The Creepers Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So," Diamondback said with as much enthusiasm as she could muster, "did I miss anything?"

Rain gave a nervous giggle. "Nah. I heard there was some sort of scuffle over at the bridge, but it was no big deal." It was the elder girl's turn to laugh, which ended quickly due to the pain and coughing. Rain looked at her with total concern.

"So, do I look as bad as I feel?"

"Do you want me to answer that as your lover or as an impartial observer?"

"The second one."

"You look like you got trampled by a herd of cattle and then got kicked while you were down."

"That feels just about right."

"Hey . . . Don't ever scare me like that again, okay?"

"I'll try and avoid it."

Rain was looking at her with great concern. She looked around to make sure there was no one else was in earshot. "Listen, they didn't want to talk to about this to you. They probably thought you'd be mad at them for acting like they did . . ."

"Who?"

"Everyone." She sighed. "When Stampede and Thunder showed up at the bridge, you had just gone down. I saw Red Back's eyes. I've never seen anyone that angry in my life. All the Creepers looked like that. And when Warhorse and Gattling saw you, they went pretty berserk too. Gattling wasn't kidding! They weren't out to win a fight. They were going to wipe those fucking things off the face of the earth! And I wanted to help them." She looked down at their clasped hands. "I've never wanted to hurt anyone. But I wanted to kill them. I wanted to cut their throats for what they did to you!" Rain had to slow down when she realized how angry she was getting. Diamondback was choked up. She had never seen Rain like this, and she could only love the young woman more, though she was scared that Rain was headed down a path she might not be able to return from. "Once the cavalry had arrived, all the Creepers forgot the rest of the world existed. They just stood around and did whatever Copperhead told them to do. And she was crying. Copperhead was crying the entire time she was trying to save your life. I've never . . . I can't imagine what it was like. But she saved you."

"She's amazing," muttered Diamondback. "I brought her on because I knew she would save someone's life someday." She stared absently forward. "I never imagined . . ."

"I never realized how much you meant to them," said Rain, her eyes glistening. "When they thought you might . . . well, might not make it, they kept shifting between rage and hopelessness."

Diamondback tried vainly to fight back her own tears. "They would have . . ."

"They wouldn't have been fine," interrupted Rain. "You aren't just a leader to them. I've listened to them tell stories, the Creepers and the other Legionnaires, about all the people you've helped. All the people who are safe because of you. Everyone in the Legion . . . You're not just a hero. You're the one that heroes look up to."

Diamondback struggled to turn her head away. She couldn't even express how she was feeling. She found herself scared. She hadn't been scared on the wall. That was a job she knew. But what Rain was saying . . . she didn't know if she could handle that responsibility. But Rain wasn't done.

"And Red Back wasn't lying about the people from Seattle. All of them came by at some point or another to check on you. They brought flowers and gifts . . . anything they had to give."

"Please stop," whispered Diamondback. "I can't hear this."

Rain looked confused. "I . . . I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Diamondback was still staring into space. "I don't want that," she muttered. "I just want to be a soldier."

Rain gripped her hand a little more tightly and turned Diamondback's face back towards her. "I know. And that just makes you more special. It's why there are hundreds of people within shouting distance who would follow you anywhere. It's why others sing songs about you. And it's just another reason I'll never let you out of my sight again."

Diamondback wished she had something witty or particularly romantic to say; something that would emphasize just how much she loved Rain. The only thing she managed to say was, "Oh!"

"What?"

"Remember what Copperhead said about me feeling wiped out . . ." Whatever painkillers she had received when she woke up kicked in all of a sudden, and she drifted off to sleep. The last thing she felt was the presence of a soft, tiny hand tucked in her own callused hand, and then nothing.

-------- ---------------

A week later . . .

-------- ---------------

It was a week before the Captain of the Creepers was able to get out of bed, and even then she required assistance. She wasn't used to having to lean on anyone, but Rain wouldn't take no for an answer. Before leaving, Sergeant Malloy returned the pistols she had lost on the third barricade, earning him her eternal gratitude. But gratitude seemed too small of a concept for how he apparently regarded her. Words escaped him, so he gave her a gentle hug and kissed her hand before departing.

