All Comments on 'The Boy in Makeup'

by DavidPatrick

Sort by:
  • 51 Comments
BabydaddyBabydaddyover 8 years ago
Fabulous

For so many reasons. Totally worth the wait. So tender. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wonderful *****

You always make me cry!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Dammit

My happy ending broke

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

Your stories are just so real. I love them. I would love to see more from Eric. Maybe he ends up with Evans? I would also love to read more of Evans story. I hope he gets a happy ending even if it isn't with Eric.

Your stories and characters are just so beautifully created. I can't laud you enough

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
are these true?

Most of ur stories do not end well for the protagonist. Either your thinking let's u only imagine a bad ending or they are true stories that didn't end well. What is it? Don't u spend a happy life with a man or are u mourning thinking about ur 1980's relationships.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

I really just love all your stories. They are so real, things don't always work out the way we hope and you have such a knack for expressing the emotion of a situation and not just the facts. It would be interesting to see what happens in the future for Eric. And what ever happened to Evans.

Love it as usual :)

DavidPatrickDavidPatrickover 8 years agoAuthor
Author Note

As for the ending, I don't think most "first loves" end happily for 18 year olds, whether they are gay, straight, or flexible. To me, this ending was "happy"; Eric realized Steve was not and would not be enough.

As for Eric and Evans and Steve and the others, I've already jotted down ideas for Part II and Part III.

As for me, I have a happy ending. But, a lot of unhappy endings preceded it, which is almost always the case.

Thank you all for your comments.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

Wonderfull story, even with the ending! I really hope you are going to write and publish a sequel. I think Cupcake and Evans would be on a more equal level when it comes to the future of a relationship!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Amazing

I was spellbound by this story. I really think it should be published, there are may teenagers who would benefit from reading this story. I am a white woman in her 40's, and it helped me. I struggle with depression and have two friends who lost mothers to suicide and two other friends who lost brothers to suicide. It is hard sometimes to remember life only goes on if you are still living. Sometimes living is being true to yourself. It took me 26 years to be true to myself and leave an abusive marriage. I still struggle at times, reading helps me. Stories about others "making the climb" help me. Just wanted you to know this story is very touching, truthful, cathartic and should be read by all the teenagers out there, male, female, straight or gay.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wow

I love your stories. This one has to be my favorite, because all I can say is wow. I really really loved this story. I'm a 20 year old female college student and I read gay stories to help my understand what my cousin could be going through or be thinking. I have to say your story has helped me lot and I agree this should published because this can help so many young men and people in general.

BabydaddyBabydaddyover 8 years ago
One more thing:

Is it weird to say I wanna be your "best friend" because we are the same exact age ( I presume based on your characters and your references) and I loved the music you loved (upstairs at eric's, the best) and because your protagonist is so lovely and flawed and self-reflective? I know, that's so internetty and weird. Sigh.

PS thx for pointing out that not many of us met the love of our life at 18. I thought the ending was perfect.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Denison

Did you go to Denison? Me, too! It was so fun getting to that part after already loving the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
You did it again...

even your author's comments were articulated beautifully. This story was perfect in every way. You draw us in early and we fall deeply for the people you share with us. And, yes, they all feel very real to us. There is something in each character that we can relate to. Ignore the few comments that only recognize the boy meets boy/ fall in love/ have something traumatic happen/ reunite forever as HEA. Paris, IL... Really? I live down the road a bit. Bought my wedding dress in the late 80's at Norma's Bridal Train. (So I could forever say my dress came from Paris!) You are amazing at zeroing in on small town mid America in the 80's. My son is in HS now. I have decided to ask him to read your works over Christmas break.

laurencethepoetlaurencethepoetover 8 years ago
Thank you

How masterful. Thank you. I will be a better person starting tomorrow.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
To author

I understand the fact that for most 18 year olds whatever their orientation is 'first love' doesn't end happily. I'm really glad that eric understood that steve can't give what he wanted. What I'm asking from u is to tell us a story about how eric find someone that can give what he wants and is worthy of his time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
WOW

Bravo! Bravo! I laughed, cried and thoroughly enjoyed this story. The speech Eric gave at Graduation blew me the f*ck away. You are such an excellent and prolific writer. I SO look forward to your next endeavor!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
As a 19 year old

