All Comments on 'The Blue Roan'

by Harddaysknight

Sort by:
  • 100 Comments
BigJohn601BigJohn601over 6 years ago
Always good to read a HDK story....

and this is no exception...Thanks. Now when are we getting the latest installment of LnR?

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Another good HDK story but I would have liked more punishment for the Winters

It was hinted at that the Winters were stealing the profits of the ranch. It would have been great if they had gone to prison for that or were shot by Blue defending his new wife and her family.

Like Big John, and many others, I am eagerly waiting for more of LiR.

jetpacksamjetpacksamover 6 years ago
Liked it with a caveat. Thank you.

Ended Too Fast IMO

oshawoshawover 6 years ago

Wow! Not only do you have the best stories in LW, the greatest series in the Lady In Red, and you top it off with this fantastic western. If you ever decide to end the LiR series, please think of doing a sequel to this story!

oshaw

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Love your work...

So nice to see any story from HDK and we thank you again for a classic.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent for free here on Lit.

C

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Very good story, but I would rate it at two stars because this took time away from LIR story. Is the LIT site not publishing as fast as you can write to increase the number of hits from readers looking for more LIR stories. At one time you were doing three or more chapters per month of LIR,8ED1

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Fun Western

Thanks for "The Blue Roan". I have read "In My Life" too. Do you have any other Westerns posted.

It is good to see you still write things besides "Lady In Red". I love reading LIR but I don't want to see you constrained and burned out. Blue Roan is quite a different story. Thanks for showing your creativity and storytelling skills.

swedishreader1swedishreader1over 6 years ago
Took a while to get into it.

But in the end HDK delivers again, a really good story.

5*

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 6 years ago
I see how it is going to be

After making 24,387 corrections to HDK's story, I am still going to be blamed for the multitude of mistakes contained therein:-).

Just kidding. There are no mistakes, and, as expected, a masterful story from the master, himself. As always, you do not disappoint, my friend. Thank you. You will always be my guy. Love you, Randi.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 6 years ago
HDK you missed your calling

You should be writing the bodice-ripping dime store romance novels. Your dialogue is probably better than theirs and your plots are probably more fun and interesting. Didn't see the twist of the cold creek or Will defending Blue at the trial coming. Would have liked an epilogue - how many rug rats do they manage to push out?

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Should

have been in Humour & Satire but even then a 2 would have been too complimentary.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Thats a ***** romantic western to me

Ok, short on gun porn and excessive violence - but otherwise long on romance, which is not by accident the focus category. In addition, quite a convincing setup for a late 19th century Western. In short: Excellent plot, character and relationship dynamics. And its both a quite long story and not boring at all ;-)

Wish I could write fiction that well ;-) Know to stick to my core competences and remain a reader – and sometime critic ;-)

Really do not understand how anyone can object – could you elaborate, please?

Dear Harddaysknight, would love to read more from You.

Thank You for a good time and Best Wishes to You,

Simon

jab5966jab5966over 6 years ago

Enjoyed the story and the plot.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great

Redheads will always get you in the end. As good as your last Western, In My Life.

Boyd Percy

JMH1961JMH1961over 6 years ago
Just another fan

HDK, Thank you for another great read, you never disappoint.

TailakaTailakaover 6 years ago
Well done story!

An authentic feel. Well written characters and relationships between them. 7 pages certainly didn't feel too long. My ONLY criticism is: the Bar M is said to be under- performing and that Beef prices are very high right now. SO.....is the Bar M just being incompetently run or are the Winters embezzling from the ranch???

amyyumamyyumover 6 years ago
HDK, you old softy you --

I never figured you for the romantic type, but you did really well in this category. I gave it a 5. Please, however, return to the funny degenerate that you usually are and post your next story in Loving Wives, because next time I might have to gag on your lovey-dovey stuff!

Cheers, Amy

xtchrxtchrover 6 years ago
What A Day!

As you can tell by the date, I'm still not finished with the Wild West Stories.

What I can say is that they keep getting better and better. As I said in another comment, I should have just written my adjectives - fantastic, entertaining, exciting, enjoyable, imaginative, etc.- and cut and pasted them in just about every story that I read so far.

Thank you for participating in such a wonderful day and for such a very fantastic, entertaining, exciting, enjoyable, imaginative and humorous story.

