The Council Ch. 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,498 Followers

Stephan stepped forward and nodded. "Everyone is assembled and the security measures are disabled." He was alluding to the complicated entry system to get down to Council chambers. The retinal scanner had been neutralised to allow for the wolves to be able to pass through their defences.

"Good," Caleb answered, reaching out a hand to take Rhianna's firmly in his. "I'm done pissing around with this. Let's go." He led the way down to the Council chambers. Stephan and Cristoph slotted in behind Andrei and Alexei, Pietro and Emily brought up the rear behind the Weres.

They entered the Council chambers with none of the fan fair or theatrics of the last two times the Ancients had entered the chambers. They arrived as a group and marched straight down to the Ancient seating area, ignoring the growls of fury that erupted around the room due to the presence of the wolves.

Ashleigh walked slowly beside Nors, taking her time while his arm supported her. She had insisted on walking on her own two feet. Nors had been going to object, tell her she was still too weak but one look at her stubborn face had made him subside. She didn't want to be seen as weak and he could understand that.

He felt such pride as his wolf held her head high and walked through the gauntlet of the people who had tried to kill her the night before. He still felt fury that they had almost succeeded. He scowled blackly as he glared all around him, letting everyone know in no uncertain terms what would happen if anyone ever tried to touch his woman again.

The growls remained in the room and were continued to be ignored. The wolves sat down, tense and alert, ready to shift at a moment's notice. Andrei spared a moment to search Loretta's eyes intently and then he smiled slowly when she shooed him away. He dropped a quick kiss on her lips, handed her off to Alexei and then peeled away to go and sit beside Stephan and Cristoph at the dais.

Everyone sat with the exception of Caleb. He turned slowly surveying the room, meeting all eyes that glared balefully at them. His people were furious at the wolves presence, furious at their Council being attacked. They would be more furious by the time he had finished; he had no doubt about that.

He didn't give a shit. They would adapt or they would die. He was tired of them never listening; of thinking they could act anyway they wanted to and threaten those he considered under his protection. It was time to end this once and for all. They would bend and obey or they would no longer walk the planet.

"Enough." The word was spoken quietly but it had an instant effect. The growling stopped and silence fell on the room, though the glares remained directed at the sitting group.

Caleb strode into the centre of the audience chamber. His bearing almost had a regal hint to it, his movements graceful and purposeful, and his stride confident and full of intent. He slowly walked the entire room, taking in each irate glare, meeting every look until the eyes slid away from his. His expression was hard and deadly, his amber eyes almost glowing with the power that had lain hidden and dormant within him for so long.

"These Weres are here for a reason," he finally said in a quiet voice. "They're here to ensure that there are no misunderstandings. Scent them, take a good look at them but most importantly remember them because your lives depend on it."

He paused and surveyed the room with cold, hard eyes. "Each and every one of them is under my personal protection. Any vampire who does anything to harm them in any way will be executed on the spot immediately. There will be no questions asked, no appeals for mercy, no listening to any attempts to justify your actions. You will die instantly. I'm tired of fucking around. You didn't learn from Graves' folly, some of you won't learn from The Council's folly. Tonight you will have no excuses. I will not repeat myself again on this topic."

The silence remained in the room, some of the vampires wearing slightly startled expressions. Caleb kept his gaze on the more implacable ones until they slowly looked away from him once more.

He could feel confusion through his bond with Rhianna, disapproval warring with approval. She didn't like his cold blooded words and yet she wanted her family to be safe. He turned his head to look back at her and raised an eyebrow and she rolled her eyes and smiled a little smile. His expression said it all. She couldn't have it both ways.

Rhianna watched him carefully, hiding the little frown which threatened to cross her face. She knew he was pissed and she understood that because she was too. But there was something different about him tonight. There was something radiating through their bond which she couldn't quite place her finger on. It was powerful, frightening even and she had to contain a little shiver of trepidation.