I want to thank you, that speech brought me to tears. It resonated in me not only because it was so beautifully placed in the story but it also brought me courage. At times I want to escape this life but this story made me forget, even if for a little while. Reading your stories have always calmed me. Eric's resilience is something I want to muster. I couldn't help but understand the feeling of Eric's anxiety and his reasoning of letting go, it didn't make me happy but I understood it, I'm a sucker for a happy ending but I understand why it ended the way it did. I hope to read more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
something I felt

This is something I just felt. Although steve is struggling doesn't he choose eric after all, what I'm trying to say is that what we hoped to become in our past and what we are now are different.We change our future to acquire what we want, we change our dreams for others, So what I felt is that although steve thinks marrige as in those days is his future, can't he change it for eric, aftre all he wanted eric to stay with him, don't we all change what we want after being with someone who is change the worth, I mean how many are there who never thought they would come out to their parents, have changed that decision to be with someone whose worth it. So as I saw eventually steve would have chosen eric if eric is willing to give him time, proved that he can be steve's future, I mean everything takes time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
This just screams "sequel"

I can hardly wait!!!! Thank you for sharing your talent with us ... For FREE!!

FBG

PaintergirlPaintergirlover 8 years ago
Loved it

I enjoyed this so much. Your characters are real and fragile and so very very beautifully written....

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Nice

This is very sweet, and well written. :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Soooooo glad you are back!!!!

I have been missing your beautiful stories. I checked the site frequently longing to see a new post. You are very talented and a wonderful storyteller. Thank you for sharing your beautifully written, complex characters with us.

canndcanndover 8 years ago

That was a great story as all of yours are. There was so much packed into it. I liked it maybe even more than most of the others b/c of that fact. It was so filled with things to make you think. I would be lying if I didn't say I was waiting for most of it to hear about Evans. I thought that his sending that letter ended up being a tease that went no where, though it did factor sweetly when his mom and him cried and he realized how lucky he was to have an accepting mom. I really want to ask you to write Evans' story. I'd like to see you take on the subject of those horrible places that will torture or mindswipe or do whatever to get the gay out of a person. It would be really interesting. Hell, I think you would be able to make it believable that the two of them meet again. I want to see where Eric's future is too. Evans was very affected by Eric. There was something older about his soul just like Eric's soul. They both had a maturity.

The only thing I didn't buy was that the school would accept him giving the speech. We were shown how backwards they were. The principal said he deserved the beating earlier in the year. No way he was getting up there and giving that speech. Schools make you get that approved too and talk of Barbies, suicide and such wouldn't have made the cut. A beautiful speech though that got me thinking. It was a moving one that belongs at a college graduation so good going. It just wouldn't have made it in (that) Paris. :)

All around great story. I hope you consider Evans' story and maybe a bit of Eric's if you deem it possible. I think the way you did the ending was beautiful. It was so true that they had to be in one another's lives and that would be a challenge for them, even without the rupture he spoke up that would be necessary to break them apart. But, I agree that it would have been inevitable. It was done so lovingly and to end it with him talking to him the way he had that first time and other times was so sweet. I didn't find it as bittersweet b/c I didn't see these two as forever at any point. There were many cool characters in this story that were pretty deep. Of course the mom and michael and lori and even henry had a depth in the end that was admirable. Great stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Excellent story

You have such a gift. It must be wonderful to be able to articulate such feelings so beautifully. I look forward to reading more of your stories. Excellent work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Thank You, darling Man

Great writing again!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
wonderful

every page of this story was wonderful.

dez421dez421over 8 years ago
OMG

I have absolutely no words to express how amazing this story is; yet I felt compelled to just add a comment about how wonderful a writer you are and how you convey truth and love with such realism. 😘

mrsbearmrsbearover 8 years ago
Published?

I know several authors on this site that are published and their stories aren't a 1/4 as good as yours are. Even though I can read your stories on here for free, I'd totally buy them just so I could always have them.

Now regarding the story, fucking brilliant! The ending made me tear up. I'd hoped Evans would find him and that they could be together...or that he was wrong about Steve not being his forever. God, you really know how to put my emotions through the wringer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Love

I love all your stories. The only issue I find in this is the Kinsey scale is 1-6, not ten.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Bravo

Well done all around. Your character development is excellent. You capture the feeling of both the time period and small town place. The rollercoaster realities of early relationships with others is painfully accurate.