Crusader235Crusader235over 6 years ago
Makings

Excellent story, with all the makings of a Hallmark movie! I'm not sure if Hallmark would show Christine being naked in top of Blue in the line shack though. Get the screen play ready HDK. 5 Stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Editor

You made a mistake. At one point the author called Will Ben and you did not correct it. Other than that very good I gave it four stars as I am a hard rater.

calgarycamperscalgarycampersover 6 years ago
Damn

Great story, good dialogue and wonderful twists. One of my new favorites.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Great story, well worth a delay of LiR 3:7! I'm also longing for a LW fantasy...

bruce22bruce22over 6 years ago
Probably one of the Best Westerns on here

My personal view is that HDK should offer this prescript to Netflix, then we can see all of Christine. They should have put the father and son in jail for robbery. Where else would they get the money to offer for the Bar M?

foolscapfoolscapover 6 years ago
Great story with a tenuous thread holding it together...

"handful

noun

1 a handful of bad apples: a few, a small number of, a small amount of, a small quantity of, one or two, some, not many, a scattering of, a trickle of.

2 informal the child is a real handful: nuisance, problem, bother, irritant, thorn in someone's flesh/side; informal pest, headache, pain, pain in the neck, pain in the butt."

I did my best to find a usage of the phrase "she's a handful" that was based on the size of a woman's breasts and came up short. Probably my failing. It wouldn't have bothered me but it is the thread that runs through the entire story and it seems kinda contrived. That said I will re-read and read again this offering and enjoy it.

Thanks for the fun.

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 6 years ago
Another HDK Very nice story

Excellent characterization with a good plot. I thought an embezzlement angle would crop up to explain the continued losses while other ranches were profitable.

I agree that the ending was quite sudden. I like a good western ending with the happy couple riding off into the sunset.

Thank you for a very nice read.

pcthronepcthroneover 6 years ago
3* read the comment below

Stiry was great but the ending was very rushed,seems the author head a very hot date with a copper head woman to funiah it in such a hurry.I was expecting a little bit more drama and maybe the stiry could be continued for one more page.

Anyways nice writing but please don't finish your stories in such a rush.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
This is the sixth story of the Westerns I've read

After reading each one, I've thought to myself, this is one of the best stories I've ever read. I had the same thought here.

I can't believe how entertaining these stories have been. Randi obviously has an eye for talent. This is just how I imagine the men and women of the West would act and talk. Just a great, great story. Thank you, sir. Thank you Randi, thank you Literotica and all these great writers. Christmas has come early.

InsigniaInsigniaover 6 years ago
More than a mouth full is a waste

The line bogged down a bit and the ending had a Paint Your Wagon kind of feel to it. Rustic, hokey, melodramatic. It was great. Its a western that entertains fully. The one flaw that keeps bugging me is why these good people of Bonnett dont question Christine's continued presence. Not one nosey neighbor in the whole lot of them.

Easily 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Impressive

Impressive. Great characters and dialogue, (actually did have me lol). Story was a movie in my mind. TY

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 6 years ago
Thoughts

@foolscap - I thought Blue was MAINLY using "she's a handful" in the sense of your second definition, with a wink at a handful of breast, and she chose to concentrate on the latter.

LOL, she laughs at the women thinking that she would be interested in any of the men in town, and was happy that Blue didn't sit with her, but as soon as he sat with the other women got jealous!

I'm only on Page 4, but if she and Blue got married they could merge the ranches and all property disputes would be moot!

"There's no sense tiring out a good horse for a meaningless race." - She has no comment on his shallowness?

Why would people think she was a common whore when she tells them exactly what happened? Not to mention that she's leaving Blue to the mercy of the court!

"I'll tell you right now that I didn't shoot Luke Winters" - We're not being told at this point, but I HAVE to believe he tells Will the story, and because of what Christine told him Will knows that it's true.

I can't believe what an idiot she is! He's worried about going to jail NOT because he doesn't trust her to tell the truth, but because he'd never ruin her reputation by saying what happened.

LOL, looks like I was right back on Page 4.

Despite my criticisms, a very fine story, five stars!

arrowglassarrowglassover 6 years ago
Another really good one!

Really into these stories by my very favorite authors and they way they have been written! A sure winner for the readers!!!!!!