For an instant she felt that something was lurking inside Caleb that she had no knowledge of, something so powerful than when unleashed it would stun the world. It appeared a fanciful idea but she knew that she was right. She was never wrong when she read someone's soul. As she read her beautiful vampire's soul in that moment she realised that there was something within him that she had never seen before and it frightened her.

He appeared to sense her confusion because the feeling dampened down within their bond and she experienced a wave of love so intense she had a hard time not gasping out loud. She searched his eyes intently and then slowly relaxed. Whatever she had sensed they would talk about later.

Caleb turned back to his people. "I brought a handful of those under my protection tonight. Just so there are no misunderstandings my edict stands for all Weres, not just the Hanlon pack and the newly formed Armand-Hanlon pack. Any pack or pride is now under the protection of The Ancients. No Were of any description will be fair game to any vampire ever again.

This enmity stops now, this very instant. I don't give a fuck whether you like it or not. From this moment on you will endure it, learn to cope with it and stay the fuck away from them if you're unable to abide it. This is your one and only warning so heed it well."

They didn't like it. He hadn't expected them to but he did expect them to take note and do as he commanded. He waited for objections, targeted those he knew would the most resistant. If Caleb had to start taking heads he would do so to make his point. Perhaps there was something in his expression, he didn't know but no vampire spoke as they looked at him. He smiled with satisfaction.

"You will all have heard what happened here last night," he said in a more even tone though his presence was still cold and hard. "The Council has been broken. Daniel and Roberto are dead. We are here to choose a new Council but we're going to do this my way. You've proven time and time again that the old ways don't work. It's time for a change."

He turned to the dais and walked slowly towards it. "We have three remaining Council members. They will retain their seats as they have proven that they have the brains to adapt to the changes which are coming."

He reached the dais and walked to stand behind Andrei's chair. "We Ancients have failed our people," Caleb announced, his tone sounding a little weary. "For too long we've held ourselves apart. This was an error in judgement and not one which will be repeated. We begin with the formation of a new Council. But first know this, Andrei and Alexei Romanov will no longer be considered Elders. From this moment on they are Ancients."

That statement did bring a ripple of sound throughout the room. The Romanovs were just under fifty years shy of reaching the vaunted two thousand year old mark which separated Ancient from Elder status. Caleb couldn't just announce that someone was an Ancient like that. Could he?

Startled glances were centred on the Romanovs. If it surprised the twins neither of them gave any outward sign of it, though they did look at each other for a moment before Andrei smiled a little smile and turned away.

"Alexei you are now a member of the Council," Caleb continued as if he hadn't heard the disquiet at his words.

Alexei stared at him for a moment, shock and anger quickly rippling through him, and then he turned to look at Cedar. She was smiling slightly and he could feel a strong rush of pride through their newly created mating bond. He wanted to refuse Caleb. He didn't want to be a bloody Council member. But his woman was so proud of him that he felt his initial resistance melt away almost instantly.

He leaned down and brushed his lips lightly over hers and then he rose and headed to the dais. Cristoph moved seats instantly and he sat down beside his brother and regarded the room with cold eyes daring anyone to object. He may not want to be a Council member but if he was given the role then he would do so to the best of his ability and God help anyone who tried to interfere.

"Two Elders and two Ancients now sit on the Council," Caleb said calmly, walking back to main audience chamber.

He knew what he was about to do would infuriate and rock his people to the core but it was necessary if they were ever to change and evolve. He knew Demetri was going to be furious too and he tried not to smile at the thought of his friend's expression when he had completed this part of his plan.

"We are unbalanced though because our Nation is made up of three distinct groups." He continued walking until he reached the far end of the room.

"Emily," he smiled gently at the rather startled looking Youngling who sat close to the chamber doors. He held out his hand which she took tentatively in his, fear rushing through her that one so Ancient would single her out in any way.

"Do not be nervous, little one." Caleb's tone remained gentle as he pulled her down the room with him and came to stop in front of Mara. His smile for the brunette was wide and full of affection. "Coming?" he teased lightly.