I agree that this was a happy ending. It was the ending of their intimate relationship, but not their life relationship, given the shared sibling who will tie them in some way. Eric showed tremendous maturity in understanding this was the best choice for both of them. Holding on to what isn't meant to be would have only been toxic in the end. This preserves the love between them, which can now mature into lifelong caring. The 'in love' for each of them will eventually find its proper place and person.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
...

Uhm... I have fallen in love with this story ( and your other stories as well). Please write another installment of this story. As long as this story was, I feel like I want more, to see what love may come. Please???? - Amour

MbeseMbeseover 8 years ago
Bitter Sweet

I would like to know, is Evans okay? He haunts me. I would love to know of he finally got the love he deserved. You are truly a gifted writer. Your stories stay with me a long time after I finished reading them. I really hope you never stop.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Mbese is right - what about Evans?

Dear DP, I love this story, the intricacies of the relationships and the wisdom of Eric's mum as such a strong woman. I am sure your literary talents can indulge us to follow and know Evans life. He certainly deserves better than being left to anti-gay school. Others characters in the story made their choices. What about Evans? What path will he choose? Thank you for sharing you stories with us - I am most appreciative. Subdued.

CuriousPeteCuriousPeteover 8 years ago
Another Great Story from a Great Writer!

I finished reading "Makeup ..." a few days ago but didn't have time to comment then. Came back and re-read all the other comments. This story was quite a bit "darker" than most of yours (man, what a bunch of mean people in Paris!). But I still loved it and felt it was really real to life, especially for that time frame. I'm thrilled to see that you will be writing two more parts and hopefully Evans will be featured somewhere. And while this story didn't have a immediate HEA, your comment about 18 year-olds is right on target. It would have been fun to read about a hot summer with Eric & Steve but you had them show remarkable maturity in moving on. Can't wait for part 2.

lorenqtlorenqtover 8 years ago
Great story

Great story, I really loved it. I loved the emphasis on character. Some of the things, like being suicidal and the opposition presented against the main character, being transgender, hit home really hard. I really loved reading this story. :-*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
This is an amazing story. I read it until 3:00 AM. The main reason I liked it is because My emotions match those of the narrator. I respected the idea about not being a poser. I enjoyed the character development. I would have enjoyed the story withou

This is an amazing story. I read it until 3:00 AM. The main reason I liked it is because My emotions match those of the narrator. I respected the idea about not being a poser. I enjoyed the character development. I would have enjoyed the story without the sex but that was the much deserved icing. I think you are a great writer and encourage you to write a book for publication. Thank you for a great trip to your imagination.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
lovef it

Great. writing! Just curious how familiar the author is with Paris, as I have lived there? Is the story based on real characters?

DavidPatrickDavidPatrickalmost 8 years agoAuthor
Response to Anonymous

I have never been to Paris. One of my best college friends was from there, so I decided to use it as the setting and researched online a little to get some details.

Lilly216Lilly216over 7 years ago
I Couldn't Stop Reading It

Last night my router died as I tried to turn to page 3...so I took my husband shopping for a new one immediately so I could finish reading it. It's nearly 2 a.m. and I'm sitting in the dark with my iPad recharging at 3%. I loved this story. Is there more to it? After the Princess Bride reference I was hoping to see Eric (eventually) find his HEA.

I can't wait to read more of your work!

DavidPatrickDavidPatrickover 7 years agoAuthor
Hi Lily

There is more. I am working on Part II, which is Eric at college. I have also sketched ideas for Part III, which includes the return of Evans. However, I have gotten distracted by another story and by a change in jobs. :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Amazing

I haven't commented on any story here but I must say this; you are beyond talented. I'm going through all your stories now and I, not only applaud you for your entirely believable albeit whimsical tales, but the way you weave the words... my imagination and my obsession with great floetry and structure have been extremely Dwhetted.

Thank you.

CE300CE300about 7 years ago
Yet another amazing story

David, your stories are truly a work of art. I couldn't stop reading this story! I am a truck driver by trade so most of the day I am spending behind the wheel. So I had Siri read this story to me as I drove and I loved it. Please do not stop writing! You have a great talent that is a much needed refresh to most of the stories on here. But I know as a writer myself how quickly life can get in the way of writing. I do truly hope that you continue this story. To be completely honest I had tears forming in my eyes as this story came to a end. I hope to see more coming! Keep up the great work.

