nashville, part 2.

And so he took special delight in bedeviling his old label, and they strung the big boys along for a while before having their manager inform them that, in this day and age of digital, the band did not feel there was enough benefit derived for the control they had to cede and the revenue split.

They were taking a big chance - two birds in the brush for the bird offered. Yes, their rejection of the offered path might result in the band members becoming rich and famous and remaining that way for a long while. Conversely, if their new path failed, they could see themselves with a strong regional, maybe statewide, following, and able to make a decent living while continuing to make and play whatever kind of music they felt like.

That pathway wasn't so bad either - each already had more money than she/he had ever dreamed of having, with plenty of money still flowing - and they were having fun!

****

Although it took considerable time for the justice system to reach William Andrew Callaghan's lawsuits against his former wife and her new mate, it didn't take long for the system to address the restraining order against Mr. Callaghan. The judge dismissed the order, chastised the original social worker and her superiors for the poor quality of her investigation, intimated that it may have been purposeful, and suggested the district attorney look into her actions.

He also questioned the actions of the sheriff, the veracity of Mrs. Callaghan and Mr. Donald Bradley Smitherman in their sworn statements, and the flawed decisions of the judge, who, at a minimum, should have recused himself. All concerns were forward to the DA for investigation and possible prosecution.

Judge Adams did allow Mrs. Callaghan to retain primary custody, in the family home, pending the divorce hearing. However, he awarded liberal, unsupervised visitation rights to Mr. Callaghan, effective immediately, and ordered the parents to work out the schedule, or he would.