Sniper014Sniper014over 6 years ago
Great story

Just finished Randi's story and an waiting for thé net capter. She night release it after betting sou around the head ans shoulders about station that all the mistakes are hers. Hou aie all great writers and i an waiting for thé next capter of Lady in Red.

Jeep up thé grenat work. Just viking about Randi beat up on you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
christine's character

One minute she is certain Blue will tell everyone about her actions in cabin publicly branding her a slut because he is a worthless cad. She decides to go back East.

Next minute she thinks he is the lowest form of worm because she is certain he does not believe she has integrity...

I get the picture she is beyond beautiful with huge breasts and is intelligent and can be charming. However over and over until very end she makes narcissists seem humble and charitable.

Plus she is rich and does correct thing in end but that will be tempestuous marriage with her digging her spurs in now that he has been branded.

As a lifelong resident of the Mountain West, I say ship the Eastererns home, And have Blue marry June.

Hang Luke and Les along with anybody from California that drops in for vacation.

jeh2ndjeh2ndover 6 years ago
taking a break

It's been four years since you started "Lady in Red" and its not finished yet. I'm waiting anxiously for the next chapter. But I understand your need for a break from it. Please don't stop writing regardless of what it is. I love your work.

Pappy7Pappy7over 6 years ago
Good try,

didn't like it all that much but please keep writing I really like most of your stuff.

fisheronefisheroneover 6 years ago
Great stuff

I thought you did a great job without any vulgarity

xtremeddxtremeddover 6 years ago
Yep..... another new Western Classic.

Thanks for sharing your hard work on Lit!

x

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Something Different

Good story. Maybe you could continue the saga like The Lady In Red. Waiting eagerly for the next installment on that one. Thanks for the great stories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Good story

Your western genre stories are better than the others. I hope to see more good westerns from you.

FeyGranddad95FeyGranddad95over 5 years ago
What A Hoot!

This story was just plain fun. Fast-paced, funny, and as already noted, clean. I am a huge fan of Lady in Red and more chapters of this would be fun but it does stand on its own very well. Don't get too distracted from LIR; it's already been overly long since we had a new chapter.

TalonsreachTalonsreachover 5 years ago
Yet another HDK masterpiece

Nice job!

I have loved westerns for a long, long time. This story reminds me of the Louis L'amour books I treasured as a kid. I actually had a chance to meet Mr. L'amour briefly after he spoke to aspiring writers at the University I attended. Sadly, while I did not share his passion for writing I was fascinated with all of his books and those like them and so, though a science major, I did sneak in to listen to a legend.

His works always followed a central theme. He always tried to get into his books the sense of duty and to doing things right, no matter how difficult. To Mr. L'amour, honor and duty were what made the difference between real men (and real women) and the pretenders. In that respect, while a little more risque than what he wrote in his westerns, I believe Mr. L'Amour would have enjoyed this story very much. Again, well done to HDK.

ranec1ranec1over 5 years ago
Mean As!!

Chur bro awsum story

rfnks2002rfnks2002about 5 years ago

Your on a roll keep it going.

EPDSREPDSRabout 5 years ago
A Good Western

I can honestly say that I have never been a fan of western literature. In fact I have only ever been able to read two stores to completion and the have both been authored by you and both were by you and of 5 star quality. I thank you for your great writing! Thoroughly enjoy both.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
I gave it two stars.

The well written the plot was thin. Rather than disguise her identity, she could’ve found out what she needed to know just by looking at the books at the ranch. There was no need to continue with her charade after seeing the little boy’s rescue. As owner of the M Ranch she could’ve simply entered into honorable negotiations with the lazy R ranch.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Sorry

You have more than one romance story and just as good.

After all like your other romance story it's just a great light read.

Five stars and PLEASE KEEP WRITING ROMANCE you have talent and take no notice of people who want serious stories, just keep them interesting and light.

All the best Chris from Cornwall UK again.

oldpoet451oldpoet451over 4 years ago
To Anonymous 06/05/19 I gave it two stars:

You obviously no nothing about fictional writing.

Notice the word "fictional", as in the author uses all sorts of plot devices to tell a "fictional story".

In fictional writing you use "plot devices" to move the story along. Devices such as--disguise her identity while investigating the situation (done all the time in all kinds of writing); the little boy’s rescue (which adds drama while allowing us--and Christine--to see the true colors of Luke Winters.