Much to Diamondback's chagrin, it turned out her uniform was beyond the help of even the most talented seamstress. There were more holes in it than actual fabric, and there was a fair amount of blood caked on it. She realized that the uniform represented the only clothing she actually had. But Rain corrected that, going out amongst the locals and the refugees and piecing together an outfit for her friend. Initially, the captain was positively aghast at the idea of wearing non-military clothes, much less something as "casual" as Rain had in mind. The girl had found a pair of incredibly billowy slacks made of an extraordinarily soft, black material. When she was standing still, it almost looked like she was wearing an ankle-length dress. The top was green, but was made of the same type of material. Unfortunately, it left Diamondback's midriff exposed which made her very uncomfortable. Her abdomen was still heavily bandaged, making her feel very vulnerable. But bless them, her squad-comrades avoided doing any serious teasing. She was having a difficult enough time as it was. Rain had secured a similar outfit for herself, but all in white. Diamondback couldn't help but notice it looked much better on her curvaceous girlfriend than it did on her own body. Diamondback found herself a little resentful of her body for the first time, wishing she wasn't quite so much lines and angles.

A few more weeks passed, and she felt her strength returning. She still needed help moving around due to her knee (which she didn't even remember hurting), but leaning on Rain didn't seem nearly so bad as she thought it would. Most of the bruising had gone away or at least was in the sickly yellow stage that came before vanishing, and the swelling in her knee was decreasing. She was going to have a few more scars on her leg and another one on her face, but that was part of the territory. When Copperhead changed the bandages on her abdomen, the wound was obviously healing well. The doctor insisted on keeping it clean, which Diamondback didn't mind because it meant a sponge bath that Rain inevitably insisted on doing. It was the closest thing to intimacy the two could achieve under those circumstances, but it would have to do.

Being around the other Creepers was strange. While the camaraderie was still there, her troops seemed to hold a reverence for her that hadn't been there before. The refugees, just as Red Back had warned, stopped just short of getting on their knees and worshiping as she walked by. They offered her food, clothes, or whatever else by way of their meager belongings they could spare. Of course she refused to accept those things. But since her physical activity was limited, she would sit with those people and talk with them for hours. Rain would sit beside her or behind her with her arms wrapped around the solider, as if afraid Diamondback would go away again. The Captain listened to stories of their homeland and their journey, trying to get a feel for the people her squad had risked so much to save. She found herself wishing she could visit this place, in a non-military capacity of course. She would love to see the Pacific Ocean just once in her life. Every one of the refugees swore they would take her there someday. She would look over at Rain and asked if the young woman would go with her.

"Just try and stop me," was the response she got.

She was just beginning to be able to walk on her own, much to her girlfriend's disappointment, when Gateway rolled into Chicago. Gateway was a Legion Squad of solar powered vehicles that was used to transport important personnel and/or supplies around the areas controlled by the Legion, so seeing them was a bit of a shock. The blonde rider from Seattle had returned with it, and she immediately went looking for Rat. Besides her, the caravan had brought additional food, blankets, and other supplies to the new inhabitants of Chicago. And it also brought General Anderson and his bodyguards. Anderson was the man in charge of all Legion squads outside of the island of Manhattan, and his presence was no small deal. Diamondback found herself very much wishing she had some kind of uniform.

Before long he had called the Creepers to his command tent, which had been set up the moment he arrived. All the Creepers, as well as the Seattle-ite rider Lisa who would speak on behalf of her people as necessary, were there by the time Diamondback hobbled in. Diamondback was very self-conscious of her dressed-down appearance as, being the captain of the squad, she was forced to sit up front. Rain, etiquette be damned, sat just behind her and was flanked by Red Back and Cobra.

Anderson was a very well respected man who had gotten where he was by twenty years of service in the First Squad of the Legion, a group of melee specialists called the Slaughterhouse. He put the safety and well being of his troops above all else, which had earned their respect. As he sat at the table that had been set up for him, he took a long glance over the faces of everyone in the room. It was hard to read his intentions; he had spent a long time developing that poker face. Finally, he rested his gaze on the Captain of the Creepers.

