The Council Ch. 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alexei agreed and after brief goodbyes they left with others. The only one of them who stayed was Demetri. There was no way in hell he was leaving his wife's side while she did what was required as a Council member.

He didn't get involved but he stayed in the room and watched all the vampires slowly leave, keeping an eye on who left together so he could get a jump start on any factions which may be building.

Emily was sitting rather shell shocked at Stephan's side. She turned to look at him and saw he was watching her with a very neutral expression. Was he angry with her? She hadn't asked for this. She was the worst possible choice to be a Council member. "Stephan, I don't know what to do."

His expression softened slightly and his lips curled in a small smile. "I will help you," he answered quietly. He had been stunned when Caleb had placed her on the Council, completely perplexed at the Ancient's choice. Emily was too human in her thought processes to be able to cope with being on the Council.

And then he realised that was why Caleb had chosen her and also Mara. The Council needed that humanity so they could remember what they used to be. The Ancient was very shrewd.

Mara didn't feel any intimidation at all. Demetri was lounging in his chair as if he was bored but she knew better. He was alert and ready to kick ass if it was required. Caleb had shocked her by choosing her. She would have thought he would have chosen Annie to sit on the Council as her gift for always knowing the right thing to do would have been invaluable.

She met all the eyes at the dais, eyed up the vampires she didn't know well to try and get a feel of them, and then she looked at the Romanovs and gave them a mock glare. "Don't you two think you can bully Emily and me because we're Younglings and you're now Ancients. We're Council members just like the rest of you and our opinions count just as much."

It was Alexei who laughed loudly and shook his head. He was coming to like Mara immensely since they had first met. She was so suited to Demetri and it was funny to watch her take his friend to task as she did.

"We wouldn't dream of it, Mara," he replied still laughing. "I don't want my ass kicked by your husband for one thing but most importantly, age counts for nothing on the Council. Intelligence and a keen, smart mind is what gains you respect here."

A snorted laugh came from the bench where Demetri sat. "You'll regret saying that," he drawled with a soft smile for his wife. "She's a piranha when she gets going."

"Shut up or get out," Mara growled softly though her eyes were twinkling with laughter at his words. She knew he would back her up completely even though she didn't need it. Just knowing he was there for her was enough to give her the courage to take on this new task which has suddenly landed in her lap.

"Yes dear," Demetri laughed lightly, his eyes promising retribution for her smart mouth. She shivered with delight and turned her attention back to the other members of the Council. It was time to do some work.

*****

Rhianna was quiet on the drive back home, so quiet that Caleb was starting to feel a little concerned. He couldn't sense anything negative through their bond but he was aware that he had shown a lot more of his more feral side recently and it had concerned her in the Council chambers.

Was it a side of him that perhaps she wouldn't like so much? He had done what was necessary to ensure that their family and friends remained safe. He wouldn't apologise for it but he didn't want it to be an issue between them.

He followed her into the sitting room, his gaze never leaving her face. Whatever she was thinking had her so engrossed she all but threw herself down on the sofa. Then she looked at him and smiled. He relaxed instantly. It was her usual smile, the one that sent little shivers of pleasure through him and made him think all sorts of erotic, lustful things.

"Why are you looking so sheepish?" she asked with a little laugh. "You were really quite magnificent tonight, Caleb. You even managed to frighten me at one point and that takes a lot." Her tone was rueful as she spoke.

He was at her side immediately, frowning as he gathered her up onto his lap and wrapped his arms around her. "Don't ever be frightened of me, Annie," he said in a tortured voice, crushing her tightly to his chest. "Not you. Never you. I would die before I ever did anything which would harm you."

She laughed softly and cuddled into him. "I know that, silly," she sighed relaxing against him with such trust. "Stop overreacting to my words. I was just trying to tell you how impressive you were. Hopefully our people will have been in equal awe of your performance."

Caleb relaxed once more, his hold on his woman becoming more tender and his concern evaporating a bit. "Don't hold your breath on that one," her remarked dryly. "The Council are going to have to be on their toes keeping an eye on everyone."

Rhianna tilted her head back to look up at him. Her breath caught as she marvelled once more at how lucky she was to have this wonderful man love her so unconditionally.

Had it really been less than three years since they had first met, when her life had suddenly changed so completely and she was thrown into a world of vampires and werewolves and all manner of crazy stuff? She felt as if she had been with him forever, that he had always been a part of her very existence.

"Why didn't you choose me for the Council?" she asked unexpectedly, catching the faint flicker of unease that crossed his face before he quickly smoothed his expression.

"I chose the right people for the job," he answered his tone slightly evasive and his eyes not quite meeting hers.

"I would have thought I was the right person for the job," she persisted feeling a slight trepidation come over her. "Everyone's always telling me I know the right thing to do all the time. I should have been first choice when it came to selecting Younglings."

"Annie, leave it," he answered quietly, his eyes finally meeting hers fully. His expression was closed and guarded, his feelings wound tight within their bond. "Just trust me that I made the correct decisions tonight."

She didn't want to let it go. He was hiding something from her and she didn't like it one bit. They had no secrets between them. The only time Caleb got like this was when he was foolishly trying to protect her from something.

She opened her mouth to argue with him but he silenced her with a kiss. She tried not to succumb to his hot mouth slanting over hers so deliciously but it was a hopeless fight so she gave up with a bit too much alacrity. He was obviously not going to answer her tonight so she would have to try again in the morning.

Caleb almost sighed with relief when his woman stopped pressing him. He knew the time was coming when he would have to answer her questions but he wanted more time with her, to relax and love her and have a moment's peace before he had to do the inevitable.

Keeping his mouth firmly attached to hers, he rose with her in his arms and carried her upstairs to their room. He then spend the next two hours showing her just how much he loved her, just how much he couldn't live without her in his life and most importantly, in his arms.

He couldn't get enough of her soft skin or the warmth of her beautiful body embracing his. He made love to her almost in desperation until he was finally sated and she lay exhausted in his protective embrace.

"You're going to have to tell me at some point," she sighed sleepily running a hand lightly over his sweat slickened skin. "I will be patient for a little while, love, but I'm not going to wait forever."

He tensed slightly and then relaxed, a rueful smile crossing his face as he brushed her tangled curls from her face and kissed her lightly. "I know, sweet one," he breathed softly. "We will talk soon. I promise you."

He kissed her again, deeply this time, and then he settled her against his chest and closed his eyes. For the moment he still had time but he knew it wouldn't last long. He had every intention of taking that time and spending it in peace and quiet with his woman before things changed. He needed this time with his precious Annie, because he didn't know just what the future would hold for them when the truth came out.

To be continued...