This was an excellent example of a fictional short story from the old west, in the great tradition of western writers such as Zane Gray and Louis L'Amour. Thank you HDK!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
To anonymous twat whom awarded only 2 stars?!

Only 2 stars ffs?! This storey was bloody brilliant! It was in the style of Louis Lamour, an author not many may know nowadays. If ‘2 stars’ is able to offer a ridiculous rating for a story, perhaps you should offer your time to attempt a fictional story for us all to critique? ‘ 2 stars’ your comments were petty and not worth the authors consideration!

Please keep your petty comments to yourself!

I may also have posted my comments anonymously, but if I was going to criticise someone’s writing I would certainly not hide my ID like a cowering scared petulant child!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great story

It ended way too soon. This could be made into a novella with multiple storylines, following several relationships.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Sweet story

But it read really fast. I think the author would be able to spend a lot of time on this story and add in much more detail. Some fine tuning with grammar would be helpful too, but this story has a good framework and storyline.

However, I would have like Christine to be a little more self sufficient, it seemed out of character for her to mope around and let her brother take care of things for her after the rain-in.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Oh my, I accidentally rated this story 4 stars...

when I meant to rate it 5!

Thanks for the great story, but I wish it could have been ...much, much longer with so many more details and characters introduced.

Again, my apologies for the 4-star rating.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Sweet story!

Dearest Harddaysknight,

Great work! These days of self quarantine and social distancing have left me looking for reading fare such as this sweet little romance. Again, great job. Thank you for bringing entertainment into my life.

GG

fuzzy94fuzzy94over 3 years ago
STILL 5 STARS

Third read and still feels great reading it. Any future follow-ups similar to this genre?

5 stars all the way

SELSTIMSELSTIMover 3 years ago
Leave Them Wanting More

Excellent Tale, as usual. I too, would love to read more about these endearing characters and their descendants in the quaint town of Bonnet. I hear the railroad has plans of skirting the mountain laying tracks right through the cattle ranch previously known as the Bar M and the Lazy R, citing eminent domain. And if you think June and Christine were beautiful and headstrong you have to meet their daughters. Thank you for a very entertaining story. ENCORE! ENCORE!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Five stars

Very nice tale. It reminds me Zane Grey ones...

penneydog55penneydog55over 3 years ago

Brilliant!!!

Loved it from start to finish...

Thanks to HDK! Well Done! ☆☆☆☆☆

peter944peter944over 3 years ago

A well drawn story and great characters, I would hope you consider carrying on the tale.

Omart57Omart57about 3 years ago
A wonderful tale HDK!

You definitely have a strong knack for writing this genre! Thank You for this great story!

NitpicNitpicabout 3 years ago
Good

Very good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

What a great and wonderful story you have a gift for this type of story keep writing

iseeyoufly1964iseeyoufly1964over 2 years ago

Very good story, I haven't read one like that in a very long time...5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

GREAT STORY!!! Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Play it again Sam.

I read this story when it first came out, now after I’ve read it again, it’s as good if not better the second time around.

Thanks, KS

Oldsofty1961Oldsofty1961over 2 years ago

good story ended to fast 5

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

SUCH A STUPID SILLY COURT DRAMA 🤣🤣

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

🤣🤣🤣🤣 an absolute shit show

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyabout 2 years ago

Nice sweet story. Reminds me of some tv westerns. A good entertaining read. Thank-you

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 2 years ago

like all the double entre dialogue. would have been better to leave out the shooting and find out that Winters dug a channel to move the stream. although, then Christine and Blue wouldn't have to admit to the night.

RanDog025RanDog025about 2 years ago

I didn't know that I had read this until the last page and there are 5 Orange stars lit up, I love Westerns! I own every book Louis L'Amour wrote. Hard Bound, Leather Bound Collectors Editions, Paper Backs and his short stories. J.T. Edsons Floating Brand also! This story is short but just as much enjoyable! Thank you. Worth every bit of 25 stars!

The_Sheppards_CorrectionThe_Sheppards_Correctionabout 2 years ago

My 3rd read and still, knowing the ending, loved every word. Well done! Finn

Ginger630Ginger630almost 2 years ago

Just like your other stories, you start strong, but then finishes weak. There’s no love scene. They don’t even kiss! They fall in love and marry immediately. It’s like you got bored halfway through and just decided to finish the story quickly. This should be under non-erotic.