"So, Captain Diamondback," he started, then paused to rub his eyes in a tired fashion, "let me get this straight. You took a squad of ten soldiers, marched all the way to Bismarck, North Dakota, picked up a group of refugees you weren't equipped to handle and led them, along with a pursuing army, all the way back to Chicago and in the direction of Legion territory? And you did this after engaging in a number of clean-up operations which you yourself initiated?"

Diamondback could only nod.

"And then you took the Legion's best snipers and fifty caravan guards, no offense intended Ms. Lisa, and engaged an enemy force over twenty times your number in a sustained firefight, despite knowing the odds of survival?"

She nodded again. She knew she was in trouble. She had needlessly endangered her troops in a non-Legion matter. She sensed her squad growing restless and fidgety behind her. She managed to get to her feet. It was customary for someone to be standing when a discipline was handed down. "Yes sir. I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I stand by my decisions."

General Anderson scrunched up his brow a bit. "Captain Diamondback, are you under the impression I'm mad at you or that I'm going to punish you? Even if that were the case, which it very much isn't, I'd never make it out of Chicago alive. About three of your people started palming their weapons as soon as my tirade began." He was smiling then, and he got a laugh at of most everyone in the tent. Then his look took on a serious tone. "Young lady, we are trying to put together a new world under the most difficult of circumstances. Now, we could go to war with everyone and try and bring peace through superior firepower, but the world figured out long before we got here that that particular philosophy doesn't work in the long run. The only way it will work is if the people we are trying to help believe it can happen. You have done wonders for that cause. Even those who are hesitant to believe in the Legion believe in you. And for those of us who believe that there is better world to be had, I say that we all owe you a debt we might never be able to repay."

Diamondback's heart was in her throat. This wasn't what she expected at all.

"Now, where was I? Oh yes. Since punishing you is out of the question, I guess I might as well promote you."

This got a gasp from the crowd, and the Captain of the Creepers fell back onto her chair, wincing slightly. She just sat there with her jaw on her chest.

"And please close your mouth," he continued. "It makes you look silly. Anyway, your new title will be Colonel Diamondback. I figure all I'm doing is giving you the authority to do all the stuff you just did, which covers both our asses. And in case of joint operations between Legion squads in the field, it means that if I'm not there, you're in charge." The entire squad was stunned. "Which means that your second in command . . . That would be you Red Back . . . is now a Captain. Captain Red Back, you now have the option of starting a new squad or staying on with the Creepers as the next in line for the leadership."

"Not goin' anywhere."

"I figured. You people are a strangely loyal bunch. Okay, what all did I have to do?" He seemed to be muttering to himself. "Let's see, thank Diamondback, promote her . . . oh yeah! The Creepers are going to have to grow a bit. I know you like the smaller size, but your promotion means you're important now. Or is it that you are MORE important now? I forget. And also I think it's a good idea, since you have determined that you're going to go pick fights with kids bigger than you. You might want to rethink your backup weapon situation as well, for pretty much the same reason. You'll still have final say on who gets in, but I think that a squad of thirty would be more appropriate for one of your standing. But I'm not going to pull you all the way back to Manhattan. Since Thunder and Stampede have been so influenced by you," he said with a bit of exasperation, "that, without any orders to do so, they have gone charging to the other side of the continent, we'll need someone to get the outpost set up in Charleston. I figured that would be a good place for you until you're healed up and you've got your new members situated. Now then . . ."

"Sir," said Diamondback finding her voice. "I'm . . . I'm afraid I can't do that." Stunned silence. "I appreciate your confidence in me, but . . ."

"I'm sorry, but are you refusing your promotion or . . ."

"I can't live in Legion territory at this time."

"Love, you don't have to . . ." That was Rain, who realized she had just spoken out in a meeting she wasn't even supposed to be at and quickly became silent again.

Andrews was stroking his beard. "I believe this warrants an explanation."

Diamondback couldn't think of a brilliant or particularly witty to say, so she went with the truth and prayed. "As the young woman behind me has just made apparent, she and I are involved. By that, I mean I'm in love with her." The General's eyes narrowed a bit, but Diamondback blundered on. "But she isn't a citizen of the Legion and for reasons of her own, which I don't feel it is my place to discuss, she won't submit to the rules of citizenship." Her heart was going a mile a minute at that point, but she had gone too far to stop. "And I'm not willing to go anywhere without her. Sir." She took a deep breath and waited.