Demetri growled as Mara's eyes went wide with surprise but she stood slowly and followed him as he led the two women to the dais. Stephan had provided the extra chair which Caleb had asked for earlier and it was already in place beside Cristoph.

In deathly silence The Ancient seated the two women at the table, Emily beside Stephan who was rigid with shock and Mara beside Cristoph who had a slightly wild expression in his eyes.

"I'm going to fucking kill you," Demetri hissed in Caleb's head, his words full of fury. His friend had not mentioned anything of this to him and for good reason. He would have refused and Caleb knew it.

"Calm down," Caleb laughed softly. "She's going to have a ball and you know it. No one would dare touch her as she's under your protection. Mara's way too intelligent to be running a bloody nightclub. If she can keep you in line then she can keep any vampire in line."

Demetri settled slightly, catching Mara's eyes and seeing the confusion in them but also the excitement too. Caleb was right. She would be formidable on the Council once she got over the shock of it. Still, his friend could have warned him about his plan so it wasn't such a shock. They would most definitely be having a little 'chat' about this later.

"From here on in the Council will have a core membership of six which will represent each section of our people, two Ancients, two Elders and two Younglings," Caleb said firmly, a quiet authority in his tone which brooked no arguments.

"This Council will choose another six vampires to complete the new Council of twelve. It is obvious a Council of five is too small to rule our people wisely. It is too easy for an individual to grab control and steer our people in the wrong direction. This way it will be harder to have a power struggle as occurred between Andrei and Daniel and led to the fiasco of last night."

His eyes met Andrei's and they locked gazes. His words were meant for the new Ancient as much as they were meant for everyone else. While he didn't blame Andrei for what had happened, he had only been trying to protect his mate and the Weres, but his actions had been what had triggered Daniel to act.

Andrei glared furiously at Caleb for a moment, incensed with the changes he was bringing and the not so subtle slap he had just given him. He could feel his rage building quickly and was ready to react when he suddenly blinked slowly and turned his head to look at Loretta who had raised an eyebrow in his direction. He relaxed back in his chair as his mate soothed him through their bond.

"You have a daughter to bring up, Andrei," Loretta laughed softly. "She'll be much more challenging than any Council business."

She was right. His priorities had shifted. He was still in a position of power to protect what was his but he didn't need to do it all on his own now. He had others to help him. His need for power evaporated in an instant, his fury melting away.

"A Council of twelve can be deadlocked," a voice said from the gathered vampires. Everyone turned to look at Philippe who had stood up and was watching Caleb intently. He was a member of the previous Council and appeared to be the only one brave enough to speak. "What happens when a decision cannot be reached, Caleb?"

It was a valid question and one the Ancient had been expecting. "Then the Council will ask the Ancients to decide," he answered coolly.

That brought another startled murmur of sound from the room. The Ancients had never gotten involved in politics before, they had always held themselves apart. Now they were going to be actively involved?

Philippe looked surprised and pursed his lips. "By my reckoning there will be four Ancients not on the Council," he remarked dryly. "What if you can't agree and become deadlocked?"

Caleb smiled slowly, but the smile never met his eyes and his expression turned deadly as if he anticipated disagreement with his next words. "Then my vote will be final," he answered quietly.

"Outrageous!" a voice called, a blond Elder standing up and glaring at him. "You would set yourself above all others, Caleb? This is unacceptable! We rule by Council, not by an individual. You are not our King!"

Others stood and shouted their agreement with the Elder. Caleb merely watched them calmly until they stopped speaking then he smiled slowly.

"Have you finished?" he asked coldly when they had subsided. He didn't wait for their agreement his amber eyes turning hard. "Then sit the fuck down and shut up! This is not open to debate. This is how it will now be. Live with it."

He ignored them and turned to survey the room slowly. "I said we Ancients had failed you and I meant it. We will not do so again. We will drag our people kicking and screaming into the twenty-first century whether you like it or not. Accept it or you will inevitably lose your heads, the choice is entirely yours. The time for change is here. I strongly suggest you all embrace it willingly."