Ravey19Ravey19almost 2 years ago

Loved the build up but found the last judgement a little lacking but may be the correct one to have to been made. A lovely sweet love affair.

Pjam1968Pjam1968almost 2 years ago

Why does this author always rouch at the end

DogmancyprusDogmancyprusalmost 2 years ago

As usual a great story, even though you could see what was coming, an excellent piece of writing which didn't need to be trashed with any graphic sex as so many of the writer do causing one to skip any sex scenes in order to enjoy the story. 25 stars if it were possible.

DuncanitaDuncanitaalmost 2 years ago

Strong beginning, weak and rough ending... could have been s stronger finish...

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I love a srory placed in the old west and this one was a great read.

SkibumSkibumover 1 year ago
I love western stories

I love a good western. I grew up reading Zane Grey and Louis L’Amour. I’m also a big fan of HDK and have been since I discovered Literotica over 20 years ago. This story was engaging and fun, and I was able to suspend disbelief to get around a few anachronistic elements (Nevada has been a state since 1864, the term “boob” for a woman’s breast is a 20th Century development, nine days from Virginia to Nevada was impossible until after the Union Pacific was completed in 1869), but most westerns contain anachronisms. This was a great story all around.

NitpicNitpicover 1 year ago
Decent

Decent story,though I thought the ending seemed a bit rushed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Such a sweet, sweet Romance with a the characteristics of Romance. 5+++

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I’ve enjoyed pretty much all your stories, this one and the civil war one are two of my favorites.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I have read a few stories by HDK now and i hate his female leads. They're ridiculous melodramatic caricatures!

rbloch66rbloch66over 1 year ago

A wonderful story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I have read a number of the stories by HDK and I have to say I like most of them the endings however usually suck and drag the rest of the story down.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

An enjoyable story, well done. It is a fictional story taking place in the old west, anything can happen for all you critics. 5*****

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxabout 1 year ago

VERY VERY VERY good tale. WELL DONE!! Kudos big time! Perfect story in my opinion.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 1 year ago

I'm reading some of your older stories. Not counting your stories with multiple chapters, this may be the highest rated story. It was a great one!

5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

great story but would have loved to hear the blow by blow of what went on later that night!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Dude, you wrote that entire story just to drop that last “strawberry roan” line? The story was impressive, especially the dialogue.

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICabout 1 year ago

Cute story. i loved it. Being that I’m old enough to remember watching Gunsmoke and Bonanza in the early 70’s, I can picture what it could of looked like while reading this story. It put a smile on my face. Thank you Harddaysknight for writing a well written story.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

You need to write more Western Stories.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Another good read, thanks HDK...!

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Just had one of my previously held understandings corrected by a throw-away line in this story.... apparently a "flight risk" has nothing to do with airplanes! :D

SkibumSkibum9 months ago
Anachronisms

Loved this story by one of my favorite authors, but, unfortunately, I have a compulsive need to point out anachronisms in Western stories. Throughout this one, Nevada is referred to as a territory. Nevada became a state in 1864, while the Civil War was still in progress. It’s highly unlikely that a family from Virginia (which was in rebellion at the time) would be traveling to Nevada to take possession of a cattle ranch. As written, the story has more of a feel of the later period of the old West, 1890s or early 1900s.

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker8 months ago

Nice one.. Again!!! 👍👍👍👍😉😁🤷🤣♥️💯

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Really great story. Very well written. The ending felt a little bit rushed to me but other than that it was very entertaining and well worth 5 stars. BardnotBard

tsgtcapttsgtcapt3 months ago

Most excellent!! Must read this one to my wife! Thank you!!!

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

All this cuck writer's female characters are bitches

AnonymousAnonymous25 days ago

All in all, great winner! Thank you HDK!

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker21 days ago

I must like this one.. 3rd x.. 😉🤷🤷👍👍👍😁💯💯😆👁️👁️🙋🙋

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userHarddaysknight@Harddaysknight
I enjoy comments and seldom delete them. Writing is a pleasure for me. Reading comments, even negative comments, is a perverse pleasure. I thank Lit for providing a free forum to showcase my vast talent. Writing is recreation and fun for me. I am simply making shit up as I g...

SIMILAR Stories