General Anderson just sat there massaging his temples while his eyes slowly closed. "Let me get this straight. You're turning down a promotion and your own base and access to our most advanced weaponry because . . . you're in love. Do you have any idea of how much of a headache you're giving me?"

"No sir."

"That was supposed to be rhetorical. You know there are rules about anyone living for any length of time in Legion territory. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out which 'rules' she probably has problems with." He looked directly at Rain. "Since you're here anyway, can I hazard a guess as to the source of your concern?" Rain just stared blankly, afraid to speak. "Not a big fan of the breeding program?" She shook her head. "Me neither. But, as even Diamondback here will attest to, it has been a necessary evil. And while we have recently begun consideration of changing the rules, we are currently obligated to abide by them." He looked deep in thought for a moment. "There is a way we can get around this, but the choice," he indicated towards Diamondback, "will be up to you."

She wasn't sure what he was going to say, but she'd gladly give up any of the benefits he had just offered in order to . . .

"You'd have to marry her."

You could have heard a pin drop in the tent for almost a full thirty seconds. The General was grinning, probably at his own cleverness. Finally, Diamondback spoke up.

"Uhm, marry her? Sir?"

"Yes. The rules as they stand also state that the spouse of a legionnaire can, with permission of the Captain of that particular squad, travel with the squad wherever they might go. This might be construed as a conflict of rules, which are ruled upon by the highest-ranking officer present. Which would be you. I see it as more of exploiting a loophole than actually breaking any rules. And if the marriage takes place outside of Legion territory, such as . . . oh, say, right here . . . before you return to Legion territory . . . oh, say, in the next week or so . . . Well, I think that should squash most criticisms. So, any questions or objections?"

Diamondback had completely lost the ability to speak, but Rain squealed with delight and wrapped her arms around the stunned soldier.

Red Back was still a bit off balance himself due to his own sudden promotion, but managed to raise his hand. "Sir . . ."

"Yes Captain Red Back?"

Red Back scrunched his eyes, then realized that "Captain" referred to him. "That sounds so weird. Anyway, is that even legal? I'm not familiar with the marriage laws, but . . ."

"I'm pretty sure it's legal. At least, there is nothing that specifically prohibits marrying a non-legionnaire, or of two women getting married. Did you know that back before the Cleansing, some halfwit overlord actually tried to make it illegal for people to get married just because they were both women? Never quite understood that. But since there are no Legion rules actually prohibiting it, then I say it's legal. So Colonel, what will it be?"

Diamondback slowly turned around. Rain had a look of total joy on her face. Her skin was flushed and her eyes sparkled, and she was trembling in anticipation.

"Well . . ." started Diamondback. "Rain, will you marry me?"

There were a flurry of words that all sounded like "yes" as the young woman wrapped her arms around her then-fiancée. She kissed the Colonel all over her face and took a long drink at her lips before realizing the entire tent was staring at them.

"Oh, what the hell," said General Anderson with a satisfied smirk, "meeting adjourned. As you were."

And the tent erupted with the cheers of the Creepers as Diamondback and Rain melted into each other's arms and engaged in a kiss that lasted for a full minute. Both were struggling to hold back tears of joy.

General Anderson shouted at one of his aids, "Get me a drink. Hell, get everyone here a drink. I certainly need one after dealing with this bunch."

----------------- ----

Days later . . .

----------------- ----

The next few days all blurred together in Colonel Diamondback's mind. She had no clue as to what went into a wedding, so she let some local women throw everything together. All she had to do was pick a "best man," for which she picked Red Back. Rain asked Copperhead to be her "maid of honor," which the legionnaire gladly agreed to be. The ceremony took place two days after the meeting, and was presided over by General Anderson himself. Rain had insisted that Diamondback wear something "dress-like," which the soldier had reluctantly agreed to. But she refused to wear white. The same people who had provided the comfort clothes she had been wearing since she got out of the infirmary came up with a black, sleeveless dress that hugged the abdomen and had a minimal amount of flare at the bottom. Even Diamondback acknowledged that it wasn't a bad choice. Rain, of course, wore a similar dress that was white in color.