His eyes met Rhianna's and he suddenly felt exhausted. He just wanted to take his woman home and lie in her arms as she soothed him as only she could. Her lavender eyes were shining so brightly that for a moment he thought she had tears in them but then he realised they were full of love and such pride that he felt his resolve strengthen in an instant. He crossed the room to her and touched her cheek gently.

"The final thing I have to say on this matter refers once more to the Weres," he said quietly. "Vampires and Weres have mated. This brings new challenges to both our people. We are all learning what this means for us. Once a month the Vampire Council will meet with representatives from the Were population. I leave it up to our new allies on how they draw up their own Council. Any issues can be discussed at this meeting; any joint accords can be reached. The Ancients will be available if we are required to mediate any discussions."

He was greeted by silence though his gaze slid from Rhianna to look at Jared and Rafe. They were both watching him intently, slightly stunned by his announcement.

Jared suddenly rolled his eyes and nodded once at his friend. Caleb's words made sense. If the Weres and vampires could come together then maybe, just maybe, the enmity would stop.

He thought back over his friendship with Ancient. It had taken time but they had becomes friends by initially learning to respect each other. Rhianna and Rafe's entrance into their lives had enhanced that friendship to what it was now. Interacting with the vampires was the best way forward. He didn't think it would be easy but he was willing to give it a try.

"You forgot one thing, Caleb," Demetri said with a small smile teasing at his lips. He was already getting used to seeing his wife sitting at the Council dais. Instead of kicking the shit out of his friend, maybe they would just sit and have a proper discussion about what he expected Caleb to tell him before he blithely went ahead and did things his own way.

His friend looked at him with a little frown. "Did I?"

Demetri turned to look at Loretta who blinked slowly back at him and then looked at Caleb.

"Ah, yes, I did," Caleb smiled as he looked at the pretty brunette. He turned back to the room. "Mated vampires and Weres can produce young," he announced. "Naturally none of us know what the outcome of that will be as it's something new. Whatever the children will be, they will be protected at all costs. No Were or vampire will harm any child born of the matings. Any who tries will be executed."

Shock rippled around the room. There had been muttered whispers that Andrei had sired a child with a wolf but most of them had disregarded it, sure it was made up. Finding out that it was indeed fact was too shocking to comprehend. Vampires couldn't have children. None of them even wanted to.

When no one spoke at that revelation Caleb continued. "I believe that covers just about everything," he said firmly. He turned to the dais. "I trust you can take it from here?"

"I think we can manage," Andrei answered drolly. Caleb had thrown him so many curve balls he was still trying to wrap his head around them all. It was going to be a nightmare sorting it all out. It would take days just to finalise the Council. Then they would need to ensure records were kept to document the matings in case any other vampires were so inclined. The list of things to do was endless.

"Then I'll leave the Council to their work," Caleb said with a small smile. He had no illusions that things would be in an uproar for a while. He had complete faith that the six he had installed in the new Council would be able to handle it.

"Be assured that this is the last time I will speak of this," he finished up slowly, looking around the room. "If so much as a hair is harmed on any Weres' head, if any mated pair or their children come to any harm, I will personally hunt down the culprits and end your lives."

He let his words sink in around the room. He knew there would be some opposition but it wouldn't be done openly. No, there would be secret meetings, plots being put in place, plans hatched to try and halt the change which was coming. The Council would know too and they would work on rooting out any dissent. Or so he hoped.

Finally he'd had enough. He just wanted to go home. He turned to Rhianna and held out his hand. She was at his side in an instant as she always was. The smile she gave him shone with such adoration that he couldn't resist smiling back at her or leaning down and placing a light kiss on her lips.

"Let's go home," he breathed softly, wrapping an arm around her and striding purposefully out of the room.

The Weres followed, though Loretta and Cedar stopped briefly to speak to their mates.

"We'll be a while," Andrei told them. "It'll probably be best if you stay at the compound until we get finished up here. We'll come and get you."

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,498 Followers