Much Love,

CE300

DavidPatrickDavidPatrickabout 7 years agoAuthor
Author's Response

Funny, my father was a truck driver (he's retired, not dead). I am thinking about a sequel, but it hasn't fully formed (I started it, but got lost on where to take it; I also got sidetracked by "Please Wait for Me" and then by "Chance Encounters").

Thank you all for your kind words. Writing is my refuge, and it helps to know it is resonating with some of you.

Hutchison12Hutchison12almost 7 years ago
Loved it

Whoa what a journey, I have loved all of your stories. The places you take us emotionally is brilliant, they are bittersweet, like life is, I impatiently wait for the sequel; or new stories just fantastic, thank you.

TexWritingRiderTexWritingRideralmost 7 years ago
Awesome verbiage

The story is great and I just love your use of language. Can't wait to read more!

RABrownRABrownover 6 years ago
Wonderful storytelling

I made you my favorite author today because your stories touch something within me. I wonder if the common theme that runs through many of them is something you might have experienced in your own life but that is really too personal a question for me to ask you so it is just rhetorical. The other thing I would like to know is who you really are and need to tell you how much I love the fact that I have yet to read a story of yours without seeking out my dictionary to look up the definition of a word or several. You're writing astounds and amazes on several different levels and thank you for the gift that you share so freely with the rest of us. I wish that you would write novels and maybe you have and just not published them? If you have I would be first in line

EquilibriumorEminenceEquilibriumorEminenceover 3 years ago
Wonderful and sweet

I've read a couple of your stories today and I just wanted to thank you and wish you the best. I was also raised evangelical (straight and female, outside of the Bible Belt, but also homeschooled, so yeah, parts really resonate) and your stories show how you have wrestled with and I think/hope overcome so many of the mental hurtles we're given in that world. You have some fabulous erotic and romantic elements, but I'm feeling a little tipsy and a little sentimental, so I just want to focus on how much love and trust and, for lack of a better word, soul you've clearly put into your stories. I needed to leave god to find peace (and I have), but it seems like you have been able to keep some of the beauty that can be found in religion and faith despite everything. And I really admire that and I really hope you are doing well. I don't know how much is hope and how much is truth, but you capture something really beautiful in your stories. So hopefully you still get comments, because I just want to tell you how much your stories have touched me and how I wish you well and I hope you can hold on to that beauty and grace that you infuse in your stories. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

That end was not IT they deserved to be together forever even though Steve was an asshole most of the time Eric deserved his fairy tale ending, also if Steve was not gay he wouldn’t have sucked and sucked and sucked and sucked and sucked and sucked and sucked and sucked Eric’s dick, that was a little incongruent, no matter how much he loved him...

Kmax1958Kmax1958about 3 years ago

This is my 2nd reading and as with the 1st time, my eyes are wet again. The graduation speech at the end is just terrific! I so love how you write. Keep climbing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Anon 1 years ago,

You are majorly contradicting yourself. Youw ant Eric to have a fairytale HEA ending, but you literally skipped everything in the story about him, and even worse, Steve.

You are not being smart, you just showed that your attention span on reading is awful. Both of them, at the end, are showing signs that they are dealing with their issues as they are slowly adulting.

Eric at the end slowly being able to decide what is best instead of just consulting with his mom and then explodes at the wrong moments when it gets to be a bit too much. For Steve, it's just not love, it's more of that teenager lusting over sex kind of affection. If it's truly love, his actions are a bit too questionable. While I get that the rumors of hanging out with a gay person is overwhelming for someone who is new to that environment, his actions also are not healthy if the relationship is already at that stage.

Ditching Eric for two years when Evan came along, not helping when he knew he would get beat up is just a no no. Still glad the two of them met, though, since some of the character growth won't happen without it.

I hope Evan is not too traumatized in the sequel. I know that DavidPatrick mentioned plans about it for a while now, so I'm just setting it as the canon ending in my head due to that.

Also, this is the same reader who criticized your Juan and John series, and I have to say that you surely have grown in your future stories, and I am glad you are not stuck in the same writing pattern as some others.

steffieboycumssteffieboycumsabout 1 year ago

Your story is a unique masterpiece of contemporary writing. Your down to earth way of expressing your thoughts and feelings are admirable and refreshing. I look forward to reading the rest of your writings with great interest.

Thank you for such an honest, down to earth and unapologetic story!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous